Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2019, 22:31   #526
BHPian

re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

In terms of dimensions, leg space and boot space, would this is comparable to the i20?
Old 22nd March 2019, 07:45   #527
BHPian

re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselritzer View Post
In terms of dimensions, leg space and boot space, would this is comparable to the i20?
It will be more or less the same because it will compete with i20 and Baleno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
On the Occasion of Holi,

Rushlane has Rendered Upcoming Tata Altroz in various color options.
Black looks smashing. Never thought I would like black.
Old 22nd March 2019, 08:41   #528
BHPian

Personally, I’m a little disappointed with the looks of the final production version. The sportiness that was exhuded by the concept seems to be lost in this update. The front doesn’t seem to gel well with the SX4ish kink in the front door.

Interesting anecdote on the naming process. Just hope that it doesn’t become the proverbial albatross around Tata’s neck!
mayjay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2019, 09:21   #529
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobliss View Post
Never thought I would like black.
Why?

Black is perhaps the only colour everyone will like, as it covers the rear which many find to be overdone.

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-black.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2019, 09:45   #530
BHPian

Will its boot space be as big as a Baleno? Also any info on the automatic variants? the read leg room seems marginally bigger than my Ritz basis the various videos i saw. The only space that I could not get an idea is the bootspace as the videos don't give any reference unless they keep some bags in it for perspective.
Old 22nd March 2019, 10:40   #531
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayjay View Post
Interesting anecdote on the naming process. Just hope that it doesn’t become the proverbial albatross around Tata’s neck!
Killing an Albatross is supposed to be bad luck, according to the legend/myth.

A dead Albatross is placed on the killers neck as punishment. So it would be a punishment to others.

But these birds have no relevance in India - which makes you wonder why they chose a couple of Europeans to name their cars.

Interestingly the name Albatross is allegedly derived from the Arabic for Pelican. And Pelican is one of the code names TML uses.

Whatever, this naming business of theirs isn’t really resonating with their market. Cassini, Albatross - all alien names to India.

EDIT: Still, it’s better than finding random names that end with an ‘O’ or adding an ‘O’ at the end of all names, just because TiagO was a success. Have to give them credit there.

Last edited by Steeroid : 22nd March 2019 at 10:47.
Steeroid is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2019, 11:19   #532
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Whatever, this naming business of theirs isn’t really resonating with their market. Cassini, Albatross - all alien names to India.
Indians obviously care more about the virtues of a vehicle or product than about its name. Creta, Laura, Ciaz, Ertiga all have no relevance to any Indian.

On the contrary they now probably have the advantage of being associated specifically with the product. If the product does well, it can build a reputation to span generations - case in point the Santro.

Altroz will be a good name or bad solely based on how the product performs. From what I can see this will compete favourably in the i20 and Baleno segment, probably running a close third depending on prices, features, and perceived value.
VeluM is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2019, 11:44   #533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post

EDIT: Still, it’s better than finding random names that end with an ‘O’ or adding an ‘O’ at the end of all names, just because TiagO was a success. Have to give them credit there.

Personally, I think these efforts by Tata are better than lame sounding names in the past: i10, i20, XUV5OO, TUV3OO, BRV, CRV, SX4 etc. How does anyone (Indians or not) related to these?
srvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2019, 12:16   #534
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Indians obviously care more about the virtues of a vehicle or product than about its name. Creta, Laura, Ciaz, Ertiga all have no relevance to any Indian.
Debatable. As long as it has a Maruti sticker for the lower segments or a Toyota for the higher ones, nobody looks at the second name. Hyundai too, extending the same logic.

Tata vehicles need a good second name. So does Mahindra, so they’ve created an XUV sub-brand. Its another matter that the K and T variants fell flat on their face - but that has to do with the product as well. Basically even if the indigenous products are good, they still need to have a powerful sub-brand.

Last edited by Steeroid : 22nd March 2019 at 12:20.
Old 22nd March 2019, 13:25   #535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Why?

Black is perhaps the only colour everyone will like, as it covers the rear which many find to be overdone.
So, I am one of the few who likes the rear. It looks futuristic and in a European way of cool.

I concede that I have a bad record, I liked the Ignis also until I saw it for real. It's about the execution - the quality of materials, the paint finish and the proportion which does (or undoes) the intended design.

Totally off topic: Dear mods and folks in general, try the Grammarly keyboard on phone or it's chrome extension. It is doing wonders to my writing. End result - Lesser writing related infractions for folks and a lighter workload for mods to review the posts.
atnyia is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2019, 16:30   #536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Why?
I meant black in general. With Altroz, there may be more number of takers especially because it comes with a thick black strip on the back.
Old 24th March 2019, 16:53   #537
BHPian

I kinda hope the rumours of a dual clutch auto coming to the Altroz is false. It simply isn't necessary to be honest, and has a higher chance of failure than a ordinary torque converter.

They can reserve a DCT for a future JTP version of the Altroz, but not the normal version. The perception of Tata cars being low on reliability is slowly but steadily changing, owing to the performance of the Tiago and Nexon in the market, a complex transmission like this will dump their image into the ground.

In this price bracket ( <12 lacs ), I'd anyday take a TC over a dual clutch, also it's not like they are slow either. Hyundai TCs are smooth and reasonably fast as well.
SaiSW is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th March 2019, 15:40   #538
Distinguished - BHPian

Altroz spied again, speculated to have 16" wheels.

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-1.jpg

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-2.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2019, 22:54   #539
BHPian

Any updates about launch dates? Features? Gearbox engine options?
Old 6th April 2019, 09:42   #540
Senior - BHPian

Any concrete news on the kind of automatic transmission this one will carry? Hope not an AMT again

DCT I doubt Tata will get as that would push the price further and they might loose the VFM edge which works for both Tiago and Nexon currently. A TC box or CVT would be perfect considering the segment it's being placed in. Any timelines yet?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks