Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2019, 12:51   #646
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Those alloys are boooooring compared to what competition has on offer. Headlamps look good though
Old 8th July 2019, 13:20   #647
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Are they still going to offer only Halogen Projectors or have they finally realised that LEDs can be put behind the projector setup too?

What irritates me the most in this whole car is the cost cutting on the IRVM with manual dimming! When maruti can put an Auto dimming mirror, how costly can this one feature be? I know that Hyundai does not provide one either but this rant holds true even for them. These are certain basic quasi-safety features for Indian driving conditions.
AlphaKilo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2019, 14:06   #648
AYP
Senior - BHPian

I hope that I am forced to eat my words but as the launch is getting nearer and more details are being made available, this is looking more and more like a 'Meh' launch which may not be too significant.

Those boring alloys, offering 'only' halogen projectors etc. have further strengthened my opinion. The only saving grace for this car IMO can be the turbo engines which might be better than the competition. But there are only a few people who buy cars for their engine, people like us. And half of them runaway upon hearing the word- TATA.

Hoping to be proven wrong.
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2019, 14:23   #649
BHPian

Hope the diesel gets the same 6 speed from the Nexon and not the awful TA65 unit from the stone age. Nexon's turbo diesel ( if the detuning isn't that bad )+ a good 6 speed and Tata has a sure customer in me.

Looks really good, tbh. The steering wheel looks fantastic and is easy the best looking one in the segment ( although I also love the i20's smart looking unit ), barring the Polo's. Tata being Tata can be expected to squeeze in a lot of features, so some sure ones would be the fantastic 8 speaker Harman sound system, which is the best stock experience you can get south of 10 lacs, cool digital MID ( I am especially impressed by the ability to reroute the maps, routes etc. of the navigation, from the main touchscreen to the MID ), decently spacious, decent bootspace, and last but not least, fantastic build quality, which I believe will be one of the highlights of the car. Ticks most of my requirements. Now waiting for the launch.

Last edited by SaiSW : 8th July 2019 at 14:25.
SaiSW is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2019, 18:02   #650
BHPian

More of those red Altroz spy shots from Motoroids.

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-ezgif.comwebptojpg-1.jpg

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-ezgif.comwebptojpg.jpg
jailbird_fynix is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 13th July 2019, 10:06   #651
Distinguished - BHPian

Not doubting the design study/structural rigidity etc at all, but I think Tata is one of the few who continue with 4 lug nuts even on 16" wheels. Most others start having 5 nuts on the wheel even from 15" rims. The Altroz, all old X1 platform cars have just 4. Even the heavy Nexon with high profile tyres has 4 nuts only. Just an observation. Sightly OT.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2019, 11:31   #652
BHPian

More banners are out. Can somebody combine all these shots of the front from all the banners through photoshop?

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-img_20190713_112815.jpg

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-img_20190713_112755.jpg

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-img_20190713_112727.jpg

Last edited by jailbird_fynix : 13th July 2019 at 11:34.
jailbird_fynix is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th July 2019, 13:37   #653
BHPian

Is it worth paying a premium for a bs6 engines, when you know that they will be registered with bs4 at RTO anyway (ie. Before April 2020) ? Instead, buy bs4 engine at discounted rates at the end of calendar year? Aside, is it worth waiting altroz or put my money on Nexon petrol (bs4)…?
Thanks.
Old 16th July 2019, 12:59   #654
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spr1ngleo View Post
Is it worth paying a premium for a bs6 engines, when you know that they will be registered with bs4 at RTO anyway (ie. Before April 2020) ? Instead, buy bs4 engine at discounted rates at the end of calendar year? Aside, is it worth waiting altroz or put my money on Nexon petrol (bs4)…?
Thanks.
Regarding bs6 - Purely depends on whether you feel more at peace buying a less polluting vehicle .

NexonP is certainly a wonderful package but Altroz surely seems a step forward in design, quality and finish of everything.

That said, Altroz is a large hatchback. Nexon is a high sitting compact SUV. So dynamically and purpose wise the two are totally different. First one should decide on the purpose of the vehicle and daily needs. Then its easier to decide whether to wait or not
Old 16th July 2019, 13:35   #655
BHPian

I read sometime ago that the Altroz will get a turbo petrol option with ~102 HP and 140 NM of torque. Does anybody have any more info on that?

Nexon petrol is a 3 cyl and produces more power and torque, is this turbo petrol in the Altroz a different engine? A four cylinder perhaps?
Old 16th July 2019, 13:57   #656
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
I read sometime ago that the Altroz will get a turbo petrol option with ~102 HP and 140 NM of torque. Does anybody have any more info on that?

Nexon petrol is a 3 cyl and produces more power and torque, is this turbo petrol in the Altroz a different engine? A four cylinder perhaps?

The power and torque are speculative figures. From what I hear, altroz borrows Nexon engine although in a detuned state. But definitely a three cylinder one. Refinement is a major concern, hoping Tata could nail it to redeem itself in this department. One major advantage altroz has over Nexon is the new ALFA platform that could deliver better performance owing to its lightweight sheetmetal.
spr1ngleo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2019, 21:38   #657
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spr1ngleo View Post
One major advantage altroz has over Nexon is the new ALFA platform that could deliver better performance owing to its lightweight sheetmetal.
I'm sorry? Platforms don't include sheet-metal at all. Platform is only the basic shell of monocoque/chassis, suspension setup, engine families.

And Tata would never skimp on sheet-metal, especially when they have got their mojo back with heavy steel build being their USP compared to light-weight volume selling cars.

The USP of the OmegaArc and AlfaArc are not light weight but their modularity which was missing in previous Tata platforms

Last edited by Reinhard : 16th July 2019 at 21:39.
Reinhard is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th July 2019, 21:46   #658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
The USP of the OmegaArc and AlfaArc are not light weight but their modularity which was missing in previous Tata platforms
Your are right, sheet metal is not part of platform. But somewhere I read that the altroz is 200 kgs lighter than the norm. I don't know if platform alone can deliver that kind of lean avatar, if not compromised on sheet metal. How else are they going to deliver on much talked about agility and performance?
Old 16th July 2019, 23:21   #659
BHPian

Knowing Tata, their benchmark for weight should be with the likes of the Zest which is approximately 250kilos more than the Baleno.

Even with the speculated 200kg reduction for the Altroz, it should still be around 50 kilos more than Baleno.
racer_ash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2019, 23:34   #660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
I'm sorry? Platforms don't include sheet-metal at all. Platform is only the basic shell of monocoque/chassis, suspension setup, engine families.

And Tata would never skimp on sheet-metal, especially when they have got their mojo back with heavy steel build being their USP compared to light-weight volume selling cars.

By “Sheet Metal” is the reference restricted to the outer skin panels?

The whole monocoque platform structure is made of sheet metal and majorly accounts for the platform weight. Also platform includes only suspension and steering. Engine families may be designed to better suit any given platform but are never a part of the platform itself.
aditya79india is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed