Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2019, 21:12   #451
BHPian

re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
Let's hope that isn't true and it gets a diesel. A petrol is not feasible for me and if there is no diesel, then I'd have to give this a miss.

Just checked the interwebs and most of them mention the same thing. But then, most are just copy and paste jobs of another website, so I'm waiting, fingers crossed for official news regarding the diesel.

If it turns out to be true eventually, then I'll be extremely disappointed at Tata. They will have lost a lot of customers, including me if there's no diesel.
In press release too, only petrol's specifications were revealed. So it's highly likely Tata will focus on petrol and electric versions only. We should still wait for official announcement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
HarshGtR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2019, 21:26   #452
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarshGtR View Post
  • Lightweight (965 kg)

Source: CarToq
Looks like end of cars built like tank is coming to an end. Would be quiet risky to have an heavy car which only has petrol option. Not a big fan of light cars though, expected other car makers to follow Tata, this seems to be going the other way
Old 6th March 2019, 21:42   #453
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
Let's hope that isn't true and it gets a diesel. A petrol is not feasible for me and if there is no diesel, then I'd have to give this a miss.
TATA or not - we need to learn to live with BS6 - the future of small diesel cars will come to an end. Maruti has announced the same for rivals like the Swift as well (though Baleno is likely to get the 1.5).

Personally - I feel that diesels will get limited to the sub-4m SUV segment (Nexon) and above, and these will move up in price significantly.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th March 2019, 21:51   #454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
TATA or not - we need to learn to live with BS6 - the future of small diesel cars will come to an end. Maruti has announced the same for rivals like the Swift as well (though Baleno is likely to get the 1.5).

Personally - I feel that diesels will get limited to the sub-4m SUV segment (Nexon) and above, and these will move up in price significantly.
Off topic, sorry.

If I get a discount on petrol prices or get a true ( not those start stop based psuedo hybrid ones ) hybrid system that ensures diesel level mileage figures, then I'll gladly take the petrol. Otherwise it's just a nuisance, and as usual it's people like me, that suffer the most.

A petrol is just not feasible for me, it's a lesson I learnt the hard way after owning a petrol Tiago for about 2 years now. I don't have a million dollar bank balance so I go with what's economical. If not Tata, then some other company, that's it. I love Tata and have actually received an infraction for fanboy messages, so I guess you can understand how frustrated I am.

To be honest, more than frustrated, I'm also a bit heartbroken over this news.

Last edited by SaiSW : 6th March 2019 at 21:58.
Old 6th March 2019, 22:48   #455
Senior - BHPian

No diesel option means less product testing which in-turn means lower cost of development - TATA isn't in the best financial shape & these savings may give them the ability to make abit of profit with a fair price.

Poor noise insulation like the Harrier should NOT be carried over. IMO it's reasonable to demand the car is well refined, it'd be amazingly great if it was as good Honda & Hyundai.

Also, they could provide a CNG variant with a customised cylinder ex-factory, not like the bulky ordinary after-market ones.

Interior quality, fit & finish will surely be a notch lower than Hyundai. Expertise in this has to be improved & TATA will take alot if time for such levels.

External designs could've been cleaner, especially at the rear. In general, over engineering the sharp creases makes designs look wannabe-ish.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 6th March 2019 at 22:51.
GrammarNazi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2019, 23:08   #456
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarshGtR View Post
  • Lightweight (965 kg)

Source: CarToq
Damn!!! That's lighter than Tiago

With 100bhp & 140Nm torque, this would be able to run rings around the i20 & Baleno petrol. But then hope the power delivery isn't marred by turbo-lag.

In the interview with Kartikeya (zigwheels) Pratap Bose says they are targeting a 5 star NCAP for this platform (will be shared by H2X). If they are able to manage that with this weight, would be commendable. Not that it matters in our market though.

Last edited by SoumenD : 6th March 2019 at 23:12.
SoumenD is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 07:08   #457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Damn!!! That's lighter than Tiago

With 100bhp & 140Nm torque, this would be able to run rings around the i20 & Baleno petrol. But then hope the power delivery isn't marred by turbo-lag.

In the interview with Kartikeya (zigwheels) Pratap Bose says they are targeting a 5 star NCAP for this platform (will be shared by H2X). If they are able to manage that with this weight, would be commendable. Not that it matters in our market though.
Well BMW and Merc also create lightweight cars, just that they use superior light materials that increase the strength ten fold. Tata being Tata, is probably the same case. Maybe not carbotanium/fibre/etc. but I'm 200% sure they'll never skimp on sheet metal or structural integrity.

That sub-900 kg figure is probably the result of smart engineering in the new Modular platforms. I'm just imagining what madness the newer gen JTP cars based on the modular platforms will have. I was disappointed that there was no diesel option, but a JTP variant will be too spicey to ignore.

A proper hot hatch with none of the drawbacks.

Last edited by SaiSW : 7th March 2019 at 07:12. Reason: Trimmed the post
SaiSW is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 08:01   #458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Lighter weight would probably mean use of thinner sheet metal or lighter sheet metal. As many have pointed out in this Baleno thread, safety/structural rigidity doesn't depend on the sheet metal -

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4414774

So if Tata is targeting 5 star, they must have done their research. Kudos to them and good for the customers!
FrodoOfTheShire is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 08:22   #459
Senior - BHPian

Hormazd Sorabjee from Autocar India confirms that the Altroz will get the 1.5L Diesel, along with the 1.2LNA and 1.2L Turbo Petrol. He generally gets it right when it comes to inside information.

Last edited by safari_lover : 7th March 2019 at 08:24.
safari_lover is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 08:35   #460
BHPian

With BS-VI becoming the death bed of small diesels (mainly less than 1.5-litre or sub-10 lac cars), it isn't a surprise that Altroz 'may' not come with a diesel unit. Similarly, i expect i20 to come only in petrol avtaar. Too many if's and but's at the moment.

With the news that Maruti might offer Baleno with the new 1.5 diesel, it will not make sense for Tata or anyone else to drop the diesel engine as they will loose volumes big time. I guess, Tata will still keep on working with the Altorz diesel, but if it gets launched or not, will depend on the overall competitive scenario.

Imagine, the pricing of top variants of these hatchbacks (diesel) will touch the 12-lac mark after BS-VI
tarik.arora is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 11:09   #461
BHPian

Folks, and all those with your Birdies, please try and get some info on an automatic variant.

Between, i feel the car looks fab. I think many here feel the car is overdone because all the renders that we saw till date showed a more straight line approach with no bloatware. In real, the car would be a looker especially those awesome headlamps. How with news coming on the light weight of the car, i just hope it isn't flimsy like the Baleno that would get tiny dents and rattles easily.

However, as of now, all we are doing is typing our hopes and expectations. When the cars reach showrooms and test drive reports are out is when we would get a true sense of what the entire package looks like.

But one thing is sure, the company does have a think tank who wants to make good looking, feature rich cars without compromising safety. Now if that takes the costs up and pulls them away from being a VFM brand, i think that should be ok. Everything comes at a cost, and if they deliver what is projected, the person paying for it should not feel shortchanged. Forums will have folks who would Bash/Pamper TATA based on their perspective, but the fact that brand is getting discussed and Tiago & Nexon bringing in good numbers should be motivating for them.

Can't wait for the car to hit roads!

Last edited by Dieselritzer : 7th March 2019 at 11:17.
Dieselritzer is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 12:14   #462
BHPian

If I had to describe the Altroz in one word, it would be ‘overstyled’. I had high expectations, especially after the Tiago (which is one of the best looking hatches on Indian roads IMO) and I am disappointed. The interior materials too look unfinished.

And mind you, I am not averse to futuristic designs. I think the Nexon looks fab, so does the Harrier. This one just doesn’t cut it.

The question has to be asked - is Tata spreading themselves too thin with so many launches? Better to launch one sorted product a year rather than launching so many unfinished products in a hurry, no?
Aaron:) is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 12:19   #463
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
Hormazd Sorabjee from Autocar India
Hormazd isn't a tall guy - but seems to be having only just about enough space in that rear seat - headroom especially!
Old 7th March 2019, 13:30   #464
BHPian

I was going through a couple of videos and one thing that I saw was the "Geneva edition" moniker. I feel that there might be quite a few changes before the car hits the Indian market. There was a Tigor/Tiago Geneva edition too which was pretty different from the ones sold in India. Specifically the bumper fog lamp arrangements.

Personally I like what Tata is offering here except the name (Jeesh!) . A light platform with a powerful engine options could mean good efficiency as well as performance.

Also I read the 5 star safety benchmark was mentioned for the Hornbill production variant and not Altroz.

I see a useful armrest, rear ac vents, I like the instrument cluster. Space though not generous seems ok. Boot space @ 340 litres seems usable. The rear door handle implementation is very neat. Standard dash layout.

If it gets the basics right, it would work really well. I just hope the 17inch wheels make it into production.

More importantly this is not a stop gap arrangement and on a new platform which future cars will be built upon, so no feeling of buying stuff which would be outdated anytime soon.

Overall I think Tata has just the right ingredients. The only request is to just launch it with a good automatic option.

Looking forward to this one (just like every other Tata launch )
400notout is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 14:40   #465
BHPian

Few official sketches of the Tata Altroz from Mr Pratap Bose himself.

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-551a8fbe73884dd2b623fe3b20bcd2a3.jpeg

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-30e4a95e4e0945bf84470f2273412f5f.jpeg

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-664d207da0e44c7aa4173e91eaa4e4b7.jpeg

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-f3fc11e2175049318ea65d08ed4ebb29.jpeg

Source
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (16) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks