Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2019, 12:28   #1261
BHPian

re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaheenazk View Post
If you take out the manual then where is the fun in driving a turbo petrol? I really hope that JTP offers a manual as well. And considering the weight of the car, I hope they offer at least 120 bhp and 200NM torque with a good low-end torque.
GT TSI is turbo petrol+auto, and it certainly is very fun to drive, right? The industry is moving towards automatics, and it's only fair that they consider the opportunities in launching a hot hatch with an automatic.

Jtp needs to be more common, and not some exclusive 5-10 units a month product. A lot of the GT TSI owners I've seen and talked to, chose the car because of the petrol+auto combination rather than because of the actual performance of the car. A turbo petrol + DCT would be good enough for the enthusiasts as well as the commoner.

Maybe they could later introduce a manual version for the purists but a turbo petrol+Dual clutch will be a strong element for advertisement. That combo will be the least expected from Tata and will be a factor for people that are sitting on the fence.

Last edited by SaiSW : 16th December 2019 at 12:30.
SaiSW is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 15:19   #1262
BHPian

re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

A neutral handling and brilliantly riding well built car with smashing looks and good interior space coupled with very good diesel motor having a wide torque curve. Look beyond some iffy plastics this looks like a car which can be a corner carver and a family hatch at the same time. Even the petrol motor is pretty decent in this era of 80/120kph speed beeps. I hope Tata will sort out any niggling issues before launch as this car is a great alrounder and a compelling prospect if priced correctly.
needforspeed88 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 15:45   #1263
BHPian

Pratap Bose Tweeted these pics in the morning.
What these pics depict is how well Tata Motors make someone's (their designer team's obviously ) dream come true

Secondly, in the background we can spot the sedan which is likely to be spawned out from Altroz's platform.
(I know that is the same concept EV, which they showcased in Geneva this year.)
Attached Thumbnails
Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-whatsapp-image-20191216-3.13.01-pm.jpeg  

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-whatsapp-image-20191216-3.12.59-pm.jpeg  

DriveOnceMore is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 15:52   #1264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveOnceMore View Post
Pratap Bose Tweeted these pics in the morning.
What these pics depict is how well Tata Motors make someone's (their designer team's obviously ) dream come true

Secondly, in the background we can spot the sedan which is likely to be spawned out from Altroz's platform.
(I know that is the same concept EV, which they showcased in Geneva this year.)
Where did these pics come from? I can't find it on his twitter profile at all! Could you drop a link to these pictures?
Old 16th December 2019, 16:37   #1265
Distinguished - BHPian

10/10 for Tata's design team for staying true to the original concept's design. Well done!
kiku007 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 20:15   #1266
Senior - BHPian

May be I am missing something here but I don't see any USP of this over the current market leaders like I20 or Baleno..

Hopefully, they have learnt their lesson with the Harrier as it was their most ambitious product and we can at least expect a well-finished product. But that alone won't move the needle for Tata Motors unless they undercut the competition significantly.
adimicra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 21:46   #1267
SR7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
Of course there will be an Altroz JTP. I am thinking they are reserving the turbo petrol+DCT for the JTP version. Makes sense to me.

Some slight reworking of the front bumper, lower the car, add in the jtp branding outside, corresponding jtp branding/stickering/emblem in the seats/wherever, some of that sweet turbo sound, the 1.2 turbo petrol with 100+ horses and the DCT.

Altroz has neutral-to-good handling already, so I think the JTP will be easier to be made, the steering of the stock Altroz is also not as dead as the stock Tiago, which had some dead areas in the centre.

My guess is no manual for the Altroz JTP.

I feel they should have both the MT and AT variants on offer for the Version that offers a 1.2L turbo-Petrol engine - wonder which one will be selected / branded a JTP. Let us wait for the initial pricing to be revealed. A turbo-Petrol DCT combo may push OTR prices closer to the Polo GT TSI and I’m not sure JTSV would want that - ideally they should be able to undercut the GT TSI by around 1-1.5 lakh OTR, but that means they may not be able to offer a 6-airbag system, let alone TC & ESP . Ex-showroom prices of Polo GT TSI over the Tiago JTP is 3 lakhs translating to around 3.5 lakh OTR in Chennai. Anyway let us wait and watch
Old 17th December 2019, 13:23   #1268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
May be I am missing something here but I don't see any USP of this over the current market leaders like I20 or Baleno..

Hopefully, they have learnt their lesson with the Harrier as it was their most ambitious product and we can at least expect a well-finished product. But that alone won't move the needle for Tata Motors unless they undercut the competition significantly.
I think a higher probability of surviving in a crash should be considered as a USP, i am referring to better build quality. Moreover the reviewers are praising the the handling and dynamics of the car as well.
And although the looks are subjective, but people here and everywhere are liking the looks as well.
yesyeswe is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 16:11   #1269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post
I think we'd all agree that Tata is now proficient at shooting themselves in the foot. The 3 cylinder, no AT etc have been debated to death.

My only question, if we swapped the badge on the Altroz with a Hyundai, Honda or especially Toyota would there be such a debate?

Pretty sure everyone would rave about the build, and potential 5 star safety rating. People would argue to death that they would be willing to compromise the 'premium' for 'safety'.
Dear Friend,

Wasn't the Toyota Etios beaten till death for it's pathetic interiors, poor NVH?
Wasn't the Holier-than-thou Honda City bashed for it's QC issues at launch?

All this Criticism & feedback should be taken constructively, in my opinion, and all manufacturers include TML should gauge feedback and act accordingly.

That 3 Cylinder mill is not at all befitting of this rather handsome Altroz. That's the plain simple reason why it is being bashed.
The competition has refined 4 Cylinder mills, which are leagues better.

However, the diesel is supposedly very good, and capable of BS6 as well.
I have a feeling that this will succeed, thanks to the excellent diesel in BS6 (which MSIL offerings will cease to have shortly).
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 16:21   #1270
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Wasn't the Toyota Etios beaten till death for it's pathetic interiors, poor NVH?
Yes, but the magnitude of bashing differs, the magnitude of benefit of doubt differs, the words used, the undertones, the phrases differ.

Yes, no manufacturer is spared, but the magnitude differs, there are differences.

Last edited by wheelguy : 17th December 2019 at 16:23.
wheelguy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 16:43   #1271
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Dear Friend,

All this Criticism & feedback should be taken constructively, in my opinion, and all manufacturers include TML should gauge feedback and act accordingly.
One can bash Tata and any other car maker all they want. If you pay a certain price for a certain segment, you deserve the respective features.

All I said was no one ever questioned the other brands for calling themselves premium.

I am not defending Tata. They have goofed up and looking at inside info provided on Team-BHP, they seem to be continuing to goof up for the next one year. Hope they get on the right track.

As far engine capacities go, not only Tata, most of the manufacturers need to do better.

Here's my humble Dzire's figures, from an entire segment below, from 2010. Isn't going to make many baleno owners smile.

Name:  dzire.PNG
Views: 3175
Size:  31.4 KB

I compared it with all the 'premium' hatches, and the power figure difference isn't astronomical.

Last edited by TROOPER : 17th December 2019 at 16:53.
TROOPER is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 18:51   #1272
BHPian

There is lot been talked about petrol engine.
I think it’s good to know what is TBHP preview/ initial impression about the car from the resent media drive. It would give a good understanding on what to expect from this new car in 2020.
Old 17th December 2019, 19:44   #1273
BHPian

This thread already has lost momentum and there will be again some activity post the price announcement in Jan. This whole launch has been so streched and badly handled by the marketing team. The novelty factor has been lost.

The entire marketing team needs an overhaul and they need to bring in top talent who can ensure that new launches are quick, slick and deliveries begin ASAP within a month.

Consumers seeing actual cars running on the roads is the best advertisement for any car manufacturer.
trek is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th December 2019, 10:03   #1274
Distinguished - BHPian

All the pre-unveil promos, teasers, videos & images officially released by TML had a little buddy lurking under the ORVM. We speculated a wide range of possibilities for it. From a simple T logo projector puddle lamp to proximity monitors, 360Deg cameras, blind spot monitors.

Eventually did it actually make way to the production car? I don't remember seeing it anywhere in any images / specifications sheets after the unveil.

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-altroz_undermirror.jpg

Or TML managed another segment first of deleting a feature between campaign start & unveil also?
Reinhard is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th December 2019, 10:27   #1275
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post

Eventually did it actually make way to the production car? I don't remember seeing it anywhere in any images / specifications sheets after the unveil.
It is very much there in the media drive cars which are the production spec cars. Here's a screenshot from MotorOctane's walkaround video:

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-screenshot_20191218-tata-altroz-walkaround-hindi-motoroctane-youtube.png
It's purpose, I assume is to reduce wind noise or to improve aerodynamics.
wheelguy is offline   (10) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks