Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2019, 16:11   #1081
BHPian

The car looks great,but I believe the bumpy harrier launch would
Play on everyone's mind regarding this too. Good product, looks and engine options dented by poor after sales, product niggles throughout & gruff nature of engine. While Tata has moved far ahead in terms of design and is now thoroughly contemporary, their quality control and fit /finish still leaves a lot to be desired.
Old 5th December 2019, 16:21   #1082
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

The car sure looks more premium than the Baleno on the inside. I was not very sure if I liked the blackened section below window line, but I guess it has grown on me. The driver is going to have that 'feel good' factor when behind the wheel.

The dashboard has so many layers, reminds me of a Parantha
NiInJa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2019, 16:45   #1083
BHPian

re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

As per Autocar India:

In all likelihood, Tata Motors will use a Punch-sourced 7-speed DT-1 dual-clutch transmission. The DT-1 has been designed for compact cars (with torque of up to 200Nm) and is relatively more affordable than typical dual-clutch or torque converter systems.

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...-altroz-415147

https://www.punchpowertrain.com/en/products/3/dt1

Last edited by pradkumar : 5th December 2019 at 16:58. Reason: Clarity
pradkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2019, 16:56   #1084
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
Freestyle / Figo Diesel with 200NM of torque is a hoot to drive ! 260NM is a bit too much for a hatchback may be ? Considering the weight and high City/ Traffic usage
And these cars will not be there with the Diesel engine. I had to cancel my booking for Freestyle TDCI Titanium + as none of the dealers have any stocks ( very limited inventory available for the Figo as well and that too in the lower variants). I will probably pick up the Altroz.
rajneeesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th December 2019, 17:02   #1085
BHPian

For all the people complaining about the torque figure - just go and check the torque figures of the Toyota Innova D4D (the previous version) - the 2.5 produced almost the exact torque figure at almost the exact range - and that's for a 6/7/8 seater!
The petrol figures are also par for the course and will probably be tuned for efficiency, while also providing a decent low and mid-range. It also leaves space for a hybrid version or a TC (Sports) version and then JTP.
torquecurve is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 5th December 2019, 18:12   #1086
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilthegunner View Post
I'm sorry but how is that disappointing? The Baleno and i20 offer similar performance in their petrol engines. I don't see anyone having issues with that. If TML does the same thing, the engine is disappointing? I'd agree if you said something about refinement since it's 3 cylinder v 4 cylinder but otherwise?

If they did put that much power in, then TML would have to charge something close to Polo GT money, which they cannot do.
I find it disappointing because Tata Tiago JTP which is smaller than Altroz, has 114 bhp and 150 nm torque. And I expect the Altroz to cost atleast as much as the Tiago JTP if not more.
Old 5th December 2019, 18:38   #1087
BHPian

As said earlier, peak torque in Altroz diesel is developed @ a mere 1250 RPM, that is a whole lot earlier than competition -

Baleno 190 @ 2000 rpm
i20 - 220 @ 1750 rpm
Jazz - 200 @ 1750 rpm

More importantly it extends till 3000 rpm - wider band than competition @ 2750 rpm

Altroz diesel will be lag free and lend excellent city driveability.

Even in petrol the peak torque of 113 NM is developed @ 3300 rpm which is a lot earlier than competition

Baleno 115 @ 4000 rpm
i20 - 115 @ 4000 rpm
Jazz - 110 @ 4800 rpm

Where is the AT, TATA? Not Again

There is no diesel AT hatchback apart from Swift which will be discontinued post BS6, an opportunity gone begging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaheenazk View Post
I find it disappointing because Tata Tiago JTP which is smaller than Altroz, has 114 bhp and 150 nm torque. And I expect the Altroz to cost atleast as much as the Tiago JTP if not more.
Altroz will get its own JTP variant that'll get the same specs. TATA now has an opportunity to launch a JTP diesel variant with the 1.5 Revotorq in Nexon Spec

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 5th December 2019 at 18:43.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 5th December 2019, 20:01   #1088
Distinguished - BHPian

Wishes do come true - a more powerful Altroz petrol with 102PS & 141Nm output is on the cards.

Most likely to be launched by festive season 2020.

Quote:
A turbocharged petrol motor is under development for the Altroz, and will make its way into production soon.
The aforementioned model will be powered by a 1.2-litre three-cylinder, turbocharged (VGT), BS6 petrol engine that will put out a maximum of 100bhp (102PS) and a peak torque of 140Nm (83Kw). This motor will be available with two transmissions - a five-speed manual and a seven-speed DCT. Unlike the dry-clutch DCT's in the Hyundai Venue and Kia Seltos, the dual-clutch automatic gearbox in the Altroz will be a wet-clutch unit. So, it is unlikely to face heating issue.
Our sources claim that the performance-oriented Altroz will enter into production soon, and a market launch can be expected around the festive period (August to October 2020). The hot hatch will feature a more sophisticated suspension setup, which should augment its handling prowess.
We can also expect the hot hatchback to feature certain cosmetic changes to complement its sporty demeanour. As far as pricing is concerned, the turbocharged Tata Altroz is expected to carry a premium of around Rs 30,000 over the regular version.
Carwale
RavenAvi is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 5th December 2019, 20:07   #1089
BHPian

With Tata, we all expect a lot, don't we? We expect them to provide a 150bhp engine and sell it at price of Wagon R.

How is it possible?

Tata is giving us a lot safer cars. Making safe cars along with exciting engines will make cars costlier to build.
Atleast we should be assured of the fact that Tata's priorities are set in the right direction.

We all are suggesting that they should have plonked Nexon's engine in Altroz. Tata is in the game of auto business since long, they too would have evaluated that option. If Tata would have went ahead with that option, then Altroz would become much costlier than Baleno and could have entered dangerously into B-segment sedan or CSUV territory. It would have received the same fate as that of 1.6 S-Cross.

Seriously hoping that Altroz becomes a success. It is a good looking car and would still look beautiful 10 years down the line. They can try with various engine options later on once the car gains good enough acceptance.

Last edited by DrCar : 5th December 2019 at 20:10. Reason: Typo
DrCar is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 5th December 2019, 20:33   #1090
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
I know it has been beaten to death, but I just could stop myself from commenting that:

1. The beautiful lines and gorgeous exteriors, do not deserve that mediocre NA 3 Cylinder. How did the Turbo go missing?

2. The 1.5 Turbo Diesel appears to have been severely de-tuned, as compared to Nexon.
What was need for such a massive reduction of power & torque (20PS & 60NM!)
That 260NM of torque would have made this car a hoot to drive!
But, of course, how can we forget, TAMO has done a thesis on shooting their own foot.
Just out of curiosity, would replacing the ECU of the Altroz with that of Nexon be a simple plug and play affair? After all, the basic architecture of the engine is same and as long as it is not the automatic with its own set of logarithms, I don't see any problems with it. I think I am dreaming a bit unrealistically but technically it doea seem feasible.
aveoman19 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2019, 20:36   #1091
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Wishes do come true - a more powerful Altroz petrol with 102PS & 141Nm output is on the cards.

Most likely to be launched by festive season 2020.

Carwale
I hope its atleast as powerful as the Tiago JTP and no less. Even if its 30000 bucks more than the regular Altroz, its VFM because Tiago JTP costs a lac more than the regular model.

Another thought, I hope Altroz JTP is offered in a dark shade of blue besides red and white, e.g. Navy blue. It will look fabulous.
Old 5th December 2019, 20:36   #1092
Senior - BHPian

Those much vaunted 90 degree opening rear doors I agree are unique but wonder if they really aid ingress and egress that much.

For one, getting the chance to open any door to upto 90 degree is quite slim and it is the aperture between the B pillar and the wheel arch which really determines the ease of ingress and egress IMHO.
Old 5th December 2019, 20:43   #1093
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveoman19 View Post
Just out of curiosity, would replacing the ECU of the Altroz with that of Nexon be a simple plug and play affair? After all, the basic architecture of the engine is same and as long as it is not the automatic with its own set of logarithms, I don't see any problems with it. I think I am dreaming a bit unrealistically but technically it does seem feasible.
It might work if the engine is identical in bore and stroke else it will mess up the engine or not fire at all. Moreover, it will hard to source a Nexon ECU and even if you do, it will be quite expensive.
shaheenazk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2019, 20:44   #1094
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveoman19 View Post
Just out of curiosity, would replacing the ECU of the Altroz with that of Nexon be a simple plug and play affair? After all, the basic architecture of the engine is same and as long as it is not the automatic with its own set of logarithms, I don't see any problems with it. I think I am dreaming a bit unrealistically but technically it doea seem feasible.
The Altroz is supposed to have different hardware along with the engine, such as a smaller turbo than the Nexon. Replacing the ECU won't do any good but remaps could be a better idea.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2019, 22:37   #1095
BHPian

As most of the BHP'ians already mentioned about the sharp exteriors and bland interiors, let us actually compare the rumored features with that of its sibling(s).

Lets consider the heart of any vehicle which is the engine, Altroz will have a 3 cylinder engine whereas its sibling Baleno has a 4 cylinder engine (may be less refined than Baleno). At this price tag, NVH of Altroz will be more than its competitors.

AMT transmission in the premium hatchback segment is not a welcome for most as it since rivals offer CVT and dual-clutch automatic units.

If we talk about positives,

Tata Altroz’s ALFA ARC platform is claimed to be 5-star rated in crash tests (not proved yet but lets assume for now).

It is expected to come with goodies like projector headlamps with LED DRL's, 7-inch touchscreen infotainment unit and Harrier-like analog+digital instrument cluster, ambient lighting to name a few.

Altroz is not as lengthy as Baleno but definitely widthy than Baleno. Baleno beats Altroz in wheel base and ground clearance.

Also the after sales service is still a gamble for Tata's.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks