Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2019, 18:09   #976
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

The car doesn't have steering reach adjustment?!? Really?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PraNeel View Post
There is a button behind gear lever. Any idea what it might be?
Its the engine mode selector. Eco-City toggle.
Reinhard is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 18:21   #977
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Pretty boy there, but the GC at just 165 mm has us Bangaloreans worried. You need a lot more than that to handle our 'village roads'. What were Tata Motors thinking? Never have they had us struggling for Ground Clearance. The analogue side of the meter console is a throw back to the first edition Maruti 800.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
The car doesn't have steering reach adjustment?!? Really? Its the engine mode selector. Eco-City toggle.
Sebring is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 18:22   #978
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
The diesel gets peak torque of 200NM at 1250 RPM, which stays flat until 3000 RPM. That's gotta be the lowest RPM for achieving peak torque in a turbo diesel!
Looks like Altroz employs a much smaller turbo than in the Nexon diesel, which already had less lag to begin with. And 90ps is still a respectable figure for a hatchback.

Won't be surprised if the diesel emerges as the top pick among reviewers.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 18:47   #979
Senior - BHPian

Some more pictures from the media drive on twitter.

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-ek2nqouuaaln9a.jpg

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-ek22ax0u8aauydh.jpg

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-ek22ax1u0aanhw6.jpg

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-ek26o7qu0aafr5l.jpg

Source

PS: Is Teambhp at the drive?

Last edited by avishar : 3rd December 2019 at 18:50.
avishar is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 19:32   #980
Distinguished - BHPian

For me, a big good feature is those unbelievably wide opening doors. All 4 of them are opening 90°. That's a good achievement.
Rear passengers are going to love this.

Parents will make young adult kids buy the Altroz for this!!
The last mass market car to have this convenience was the old Fiat 1100 imported one that had both doors hinged in B pillar and front doors used to open backwards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
PS: Is Teambhp at the drive?
Of course!!

Last edited by Reinhard : 3rd December 2019 at 19:34.
Reinhard is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 19:34   #981
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
[b]Powered tailgate!
Electric release for hatch, I'm sure.
Reasonably safe to assume that the hatch release mechanism is shared with Nexon.
arjab is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 19:35   #982
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Full specs of the Tata Altroz revealed

Tata Motors has released the detailed specifications of the upcoming Altroz hatchback.
Have been holding off on booking a Figo Titanium Blu/Freestyle while waiting for the Altroz launch. The petrol engine is the same as the one in Tiago? I was under the impression that it might get the Nexon's engine.
Unless, they have fixed the gear vibrations in Altroz, I don't see any significant differentiator from Tiago except size (which may not be a boon in the city) and cosmetics.
The lack of Auto Dimming IRVM is also a huge negative.

Is having a BS6 petrol engine big enough differentiator to justify not getting the Figo Titanium Blu now?

I personally don't understand the strategy of Tata withholding information and elongating their release process. Surely, someone who is needs a car now won't hold off their purchase for months just for a possibility that Altroz may be better? Maybe this trend of teasing works for Mobiles, but is that true for cars too? Why not come forward with all the information so that one can make conscious decision. This at the time when Concord Motors as well seem to be shutting down, leaving Bangalore with far worse Tata dealerships who seem absolutely unwilling to sell.

Last edited by Sheel : 3rd December 2019 at 19:48. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Thanks.
Old 3rd December 2019, 19:42   #983
BHPian

The exteriors look really amazing. Cannot say the same for the interiors. Also going by the spec sheet it looks decently loaded with features.
Considering the petrol and diesel models have different tyre specs, do they use the same design?
JD_404 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 19:43   #984
BHPian

Looks fantastic

But I have my reservations on the engine . The 3 cylinder engine was just adequate in Tiago as per the reviews. How will it manage the Altroz which is bigger and heavier ?
Also somehow 'premium' and 3 cylinder engine doesn't gel together

Happy to be proven wrong.
Old 3rd December 2019, 20:26   #985
BHPian

The Link to the Tata Altroz unveiling is live, Event will start by 8.30 pm and Media isn’t entitled to publish opinions about the car until 9th Dec 2019, never understood such kind of embargo, while most of the technical details are already out hope we get the most important one the price today itself

Link :
Attached Thumbnails
Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-beb19f5a7a774e9ab80d44966225672f.jpeg  

Last edited by XRoader_001 : 3rd December 2019 at 20:33.
XRoader_001 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 20:26   #986
Senior - BHPian

Love how the Altroz looks. I'm quite surprised by some comments calling the design bland. Looks will always be subjective I guess, but casually reading comments on social media, I see most people like the design.

While that flat bottom steering looks fantastic, the design / font used for the speedo is a thumbs down. It takes away all the premiumness of that nice big digital section of the cluster.

My biggest concern is the 1.2NA engine which is kind of out of place in a premium hatch unless they have immensely improved NVH compared to the Tiago. The diesel on the other hand looks yummy with all that torque available @~1300 rpm!

Overall, it's a nice package but as is the case with all Tata launches, they take their own sweet time to actually launch the car! This should have come 6 months back. I think this will settle at around 3k cars per month

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 3rd December 2019 at 20:30.
fiat_tarun is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 20:28   #987
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asish_VK View Post
The 3 cylinder engine was just adequate in Tiago as per the reviews. How will it manage the Altroz which is bigger and heavier ?
Also somehow 'premium' and 3 cylinder engine doesn't gel together

Happy to be proven wrong.
Both Tiago and Altroz weigh almost the same.
Tiago P varies between 980 - 1080kgs while Altroz P starts at 961kg.
So the same engine will do just fine in terms of power/weight ratio.

Also, from when did we start measuring "premium-ness" of a car by the number of cylinders the engine has?
ayankm is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 20:36   #988
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRoader_001 View Post
Event will start by 8.30 pm and Media isn’t entitled to publish opinions about the car until 9th Dec 2019, never understood such kind of embargo
Embargo is in place, not for concerns on product reveal as almost all information is already made public, except for the price of course. It is for giving every media publication a level playing field.

Except for Team-Bhp, almost everyone else is in a race to bring out their reviews first and get the maximum views. Manufacturers can't afford to host them all on a single day, hence the media events are conducted over multiple days with an embargo in place not to publish the final reviews till everyone gets a chance. You can see all these reviews coming out within minutes of each other, on 9th Dec.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 20:46   #989
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Embargo is in place, not for concerns on product reveal as almost all information is already made public, except for the price of course. It is for giving every media publication a level playing field.

Except for Team-Bhp, almost everyone else is in a race to bring out their reviews first and get the maximum views. Manufacturers can't afford to host them all on a single day, hence the media events are conducted over multiple days with an embargo in place not to publish the final reviews till everyone gets a chance. You can see all these reviews coming out within minutes of each other, on 9th Dec.
While I see a point to hold it for a few days but I felt media drive will get over by 6th Dec or even before that not preview to it and you are absolutely right it's a race for media houses who reviews it first, Quality writing and details with which Team-Bhp comes out in its reviews can't be matched by the majority of the media houses.

Last edited by XRoader_001 : 3rd December 2019 at 20:50.
XRoader_001 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 20:56   #990
BHPian

I like the exteriors very much. Funky and edgy. But that Gold Colour is not to my taste. IMO they should have pushed Red as the "hero" colour. The car looks much better in Red.
I have a feeling the altroz has the potential look really good (like a hot hatch) with a good, well designed Body kit.
Will it perform well...That yet to be seen.

I don't like the interiors much though. The black and grey colour scheme reminds me of my A-Star. The interior colour choice and The design and layout of the centre console and the bulbous infotainment platform Seems a bit dated to me (Almost Renault-ish ).
Maybe it looks good in the dark with the Ambient lighting.
ZenMaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed