Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2019, 21:44   #331
BHPian

re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Alfa Architecture of Altroz

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-screenshot_20190301214341_youtube.jpg

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-screenshot_20190301214235_youtube.jpg

Last edited by ampere : 3rd March 2019 at 02:38.
uday.ere is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2019, 15:12   #332
BHPian

re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Quite similar to the rendered image

Attached Thumbnails
Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-screenshot_20190302151001.png  

HarshGtR is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2019, 02:25   #333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarshGtR View Post
Altroz's interior? This looks beautiful. It's definitely not a photo of concept car as the interior looks production ready. Electric Parking Brake and a rotary switch for driving modes.😍
I remember reading a news article that mentioned this picture being that of the H7X, not the Altroz. Can't find the link in history, and Google search shows up nothing now, very weird. Like it was deleted for some reason.

This is all just speculation and we should take all of these articles with a pinch of salt, but if that indeed is the interior switch gear of the Altroz, then I can safely assume that the interior material quality will, as usual for recent Tata products, be a segment or two higher. I own a Tiago and have driven all the other cars in it's segment, and the interior plastics and overall quality of materials used feels like a segment above but they really have to work on fit and finish. Rubber beading along doors are rough at the corners, and there are many rough edges on the lower and extreme sides of the dashboard.

They have to learn about finishing from Hyundai. While I wasn't particularly impressed by the Grand i10, the fit and finish is very good. No rough edges, nothing of that sort, everything is just well put together inside.

Now only if they get the transmission setup right. If they mess up the manual by offering a 5 speed and then give an AMT for the auto variant, then I'll be extremely disappointed. Let's hope all the rumours coming out turns out to be false and there is a TC/CVT/DCT for auto and a 6 speed for manual.
SaiSW is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2019, 03:49   #334
Senior - BHPian

If that car ends up like those renderings, it's on my shortlist for an upgrade from the Polo. It looks absolutely stunning and to be honest, this alone is enough for it to become a hit!
McLaren Rulez is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2019, 07:34   #335
BHPian

For me, this car might end my search. The only car that currently ticked 9/10 boxes for me is the Baleno. That unticked box is build quality. This car as of now has 2 important aspects unknown, engine and gearbox combination. Looks, GC, adjustable rear headrests, build quality, and pricing are things where Tata have not messed up recently, so I'm positively assuming these things will be taken care of. I truly hope they don't give an AMT with this car, and that they launch the auto box atleast from the mid variant up instead of base and then directly the top most.
Dieselritzer is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2019, 08:19   #336
Senior - BHPian

Forget the body styles, all this counts for nothing if you can't get a proper automatic at launch. On one hand there's this tech jargon and on the other Tata launches it's products with out automatic transmission citing silly reasons.
Durango Dude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2019, 08:54   #337
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselritzer View Post
I truly hope they don't give an AMT with this car, and that they launch the auto box atleast from the mid variant up instead of base and then directly the top most.
Do they have any other automatic gearbox in their entire range, except the Hexa?

For the Harrier - they are sourcing an automatic from Hyundai - but I doubt if that would be economical in this price segment of the Altroz.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2019, 10:24   #338
Senior - BHPian

Autocar India had reported that Tata was considering to develop a Dual Clutch Transmission for their premium cars line up. Wonder if they've done that.

source - https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...gearbox-407394

Last edited by safari_lover : 3rd March 2019 at 10:34.
safari_lover is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2019, 11:54   #339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
If that car ends up like those renderings, it's on my shortlist for an upgrade from the Polo. It looks absolutely stunning and to be honest, this alone is enough for it to become a hit!
I too love the looks of recent tatas, but if they mess up the transmission department, then it'll be a disappointment. I prefer a manual anyday, because it gives me maximum control over the car, and if it's launched with the nexon's 1.5L 260NM engine as it is plus a 6 speed shifter, then I'll sell my soul to the devil in exchange for some vitamin-m

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
Autocar India had reported that Tata was considering to develop a Dual Clutch Transmission for their premium cars line up. Wonder if they've done that.

source - https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...gearbox-407394
I think that is reserved for the JTP variants of upcoming launches, which can be expected within a year. Only that would make sense, or else I think they'll be making a loss for each vehicle, because just think about it, top class interiors, top class build quality, all the gizmos including the floating touchscreen, the part-digital instrument cluster and ( not confirmed ) leather finish on top of dashboard, all this and where do they expect to make money?

I wondered about the same when I took delivery of my Tiago, the interior was just too good for it's price point, the engines weren't as bad as some people claimed it to be and the audio system might be worth as much as a normal commuter motorbike in itself.

Last edited by Aditya : 3rd March 2019 at 16:13. Reason: Back to back posts merged
SaiSW is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2019, 13:58   #340
BHPian

Well all this time the teasers we saw of the cyan car were for Altroz EV. Many websites reported it to be H7X.

Quote:
A glimpse of what’s in store for #TataMotorsAtGIMS . A signature humanity line accentuated by dual ultra slim LED headlamps, along with a digitally inspired lower grill
Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-37ec6a8b10a24fda8454704ab12b510c.jpeg

Much clearer look after photoshop.

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-b56650762fc94250bff4914d7f28783d.png

Source

Last edited by amrutmhatre90 : 3rd March 2019 at 14:04.
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2019, 14:29   #341
BHPian

Wishfully, I want them to have gone full retard on this.
Start at 12-14L, so they don't have silly corners to cut. Make a legit A-class competitor. Use materials, and an engine & transmission that are truly premium. An optional auto-box, obviously. Add in safety features, good brakes, the expected creature comforts. A few snazzy bits, like a thumping sound system, sporty colours etc. They've got the looks down already.

And then, create a JTP variant.

Ah, who am I kidding. No sane manufacturer would do all of this. And Tata probably can't.
ach1lles is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 4th March 2019, 07:40   #342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ach1lles View Post
Start at 12-14L, so they don't have silly corners to cut. Make a legit A-class competitor..

Ah, who am I kidding. No sane manufacturer would do all of this. And Tata probably can't.
I think you summed it up yourself. Like the commoner says, the brand name doesn't carry that snob value.

What I would however like to see and think possible is getting their fit, finish and refinement at Hyundai level and reliability right up to the famed Toyota levels.

Typically Skoda-like. E-Class features, S-Class space at C-Class prices.
discoverwild is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2019, 08:30   #343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ach1lles View Post
Start at 12-14L, so they don't have silly corners to cut. Make a legit A-class competitor.

Similar thoughts!! I had left a tweet to Pratap Bose sometime last week to consider giving us a Golf competitor.

Last edited by octane_100 : 4th March 2019 at 08:31. Reason: fixed grammar
Old 4th March 2019, 15:13   #344
BHPian

ALTROZ - Pratap Bose Sketch

kalleo4 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th March 2019, 16:23   #345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalleo4 View Post
They didn't even go ahead with a shark fin antenna on the concept sketch? Is it a mere deception or would this good looking car have a dated looking antenna
Closed Thread

Most Viewed