Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2019, 17:39   #1201
BHPian

re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahultandon View Post
Is it only me or does others also feel that its a Modified Indica?
Yes, seems like you're on your own on this one..
Turrrb0 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 17:42   #1202
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity0114 View Post
Yes its only who feels its a modified indica. If this post of yours is not a troll(looks mostly like it is) then please come out of your bias/hate and look at it again
I tell.you what, i have even heard a guy saying Tiago looks like Tata Indica. People really search for a reason to bash Tata.
tushky is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 17:44   #1203
Senior - BHPian

I guess everyone is cursing the petrol engine. But all its competitors have the same situation

i20 - Has horrible 1.2 petrol engine
Jazz / WRV - Has a similar 1.2 petrol engine
Freestyle / Figo - Has a similar petrol engine

This seems to be a characteristic of the segment.
2000rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 17:59   #1204
BHPian

Quote:
Yes. Thats how you will feel till you start to appreciate the maker for improvements.
klassics45 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 18:04   #1205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
I guess everyone is cursing the petrol engine. But all its competitors have the same situation

This is all thanks to our sub 4m, <1.2L petrol engine rule..
Old 11th December 2019, 18:08   #1206
BHPian

Somewhere, someone always thinks that the new age Tata cars (Altroz included) look like Indica even when others don't find any similarity.
So, even if we assume that these cars indeed do look like Indica - is that really a bad thing and encourages lambasting newer Tata designs? This is not to say that evolution shouldn't happen but even if some resemblance stays in the evolved ilk, it isn't necessarily objectionable.

Yes, if the features, interiors, layout and "niggles" also were like Indica, THEN it would have been totally justified to criticize Tata on those grounds. The Altroz has its share of shortcomings, but the overall package is still good if not outright compelling

Last edited by mroutlander : 11th December 2019 at 18:15. Reason: Minor correction
mroutlander is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 18:14   #1207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But all its competitors have the same situation
Except the Baleno/Glanza.

The criticism for Tata's lacklustre petrol engine seems to be coming from an enthusiast's perspective on most platforms. I'm sure the masses have other considerations than outright performance from an engine, if at all "engine" is a consideration in the first place, and most buyers will be content with a refined, fuel efficient engine as long as it offers enough pep to get the car going.

Another thing is that it shouldn't sound puny on paper (Ecosport Ecoboost, Renault Triber for e.g.) For this segment, a 1.2 litre petrol motor won't disappoint the masses unless it is terribly unrefined due to the missing cylinder. At this point (without any experience or TD), I can only hope that it is adequate for the job.

Looking at the overall product, Altroz petrol is close to perfect for the masses (rear design = hit or miss) but certainly not good enough to lure enthusiasts. Tata products have never been that, so I'm not complaining either.

Last edited by self_driven : 11th December 2019 at 18:21.
Old 11th December 2019, 18:15   #1208
BHPian

A good looking car - will turn heads for the early buyers.
Don't like the interiors though - severe mismatch in it's exterior looks and rather boring interior in my opinion.
driven646 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 18:32   #1209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
Except the Baleno/Glanza.
Even the Baleno is 1.2 petrol. The Sports edition has been discontinued.

My point is, the reviewers keep comparing this segment to a segment higher or segment diesels. The truth is, except the Polo, all cars in this segment have a non-enthusiast petrol engine.
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 18:55   #1210
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Yes its only who feels its a modified indica. If this post of yours is not a troll(looks mostly like it is) then please come out of your bias/hate and look at it again
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrrb0 View Post
Yes, seems like you're on your own on this one..
Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post
I tell.you what, i have even heard a guy saying Tiago looks like Tata Indica. People really search for a reason to bash Tata.
First, you guys tell me what's wrong with the Tata Indica?

Next, I hope y'all are feeling mighty proud of yourselves for mocking somebody who merely stated his subjective opinion. Last time I checked, having an opinion was still allowed in this forum.

Just know that if a product is good and if it pulls all the right strings, it'll do just fine without all your desperate defending.

BTW, rahultandon, bro, a modified Indica? seriously? )
jailbird_fynix is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 18:58   #1211
BHPian

Quote:
I have to disagree with you but I must admit that you aren't completely in the wrong as well because the Altroz does remind me of the Indica of yore, even the Vista and the Bolt to some extent. Unlike some of the competition who blatantly copy the Germans, I like the fact that TATA has taken inspiration from within their stable and designed it to be relevant for 2020 and beyond. And, we should thank the almighty that TATA has let go of its fascination with the 'egg shape'.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post
I agree with mroutlander -

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroutlander View Post
Somewhere, someone always thinks that the new age Tata cars (Altroz included) look like Indica even when others don't find any similarity.
So, even if we assume that these cars indeed do look like Indica - is that really a bad thing and encourages lambasting newer Tata designs? This is not to say that evolution shouldn't happen but even if some resemblance stays in the evolved ilk, it isn't necessarily objectionable.
Is it really a bad thing to find a resemblance to the Indica? My opinion is, rahultandon was merely asking a question and not necessarily demeaning the Altroz design, so there is no need to get riled up.

Quote:
The truth is, except the Polo, all cars in this segment have a non-enthusiast petrol engine.
The rumor is that the new 1.0L TSi isn't as sprightly as the 1.2L TSi. If that's the case, it will be safe to assume there is nothing wrong with TATA's petrol engine, it is similar to what the competition offers.

Last edited by Porschefire : 11th December 2019 at 19:00.
Porschefire is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 20:55   #1212
BHPian

Quote:
My point is, the reviewers keep comparing this segment to a segment higher or segment diesels. The truth is, except the Polo, all cars in this segment have a non-enthusiast petrol engine.
You never know the fate untill tried. Swift was also a NA petrol but it was preferred by a lot of enthusiasts. Maybe you can say that there were no competing hatch back then but still a lot here as well feel swift NA petrol was fun to drive.

Enthusiasts make just a marginal percentage of car buyers so Tata may be looking to tap the non enthusiast as they have already offered a JTP Tiago and Tigor.
Old 11th December 2019, 21:11   #1213
BHPian

Has any of the reviewers commented on the audio quality, number of USB ports etc?
I honestly hope Tata has given two USB slots here unlike just one in Nexon.
Old 11th December 2019, 21:20   #1214
Senior - BHPian

A major contributor to the way the ALTROZ looks, is the"reverse angle" front radiator grille.

Has the inspiration been taken from a certain Italian beauty which graced our roads for close to half a century?

Attached Thumbnails
Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-20191211_211202collage.jpg  

Old 11th December 2019, 21:39   #1215
BHPian

Quote:

The Swift & Baleno have brilliant 1.2L engines
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks