Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2019, 10:12   #796
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Looks quite neat in the production ready avatar.

However - they have taken SO LONG to finally launch it (and its not launched yet either) - that the car is practically OLD already at launch.

They'll need to launch a mid-life face-lift in 1 month.
Reinhard is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th November 2019, 10:33   #797
BHPian

re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
Rest of the Junta will decide once the car is launched.
When all the manufactures are reducing or stopping production of BS4 it's a good decision to launch Altroz in BS6 guise. More importantly this will come with a BS6 diesel when Baleno it's competitor would have no diesel in it's portfolio. It will surely find it's niche and TATA should be able to undercut Hyundai I20 diesel in price, it's only diesel competitor.

Last edited by damodar : 14th November 2019 at 10:40.
damodar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2019, 12:53   #798
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Is it me that finds the camouflaged logo at the front in this picture looks slightly different, I don't see an oval ring instead there seems to be flattened top with a bolder T, or again is it just my imagination

My bad, zooming in further clarifies my doubt, it's a regular logo

Last edited by SpideyBoy : 14th November 2019 at 12:55. Reason: Added info
Old 14th November 2019, 12:57   #799
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
It will surely find it's niche and TATA should be able to undercut Hyundai I20 diesel in price, it's only diesel competitor.
Along with the always forgotten Jazz i-DTEC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyBoy View Post
Is it me that finds the camouflaged logo at the front in this picture looks slightly different, I don't see an oval ring instead there seems to be flattened top with a bolder T, or again is it just my imagination
My bad, zooming in further clarifies my doubt, it's a regular logo
Good catch spidey! Even after zooming, it does look a bit different. But I don't think really there will be a different one. The current 3D logo is hardly a couple of years old.
Old 14th November 2019, 14:44   #800
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai will let Tata play their cards with the Altroz, and baam!, will launch the next gen i-20.
avishar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th November 2019, 16:34   #801
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Hyundai will let Tata play their cards with the Altroz, and baam!, will launch the next gen i-20.
Hyundai's i20 is anticipated to come with connectivity, sunroof and also a 6 airbags variant. Tata has got the design right with Altroz, looking fresh. But interiors from the spied images are a bit let down. Interior looks like a re designed Nexon with a few bits here and there. I don't think they are ready with connectivity technology, heck they aren't even readily giving the sunroof /panoramic sunroof from the factory which the current need of the hour. IMO, not heeding to customers demands is what let Harrier down in sales. I sincerely hope that doesn't repeat with Altroz
SpideyBoy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th November 2019, 01:21   #802
Distinguished - BHPian

Whats an 85 bhp engine doing in this car, unless its lighter than Tiago. TATA somehow always wants to keep a trump card to shoot their own foot!!
swiftnfurious is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 15th November 2019, 19:34   #803
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Whats an 85 bhp engine doing in this car, unless its lighter than Tiago. TATA somehow always wants to keep a trump card to shoot their own foot!!
Bragging rights, maybe? In recent memory, Venue came up with a 1.2L 4-cyl NA Petrol (yields a measly 82 bhp) and Seltos with a 1.5L NA Petrol. The former helped Hyundai keep a sub-7L starting price and the latter helped Kia keep a sub-10L starting price - purely psychological cards to entice customers. So, I guess Tata is keen to play that card again. But yes, if the power-to-weight ratio is anything to go by, this one might not be a 'performer' per se (assuming a strongly built and heacy car, given it's a Tata)

Last edited by mroutlander : 15th November 2019 at 19:35. Reason: Minor correction
mroutlander is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2019, 20:25   #804
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Hold your trigger mate. 85 bhp may sound less but remember the Altroz is expected to have a starting kerbweight of 965 kg which is incidentally less than the Tiago. So this should give it a power to weight ratio of around 90 bhp/tonne which is not bad at all. FYI the Baleno has a kerb weight of around 875 kg for the 83 bhp engine and we all know that it ain't a slouch by any means.

Also the Altroz is expected to get a 1.2 turbo petrol too which should have more than 100 bhp. So we need not worry too much about Tata's foot . Just wait and watch. The launch ain't that far away.
ram87pune is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th November 2019, 21:49   #805
Vmv
BHPian

Altorz DRL in action
Source : FB respective Owner
Attached Thumbnails
Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-fb_img_1573920913229.jpg  

Vmv is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 16th November 2019, 22:41   #806
Senior - BHPian

Weighs less than Tiago??
I am sure many would prefer a lousy engine over compromised build quality. In today's traffic scenario, performance is barely a requirement for many and Tata have got the rest covered with the JTP's.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2019, 23:56   #807
Senior - BHPian

I sincerely hope Altroz is a well sorted car with undulance restricted to bare-minimum as against the experience our admins had with Harirer during / after launch.

Altroz is absolutely a looker like Harrier. I only hope Tata does complete homework before launching this car because we have next gen i20 incoming next year from Hyundai who’s known for features & quality. Else, what Harrier suffered, Altroz could face the same heat or comments from critics / customers.

Tata is certainly in the right direction - all they need is a little nourishment in the route they’ve taken.
gururajrv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2019, 10:00   #808
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
Weighs less than Tiago??
I am sure many would prefer a lousy engine over compromised build quality. In today's traffic scenario, performance is barely a requirement for many and Tata have got the rest covered with the JTP's.
Weight has nothing to do with safety. Modern NCAP requirements mandates the bonnet and other impact areas to be crumpled even on pedestrian impact. That requirement do not go hand in hand with a heavy car. A heavy car is also less environment friendly because mileage will be less for the same power output. So as much as we hate it, manufacturers do not have choice but to go with Suzuki and Toyota style light weight cars.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 17th November 2019 at 10:02.
padmrajravi is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 17th November 2019, 12:45   #809
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
It's just the opposite for me. The basics of the car such as engine (which then gives pickup, mileage and has life in it) and gearbox (which gives a smooth driving experience) has to be correct. Next is a good A/C. Rest all may be add ons in the current traffic experiencing in the cities nowadays.

For the highway drive, both the basics as well as the safety components have to be correct. If not, then drive the car on highways based on its capabilities. But even then, the belief such as "a heavier body is more safer" is wrong.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 17th November 2019 at 13:07.
romeomidhun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2019, 14:47   #810
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
But even then, the belief such as "a heavier body is more safer" is wrong.
Yes, this topic is beaten to death. But with the Nexon setting safety benchmark and numerous incidents of people walking away with minimal injuries in Tiago/Tigor related accidents, I just hope Tata doesn't cut corners to achieve performance. Clearly, their forte is strong build and ride quality, and both indirectly lead to a heavy weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
...So as much as we hate it, manufacturers do not have choice but to go with Suzuki and Toyota style light weight cars.
I wonder if the same applies to heavier commercial vehicles. It is definitely not a pleasant sign when an iron clad heavy vehicle kisses a car or any other object.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks