Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2019, 21:13   #781
BHPian

re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
Production-spec Tata Altroz to be unveiled in 1st week of December 2019.
  • To be the shortest wheelbase of the segment,
Source: ACI

just for my understanding will this means less leg room. Tata cars were always know space, I am not sure if this is going to be compromised.

I hope the 1.2 Turbo charged Petrol engine is picked up from JTP twin or am I wishing too much.

The article also mentions "with an automatic option set to be introduced later." this is something TML doesnt understand yet. IMO it should be available from day one.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 25th October 2019 at 01:49. Reason: spacing
arvindmanju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 13:33   #782
BHPian

re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

I hope they have taken their time to launch a full baked product and provide proper TD, deliveries and fix niggles quickly. Else it will see the same fate like the Hexa, Harrier.
Tata cars are more exciting prior to launch these days
Old 25th October 2019, 14:10   #783
Distinguished - BHPian

Honestly speaking - I somehow have a feeling that this car is coming too late to make an impact. Baleno-i20-Jazz have already established themselves. A Tata car no matter how good, will be either lost in this trio's crowd OR people will pick a compact SUV over it. Already customer preference is shifting to Compact SUVs from P-Hatches.

Then - it has a 3 cylinder motor. Powerful agreed but nowhere as smooth as those in the segment. The NVH cannot be just ignored or damped. Its audible. If it wants to launch it, Tata better have very modest sales targets for it & continue it long term.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindmanju View Post
I hope the 1.2 Turbo charged Petrol engine is picked up from JTP twin or am I wishing too much.
Picked from the Nexon (that's where the JTPs got it from anyway). It will be the Nexon avatar though. Altroz won't get the throaty exhaust and frequent blow-off valve firing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindmanju View Post
The article also mentions "with an automatic option set to be introduced later." this is something TML doesnt understand yet. IMO it should be available from day one.
So true. And then - it has to be a good CVT. The segment in which this car is going to fall is loaded with CVTs and they are selling in good numbers as automatics. Not having an auto variant will be suicide. If Tata wants to launch this car, it has to be with automatic from day 1. Not having an auto transmission creates enough negative PR to really kill the product. Tata knows it first hand (Harrier!!). I hope they don't go for a DCT. Better start with CVT for now & take care of reliability & smoothness. Things that this segment surely wants.

Last edited by Reinhard : 25th October 2019 at 14:12.
Reinhard is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 14:51   #784
BHPian

Not sure who does products sign-off for Tata Motors!

Shortest wheelbase and resulting cramped leg space(as mentioned by ACI) is blasphemy. Unless it is an European Hatchback with great build quality, ride and handling, people do not take it kindly to shortage of rear seat leg space. Add to that, the 3 cylinder engine options for Petrol(when Petrol cars are back in demand), and instantly I can think of this car settling around 1k units a year after its launch and eventually dying out in another couple of years.

Doesn't Tata Motors have people who are passionate about automobiles and knowledgeable as well?
CliffHanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 14:59   #785
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Not sure who does products sign-off for Tata Motors!

Shortest wheelbase and resulting cramped leg space(as mentioned by ACI) is blasphemy.
ACI isn't the bible really. The Nexon also has the shortest wheelbase in it's segment. Yet - it is quite good on leg-room & boot space both. So let's wait to see the car in flesh or in a TBHP review. We'll know then. I think Tata is trying a clever game here. Short wheel base = excellent handling and corner carving characteristics.

Its their throw of the dice. For sure just as a spacious hatch, there is no USP. Baleno, Jazz, i20 all already have it. Polo has a gem of an engine too with DSG. What can be done to make Altroz at least have a chance? Give it sporty handling characteristics to throw around. The SWB helps in it. (Still, I will stick with my post above that I don't think the car will gain a lot of traction in sales!)
Reinhard is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 15:18   #786
Senior - BHPian

Looks like this is going to be another flop from Tata motors. No one talk about Altroz including them. They made some noise about their website launch and provided zero information in it. It looks like a good product, but no automatic is a drawback.
Latheesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 15:40   #787
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
I will stick with my post above that I don't think the car will gain a lot of traction in sales
I too agree with you. Its just my thoughts, TML might have also learnt about it. Having 3pot petrol in a premium car us not a good option, or probably offer 3pot petrol in low variant and get better engine for higher variant.

I some how feel they are going to concentrate mainly on the Altroz EV. They will have 3pot petrol and diesel just for presence in these respective category.

If they conduct a media drive in Dec, they better get Altroz on sales in Jan before the media hype dies down.

Last edited by arvindmanju : 25th October 2019 at 16:05.
arvindmanju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2019, 00:19   #788
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
Tata Altroz Spotted on Test by Power Drift

Attachment 1921422

Attachment 1921421

Attachment 1921423
Better Tata develop its own 5/6 Speed AT.
TML is developing in-house a dual clutch gearbox for their vehicles. Hopefully it should see the light of day in the ALTROZ in the latter half of next year.
arjab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2019, 00:30   #789
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Looks like this is going to be another flop from Tata motors. No one talk about Altroz including them. They made some noise about their website launch and provided zero information in it. It looks like a good product, but no automatic is a drawback.
They are waiting for customer interest to die down a bit more

On a serious note, hopefully they are sorting out all the possible niggles and launch a safe and trouble free car. In the long run this is better, unlike Harrier which can never find good sales numbers every again like Aria.
Old 26th October 2019, 10:07   #790
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
TML is developing in-house a dual clutch gearbox for their vehicles. Hopefully it should see the light of day in the ALTROZ in the latter half of next year.
Is this confirmed or reiteration of media reports?
aditya79india is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th October 2019, 10:07   #791
BANNED

Tata Altroz, Harrier automatic, and Buzzard with BS-VI engines spotted again.

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-tataharrieraltrozbuzzardtogether.jpg
Image Source: Rushlane
Quote:
Just like its elder sibling Nexon, Altroz too will be aiming to score a perfect 5 in crash testes. ABS, EBD, dual front airbags and a reversing parking camera are expected to be a part of the standard safety kit, which will be offered from the base variant.
Source: Rushlane
wheelguy is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 14th November 2019, 07:15   #792
Distinguished - BHPian

The public has lost interest even as the camouflaged ALTROZ reaches its last lap pf testing.

To be unveiled in December but launching in 2020. Why separate events for this ?

Quote:
At launch, the hatchback is expected to be available with an 85hp, 1.2-litre, naturally aspirated petrol engine from the Tiago and a detuned version of the Nexon’s 1.2-litre turbo-petrol motor calibrated to put out 102hp (it produces 110hp in the compact SUV). There is also the possibility of Tata introducing a 90hp iteration of the Nexon’s 1.5-litre diesel engine, which makes 110hp in the larger model. While a 5-speed manual gearbox will be standard at the time of launch, an automatic option could be introduced at a later date

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-1_578_872_0_70_http___cdni.autocarindia.com_extraimages_20191112114552_tataaltrozfrontspied.jpg

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-1_578_872_0_70_http___cdni.autocarindia.com_extraimages_20191112114552_tataaltrozrearspied.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 14th November 2019 at 07:16.
volkman10 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th November 2019, 08:49   #793
Senior - BHPian

They should simply now do the launch. The car has been spotted so.many times with and without camouflage and has been in news for so long that i agree, junta has lost interest. The only area not fully experienced is the interior but even that has been spotted in hazy pics and discussed to death.
Doing an unveil but not launching it is a risk TML is taking - what if the negatives outweigh any positive surpises? This kinda delay has cost them much with Harrier already and MG, Kia stole their thunder!
Nilesh5417 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2019, 10:11   #794

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
They should simply now do the launch. The car has been spotted so.many times with and without camouflage and has been in news for so long that i agree, junta has lost interest. The only area not fully experienced is the interior but even that has been spotted in hazy pics and discussed to death.
Doing an unveil but not launching it is a risk TML is taking - what if the negatives outweigh any positive surpises? This kinda delay has cost them much with Harrier already and MG, Kia stole their thunder!
Considering their last product initial glitches, May be few more type test cases added to provide premium experience to customers. So that initial customers dont feel scapegoat and the product gets sustainable flying start.
Old 14th November 2019, 10:12   #795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
A majority of the population will not even know that a car like Altroz is being launched by Tata, let alone follow test mules. To say that junta has lost interest is not correct. We will only know the response when it is launched. It is only we T-BHPians that follow car launches to the Tee. Rest of the Junta will decide once the car is launched.
NFS2024 is offline   (12) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed