Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2019, 14:24   #766
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

OMG!! I'm just wondering how much better it would have looked before the bean counters stepped in. The door has a black section painted to appear as though there is more glass area meeting the waistline. Will get a better idea once we see the real vehicle.

I hope it gets JTP engine
Old 13th October 2019, 06:12   #767
BHPian

re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Tata should launch with Auto box right from the start even with an AMT. I mean if they are ok launching a Nexon with AMT, I don't know why this can't be launched with one. Also knowing Tata pricing, they will undercut their competitors , hence an AMT auto at a price much lower than Baleno or I20, in the there abouts of i10, or lower will be brilliant.
charanreddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2019, 07:23   #768
BHPian

Looks Fabulous indeed. Waiting to see it in flesh. This would give a direct tough to Baleno and i20.
I feel like, Altroz has some DNA from Honda Jazz in looks prospective.
Old 13th October 2019, 08:13   #769
Senior - BHPian

Car looks fresh! Is this above the Tiago or below? I get the feeling that this will occupy the current Tiago spot, with an improved Tiago coming later to move up the chain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Completely OT, but please read up relevant threads on team-bhp, if you regularly change your car in 3-4 years.
Old 13th October 2019, 08:35   #770
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Car looks fresh! Is this above the Tiago or below? I get the feeling that this will occupy the current Tiago spot, with an improved Tiago coming later to move up the chain.
It's above the Tiago. Competes with the Baleno and i20.
discoverwild is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2019, 08:37   #771
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I get the feeling that this will occupy the current Tiago spot, with an improved Tiago coming later to move up the chain.
The word "premium" in the thread title indicates that the Altroz is expected to compete with the likes of the Maruti Baleno, Honda Jazz, Hyundai Elite i20, Volkswagen Polo etc. The Tiago on the other hand, competes with the Maruti Swift, Hyundai Grand i10 etc.

Last edited by boniver : 13th October 2019 at 08:41.
boniver is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th October 2019, 08:54   #772
Senior - BHPian

Jazz/Polo is, more or less, dead. Baleno USP is the wide rear bench and sporty/unique shape and stance. Can Altroz compete with it (I'm not sure)? i20 should be the main competition to Altroz, is my guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
The word "premium" in the thread title indicates that the Altroz is expected to compete with the likes of the Maruti Baleno, Honda Jazz, Hyundai Elite i20, Volkswagen Polo etc. The Tiago on the other hand, competes with the Maruti Swift, Hyundai Grand i10 etc.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2019, 09:08   #773
BHPian

As per auto car india, altroz is not as spacious as baleno. So it probably has to compete with Swift
Old 13th October 2019, 09:51   #774
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICHE View Post
As per auto car india, altroz is not as spacious as baleno. So it probably has to compete with Swift
I don't get you. i20 is not as spacious as the baleno, but it doesn't compete with the Swift, does it? Same is the case with Polo. Baleno is not nearly as spacious as the Jazz but they're still the same segment.

Swift is the last thing that comes in my mind when I think of spacious.
SaiSW is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th October 2019, 10:33   #775
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
I don't get you. i20 is not as spacious as the baleno, but it doesn't compete with the Swift, does it? Same is the case with Polo. Baleno is not nearly as spacious as the Jazz but they're still the same segment.

Swift is the last thing that comes in my mind when I think of spacious.
I am not saying that altroz will be equal to or lesser than swift. Baleno is the segment leader with a maruti name. Also it has the advantage of brilliant K12 engine and a spacious cabin. So it will continue to sell regardless of any of its shortcomings. Most of indian customers will select baleno over altroz as a safer choice. Most probably altroz will be in the same price range as swift. So the customers who has slightly lesser budget than baleno and not really bothered about tata name may compare swift and altroz and go ahead with the latter
Old 13th October 2019, 13:24   #776
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICHE View Post
I am not saying that altroz will be equal to or lesser than swift. Baleno is the segment leader with a maruti name. Also it has the advantage of brilliant K12 engine and a spacious cabin. So it will continue to sell regardless of any of its shortcomings. Most of indian customers will select baleno over altroz as a safer choice. Most probably altroz will be in the same price range as swift. So the customers who has slightly lesser budget than baleno and not really bothered about tata name may compare swift and altroz and go ahead with the latter
I wasn't referring to the engine options or anything else, ofcourse, the baleno petrol is smooth and free revving, and is one sweet motor, just was confused by your reply initially because I forgot the swift is also a B2 segment car as per team bhp monthly sales charts.

This will launch with a diesel, so I am pretty sure the price range will be along the lines of other premium hatchbacks, maybe not as expensive as the Polo, but with all the features on offer + a diesel, it'll touch about 9.5 on road for the fully loaded diesel, most probably. Besides, I'm pretty sure it'll have way more features than the baleno + the safety and stability offered by Tata cars.

Also, I sincerely do hope Indian customers start thinking about "kitna safe he" more, than "kitna deti he", then we'll see a lot of changes in the sales performances of some very popular models.

Last edited by SaiSW : 13th October 2019 at 13:27.
SaiSW is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2019, 22:07   #777
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by purohitanuj View Post
This actually looks like inspired from “Shark”.
Do check up pics of the 1999 Mitsubishi Galant.

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-galant1999sl400.jpg

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-mitsubishigalant1999.jpg

(Images taken off the web - found via general search)
condor is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 17:46   #778
BHPian

That is one genuinely good looking car! I really hope that Tata doesn't butcher the launch with an incomplete product and lack of engine/gearbox options like they did on the Harrier.

That's probably the reason why they pushed back the launch!
Old 14th October 2019, 19:01   #779
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
OMG!! I'm just wondering how much better it would have looked before the bean counters stepped in. The door has a black section painted to appear as though there is more glass area meeting the waistline. Will get a better idea once we see the real vehicle.
What cost cutting are you talking about? I think it would cost more with the piano black insert, respective mountings, and other related parts (+ assembling cost) than plain metal.
Latheesh is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th October 2019, 20:39   #780
BANNED

Production-spec Tata Altroz to be unveiled in 1st week of December 2019.
  • Was all set for launch in August but was later postponed to introduce the car with BS-VI engine from day-1.
  • To feature a freestanding 7-inch touchscreen.
  • Might feature Google powered/supported voice commands.
  • Gets ambient lighting feature.
  • To get segment first part-digital instrument cluster.
  • To be the shortest wheelbase of the segment, while boot-space will be 341-liter.
  • To feature three engine options, two petrols and one diesel. One of the petrol is NA and other is a turbocharged 1.2 liter engine, while the diesel is 1.5 liter turbocharged engine.
  • Expected to be priced in the range of Rs 5-8 lakh ex-showroom, which will make it the most affordable car of the segment.
Source: ACI

Last edited by wheelguy : 24th October 2019 at 20:45.
wheelguy is offline   (15) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks