Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2017, 09:05   #91
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, codenamed "X451"

The proportions are good and will be nice to have a >4m sedan based on this competing with the City/Ciaz/Verna
narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2017, 09:17   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

From what I have heard, this would be the most spacious premium hatchback in India. Contradicting whatever was mentioned earlier, the design won't be like Nexon at all. This would be a long slung long hatch with design similar to the Civic hatch or maybe the A-Class.
ashis89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th October 2017, 10:28   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

- Production will start from August onwards for this Baleno/i20 rival from the Tata stable.
When something is so much a secret people forget what the secret is when it finally comes out.

In auto and consumer electronics industries, it's better to err on the side of a leak of an upcoming product than keep it so water tight that no one notices when it finally comes up.

Really hope Tata comes up with a brilliant product. Their recent success with Nexon, Tiago etc. could definitely help them understand the market better.
Mad Max is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2017, 12:41   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Spotted testing for the very first time on the streets of Pune by [/center]
Typical TATA. Shortly after the Zest/Bolt were launched the Tiago-Tigor weer caught testing. After Tiagos launch, Nexon started doing the rounds. Now that Nexon has launched the Premium hatch shows up on roads. I like how TATA is consistent in providing fodder to us enthusiasts so we can continue to discuss debate and argue about them.
400notout is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th October 2017, 13:10   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Large & round! A typical Tata styled hatch with oodles of space. I was starting to worry that they are now moving to small 4 seaters from their original specious DNA. Good to see this one.

I don't know what it is; perhaps the extremely slanting windshield but it reminded me of the Alfa Romeo Brera (one beautiful car that one!). If the dynamics of the car are indeed sporty to do justice to that aesthetically & aerodynamically pleasant windshield angle & it runs with the 1.5L Revotorque, then it will be one wonderful car for long distance cruises.

Although such swooping windshields, dynamic lower CG generally mean a low riding driver position which is a bit unwelcome to our mass markets which likes taller driving positions.

Bonnet angle & front overhang is so much like the Fiat Punto! Thanks Tata that you are working on so many fresh products finally. Do something about the Safari Storme soon too please...

AND - the mule has a lot of resemblance it seems to the digital mockup that was presented already in this tread here over an year ago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by singh.saab View Post
Digital mock up of the Tata X451 (code name) ahead of its launch in financial year 2017-18. If this is the ONE, then I think Tata have a winner in their stable provided they position it aggressively.

The Tata X451 will rival the Maruti Baleno, Hyundai i20, VW Polo and Honda Jazz. The design work of the X451 could be a collaboration of Tata’s three design centers (located in India, Italy and U.K.) with styling cues borrowed from the forthcoming Tata Nexon. The Tata X451 will be based on the Advanced Modular Platform (AMP).

Attachment 1527805

Last edited by Reinhard : 13th October 2017 at 13:14.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th October 2017, 13:18   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

That digital mock-up by SRK designs is lovely !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Large & round! A typical Tata styled hatch with oodles of space. I was starting to worry that they are now moving to small 4 seaters from their original specious DNA. Good to see this one.
Actually, we can be hopeful. Example - the Nexon. Just compare it in space ( head / shoulder/leg room), boot space etc with larger rivals like Creta. The sub-4-m Nexon is able to match the rivals closely.

The sloping windshield reminds me a bit of what's on the Jazz - large glass area.
Old 13th October 2017, 13:45   #97
BHPian

Quote:
If the dynamics of the car are indeed sporty to do justice to that aesthetically & aerodynamically pleasant windshield angle & it runs with the 1.5L Revotorque, then it will be one wonderful car for long distance cruises.
Actually, I'm hoping that the 1.6l 4 cylinder version of the petrol makes it's way to the X451 - at least as an option. Ideally even the Nexon deserves it, over the current 1.2T.
Old 13th October 2017, 14:45   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_lowrider View Post
Actually, I'm hoping that the 1.6l 4 cylinder version of the petrol makes it's way to the X451 - at least as an option. Ideally even the Nexon deserves it, over the current 1.2T.
They might put it into a full sized mid-premium sedan based on this car if they want to launch one to try & pick a fight with the Verna, Ciaz and City.

In the hatch anything larger than 1.2L is a very remote possibility as that would take the car out from the sub4M excise bracket & will increase the pricing. The primary reason why large cars like the Baleno & Jazz have small engines and not performance oriented power-trains.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2017, 15:10   #99
BHPian

Quote:
In the hatch anything larger than 1.2L is a very remote possibility as that would take the car out from the sub4M excise bracket & will increase the pricing. The primary reason why large cars like the Baleno & Jazz have small engines and not performance oriented power-trains.
Oh yeah, I totally get that, hence I said at least as an option. While we still don't know anything about the X451 the Nexon totally deserves such this engine, it would complete the package.

Or here's a slightly left field option, launch TAMO versions of the Nexon, X451 & maybe even the Tiago with the 1.6....it would also let them know how the market reacts to TAMO...I know, castles in the air but what if?
da_lowrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2017, 15:55   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_lowrider View Post
Oh yeah, I totally get that, hence I said at least as an option. While we still don't know anything about the X451 the Nexon totally deserves such this engine, it would complete the package.

Or here's a slightly left field option, launch TAMO versions of the Nexon, X451 & maybe even the Tiago with the 1.6....it would also let them know how the market reacts to TAMO...I know, castles in the air but what if?
So true...This sub4m bracket is just so... It is taking the fun out of potentially fun cars! Not just the Nexon but a lot of others too.

The manufacturers should pay attention to the market a bit and bring out performance versions of these cars with larger engines also. There will be takers I'm sure. Maybe not the same as "economy" trim variants. But still enough to justify the option. Just look at the number of POLO GT TSIs selling! Thats not a bad number at all.

TAMO by the way is disbanded if i'm not mistaken. And so is the Tata Prima truck race season that used to be held at BIC. Part of expense check by TML.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2017, 15:58   #101
Senior - BHPian

Now that the spy photos are out of this car, can we remove the word RUMOUR from the thread name?
Old 13th October 2017, 16:00   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post
Now that the spy photos are out of this car, can we remove the word RUMOUR from the thread name?
From the shots though, it is not very clear if it is a premium car, nor infact whether it is a TATA car! No interiors etc are seen.

There is no doubt that it is a Tata of course. They hide their logos and other key give-away aspects of the car - and then attach the tell-tale tail-lamps with the design that is identifiable as a part from Tata's commercial vehicles to even kindergarten children .

Last edited by Reinhard : 13th October 2017 at 16:23.
Old 13th October 2017, 16:25   #103
BHPian

Quote:
TAMO by the way is disbanded if i'm not mistaken. And so is the Tata Prima truck race season that used to be held at BIC. Part of expense check by TML.
Oh! I knew about the Prima truck racing series being scrapped, WRT to TAMO I was under the impression that only the Racemo had been scrapped not the entire division.
Old 14th October 2017, 12:22   #104
BHPian

Rumour: Tata developing premium hatchback codenamed "X451"

The same has been reported by Carwale -
https://www.carwale.com/news/tatas-p...testing-31437/
Old 14th October 2017, 12:36   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
The same has been reported by Carwale -
https://www.carwale.com/news/tatas-p...testing-31437/
Link doesn't seem to open...