Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2019, 10:03   #1141
BHPian

re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Off topic, but does a certain auto magazine known for breaking embargoes in the past get a special treatment here (drive event). Just check the cars, P1 & D1!

Last edited by aditya79india : 9th December 2019 at 10:08.
Old 9th December 2019, 10:21   #1142
BHPian

re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailbird_fynix View Post
Here's the rest of them -
Looking at the specs, I knew that the petrol version of the car would not be a scorcher and the reviews have proved me right. I would rather wait for the JTP version.

Last edited by Eddy : 9th December 2019 at 10:35. Reason: Quoting video(s) hampers readability
shaheenazk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 10:54   #1143
BHPian

Don't know why this feature isn't been marketed enough but the altroz gets an 'activity key' like in Jaguars (and also the Nexon I believe)!

https://auto.ndtv.com/reviews/tata-a...ome-topstories

Overall, I genuinely like this car and want it to succeed. But the next-gen i20 is really breathing down the neck of the Altroz.

The ambient lighting really pops the interior though! Makes the cabin seem more premium than it actually is at night!
Old 9th December 2019, 11:17   #1144
BHPian

It doesn't take a lot of skill to guess that a 1200CC 3 Cyl engine that produces less than 90BHP would be an average engine at best, does it ? I don't know why Tata is shying away from going all out and launching a car. Just being average is not enough for them anymore. People who are willing to experiment (read as those who are willing to buy cars other than Maruti and Hyundai) are looking for something exciting. So, just because Maruti and Hyundai sell average cars doesn't mean Tata or Mahindra can sell one ! They need to bring out a car that stays ahead of the game at least in any one or two of the following departments - Engine, handling or features ! If they just play the "I am here too" cards, no one will buy them.

Right now, I think they ace everyone else in this segment in build quality. But that doesn't help as most people are still not aware of how a safe car can change their lives. Tata needs some tangible distinguishing factor for their cars to sell. Either a high output engine (the Nexon engine could have been great) or a car loaded with features (like the Hector) could help them gain market share. Once you start selling your car in good numbers, gradually increase the price and no one will complain. Until then, no car is going to save them. Wonder how many copies of this car will sell. The initial reviews suggest that this car is strictly average.

Last edited by DieselAddikt : 9th December 2019 at 11:19.
DieselAddikt is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 11:29   #1145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
Again depends on how well the car has been maintained, and a bit of it is attributed to the difference between a 3 & 4 cylinder engine. However, myself never felt the jerkiness as mentioned. Have driven the petrol engines of i10, Swift etc. Yes, they are surely silent and smoother.
From the Team BHP review of the Tiago. Not just my feeling. But to be fair I was comparing it to the best engine in the segment which is the K12 Suzuki engine. When I drove my dads Ford Freestyle petrol and the Tiago side by side the differences weren't as apparent.

Like some other 3-cylinder engines, city driving can get jerky though, especially in stop & go traffic. You'll have to put in special effort to drive smoothly. One needs to carefully manage the accelerator & clutch to avoid jerks.

That said the reviews of the Altroz is out and the engine is definitely not exactly the same as the Tiago as reviewers have said Tata has tweaked the engine and gets dual variable valve timing, a higher compression ratio and a balancer shaft for improved smoothness so it should definitely be a bit better engine than the one in the Tiago.
bf1983 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 12:37   #1146
BHPian

I really don't want the Altroz to end up like the Harrier!
No AT at launch is a big mistake and nobody knows this better than Tata motors but still they did the same thing.
If we go by the reviews, the engines are just okay and there's nothing special about it.
They say that AMT is not suitable for a premium hatch, then how are they offering the same technology in the Nexon which is one of their premium offerings?
Even if we say it's a welcome move (DCT), they said it will arrive at a later stage and that means the wait is pretty long as the Harrier still does not come with an AT.
I know I am critisizing a lot but it's really sad to see a company with so much potential just led down by it's wrong moves!
Nazaar25 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 13:20   #1147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazaar25 View Post
They say that AMT is not suitable for a premium hatch, then how are they offering the same technology in the Nexon which is one of their premium offerings?

If you see the competition then it is clear what the manufacturers are thinking. The competition for Altroz are Baleno and i20 which comes in proper AT whereas for Nexon, Brezza and XUV300 comes with AMT with an exception of Ecosport. So it is clever thinking by TATA.
Prateek19 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 14:33   #1148
BHPian

Quote:
So it is clever thinking by TATA.
I do agree with your point but I think if a company believes that 'premium' cars deserve proper ATs then they should do it irrespective of the competition. For example- Hyundai and Ford went for DCT and TC ATs respectively although 3 of the main cars in the segment were offering AMTs.
Old 9th December 2019, 16:24   #1149
Senior - BHPian

Today is supposed to be the big day for the release of all the reviews and going by this thread even on teambhp nobody is really bothered much. Nothing much on twitter also.
avishar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 16:51   #1150
BHPian

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-rev...b1Z55ru-yoQ8_E

The autocar review suggests an anemic petrol engine. This alone may be a deal breaker given the Baleno has a stonker of a petrol engine for performance, the Figo/Freestyle Dragon series is pretty competent by itself, the Jazz has a butter smooth feel-good petrol and even the Hyundai i20 is quite a capable one.

Don't quite understand why Tata is starting the battle with such an handicap!
amitayu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 16:59   #1151
BHPian

I am very excited for the Altroz, i want Indians to understand the value of a solidly built safe car instead of tin cans and gimmicks.
1.The car is a looker in my opinion, the wide body and the sporty design grew on me .
2. Interiors are good as well, some sharp edges here and there but it's fine, the interior is very practical
3. Diesel engine is one of the best in segment with good torque and minimum turbo lag
4. Petrol engine is mediocre but i drive a Polo 1.2 petrol and that has the least power and torque in the segment with the car weighing a ton, and i find that engine fine in the city and on highways till 100 kmph. So the altroz petrol engine should be enough for everyone
5. There's enough space for 5 people inside so complaints there.
6. The car has excellent riding dynamics and it handles very well, that's a very plus point.
7. The most important, car is solidly built, going by TATA's record it will score 5 star in global NCAP as well. So for me safety is the most important aspect of a car and altroz fulfills that.
yesyeswe is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 17:41   #1152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitayu View Post
https://www.autocarindia.com/car-rev...b1Z55ru-yoQ8_E

The autocar review suggests an anemic petrol engine. This alone may be a deal breaker given the Baleno has a stonker of a petrol engine for performance, the Figo/Freestyle Dragon series is pretty competent by itself, the Jazz has a butter smooth feel-good petrol and even the Hyundai i20 is quite a capable one.

Don't quite understand why Tata is starting the battle with such an handicap!
While the revotron may be unrefined compared to its 4 cylinder rivals it isnt anaemic by any stretch of imagination. It feels adequate in the Tiago and the kerb weight of Altroz from whats being reported is under 1050kg and tiago too is in the same ballpark.

Capable and i20 petrol don't fit in the same phrase, i20's petrol engine is by far the most lethargic engine i have ever driven, there is no performance from it at all dosent matter how hard you rev. What they need to improve is a couple of flat spots in the rev range and it will be a decent engine
trinity0114 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 21:46   #1153
BHPian

Quote:
I really don't want the Altroz to end up like the Harrier!
No AT at launch is a big mistake and nobody knows this better than Tata motors but still they did the same thing.
If we go by the reviews, the engines are just okay and there's nothing special about it.
!
I agree with the petrol but the diesel is "just okay"?
Where did you get that? Almost all reviews I've seen say that the diesel is a good engine. Just FYI, baleno and swift are still chugging along with that prehistoric 75hp motor.
The power and torque figures are almost the same to i20. This engine cannot be compared to the GT TDI as it's a hot hatch and a different segment.

Diesel Altroz is a good car, imo. Good tractable engine which has a good punch in the mid range.
SaiSW is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 22:09   #1154
BHPian

Quote:
Where did you get that?
My bad. The diesel is much better than the petrol but I still feel 10-15 more horsepower could have added more zing to the motor.
Now I am not saying that it's an underpowered machine in any way but it's definitely not in the same league as the Ford Figo TDCi and as ACI said, the new platform deserves a more powerful engine.
Nazaar25 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 22:32   #1155
BHPian

Quote:
My bad. The diesel is much better than the petrol but I still feel 10-15 more horsepower could have added more zing to the motor.
Now I am not saying that it's an underpowered machine in any way but it's definitely not in the same league as the Ford Figo TDCi and as ACI said, the new platform deserves a more powerful engine.
Add 15 more HP and the power becomes 105 BHP, that's same as nexon, they need some differentiating factor between the cars as well.
We want car to be cheap to undercut the competitors, moreover people want it to be fuel efficient as tin cans give better fuel economy vs the competition. It costs a lot more to build a safe car as compared to giving gimmicks.
So it's not like TATA could do everything altogether, they'll launch the JTP edition and with that maybe will give more power both in petrol and diesel.
Talking about ford, well they aren't putting the sales charts on fire, you need a balanced product to be a success, and right now altroz looks like one
yesyeswe is offline   (8) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed