Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2019, 13:34   #931
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Exterior looks great. Especially loved the sharp looking front. But, slightly disappointed by the interiors. There is no WOW factor. Maybe, it's the bland color scheme. Was expecting much more from Tata. The touchscreen seems a direct lift from Nexon. All depends on pricing and features now.
harry10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 13:40   #932
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

The interior could have been spruced up with black colour. Why are big headlights in vogue in this country ? On this it looks like travelling all the way to the cabin.
Also, Tata uses a lot of curves in its design lately. No straight lines !
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 13:50   #933
BHPian

I see a blue/Sea-green tinge just below the touchscreen physical buttons. Is it for real? If it is some mood lightning, it will look fabulous at night.

On the overall car, it is not very exciting. The rear is just too busy and dark, while, the interiors are bland. Tata only has one trump card now- pricing but with all the 'Gold' association, i doubt that as well unless Tata is talking about 14 karat Gold
tarik.arora is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 13:58   #934
Distinguished - BHPian

1. FINALLY a Tata car that has a properly usable storage space between the gear lever & the waterfall fascia! Thank heavens. I hope it carries a wireless charger for those tech savvy customers with such phones.
  2. So far, haven't received a single image showing an automatic gear stick. Hopes sinking...
  3. Tata design team sure is going to have a lot of haters in the car washers / cleaners community! So many creases, crevasses & cuts. A nightmare for them to reach & clean
Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
The interior could have been spruced up with black colour. Why are big headlights in vogue in this country ? On this it looks like travelling all the way to the cabin.

Also, Tata uses a lot of curves in its design lately. No straight lines !
In fact - its after a long while that we are seeing some sharp cuts and straight lines on a Tata car. The last one to have that was the SUMO. Everything else afterwards has been spheres, balloons & eggs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarik.arora View Post
I see a blue/Sea-green tinge just below the touchscreen physical buttons. Is it for real? If it is some mood lightning, it will look fabulous at night.
Yes I believe its mood lighting and indeed does look good. Nice shade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarik.arora View Post
On the overall car, it is not very exciting. The rear is just too busy and dark, while, the interiors are bland. Tata only has one trump card now- pricing but with all the 'Gold' association, i doubt that as well unless Tata is talking about 14 karat gold
Interiors look quite sober IMO. Not overdone, very practical with good storage spaces, chunky grips & good looking materials. The 12V socket cover etc look quite neat. And the steering wheel is the star of the show for sure. I'd pay a big premium just for that 1 piece. Even more if it has reach adjustment.

While a lot of enthusiasts are going to demand a BLACK interior, I think this grey shade actually works a lot. I have it in the Nexon & it gives a much more practical ambiance. Quite airy.

Remember - the Altroz is a fairly compact car. Black interiors will make it appear even smaller. One shouldn't try and appear smaller in the cabin when competing with the Jazz & Baleno. I think that dictated the interior shade.

Last edited by Reinhard : 3rd December 2019 at 14:03.
Reinhard is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 14:00   #935
Senior - BHPian

Honestly, the interior does not look any worse or better than the i20 and or the Baleno. Baleno has that giant wall of plastic as the dashboard and I was never fond of the shiny bits under the infotainment system. I quite like the faux aluminium finish of the Altroz interior and I agree, some mood lighting will be a game changer.

The only thing I am absolutely not fond of is that generic Tata steering wheel design.
avishar is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 14:04   #936
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
The only thing I am absolutely not fond of is that generic Tata steering wheel design.
But isn't the Altroz coming with the all new sporty multi function steering? The one in the images above seems like straight from a European premium car! I'll pay just to hold it for few minutes .
Reinhard is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 14:16   #937
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
But isn't the Altroz coming with the all new sporty multi function steering? The one in the images above seems like straight from a European premium car! I'll pay just to hold it for few minutes .
Oh is it? At a glance I thought it was the same as the Tiago steering. Nothing wrong with it, but I thought they could come up with something new for the Altroz.

The Altroz looks good, especially in that red. However, the problem I see is that with Tata just good or as good won't work. Because this company's perception among customers usually starts of as underwhelming! It is always an upward battle for Tata. Also there is no denying that Tata cannot seem to shake-off its Indica design elements in its current products and that might be a turn-off. Actually the Tiago and the Nexon looked a lot fresher.

So it is down to price and features, and Tata really needs to go for the kill and be aggressive just for once. But reading about the discussion about 'future' engines, 'future' transmissions, 'future' features points to another incomplete launch by Tata.

Hyundai will not be so charitable with the next gen i20 (which spyshots show a big infotainment screen and digital instrument cluster).
Old 3rd December 2019, 14:23   #938
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
Nothing, absolutely nothing seems exciting about the car, interiors are blandish, exteriors will never pull someone to the showroom, the only cat which is yet to out of the bag are the specs and I'm not gonna bet big on anything special there as well.

600-700 copies to start off with and 8 months down the lane 200 - 300 odd.

With a minimum of an expected 5.5 Ex, there is nothing that pulls the right strings for this car.
Baleno, with that third grade interior sells 15k units per month, so I am pretty confident, the sales numbers will be in four digits for this car. Rumoured engine options are a 100~ HP turbo petrol and the detuned version of the fantastic powerful 1.5 from the Nexon, if rumours come out to be true, then the engine options are above average. Exteriors are subjective, I personally think it looks rather nice.

Is it so hard to wait for the reviews to actually come out, before you begin your tirade?

Give the car a chance, let us wait and watch whether if it's a "dud in the making" or not.

Last edited by SaiSW : 3rd December 2019 at 14:32.
SaiSW is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 14:23   #939
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Oh is it? At a glance I thought it was the same as the Tiago steering. Nothing wrong with it, but I thought they could come up with something new for the Altroz.
Thicker & angular grip, more buttons - including thumb buttons for horn (Indians' dream come true ), cruise control, flat bottom and sweet looking leather wrap.

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-altrozsteering.jpg
Reinhard is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 14:26   #940
BHPian

The color combination in the interior pic suggests its not a top model. We own a Tiago XZ thats almost 3 yrs old now and i still love the interiors and it feels premium. Much better than Maruti. Tiago is let down by engine/dynamics which is the same for all of tata cars (except Hexa maybe) but i feel Tata are making good looking cars and nice interiors.

The infotainment system and buttons underneath look classy kinda like bmw's to me.
AnandB is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 14:27   #941
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Thicker & angular grip, more buttons - including thumb buttons for horn (Indians' dream come true ), cruise control, flat bottom and sweet looking leather wrap.

Attachment 1941794
Oh wow, you are right that actually looks really good. A smaller steering boss, thinner arms and flat-bottom!
Old 3rd December 2019, 14:32   #942
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata Altroz Specs revealed. No AT at launch, which is inline with TATA launches.

To me the front look like other TATA cars and the rear is too bulky. A design mismatch between the two

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-20191203014146_tataaltrozfront.jpg

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-20191203014146_tataaltrozrear.jpg

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-20191203014146_tataaltrozdashboard.jpg

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-20191203014146_tataaltrozinfotainment1.jpg

Quote:
Mechanically, the Tata Altroz will come equipped with three BS6-compliant engine options – a 1.2-litre, naturally aspirated, three-cylinder petrol engine; a 1.2-litre, three-cylinder turbo-petrol unit and a detuned version of the Nexon’s 1.5-litre, four-cylinder turbo-diesel engine
Quote:
the premium hatchback sports some unique features such as the free-standing, 7.0-inch infotainment screen which is new in the segment. The infotainment system will also come with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay support. The Altroz will also come with ambient lighting, a segment-first part-digital instrument cluster and a brand-new steering wheel.
Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-2.png

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-1.png

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 3rd December 2019 at 14:46.
volkman10 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 14:38   #943
Senior - BHPian

Production ready model in India
giri1.8 is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 14:41   #944
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Tata Altroz Specs revealed. NO AT at launch
What a disaster. And no surprise.

IMO, they should have named the 2 ECU map modes as "CITY" and "SPORT". To give that extra edge & would work considering the top spec cars will actually come with powerful 90+ PS motors.

"ECO" and "CITY" is identical to the Tiago-Tigor and would have been better to distinguish it a bit considering the premium placement of the car.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 14:45   #945
BHPian

Very boring design. A mix and mash of too many cars. The interiors with all the touch screen looks bland. May be due to the colors. Front looks a mix of Polo and Vista. Side Profile cropped from Nexon, a bit of indica and Jazz. Thankfully they did not add the ceramic line. Back again from Nexon, tail light cluster a mix of i20 and verna and some added monstrosity.

Out of all the premium hatchbacks out there Jazz is still the sexiest

Last edited by saisree : 3rd December 2019 at 14:47.
saisree is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed