Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2019, 17:09   #721
BHPian

re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Has 5 gears and not 6 on a top trim interestingly. I was expecting Nexon specs.
Oh no! that means its the dreadful TA65 gear box!
Turrrb0 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2019, 17:18   #722
BHPian

re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Today on my way back to Mumbai from Kolhapur was behind a Tata Altroz for about 20-30 mins. Did not click pictures as most of them are already revealed here.
This car can hold 3 digit speeds with ease, I was constantly behind him keeping safe distance. I dunno was it a petrol version or diesel but the driver was just abit ahead of me trying to get away, it could keep pace with the 90hp Multijet I was in. He tired to let me go once but I slowed down too and was behind him
We both averaged around 120-110 kph during this period. He might have touched higher speeds too in between.
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th September 2019, 17:21   #723
Vmv
BHPian

The horn switch placement is the outer covering of steering control switches.
Which is a nice touch instead of the steering center portion IMO.

And I can not find the horn symbol on the steering center !!
Attached Thumbnails
Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-alt1.jpg  

Last edited by Vmv : 14th September 2019 at 17:22. Reason: Screenshot attached
Vmv is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 14th September 2019, 18:00   #724
Senior - BHPian

The horn has moved to the left, and is now a button. See further left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmv View Post
Sebring is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2019, 18:42   #725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmv View Post
The horn switch placement is the outer covering of steering control switches.
Which is a nice touch instead of the steering center portion IMO.

Hmm... I feel this a good move. It puts less strain on the thumbs.
Also, there is no customary “AIRBAG” marking on the steering pad.
Good to see that is marked though (quoting Logan owners here )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Sooraj View Post
It is the driving mode selector button. It is denoted by a leaf symbol.

Source: Motoroctane
It’s not really an ideal placement IMHO, but better than the positioning of the Zest’s driving modes, near the AC controls. The Nexon’s switch would have been good here. Still, I’m not complaining as this is a first in class feature for its segment.

Also, in this image, the area around the gearbox does not look well fitted. Look closely near the top right corner of the image. There is a gap between the plastics. Looks cheap IMO.

From the images, we can see that Tata has equipped the Altroz with auto-headlamps, auto-wipers and ambient lighting. Good move Tata.
What’s not is that they have continued with the Harrier-type handbrake! Hope they fix its operation.

Last edited by artemis_fowl : 14th September 2019 at 18:59.
artemis_fowl is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th September 2019, 18:48   #726
Senior - BHPian

I'm not liking the dimple on the steering wheel at all. It's a total put off for the driver, and had even given feedback on Harrier (it is similar) regarding this. But do they listen!
Old 14th September 2019, 19:00   #727
Distinguished - BHPian

Love the steering wheel. Moving to the leaner three spoke models like the newer BMW wheels.

Also glad about the horn button placement. Best suited for our indian traffic conditions, (before anyone says noise pollution, am the one who doesn't horn after dusk;flashing lights suffice)

But the instrument cluster is just so weird. For all their newfound exterior, interior designing prowess, Tata seems to have gone quirky for their instrument clusters.
DicKy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2019, 19:20   #728
BHPian

I feel like the cheap looking speedometer is inspired by the IKEA Pugg Clock. They got most of the design right and had to do this design abomination.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-puggwallclock__0633562_pe695914_s4.jpeg  

Old 14th September 2019, 22:21   #729
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simeonovitch View Post
That speedo looks bad. Coal black background + white lettering gives me a 90s vibe.
Reminds me of this :

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-4a-instru-panel.jpg
Leoshashi is offline   (48) Thanks
Old 14th September 2019, 23:52   #730
Distinguished - BHPian

The speedometer should have been digital & the tachometer analog.
karan561 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 15th September 2019, 03:37   #731
Senior - BHPian

I think the Harrier's lower trims have a nicer instrument cluster than the top trim. Hopefully, this ends up being the case with the Altroz too. Don't mess with the classics Tata.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th September 2019, 10:27   #732
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveoman19 View Post
I feel like the cheap looking speedometer is inspired by the IKEA Pugg Clock.
I would say the circular clock at least looks timeless. The Altros' speedometer reminds me of the alarm clocks I grew (woke) up with during the good old days.
Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-194014121.png

Imagine staring at it throughout the time behind the wheel!
GeeTee TSI is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 15th September 2019, 11:06   #733
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
The speedo was the first aspect of the Altroz to leak out, earlier in the year

Attachment 1915076

Original Link: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4520538

Thanks for sharing, the speedometer looks quite similar to the one in the Harrier. I am curious about what are the effects of having similar design elements on the Harrier and the Altroz.
Old 16th September 2019, 10:42   #734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arungeorge View Post
Forward received.

Attachment 1914718
Looks like the dashboard and door were designed as two different projects and integrated at the nth hour . There is no such thing as flowing from dashboard to doors, Also, look at the height of dashboard vs the window line.

Dear Tata, please have a look at Hyundai's dashboard and doors and how they meet to look like made for each other. For example i20, Creta, etc.
vijayshouree is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2019, 11:22   #735
Senior - BHPian

Saw the test mule pretty closely in heavy Pune traffic, the car is smaller than Baleno and also sits a little lower.
I honestly think Tata should use this slowdown at their advantage and launch the car after ironing out all niggles. The buyer sentiment is anyway pretty low right now so it makes sense to launch it next year with BS-6 engines.
NiInJa is offline   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed