Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2019, 23:31   #1096
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
Those much vaunted 90 degree opening rear doors I agree are unique but wonder if they really aid ingress and egress that much.

For one, getting the chance to open any door to upto 90 degree is quite slim and it is the aperture between the B pillar and the wheel arch which really determines the ease of ingress and egress IMHO.
Looks like it is pretty good. Have a look at the screen shot took from the review.

Here is the video link. Watch from 7:10 min onwards and you can see what you are looking for. Reviewer looks like ~6' tall and above average built.

Attached Thumbnails
Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-screenshot_20191204221038956_com.google.android.youtube.png  

Last edited by Latheesh : 5th December 2019 at 23:41.
Latheesh is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 00:05   #1097
BHPian

re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Well, I found the car impressive in its looks. The car definitely has some road presence. Hopefully, like always, Tata gets the pricing right.

Few things I noticed:

At 1150 kgs for the diesel, the weight is definitely much more than the competition but I feel it also means that it's built like a tank(unlike the competition but like many other offerings from Tata)

The doors open at 90 degrees. I hope they market this feature well.
Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-screenshot_20191205233652_instagram.jpg

The interior ambient lighting looks sweet! Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-screenshot_20191205233713_instagram.jpg

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-screenshot_20191205233706_instagram.jpg

Image credits: Faisal Khan(@fasbeam) on Instagram.

Last edited by parth.jain : 6th December 2019 at 00:21.
parth.jain is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 00:39   #1098
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaheenazk View Post
I hope its atleast as powerful as the Tiago JTP and no less. Even if its 30000 bucks more than the regular Altroz, its VFM because Tiago JTP costs a lac more than the regular model...
And you bought the "30,000/- only extra" story? If a Tiago JTP costs a lakh more than regular version, how would an Altroz JTP cost just 30K more than its regular variant? That when there is an updated / upgraded engine with a turbo and a new suspension set up along with cosmetic mods?!

Why would the JTP version enter production in Jan and release only in Oct 2020? Production test runs are completd in 2-3 weeks I guess. Not sure we have seen any test modules in Coimbatore as Jeyam is based out of there. Overall a useless article is what I think.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 6th December 2019 at 00:42.
swiftnfurious is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 10:08   #1099
BHPian

agree that altroz power and torque figures for the NA petrol engine fall in line with its current chief competitors- baleno, i20 , jazz etc.

My only point to wait and watch ( i own a tiago auto and tigor) is the noise level of the engine ( the competition has super silent engines) and the drivetrain noise/ slickness ( the ib5 gearbox in my tigor whines and driveline shunt is very very prominent).

And also the mileage ( not that great in my tiago and tigor).

This is will be the make or break factor.
Nanolover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 10:29   #1100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaheenazk View Post
I find it disappointing because Tata Tiago JTP which is smaller than Altroz, has 114 bhp and 150 nm torque. And I expect the Altroz to cost at least as much as the Tiago JTP if not more.
That is comparing apples and oranges. The JTP Tiago's price is irrelevant within this context. Its a niche product which I do believe needs to be marketed better but thats a different story altogether. If your requirement is along the lines of a JTP then its best to wait for the Altroz JTP. Sadly you may then begin comparing it with vehicles at a higher price range.

I understand that price point is a critical value at which buyers do cross shop but to write off a product based only on size or price is never going to make sense. We have to compare with the actual competition and targeted competition. I would fault TATA for a 3 pot and not having an AT at launch. I suspect thats gonna be a deal breaker for some. Besides these factors, it's pretty much in line with competition.
chittybang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 11:22   #1101
BHPian

Going through the comments, probably we are assessing this car on what it does not have or why it is not superior over other competitors!

The petrol engine delivers similar power and torque figures comparable to what competitors are offering in their premium hatches, hence it is mediocre and not up to the mark. A turbo should have been there with an additional pot instead of three.

The diesel is detuned for fuel efficiency but doesn’t offer 250 NM torque, hence poor in performance! It should give fuel efficiency like a Maruti and offer performance like a Volkswagen 1.2 GTI.

Only two airbags (I also think there should have been option of six airbags) : not acceptable, ignoring the structural rigidity of Tata cars!

The steering doesn’t have reach adjustment, how funny!

And this goes on!

And then what if TATA comes with 110 hp petrol with 150 NM torque, 5-star safety rating, widest foot print with biggest boot, with all the possible combination of features with tempting price ?

Conclusion – Great! TATA has matured as PV manufacturer , Altroz is an excellent car , commendable job!

We need a premium family hatchback. Let’s buy Baleno!
Subby is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 11:26   #1102
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
And you bought the "30,000/- only extra" story? If a Tiago JTP costs a lakh more than regular version, how would an Altroz JTP cost just 30K more than its regular variant? That when there is an updated / upgraded engine with a turbo and a new suspension set up along with cosmetic mods?!
Because this is not a JTP version of the Altroz. Just a more punchier petrol option.

This will be available in a single top-end trim, is what I am hearing.

Quote:
Why would the JTP version enter production in Jan and release only in Oct 2020? Production test runs are completd in 2-3 weeks I guess. Not sure we have seen any test modules in Coimbatore as Jeyam is based out of there.
Yep, you are right. No Altroz JTP is on the cards yet.

Quote:
Overall a useless article is what I think.
Have received confirmation on the same. Carwale has their facts right.
RavenAvi is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 11:42   #1103
BHPian

After launching a 3 cylinder petrol and de-tuned diesel engine without an auto gear box and only two airbags, slowly all rumors are coming out - of dual clutch auto and now a more powerful petrol engine for top trim. Hope soon we are going to see rumor of 4 (or 6) airbag version for top trim with punchier engine and auto transmission. And also hope they launch it sooner than festive season. Already it was too much of wait for its regular launch. Finger crossed.

Last edited by dipdawiz : 6th December 2019 at 11:50. Reason: spelling check
Old 6th December 2019, 11:44   #1104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Because this is not a JTP version of the Altroz. Just a more punchier petrol option.

This will be available in a single top-end trim, is what I am hearing.

That sounds like a good plan. So then the strategy could be to price the normal Altroz at a discount to competitors and then have a punchier Altroz with DCT and manual option as a single top-end trim. Providing the DCT option only with the higher state of tune engine makes sense. That way people with still find it VFM even when compared to i20 and Baleno CVTs. The driving experience of a DCT will be far superior to CVT competitors. Looks like after all they had a plan in place. If only, all of these were launched in one single event;that would have created a big noise.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 6th December 2019 at 12:05.
padmrajravi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 11:54   #1105
Senior - BHPian

Interview with Mayank Pareek.

1. He confirms no AMT as that will be compromise for this segment. Thank god. Then asks if safety and automatic be traded? How lame is that a statement. Why cant an automatic be safe? Simply say we dont have it yet, but please don't make such lame statements. And then says only 16% folks want automatic, rest 84% will buy our product for now. Probably bangalore, mumbai etc are not on his radar
2. Explains gold standard. Stresses on safety of the platform, but rest points are meh.
3. Turbo petrol will come in future. Possibly the JTP.
4. He confirms HEXA will continue but will be re-positioned. Maybe cab segment?

Source : MotorOctane

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 6th December 2019 at 12:37. Reason: Typo corrected as requested.
SoumenD is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 12:41   #1106
Senior - BHPian

I am of the honest opinion that TATA cannot compete with Japanese yet in terms of engine refinement and mileage.

Its wise to stay away from petrol IMO.
Also I like the way TATA has stuck to its solid build quality ( Even when its competing with likes of Baleno ).
I feel GOLD will the popular colour for this car.

I am expecting it to cost lower than competition surely.
That it looks way better than Baleno in and out, will surely help its matters.

Last edited by silverado : 6th December 2019 at 12:42.
silverado is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 15:33   #1107
BHPian

Is it only me or did anyone else notice the scant beading on the doors. There is almost no rubber beading in both the front and back doors. Similar in line with the new Figo. This results in a not so assuring thunk compared to a thud.

Also the handle for the rear door seems to be oddly placed towards the top. Not sure how functional it is.

Otherwise a handsome looking car IMHO. Should sell decently especially if TATA decide to price it lower than the competition. The mood lighting too looks very good. Kind of like in a movie theatre. Not sure if they are multi-coloured.

They need to launch that Auto pretty soon to find takers in urban jungles and with the fairer sex.
Old 6th December 2019, 16:06   #1108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
Is it only me or did anyone else notice the scant beading on the doors. There is almost no rubber beading in both the front and back doors. Similar in line with the new Figo. This results in a not so assuring thunk compared to a thud.

Also the handle for the rear door seems to be oddly placed towards the top. Not sure how functional it is.
The door beadings look normal to me. Where do you find it missing ? And from your line about in the first para in your post, it looks like you have checked out the sound of closing personally ?

The rear door handle first came here in the Beat. How is it odd ? And this being a car and not a SUV, the placement is not too high.
condor is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 16:28   #1109
BHPian

Wide Opening door thing is unnecessary according to me. Door closing will be pain in this case because reaching to handle will be a challenge to close the door. Hence most of the users will not open door wide. Infact I think this is the reason all the cars are not having wide opening doors.
sushantr5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 16:30   #1110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The door beadings look normal to me. Where do you find it missing ? And from your line about in the first para in your post, it looks like you have checked out the sound of closing personally ?

The rear door handle first came here in the Beat. How is it odd ? And this being a car and not a SUV, the placement is not too high.
Chill please. I made my comment with respect to the Figo which my dad owns. So yeah! I heard the sound made by the Figo personally. With regards to the missing beading, please check out the below. Now can you spot something missing?

Also odd doesn't necessarily mean bad, in case that's what you understood.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-capture.jpg  

Last edited by racer_ash : 6th December 2019 at 16:34.
racer_ash is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed