Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2019, 14:20   #1246
BHPian

re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Why not? TATA absolutely have every reason to do so, now that they have an excellent 'halo' car-the Harrier.
The only issue being its brand equity. Just not related to 'premium' cars. Look at Toyota going for 'Lexus' brand in the US and Nissan going for 'Infiniti' just to shake off that mass commuter tag.
Old 13th December 2019, 15:19   #1247
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

If Altroz is not of interest, then look forward to the the Altroz EV ! Now spied on test.

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 7998
Size:  649.5 KB

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 13th December 2019 at 15:31.
volkman10 is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 13th December 2019, 15:26   #1248
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
If Altroz is not of interest, then look forward to the the Altoz EV ! Now spied on test.

Attachment 1945491

Link
This Altroz thread was started in 2015 and the vehicle sales will start in 2020.
Tata should start sales of Altroz EV much before 2024 to have some good numbers. After Nexon EV launch next week, it should soon be followed by Altroz EV IMO.
hemanth.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th December 2019, 22:54   #1249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
It's the price, of course!
How else do you distinguish Baleno from its lower priced siblings Swift, Ignis, (now) WagonR which share the same powertrains, switchgear etc.
Well size plays a bit of a role as the price difference is not huge. The Swift and Ignis are both slightly smaller cars with smaller boots too boot.

The problem with the Altroz is that it needs a bit extra to compete with established players like Suzuki and Hyundai. Price alone isn't the biggest factor at this price point.

I don't think anyone here is rooting against Tata but most of us wish Tata had launched the Altroz with all the bases covered like a proper AT at launch, a better petrol engine etc.
bf1983 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th December 2019, 07:46   #1250
BHPian

Agree on this, Tata being a new entrant and a challenger in this segment has to bring something extra to the table to take on the established players like Maruti and Hyundai. An automatic (CVT or TC) and a smoother petrol should have been a must at the launch. Again, I am not saying that petrol will not be smooth 100%, but my experience with Tiago petrol tells me that Tata 3 cylinder petrol is not the epitome of refinement.
Old 14th December 2019, 07:53   #1251
BHPian

Even BMW X1 will come with 3 cylinder petrol next year
Abhishek_Garg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2019, 09:01   #1252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhishek_Garg View Post
Even BMW X1 will come with 3 cylinder petrol next year
Not all 3 cylinder petrols are the same. Comparing petrol engines in the same segment the Ford figo has a 1.2l 96 bhp engine. I have driven that car and it's a pretty good engine though behind the hyundai and suzuki 1.2l engines.

Tata unfortunately had a slightly difficult position when launching the Altroz as they don't have a decent modern small capacity 4 cylinder petrol engine. They have worked on the Tiago engine before plonking it in the Altroz by adding a balancer shaft and more. So hopefully the changes over the Tiago have improved the engine enough that people don't reject the car only because of the engine as the car does seems to be a solid offering aside from the glaring lack of an automatic.
bf1983 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2019, 13:55   #1253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
This Altroz thread was started in 2015 and the vehicle sales will start in 2020.
Tata should start sales of Altroz EV much before 2024 to have some good numbers. After Nexon EV launch next week, it should soon be followed by Altroz EV IMO.
Altroz EV is expected to be launched later in 2020 as per earlier reports. I think Nexon EV in Q1 CY2020 and Altroz EV in Q4 CY2020. Both Nexon and Altroz EVs use Ziptron technology with slightly bigger batteries in Altroz for more range.
sri_tesla is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2019, 14:49   #1254
Senior - BHPian

Nexon petrol engine
6 airbags
Proper AT transmission

They should have brought atleast 2 of the above to stand out from the competition (provided value for money price tag). Everything else looks fine with this car.

i20 - average engine, CVT, 6 airbags
Baleno - good engine, CVT
Jazz - good engine, CVT
Polo - excellent engine, DSG

Last edited by Latheesh : 14th December 2019 at 14:55.
Latheesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th December 2019, 14:59   #1255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Nexon petrol engine
6 airbags
Proper AT transmission

They should have brought atleast 2 of the above to stand out from the competition. Everything else looks fine with this car.
Completely agree on all three points. Now if it is such an obvious list why is it that TATA in all its wisdom thinks otherwise.

I get it that the Nexon engine may bump up the price but it should have been an option at least in the top end. If they think the AT demand is less it still should have been in the top trim. If demand is less it doesn't matter but at least the car stays relevant for those who consider the AT.

The 6 airbags missing is just plain silly. Should have been offered as an optional pack. By cutting out these things they have pretty much chosen to ignore the buyers who look for the gold standard. I still believe these airbags are something they just have to reconsider.
Old 15th December 2019, 13:49   #1256
BHPian

The Altroz looks quite contemporary to me, of course looks are subjective and each individual to his/her own on this aspect.

While build quality "seems" very good from the reviews, will need to see it in flesh and wait for the crash test results to confirm.

Agree with fellow members comments on the non availability of AT , 6 speed. But I don't agree so much on the 6 air bag exclusion, not sure how many 6 air bag versions of its competitors in the same segment are available and are actually selling. If Baleno can be called a premium hatch by people then no comments to people doubting the Altroz as a premium hatch.

Hope Tata is keenly reading consumer preferences and is working on a war footing to get their products up to those expectations, current sales nos aren't doing justice to the quality of their new cars.
The Observer is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th December 2019, 21:49   #1257
BANNED

Deliveries to start from 3rd week of January 2020.

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-img_20191215_214607.jpg

Source
wheelguy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 09:48   #1258
SR7
BHPian

I had enquired with the official JTP account on Instagram if they’re developing an Altroz JTP They neither confirmed nor denied it, but we can assume that one is definitely on its way
Attached Thumbnails
Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-f5cde9dc59b6456a93e531fdd8f308b6.png  

Old 16th December 2019, 10:34   #1259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR7 View Post
I had enquired with the official JTP account on Instagram if they’re developing an Altroz JTP They neither confirmed nor denied it, but we can assume that one is definitely on its way
Of course there will be an Altroz JTP. I am thinking they are reserving the turbo petrol+DCT for the JTP version. Makes sense to me.

Some slight reworking of the front bumper, lower the car, add in the jtp branding outside, corresponding jtp branding/stickering/emblem in the seats/wherever, some of that sweet turbo sound, the 1.2 turbo petrol with 100+ horses and the DCT.

Altroz has neutral-to-good handling already, so I think the JTP will be easier to be made, the steering of the stock Altroz is also not as dead as the stock Tiago, which had some dead areas in the centre.

My guess is no manual for the Altroz JTP.
Old 16th December 2019, 12:11   #1260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
My guess is no manual for the Altroz JTP.
If you take out the manual then where is the fun in driving a turbo petrol? I really hope that JTP offers a manual as well. And considering the weight of the car, I hope they offer at least 120 bhp and 200NM torque with a good low-end torque.
shaheenazk is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks