Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2019, 19:55   #1126
BHPian

re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Seems to be a real solid car from Tata. Personally I really like the looks and hopefully it should ring in the numbers. The only downside IMO is the petrol engine. The Diesel seems like a winner but in this segment I feel more people would be interested in a petrol.

Hopefully the turbo pertrol is a good option for those who want a more engaging drive.

Equipment wise seems like a well featured car though Tata missed a real USP of the car which could have been the missing 6 airbags.

All in all though seems like another winner from Tata if they can fix their sales and service to compete with other players.
Old 7th December 2019, 21:12   #1127
BHPian

re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf1983 View Post

Hopefully the turbo pertrol is a good option for those who want a more engaging drive.
Don't think turbo petrol will really be an advantage now, it would be weak in mileage which is being whined upon a lot incase of Nexon. Compared to Baleno, Altroz should pose good mileage figures along with the drivability. With the peak torque of 113 NM developing around 3300 rpm, I believe NA petrol should be good enough. I think Tata has struck right balance between the mileage and drivability considering the figures on papers so far. We will have to wait in for the review from our guys.
SpideyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2019, 21:28   #1128
BHPian

I am not sure mileage is that strong a factor once you get into this segment. The Altroz weight is not known and should be much higher than a Baleno. I found the low speed drivability of the Tiago petrol to be lackluster so hopefully Tata has tuned it better for the bigger and possibly heavier Altroz.
Old 8th December 2019, 00:03   #1129
Distinguished - BHPian

In a nutshell.

RavenAvi is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 8th December 2019, 10:17   #1130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyBoy View Post
I second that. Not sure if this has been brought up early I find Altroz is heavily inspired from the Volvo v40 hatch especially the piano black touch on the rear and boy that turned out pretty well.
The Piano black theme at the back has been a Tata signature right from the Vista. They continued it in the Nexon and the Harrier and now the Altroz and Gravitas.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 8th December 2019 at 13:17. Reason: Corrected typo.
discoverwild is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th December 2019, 10:20   #1131
BANNED

Old 8th December 2019, 20:03   #1132
BHPian

Quote:
I found the low speed drivability of the Tiago petrol to be lackluster so hopefully Tata has tuned it better for the bigger and possibly heavier Altroz.
Just curious, as to how many Kms did you drive to experience the lackluster drivability in the Tiago.

I ask this, as there's one at home which my wife drives and occasionally me. In the last 4 months of ownership and 3.5k Kms in the city, never felt it lackluster. No offense, it's pretty tractable in the city mode in all gears.
gauravdgr8 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th December 2019, 20:16   #1133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
Just curious, as to how many Kms did you drive to experience the lackluster drivability in the Tiago.

I ask this, as there's one at home which my wife drives and occasionally me. In the last 4 months of ownership and 3.5k Kms in the city, never felt it lackluster. No offense, it's pretty tractable in the city mode in all gears.
Sorry should have made it clear its lackluster compared to my Ignis that I own in terms of smoothness. I found the Tiago to be pretty jerky at low speeds in stop and go traffic and it was very noticeable in the few 100 kms I drove. I loved the Tiago on the highway but once I test drove the Ignis it felt leagues ahead in refinement and low speed smoothness. Considering the Altroz is in a higher price segment I felt the Tiago engine in a heavier car is going to be a bit of a negative if the person does a lot of low speed driving in city traffic.
bf1983 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2019, 22:12   #1134
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry should have made it clear its lackluster compared to my Ignis that I own in terms of smoothness. I found the Tiago to be pretty jerky at low speeds in stop and go traffic and it was very noticeable in the few 100 kms I drove. I loved the Tiago on the highway but once I test drove the Ignis it felt leagues ahead in refinement and low speed smoothness. Considering the Altroz is in a higher price segment I felt the Tiago engine in a heavier car is going to be a bit of a negative if the person does a lot of low speed driving in city traffic.
Again depends on how well the car has been maintained, and a bit of it is attributed to the difference between a 3 & 4 cylinder engine. However, myself never felt the jerkiness as mentioned. Have driven the petrol engines of i10, Swift etc. Yes, they are surely silent and smoother.
gauravdgr8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2019, 23:15   #1135
BHPian

So, tomorrow most of the reviews would be live and we will have a fair idea on what's in a nutshell. But most awaited one would be the Tbhp First impressions. While rest all will be like filler acts before the main act isn't it? And once the tbhp one comes out we can then know which review stands where. Sharing a screenshot of Facebook Autocar page.

Mod note: Your post is very poorly constructed, and is an eyesore to read. Use CAPITAL letters where required and right punctuation.
These steps would go a long way in making your posts pleasurable to read for all of us (members & guests included).
Attached Thumbnails
Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-e6957296470d44d4a3f632d2c59f84e6.jpeg  

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 9th December 2019 at 15:32.
XRoader_001 is offline   (8) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 9th December 2019, 00:53   #1136
BHPian

Some drive reviews (scheduled for 9am) -

jailbird_fynix is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 07:51   #1137
Senior - BHPian

From what is known so far I guess the diesel is the pick of the lot. The engine seems to be pretty tractable and that is in fact the need of the hour. Top speed is useless in India today. Tractability of the motor will aid a lot in driving convenience. I guess Tata has got it spot on this time as far as the 1.5D is concerned. If so, they have come a long long way from their Indica days.

I like the looks of the car except for the black lining on the doors and the tacky speedo /odo design. I just wish they has stuck to the regular round dials. If they get the fit and finish right along with the pricing, they should have a winner on their hands.
Old 9th December 2019, 09:05   #1138
Senior - BHPian

With embargo out of the way, the reviews have started pouring in.

1. Widest exteriors in the segment, however rear legroom seems to be somewhere in between i20 & Baleno.
2. The antenna looks so bad on an otherwise good looking exterior. Sharkfin should have been given.
3. As expected the 3 cyl petrol is a little clattery but drivebaility seems good. Among engines Diesel seems to be the pick of the lot.
4. As already confirmed by Mr. Pareek, NO AMT
5. Petrol version gets idle stop/start.
6. Ride quality seems to be among the segment best

Source: ZigWheels

Last edited by SoumenD : 9th December 2019 at 09:25.
SoumenD is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 09:12   #1139
BHPian

Here's the rest of them -

jailbird_fynix is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 09:36   #1140
BHPian

WHAT A LOOKER!

This is one of the freshest designs IMHO in this segment. I have a feeling Tata will undercut the rivals because of the low and just sufficient power figures.

The Altroz in the EV guise would be an excellent prospect in the near future. With a 5 star safety rating and 350 km + range, would be great as a city ride and for short weekend trips.
TROOPER is offline   (9) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks