Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2019, 16:17   #391
BHPian

re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub.g84 View Post
Somehow the teasers and the final car gives me a different perspective. But hey, it still maybe too early to comment.

Couple of observations:

3) Thick A pillars may spoil the visibility while taking turns.
4) I don't see the electric parking brake in the pics. Neither do I see the Auto gear box.
The C-Pillar is also quite big due to the rear door handle and the electric parking brake is there in Altroz EV and not in the standard car.

But what's more disappointing is the rear. They've spoiled this car with the rear profile alone. It looks like a toy car from behind. With Harrier, Tata took one step ahead and with Altroz they've gone two steps back
HarshGtR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2019, 16:48   #392
BHPian

re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Utterly underwhelmed with the design!

The kink above the bumper (both front and back) reminds me of the new Honda design on the Amaze and the Civic, which I hate. Looks like someone sucker-punched it on the chin and the chin has gone in.

Bigger disappointment is the teaser image of the auto dial that was released. Turns out it belongs on the EV. Looks more and more like the launch model will NOT come with auto transmission. And if it does, then it will be an AMT.

I honestly do not find anything exciting about the Altroz.
Old 5th March 2019, 16:48   #393
BHPian

One word - Overdone!
It's like they started designing it and just forgot that they had to stop at a point. The front is weird with that protruding bonnet, unwanted chrome strip and the rear is just outright revolting.
+ squarish speedometer looks dated and out of place.
+ alloys look like they have been picked for cheap from the aftermarket.

Seeing it in flesh will be necessary to change my perspective. Potential contender for "Car designs you didn't like initially, but then warmed up to?" thread!
arbaz906 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2019, 16:49   #394
BHPian

I guess the designers can only do so much in terms of design for a hatchback. I mean how much more different or radical can a hatchback be designed?

The instrument cluster reminded me of the Toyota Etios/Liva.

This design also has that unmistakable Indica profile from the front atleast. They just cannot get away from that shell.
NFS2024 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2019, 16:51   #395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarik.arora View Post
Am i missing something here? Which competition product are you referring to?
Not the current gen i20, but the previous gen had it in one of the variants. Asta I think?
Old 5th March 2019, 17:29   #396
BHPian

I like the exterior design, its kind of radical just like how Nexon was. It will polarise opinions but in the B2 premium segment with Baleno & i20 ruling the roost this kind of 'in your face' design would give Altroz much need differentiation.

The interior design and the materials used (by the look of it) is underwhelming. I expected better from TATA since now they have created expectations and set the bar high in recent times.

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-1_578_872_0_70_http___cdni.autocarindia.com_galleries_20190305023958_altroz-interior.jpg

Anyways it would only be fair to comment on the design and interiors after seeing the car in flesh. I wish TATA retain Nexon's powertrain at least for the top variant and the lower & mid variants can have the (speculated) de-tuned version.

I expect TATA to go all out of safety front to give the differentiation as both Baleno & i20 are feature packed (convenience & comfort wise). TATA can offer segment first features - ESP, TC, Hill Hold & TPMS.

They will have to get slush boxes for both the fuel options to complete the package.

Quote:
8) No sunroof? Competition offers it.
None of its competition offer.

Quote:
Not the current gen i20, but the previous gen had it in one of the variants. Asta I think?
Even i10, but doesn't matter because they "HAD".

Nevertheless it would have been the biggest differentiating factor from competition had TATA offered sunroof.

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 5th March 2019 at 17:51.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th March 2019, 18:44   #397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Overstyled - the production version, specially the rear 3/4th view, with all those black elements in the rear and side windowline. Impact Design 2.0 is losing elegance in favour of 'look-at-me!'.

Altroz EV looks good, so many be the Altroz production version would look good in darker colours as well - which can hide all that black.
True, I think lower variants without dose of this much black will look much more elegant.

There is lot of time till actual production version comes out. TATA can reduce the dose of black to tone down a bit. Earlier I used to prefer black like displayed in this car but for Altroz it is not going that well.
Old 5th March 2019, 18:46   #398
Senior - BHPian

It feels like Tata started with the bigger Tiago as the baseline and then decided to add a bit of Nexon to it! It looks decent in the darker shades though.

According to the specsheet, looks like we'll have a fourth variant of the 1.2 Revotron making 100BHP and 140NM on this one.

source - https://gims2019.tatamotors.com/products/altroz/

Last edited by safari_lover : 5th March 2019 at 18:48.
safari_lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2019, 18:51   #399
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
There is lot of time till actual production version comes out.
Believe Altroz is the production version, and only the Altroz EV is a concept. Here is the press release from TATA -

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-screenshot_201903051846492.png
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 5th March 2019, 19:06   #400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Overstyled - the production version, specially the rear 3/4th view, with all those black elements in the rear and side windowline. Impact Design 2.0 is losing elegance in favour of 'look-at-me!'.

Altroz EV looks good, so many be the Altroz production version would look good in darker colours as well - which can hide all that black.
I hope the dark shades will not have those elements at the back in WHITE like Nexon .
Old 5th March 2019, 19:17   #401
BHPian

Could have been better with less!

We will wait for the final outcome with engine options and safety rating, but this car is over-designed, funky and with too many creases, lines, curves, glossy black highlighters and what not. The front headlights are way too long inside the fenders (Reminds me Mahindra KUV). The rear of the car also gets similar treatment and appears to be an aftermarket thought.

Pardon me, if I am wrong the see the silhouette of Indica in this model also.

Last edited by Subby : 5th March 2019 at 19:19.
Subby is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2019, 19:34   #402
srh
BHPian

Those thick black appliques around the side windows and below the rear windows look horrendous.

The recessed portion around the side windows look equally pathetic.

Wonder if the design brief was to create a quirky car!
Old 5th March 2019, 19:38   #403
Senior - BHPian

Went overboard with the design. Was expecting a classy and timeless sort of design, this one looks like they outsourced work to the boys at Mahindra.
Steeroid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2019, 19:43   #404
BHPian

Is it just me or this design brings elements from Vista back and maybe Honda Mobilo-ish rear design.... I think that the plastic quality looks not plush anymore.

Altroz EV looks slightly better suited for Production but that hideous rear has to be mellowed down
rajesh.palaria is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2019, 20:33   #405
BHPian

The concept had me hooked since the expo reveal, test mules kept the interests sustained, but this looks hideous in its production form and what kind of colors are these. I was skeptical by looking at the recent scoop images about the overall form but still thought that the proportions would be better managed when launched.

Was planning on having the Altroz in my test drive list but I think I will give it a pass, the design is too radical and may work for someone who is adventurous enough to try something new (which isn't a bad thing per se), just that i had some high hopes for this particular vehicle.

Maybe the looks will become more acceptable few months down the line. Let's see how it works out considering that the Nexon had polarizing opinions at the start as well.

Last edited by sandx : 5th March 2019 at 20:49.
sandx is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks