Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2020, 15:15   #1411
BHPian

re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Tata, take a bow! Another 5 Star GNCAP rating

They should market this heavily. Personally, I find it a great looking car, specially in white and red.

The only Achilles heel could be the lack of a good automatic.

Last edited by Shreyas_H : 15th January 2020 at 15:16. Reason: Grammar
Shreyas_H is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 15th January 2020, 15:16   #1412
BHPian

re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Saw it in flesh today. Looks like demo models have arrived. Was the gold one which is not my favorite but still a looker.
Old 15th January 2020, 15:31   #1413
Senior - BHPian

To me, this car looks like the third generation of the Jazz. I though the car would look ordinary, but the actual pictures look good!

Tata is hitting it out of the park for quite sometime now, the buyers have just not responded well to Tata.

Hexa, Tiago, Tigor, Nexon, Harrier, now Altroz. Thats a a formidable lineup! But still poor sales! Some thing is failing on the marketing and sales front! People are buying Kia with little India presence, but not the Tata Cars!
2000rpm is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th January 2020, 19:15   #1414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Please check the clutch ASAP once you get the first chance of TD. Perhaps the clutch is very light making your fear a void. I am just trying to be very optimistic here but considering the clutch of petrol Tiago I am very happy about the softness, it is extremely light and no issues for me for daily B2B Bangalore traffic.
Thanks @rajivtelang

Altroz indeed my second contender. Will ofcourse do the test drive and decide.
Old 16th January 2020, 08:37   #1415
Distinguished - BHPian

The car isn't launched yet but I saw a gold colour altroz on road today here in Trichy. It had the ribbon on the bonnet, and had a family in it. Definitely did not look like a test drive sample. I guess white and red shades would look even better.

The car looked amazing in that shade. I thought it would look cringe in gold, from seeing the pics. Definitely does NOT resemble the Tiago and that's a huge advantage.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 16th January 2020 at 08:39.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2020, 09:21   #1416
BANNED

Yesterday evening I went to a Tata motors dealership to take a look at the Nexon. I must say that the Altroz news has created a ripple in terms of enthusiasm in the dealership staff. The guys are no more like older clueless people; now they know that they have to talk safety and tell the customers that "yes sir, we are the ones who offer the safest cars in the price range".

I didn't talk of Altroz, but the sales guy and the manager themselves have mentioned it a few times - not just to me; but others too. In fact there were 2-3 more customers who must have come after office like us, they were particularly talking of Altroz only. I have seen Tata dealership ambiance and staff attitude changing from the Tiago days - the difference is clearly visible. Although slowly, these guys are moving in the right direction for sure.

BTW, I just noticed that the diesel motor has its peak torque coming in at just 1250 rpm and is flat till 3000; man - this is going to be a breeze in the hills on on the inclines. Mods please confirm from your media drive experience!!

Last edited by VKumar : 16th January 2020 at 09:50.
VKumar is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 16th January 2020, 09:44   #1417
BHPian

2 full pages ad in the ToI today. Only then did I realise that the Altroz comes with Idle Stop Start feature. I don't remeber if this was discussed by any journalist previewer or anyone else.

This is a great feature to save fuel in congested Indian cities. It's not me technology but I just hope that the implementation is done correctly instead of how Tata usually do things: launch things first then fix things that don't work. The Tiago and Nexon were the rare examples of doing things the right way. Then the harrier came and it was clear that Tata went back to the old ways.
Motard_Blr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th January 2020, 10:09   #1418
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICHE View Post
The backrest of the child seat for the 3-year-old child dummy (installed forward-facing with Isofix anchorages) unlatched during the crash and the dummy’s head made contact with the interior; this led to a deduction of points.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
I'd say the child seat used wasn't much good. It broke. The child restraint system for such tests is specified by the car maker. Perhaps Tata should have used a different vendor I wonder.
In fact - it seems the back-rest of the rear passenger seat itself unlatched. The back that folds down to make more boot space I think. That's basically QC issue on the assembly line!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
2 full pages ad in the ToI today. Only then did I realise that the Altroz comes with Idle Stop Start feature. I don't remeber if this was discussed by any journalist previewer or anyone else.
This is a great feature to save fuel in congested Indian cities. It's not me technology but I just hope that the implementation is done correctly instead of how Tata usually do things: launch things first then fix things that don't work. The Tiago and Nexon were the rare examples of doing things the right way. Then the harrier came and it was clear that Tata went back to the old ways.
No the feature has been shown in the reviews. It has an enable/disable button near driver's right knee on the dashboard. IMO in Indian traffic conditions the feature is quite useless. I have been countless rides in Ertigas with this feature (as part of the SHVS) in daily office commute. This thing keeps on stopping and starting the engine ever so often in creeping traffic / signal line conditions. And it also results in AC compressor getting switched off. In a car with more than 2 passengers, the AC switching off constantly heats up the cabin a lot & takes a while to cool down again. Not the best of items IMO.

Last edited by Reinhard : 16th January 2020 at 10:12.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th January 2020, 11:00   #1419
BANNED

Now bring out an Automatic version and an Altroz sedan! There is still room for a good sedan in the City,Ciaz category which I feel can be bettered by Tata.
Old 16th January 2020, 11:06   #1420
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
Now bring out an Automatic version and an Altroz sedan! There is still room for a good sedan in the City,Ciaz category which I feel can be bettered by Tata.
People are not yet ready to accept Tata in City/Ciaz segment. Tata should take its sweet time before entering Ciaz's segment. Mighty Maruti had tough time entering that segment, it won't be easy for Tata, and anyhow the segment is not a volume segment.
wheelguy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th January 2020, 11:54   #1421
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
People are not yet ready to accept Tata in City/Ciaz segment. Tata should take its sweet time before entering Ciaz's segment. Mighty Maruti had tough time entering that segment, it won't be easy for Tata, and anyhow the segment is not a volume segment.
+1 @wheelguy.
Focusing on a sedan to launch in an already highly competitive and shrinking segment would be exactly the same mistake that Tata made when they ignored the SUV segment to focus on lower ones!

They must focus now only on the booming ones. Bring in the compact SUV between Nexon-Harrier & work on cementing the hatchback segments for bread and butter sales using safety pitch & good looks. Returns on entering a segment that is seeing reduced market share QoQ won't be their smartest decision.
Reinhard is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th January 2020, 14:38   #1422
BHPian

My office complex contains a Tata motors showroom and saw them prepping a golden Altroz which they informed was going to be delivered to a customer today.

Looks good in flesh, however being a VW Polo owner felt that the interiors lacked quality and the car also lacks precense when compared to an i20.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-img_20200116_134753.jpg  

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-img_20200116_134749.jpg  

Thebat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th January 2020, 14:42   #1423
BHPian

How can they deliver the car? Have they launched it ? Didn't see any pricing info anywhere.
Dieselritzer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th January 2020, 17:12   #1424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebat View Post
My office complex contains a Tata motors showroom and saw them prepping a golden Altroz which they informed was going to be delivered to a customer today.

Looks good in flesh, however being a VW Polo owner felt that the interiors lacked quality and the car also lacks precense when compared to an i20.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
The car isn't launched yet but I saw a gold colour altroz on road today here in Trichy. It had the ribbon on the bonnet, and had a family in it. Definitely did not look like a test drive sample. I guess white and red shades would look even better.

The car looked amazing in that shade. I thought it would look cringe in gold, from seeing the pics. Definitely does NOT resemble the Tiago and that's a huge advantage.
What's happening here? It's not launched yet. Price is not revealed. How can they deliver the car?? When Harrier was launched, the first customer got his Harrier in the launch event and now Altroz is being delivered(?) even before the launch. Where else in the world does this happen?
HarshGtR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2020, 18:34   #1425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebat View Post
the car also lacks precense when compared to an i20.
Would you mind telling me what exactly you meant? Like do you mean it looks smaller or something else?
SaiSW is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed