Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2016, 20:40   #31
BHPian

Re: Rumour: Tata to launch a premium hatchback to compete with Baleno and i20

As an old Indica user, I will be happy if TATA can achieve their target. Exciting products and hence exciting times ahead for them. I have assumed that quality will be good!

I only hope that apart from enhancing sales experience, they can concentrate on the after sales part as that's where I used to be troubled a lot.

Good to see a home-grown manufacturer taking bold steps. Good luck TATA!
Old 27th June 2016, 21:13   #32
BHPian

Really great to see Tata making a genuine effort to improve their position in the Indian market. If the Tiago is anything to go by, the premium hatch should be one hell of a looker!

With the Tiago, they got the dynamics, design and quality bang on. But its engines are rather lackluster. I hope they work on that for the new hatch. And a better sounding name?
Old 27th June 2016, 23:32   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Like the Bajaj motorcycles from 100 - 220 cc, Tata cars are making so many launches one after the other that it will be tough after sometime to recollect whether the Bolt or Zest or the Tiago or the Zika were all launched in 2014, 2015 or 2016.

Bajaj has totally messed up their motorcycle range with the KB 100, KB 125, Caliber, Byke Discover (100 to 150 cc), Platina, Boxer, CT 100, even a lean and thin malaria affected Pulsar 135 and so many more. The fuel tank and the side panel stickers are so varied that even the persons in their design department will not perhaps be able to chronicle the launches and the stickers with the appropriate models.

It seems Tata is also afflicted by some marketing smog and is unable to prepare a smog and fog free road map of its launches in the car segment.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th June 2016, 23:57   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

I appreciate the efforts by Tata Motors. Recent car from their stable, Tiago is miles ahead of other Tata cars. Number 3 spot is very much possible.
Old 28th June 2016, 00:07   #35
BHPian

What if Tata can launch a scaled down evoque like hatchback, and called it the Land rover small car. I think that would do them a huge favor. More margins, from A small car.
But yes, I know, the LR brand cannot be used this way.

Last edited by vinya_jag : 28th June 2016 at 00:10. Reason: Hit the post button by mistake, as I was on mobile
Old 28th June 2016, 00:21   #36
Senior - BHPian

Coming back to the topic, here is what Overdrive's sources say:

- Code name X451.
- Will be based on the new Advanced Modular Platform.
- Will be a ground-up design, with a design language similar to the Nexon. A more aggressive face than the Tiago, Bolt.
- Will have projector head lamps, DRLS too.
- New 4 cylinder diesel and petrol engines.
- Will have better interior quality than any other Tata car seen till now. Interior design, again, inspired by the Nexon.

- A sedan based on the X451 is also in the pipeline.

Source: Overdrive

My request to other members, lets stick to a discussion on this particular car. Our opinion on how to run the company, how to improve their A.S.S. or how our experience has been with them, there are plenty of other threads to discuss those.

Let's stick to this car. X451, a premium Tata hatchback.

Looking at the Tiago and the Nexon's design, I am sure this hatch will be droolworthy. It might as well be the best looking hatch in the segment. With the engines to match and a tempting price, I am sure it will surely make a dent.

Overdrive has two impressions (their disclaimer says that these are speculated representations, and could vary)
Attached Thumbnails
Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-tatasnewhatchback.jpg  

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-tatasnewhatchback1.jpg  

ashutoshb is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 01:18   #37
Senior - BHPian

One big advantage Tata Motors has is a diesel AMT. That should be a great USP for this car.

Tata Zest is a good car, I know a couple of owners who are happy with the car but not happy with the dealers. Tata should improve the post-purchase experience for a customer.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 01:32   #38
BHPian

A "premium" hatchback is a relative term. The Swift was considered a premium hatch till the launches of the i20, the overpriced 1st gen Jazz and the Fabia moved the goalposts of the term "premium". Now the Swift is in the same segment as the Grand i10 and is in the same price bracket. Whose to say the goalposts have not moved again by the time Tata launches its competing product? To shake things up, you mustn't play catch-up; you need to re-define the segment. I see Hyundai doing that and I see Renault doing that. Tata needs something revolutionary, not merely evolutionary; a product which can genuinely disrupt the market - like the Kwid did. Till then, for all its patriotic fervor it generates, Tata will not capture the imagination of the consumer like Suzuki and Hyundai have.
invidious is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 02:29   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
One big advantage Tata Motors has is a diesel AMT. That should be a great USP for this car.
I doubt if AMT is good enough for a car to call it as a "premium Hatchback". If the car is targeted for a Premium hatch, it atleast need a CVT if not DCT and both Tata currently doesn't have.So here a Manual shift make more sense rather than spoiling the model with an AMT and then take time and launch a proper automatic.

From the pic, the dimensions more looks like similar to a Vista. I really loves to see a spacious hatch from Tata like a Honda Jazz.
arunrajk81 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 02:52   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunrajk81 View Post
I doubt if AMT is good enough for a car to call it as a "premium Hatchback". If the car is targeted for a Premium hatch, it atleast need a CVT if not DCT
Agreed that AMTs shouldn't really power the costly car as the customer expectations of a customer in this segment are higher. But getting/developing a new CVT/DCT involves huge costs. I don't think Hyundai/Honda are going to develop a AT for their diesel engines which power their hatchbacks.

Tata really doesn't have anything to stand out from a new segment they're going to enter. Might as well take the opportunity and plonk in the AMT when there are no diesel automatic hatches around. That's one way of creating an USP for your product. I never meant that Tata should ditch the MT.

The Zest is reasonably smooth with an AMT.
landcruiser123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 08:11   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Good work by Tata. If they are really serious about it, probably they can even think of separate premium dealerships.
let the cabs be in the current dealerships and new "premium" offerings be shifted to separate showrooms like Nexa.
Nexa may not be a success but Tata can be different because the divide between the indicabs and other premium cars will be bigger compared to the cars in MarutiSuzuki and Nexa.

This will enable Tata to change the people who interact with the customers in the showroom for good.
Quite a big step but they can probably think it over.

Coming to the car and the sketches, it looks like a big tiago-eapecially the rear
The front portion when looked at from the side, somehow feel similar to a Mercedes for me!

I hope Tata makes this and it becomes a success. Everyone loves to see the Indian brand succeeding.
hemanth.anand is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 11:36   #42
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 28th June 2016 at 13:45.
hareesh3395 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 28th June 2016, 11:44   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Like the Bajaj motorcycles from 100 - 220 cc, Tata cars are making so many launches one after the other that it will be tough after sometime to recollect whether the Bolt or Zest or the Tiago or the Zika were all launched in 2014, 2015 or 2016.
Well, everyone was saying that Tata needs new products. What is the problem with new products? It is not as if they aren't advertising the new ones. I see at least one Zest/Bolt/Tiago ad per day, and this is on different platforms (electronic, social media, TV, newspapers).

Quote:
Bajaj has totally messed up their motorcycle range with the KB 100, KB 125, Caliber, Byke Discover (100 to 150 cc), Platina, Boxer, CT 100, even a lean and thin malaria affected Pulsar 135 and so many more. The fuel tank and the side panel stickers are so varied that even the persons in their design department will not perhaps be able to chronicle the launches and the stickers with the appropriate models.
Tata has a distinct design language for their new vehicles. They are fresh designs, easily distinguished as Tatas, yet not old Tatas. They also don't look like scaled up versions of the same design. Apologies if that wasn't your point.

Quote:
It seems Tata is also afflicted by some marketing smog and is unable to prepare a smog and fog free road map of its launches in the car segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
Coming back to the topic, here is what Overdrive's sources say:

- Code name X451.
- Will be based on the new Advanced Modular Platform.
- Will be a ground-up design, with a design language similar to the Nexon. A more aggressive face than the Tiago, Bolt.
- Will have projector head lamps, DRLS too.
- New 4 cylinder diesel and petrol engines.
- Will have better interior quality than any other Tata car seen till now. Interior design, again, inspired by the Nexon.

- A sedan based on the X451 is also in the pipeline.
Thank you.

Tata is certainly not sparing any equipment in these new vehicles. The quality and design should be wonderful going by the Tiago, and the fact that they will certainly undercut the competition will ensure decent sales. I'm looking forward to the Nexon though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
A "premium" hatchback is a relative term.
It certainly is. The i20 was premium because it was larger and had well assembled, high quality and feature-rich interiors. Now that the competition has caught up, prices have moved so far north that there are multiple segments of hatches below them.

Tata has redefined the A+ segment (or B?) with the Tiago priced in the Celerio region yet offering build, quality and features of the segment above. I'm sure that will be their strategy for the premium hatch segment as well. A better equipped, high quality offering at a less than premium price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunrajk81 View Post
From the pic, the dimensions more looks like similar to a Vista. I really loves to see a spacious hatch from Tata like a Honda Jazz.
One cannot judge the size without a reference or scale. It may be much larger or smaller than expected, although Bolt sized with a larger boot will do; the Bolt doesn't really need more passenger room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
I never meant that Tata should ditch the MT.

The Zest is reasonably smooth with an AMT.
and Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Good work by Tata. If they are really serious about it, probably they can even think of separate premium dealerships.
Tata needs to sell enough vehicles to retain their current dealerships. I'm also a fan of executing one thing well, and they've already begun resolving the core of the problem which was poor quality products.

If they need to attract the major A.S.S partners, they will need to already be at the number 3 position. I'm not convinced of the premium sales model even then, because Hyundai seems to have done quite well without them.
VeluM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 11:49   #44
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I'm going to go against the tide here.

The premium hatchback segment is fiercely competitive. The Elite i20 is the benchmark in terms of quality; Maruti still found its place with the Baleno which is enjoying fantastic sales. Global majors like Honda, Toyota & VW have - at best - had moderate success with big hatchbacks. Things are only going to get more competitive. One advantage that MNCs have is the R&D cost for a premium hatchback (e.g. i20, Jazz) being justified by sales in many countries. Compare that to Tata which only has India to depend on for sales. The R&D budget will be much less compared to what VW will spend on the next-gen Polo (as an example).

Which is why, if I were Tata Motors, I'd look at untapped opportunities in India. They are missing in the compact SUV space, and the Vitara Brezza has shown there's still room for growth here. Hardly any players in the <10 lakh compact SUV segment. There's other opportunities too - say a modern people mover at 10 lakhs (since the Innova Crysta has gotten so expensive). The XUV500 is still doing between 2,000 - 3,000 sales / month....that's impressive for a premium SUV from a not-so-premium brand. What is Tata's answer? A Safari Storme with a 20 year old body?
GTO is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 12:13   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Tata needs to sell enough vehicles to retain their current dealerships.
Definitely yes!
Quote:
I'm not convinced of the premium sales model even then, because Hyundai seems to have done quite well without them.
Hyundai were never considered as a cheap car manufacturer. so they do not have to do it. santro was a premum car compared to 800s and altos of the time, then came Getz, Verna, i20 which were all premium to the competion of their time. So they never needed to seperate the segments.

However, Maruti Suzuki were tagged as a king of small cars and that was one of the reasons that all their 1million plus cars were flops in the market. Hence they decided to take this NEXA strategy.

Fiat moved away from Tata showrooms to independent ones because people looking for Linea were not happy with Indicabs sold in the same space.
The fact that even this strategy failed is a topic of discussion for another thread however.

So, Tata, with this image can think of this model as an option. But yes, as you told they have to first consolidate the existing dealerships

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'm going to go against the tide here.
The premium hatchback segment is fiercely competitive.
Its definitely very competitive. But with Tiago, tata have shown a glimmer of hope. They sure have a long way to go however!

They have a good product at the bottom of the pile now.
With this new rumoured premium hatchback, Kite-S, Nexon and Hexa, they are showing some promise in othe segments too.
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed