Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2019, 23:19   #1186
BHPian

re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Most reviews which are out resonate the same thought process of 'There could have been a better effort'

The NA petrol engine is almost a failure when it comes to Suzuki and Honda. People are well aware these days and would not blindly go for Altroz NA petrol unless someone who has minimal knowledge and prefers only a 'new' car to stand apart from the Balenos, Jazz and Elite I 20s.

However, all have praised the diesel manual Altroz. The power, ride and handling is next to Punto is what I gather from different reviews. Well that is some appreciation for TML. They have done a great job especially with BS6 diesel engines.
VWAllstar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 01:06   #1187
BHPian

re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Without naming anyone, could someone be goading the reviewers to highlight the diesel more than the petrol knowing well that the competition would largely move out of diesel space in the near term? Just wondering...

Last edited by aditya79india : 11th December 2019 at 01:07.
aditya79india is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 03:20   #1188
Senior - BHPian

The Tata Altroz to me has more ticks than crosses and represents an excellent approach from Tata. For one the reviews augur well for the Alpha platform. The reviews do not point out any serious shortcoming of the platform per se.

Variant wise I am reminded of the Elite i20. A lacklustre petrol and a well performing diesel. Yet the variant has sold quite well. Standout for the Altroz is definitely the design and handling. The petrol engine that does the job rather than blow your socks off sets the stage for the JTP tuned version which would be what the chassis needs. The petrol though from the reviews seems to be well positioned to meet the needs of the volume buyer.

The interior looks decent but has been a letdown after the blockbuster exterior design. The instrument cluster and the infotainment panel are just average.

What I love about Tata is that they are consistently above the average when it comes to the handling department and continue to keep that capability.

All in all, I think it's a very well judged product striking the right compromises with a little for everybody. I hope they hit the right notes in the market too.

Standouts for me are (based of what i have gleaned from reviews):
  • Design
  • Handling
  • Diesel motor
  • BS6
  • Great sound system
  • Safety

Drive on,
Shibu.

Last edited by shibujp : 11th December 2019 at 03:24.
shibujp is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 08:39   #1189
Senior - BHPian

Park that thought. Tata introduced diesel in the Indian small car market and would probably exit with one. Yesterday I watched a video where an e-cycle battery ignited burning the bike and it was quite scary. So that tech is quite distant and besides, I see all technologies co-existing for some time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya79india View Post
Without naming anyone, could someone be goading the reviewers to highlight the diesel more than the petrol knowing well that the competition would largely move out of diesel space in the near term? Just wondering...
Old 11th December 2019, 08:58   #1190
Senior - BHPian

The buying consideration set for a potential premium hatchback buyer is not solely on price. The potential buyer in this segment typically comprises of a large percentage of owner drivers, first time buyers who are thinking of stretching their budget a bit to go for a bigger car, young professionals, add-on car for the family a d upgraders from a segment below.

While price will always be a driving factor across segments for all vehicle categories in India, it is not the sole criteria any more, particularly for this segment.
Styling, roominess, features & contents, ride comfort overall performance and increasingly nowadays, (and a welcome change too), safety is playing a large part in the decision making process. Fuel consumption is important but not the be all and end all.
While the ALTROZ seems to score well on aesthetics, roominess and ride comfort it's relative lack of sparkle when it comes to the gasoline engine will ensure that it has its work cut out when it's up against talented rivals, (purely from a powertrain point of view), from its traditional old rival Suzuki.
Our family, immediate and extended, has Tiago's, Nexon's, Swift's, Brio's in their possession and having driven all for considerable number of years and kilometres, i can say that the Tata gasoline's have quite a bit of ground to cover to match up to the Suzuki's, Honda's and VW's1.2Tsi small displacement motors. Be it NVH, tractability, top end performance, overall fuel efficiency - Tata needs to scale up a couple of notches on all the parameters. Just drive a Brio or a Baleno sedately or in anger and you'll understand what i mean.
All the more so because the premium hatch segment is pretty unforgiving when it comes to competition and Tata should not go into battle with one hand partially tied behind its back. Yes, the Tata diesel may be fine, but what percentage of premium hatch buyers buy diesels nowadays ? Overall possibly not even 15% buyers prefer diesels.

Anyways, let's not sound all doom and gloom. I'm sure there will be many buyers who will be willing to look at the positives of the ALTROZ and give it the success it deserves.
Wish Tata Motors all the best!
arjab is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 11:36   #1191
BANNED

Detailed video showing all lights in action. Headlights, tail-lights, cornering lights, fog lamps, turn indicators, and ambient lighting...etc

Tail lamps look much better compared to Harrier's lights which are less visible.
wheelguy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 15:25   #1192

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 12th December 2019 at 10:04.
rahultandon is offline   Received Infraction
Old 11th December 2019, 16:12   #1193
Senior - BHPian

Tata Altroz to be launched on January 22, 2020

According to a media report, the Tata Altroz will be launched on January 22, 2020.

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-altroz1.jpg

The Altroz is based on the modular ALFA platform. It measures 3,990 mm in length, 1,755 mm in width, 1,523 mm in height and has a wheelbase of 2,501 mm.

The Altroz's styling is based on Tata's Impact Design 2.0 philosophy. It features a slim grille and headlamps with triangular fog lamp pods placed just below the main headlamp clusters. At the rear, the Altroz features wraparound tail lamps with gloss black trim in the centre.

The new Altroz will be available with BS6 compliant petrol and diesel engines. The 1.2-litre, 3-cylinder, naturally aspirated petrol engine produces 85 BHP @ 6,000 rpm and 113 Nm @ 3,300 rpm. The 1.5-litre, 4-cylinder turbocharged diesel unit puts out 89 BHP @ 4,000 rpm and 200 Nm @ 1,250-3,000 rpm. Both engines will be offered with a 5-speed manual transmission.

Source

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 16:24   #1194
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Altroz to be launched on January 22, 2020

Is this going to replace Tiago or sell along side? If latter then it adds to never-ending list of hatchbacks from Tata - Nano, Bolt, Tiago and now Altroz. Glad that Indica, Vista are not sold anymore. BTW, isn't 2 more hatchbacks planned - Hornbill & Pixel? Now these in the age of Creta, Seltos?
Old 11th December 2019, 16:29   #1195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Is this going to replace Tiago or sell along side? If latter then it adds to never-ending list of hatchbacks from Tata - Nano, Bolt, Tiago and now Altroz. Glad that Indica, Vista are not sold anymore. BTW, isn't 2 more hatchbacks planned - Hornbill & Pixel? Now these in the age of Creta, Seltos?
Nano and bolt will be mostly discontinued with BS-VI kicking in. Tiago will cater to entry level segment and Altroz to premium segment. Just 2 cars going forward in hatchback segment. Next focus will be on harrier 7 seater and likes I believe

Last edited by SoumenD : 11th December 2019 at 16:32.
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 16:36   #1196
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
The Altroz is going to be sold alongside the Tiago infact the facelifted Tiago which will be launched in a few months will share design cues from the Altroz. The Tiago rivals the Celerio while the Altroz will rival the Baleno.

The Nano and the Bolt are unofficially dead since a few months now and will be axed by April next year. So Tata will have only 2 hatchbacks in its portfolio. The Hornbill is a SUV inspired hatchback which will be shown in production guise at the expo while there is no news of anything happening with the Pixel or the MegaPixel concept.

And sorry didn't get what you meant by Creta,Seltos.

Last edited by ram87pune : 11th December 2019 at 16:37.
ram87pune is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 16:39   #1197
BHPian

I have a strong feeling TML will price the Altroz very competitively.

My bet is Altroz top of the line Diesel to be at 8.5 Lakhs (ex showroom) and Petrol to be at 7.25 Lakhs (ex showroom)

With such pricing it will undercut Baleno and I20 by a far margin and that is the only hope to sell it in good numbers.
VWAllstar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 16:39   #1198
Senior - BHPian

Tata seriously needs to calm down and stop launching so many new cars without proper petrol engines IMO. No point launching a fantastically designed and well priced product if you lack what the market demands right now; PETROL & AUTOMATIC. If Tata keeps pushing that 1.2 3cyl petrol mill mated to their AMT, people will continue to buy Hyundais and Kias and all the money poured into R&D for these new products would have been a waste.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 16:42   #1199
BHPian

Looks brilliant! Especially in that gold colour. The styling is really upmarket. Imho there should have been an automatic option right from day 1. Hope it does well for Tata's sake.
manishk123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 16:57   #1200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahultandon View Post
Is it only me or does others also feel that its a Modified Indica?
Yes its only who feels its a modified indica. If this post of yours is not a troll(looks mostly like it is) then please come out of your bias/hate and look at it again
trinity0114 is offline   (14) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks