Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2019, 14:43   #466
BHPian

re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Looking at some of the comments against the Buzzard, Altroz and the H2X, I seriously get the statement now that 'it is very hard to please everyone'.
Why now? I thought, that statement applied only to laymen (who are design-wise, limited) and not for this community, where most of us are automotive aficionados, but, the response has been shockingly polarizing!

I think, I belong to that minority section who believe that Tata has the best looking PV portfolio in India as of now. Please note, I'm talking only with respect to the designs and not the cars overall. Every vehicle of theirs has a magnificent character which is getting better day by day! And this is saying a lot to a manufacturer who was stuck with the 'egg' shape for a long long time starting with the Indica, all the way to the very recent, Zest. Sure, the Indica design traits are still there with the Tiago and Nexon but then, they are thoroughly modern, likeable and refreshing designs! And, I'm 200% sure all of you will agree, Tiago, Tigor, JTPs, Nexon, Safari, Hexa, Harrier - none of these are bad looking cars whatsoever!

Before you label me as a TATA fanboy, let me tell you that neither have I owned a TATA car in my life nor have I got anything to do with the company itself. In fact, I've hated TATA cars for the longest time. Now though, I feel I'm converted.

Coming to stars of the Geneva motor show, I'm really excited for the Buzzard and the Altroz. I know, the names are quite stupid, Buzzard especially. I've worked on a project which was called Buzzard and that was a big Oil and Gas offshore platform! Wonder what was wrong in resurrecting the brand Sumo or Sierra.
The transition from H5X to H7X is very nice. While the Harrier looks young and unconventional, the Buzzard looks truly grown up and mature. Look at the competition - Endeavor, Fortuner, Alturas and MUX, the Buzzard fits in nicely. I just hope TATA prices is reasonably and the audiences give it a chance.

The Altroz, for me, will be the best looking hatch if the production version can match the Geneva car by 90-95%. Again, I'm just talking about looks and not the practicality, handling, mileage, engines and the likes. The design is very balanced and would certainly make an European happy. There are one or two things that could've been better - the black plastic along the side windows (a-la Nexon) and the blackened headlights which would otherwise look good on any car, make the Altroz dull-eyed (if I can say that). But hey, no car is perfect nowadays. I sat inside a Nexon and was truly blown away with the interior design and the Altroz takes it a notch further with the flat bottomed steering wheel.

It's a pity that every TATA car goes through immense scrutiny here and everywhere else while the other manufacturers who produce some really bad looking cars, are lapped up by the dozens. I know for a fact now that most of the views are just perception of people or are echoing someone else's thoughts. I certainly cannot speak for everyone but from my side, it is a H-U-G-E for TATA designs.

Last edited by Porschefire : 7th March 2019 at 14:46.
Porschefire is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 15:47   #467
Team-BHP Support

re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

I was rather disappointed that despite the blitz of model releases in Geneva, Tata did not even garner a mention in the foreign press. The cars looked world class. Some detail finish might be required.

Frankly, it was a waste of shareholders cash unless they have some plans of launching in Europe - highly unlikely as there is no room for another player.
ajmat is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 17:01   #468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrrb0 View Post
Beats me how you're upset over the fact that he didn't include a shark fin antenna on the rough concept sketch!
C'mon, but to me personally this is the heights of nitpicking!!

Haha no nitpicking at all. On the contrary, I've been a Tata fanboy since my early childhood (read Sierra, Estate and Safari days). I'm a designer myself (not automotive designer though) by profession. As far as I know, sketches are the only platform where designers can go all creative without much restrictions from real life material constraints or budget issues. And that's what caught my eyes, so it could either have been a deception planted by Tata itself (much like MCU does with its trailers) and was expressing my thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post
Official press renders for Tata Altroz
The front 3 quarters is the best view(can see hints of Hexa and Marazzo and Bolt in it), followed by side profile. Rear is totally a missed opportunity. I think the designers began with a new hatch styling A-la-Volvo V40 or the latest Skoda Scala and to differentiate extended those black elements to surround the tail lamps. And that's where it became an overkill. Just imagine it with a V40 style rear with sleek LED tail lights without those black hideous surrounds, and 'T A T A' badge on it.

Other things look fine except for two points. first, the interiors don't have that wow factor to compete with i20, look full of scratchy plastics all around. Maybe the version to be displayed at Geneva was made in hurry, but it looks like a notch down in quality from even Tiago interiors. Tata otherwise brought alcantara interiors with Tiago and Tigor Geneva editions. Secondly, the instrumentation console while being a hybrid type is a welcome addition and is definitely a segment first, but the analog part isn't much tastefully done in this one or the Harrier too.

Someone from Tata, please take a note and improvise the analog part on the facelifts. But please definitely do something about the rear. It has crossed the fine line from contemporary to overkill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire View Post

I think, I belong to that minority section who believe that Tata has the best looking PV portfolio in India as of now. Please note, I'm talking only with respect to the designs and not the cars overall. Every vehicle of theirs has a magnificent character which is getting better day by day! And this is saying a lot to a manufacturer who was stuck with the 'egg' shape for a long long time starting with the Indica, all the way to the very recent, Zest. Sure, the Indica design traits are still there with the Tiago and Nexon but then, they are thoroughly modern, likeable and refreshing designs! And, I'm 200% sure all of you will agree, Tiago, Tigor, JTPs, Nexon, Safari, Hexa, Harrier - none of these are bad looking cars whatsoever!

Before you label me as a TATA fanboy, let me tell you that neither have I owned a TATA car in my life nor have I got anything to do with the company itself. In fact, I've hated TATA cars for the longest time. Now though, I feel I'm converted.

It's a pity that every TATA car goes through immense scrutiny here and everywhere else while the other manufacturers who produce some really bad looking cars, are lapped up by the dozens. I know for a fact now that most of the views are just perception of people or are echoing someone else's thoughts. I certainly cannot speak for everyone but from my side, it is a H-U-G-E for TATA designs.

True. It is really hard to please everyone. The reason other manufacturers go conservative on design factor. Tata has always brought some interesting design elements like the sealed glasses of Sierra to the roof rails on the raised rear portion of the original Safari to now the H7X, to bringing an all new headlamp style on the Harrier and not making it ugly like the Juke or the previous Cherokee. I have been a fan, and it's not bad at all to be labelled a Tata fanboy. I have been one since my childhood despite have never owning one at all and my extended family facing a number of issues with their Indigo, vista, indigo CS and Manza repeatedly. I think Tata has improved in their offerings just as have evolved beautifully in their designs.

Last edited by PrasunBannerjee : 7th March 2019 at 17:17.
PrasunBannerjee is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 17:34   #469
BHPian

Despite not liking it initially, I've to say- This is surely going to grab a lot of attention on road.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-img_20190307_172411.jpg  

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-img_20190307_172434.jpg  

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-img_20190307_172450.jpg  

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-img_20190307_172508.jpg  

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-img_20190307_172551.jpg  

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-img_20190307_172613.jpg  

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-img_20190307_172630.jpg  

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-img_20190307_172647.jpg  

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-img_20190307_172704.jpg  

HarshGtR is online now   (25) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 17:41   #470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire View Post
I cannot tell you how much these lines of yours resonate with my own thinking. Feels like you plucked right it out of my head.
I too was someone who used to mock and make fun of TATAs and TATA owners. But here I am today, having test driven both the JTP twins, and came out thoroughly impressed.

Never thought I would say this until embarrassingly recently, but it looks like my next car will mostly be a TATA (the Tiago JTP). Even though technically it's a JTSV and not a TATA. But, I bet y'all catch my drift.

Old 7th March 2019, 18:25   #471
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I was rather disappointed that despite the blitz of model releases in Geneva, Tata did not even garner a mention in the foreign press. The cars looked world class. Some detail finish might be required.

Frankly, it was a waste of shareholders cash unless they have some plans of launching in Europe - highly unlikely as there is no room for another player.
Please don't talk about shareholders money, have burned my hands with TATA shares.

That said - Altroz did receive a good mention in Automobile Mag, though they couldn't resist taking a dig at the names of these cars.

Quote:
REVELATION: Tata makes some pretty cool cars

I always assumed that Indian automaker Tata built nothing but cheap cars with papier-mâché bodies and two-stroke pollution-pump engines for the home market, but its stand at Geneva proved me wrong. Alongside its new mini-SUV concept, the H2X, Tata showed the new Altroz, an attractive subcompact hatch with angular styling and a surprisingly plush interior. Tata also showed a new seven-seat SUV called the Buzzard, which I would buy just for the name. (Turns out it also has cars called the Zest, Sumo Gold, and Safari Storme—yes, Storme with an ‘e,’ because Tata, *******!) I’m pretty sure we’re about a billion years away from Tata coming to the U.S., but if it does, sign me up for an Altroz. Oh, and a Buzzard, just so I can say “Lunch? Sure. Let’s take the Buzzard!”
https://www.automobilemag.com/news/2...es-best-worst/

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 7th March 2019 at 18:29.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 20:21   #472
BHPian

Came across this video for both the Tata Buzzard and Altroz, so sharing here.

sachinayak is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 20:46   #473
BHPian

Zigwheels says the Altroz will come with a diesel option. No confirmation about the powerful delivery though. One more interesting thing is the 102ps petrol engine will be NA, not turbo.
https://www.zigwheels.com/news-featu...n-india/33203/
Old 7th March 2019, 20:50   #474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Hormazd isn't a tall guy - but seems to be having only just about enough space in that rear seat - headroom especially!

Yes, even he mentioned that. I think Altroz is Tata's shortest hatch. At ~1500MM it's shorter than the Tiago.
Old 7th March 2019, 20:51   #475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
Hormazd Sorabjee from Autocar India confirms that the Altroz will get the 1.5L Diesel, along with the 1.2LNA and 1.2L Turbo Petrol. He generally gets it right when it comes to inside information.
The car doesn't look too bad in that video, not a bad looker at all. So that should take care of the looks department. The interior space may not look like class leading based on what Hormadz says, but the seat squabs should be better than Baleno for under thigh support. Top that with good engines, this should sell in good numbers as a competitor to Baleno and i20.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 7th March 2019 at 21:14. Reason: Removed Youtube URL from quoted post for readability. Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 21:16   #476
Team-BHP Support

Where it all began - Pratap Bose's sketch of the Altroz

CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 21:52   #477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarshGtR View Post
Despite not liking it initially, I've to say- This is surely going to grab a lot of attention on road.
If the version looks ditto like that then, oh boy, are we in for a treat. I'm sorry, but contrary to most people here, I think it looks very unique and also very beautiful. The golden colour is not exactly my type. A bright red colour with that blacked out roof and the 17 inch alloys will look a killer on the road.

Yes, definitely going to agree with you, it's going to grab a lot of attention on the road and in a good way. Easily will be the best looking car in the segment, in my opinion ofcourse ( please nobody take offence, did not mean any such thing ). But sadly the only way one of those will find the way to my home is if it had a diesel. And recent news about the diesel haven't been exactly promising.

C'mon Tata, just plonk the 1.5L turbo Rocket from the Nexon into the Altroz. It weighs lesser than 1000 kilos so the 260 nm of torque will be a scorcher.

Last edited by SaiSW : 7th March 2019 at 22:01. Reason: Added some particular detail.
Old 7th March 2019, 23:41   #478
BHPian

I have a feeling that a lot of negative views about the design are going to change after people see this car in-person. From the video, seems like it would have a good road presence and although not very clean, I think the design has a European feel to it. I wish they offer some good colors on this when launched in India. Really, TATA has come a long way!
Chugh_H is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th March 2019, 09:07   #479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Story still stands. Altroz likely to get DCT after April 2020
That's Hormazd Sorabjee from Autocar India.

src - https://twitter.com/hormazdsorabjee/...56749323030528
safari_lover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2019, 11:59   #480
Team-BHP Support

Keeping everything else same, just a change from gloss black to matte black finish for the rear plastic (So as to give an identity to the tail lamps), makes a world of difference to the design, IMHO -

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-comparo2.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (9) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks