Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2020, 14:06   #1546
BHPian

Re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishen.padiyar View Post
To me it looks like the diesel variants are dead on arrival. Undoubtedly the specifications of the 1.5 revotorq are promising - especially the peak torque from as low as ~1200 RPM but then in that segment there are good punchy diesels that have been around for a while. 1.7L over it's petrol counterpart is hard to justify considering the current fuel pricing.
The difference in pricing between petrol and diesel variants ranges from 1.7 laks for the base model to 1.4 laks for mid XT variant. Looks like the base petrol is priced to look attractive on the price chart and for the psychological effect of being close to the 5 lak ex showroom mark.
damodar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 14:06   #1547
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

No automatic option at launch is a dampener, especially given the Tiago/Tigor facelift comes with an AMT gear box. Considering TML drags it's feet whilst giving automatic gear boxes. The BS 6 diesels are expensive!! ₹ 1.6L difference in cost of petrol and diesel models is way of and irrecoverable in the cars life time. So the companies and Govt are saying switch to petrol or cough up the money.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 22nd January 2020 at 14:09.
Durango Dude is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 14:06   #1548
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarik.arora View Post
1.7 lac difference in ex-showroom equals to a 1.9-2 lac difference in on-road prices.... This combined with higher maintenance for diesels ... .
the higher price because of BS6 setup for diesels. But that is huge !

but looking at the table on the prev page - this price is for a BS6 diesel and still lower than the Polo & i20 that have BS4.

Am I missing something ?

Last edited by condor : 22nd January 2020 at 14:08.
condor is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 14:15   #1549
BANNED

We had the Altroz launching ceremony at our TCS premises today. The number of techies who assembled for the event was extra ordinarily high. I was surprised to see such amount of people who came to see and feel a ‘TATA’ car. It seems the car have made a greater impact among the 25-35 age group and I hope the car be a great success in terms of sales. Kudos to TATA for being a role model for car safety in India.

Last edited by pavi : 22nd January 2020 at 14:16.
pavi is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 14:15   #1550
BHPian

Great pricing!
I am considering buying the Altroz to replace my aging Celerio Automatic A 2014 model hardly 40K run, The handling, and the paint quality has gone for a toss.

But no option for an AT gearbox on Altroz is a show stopper for me, at least for now. Might wait for a bit to see if TATA launches an AT on the Altroz.
yamaniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 14:17   #1551
Senior - BHPian

Few observations from my side:
  • The pricing for the diesel is good, in my opinion.
    For comparisons sake, the top end Diesel variant (in spite of being a BS6) is still cheaper than the "soon-to-be-discontinued" i20 Asta(o) BS4 diesel.
  • Considering that no other rivals have managed to offer a BS6 diesel option in a large hatchback, the Altroz may have a free run at the box office for a few months.
  • The price difference between the XE and XM variants is huge (Almost 1 lakh), while the gap between XZ & XZ(O) is minuscule.
abhishek46 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 14:18   #1552
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post
i20 won't be getting the BS6 diesel.
Is that confirmed? So the AURA will get a diesel engine but not the i20? That sounds quite a weird strategy. Or Hyundai has already anticipated that Aura will head straight to the fleet market while i20 stays a premium personal hatchback perhaps.
Reinhard is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 14:22   #1553
BANNED

Here's how they stack up, that's some tight variant packaging by Tata.

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-capture-price-comparo.png
wheelguy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 14:22   #1554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Is that confirmed? So the AURA will get a diesel engine but not the i20? That sounds quite a weird strategy. Or Hyundai has already anticipated that Aura will head straight to the fleet market while i20 stays a premium personal hatchback perhaps.
They will retain xcent for taxi market. Aura is for personal buyers only
NICHE is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 14:24   #1555
Team-BHP Support

Petrol is well priced, but the engine lets the package down. Diesel is comparatively expensive, but still the car to buy. Dwindling diesel sales in the segment, and the 1.7 lakhs difference with the petrol variants will surely hurt.

Hope to see TATA solidly advertising the 5-star safety. Thats the primary USP that i see in the product right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Is that confirmed? So the AURA will get a diesel engine but not the i20? .
There is a rumour that i20 might lose the diesel for now as the 1.4 diesel is being discontinued. i20 next generation which is also coming soon, might launch with a 1.2 or 1.5 BS6 diesel motor.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 14:32   #1556
BHPian

Great pricing by TATA, love it. I will wait and watch this space and see how the market laps this up!

Btw I'm not clear on these packs provided on each variant. Does the XZ(O) require any of these packs? Meaning, is there any extra feature not available in the top variant which is available in for example in Luxe pack?
Old 22nd January 2020, 14:34   #1557
BHPian

+ I loved the pricing on petrol. Would have been my pick against the Jazz if it had an automatic.

+ factory fitted option packs is good flexibility for consumer. So essentially they are offering 10 variants rather than 5.

- 1.7 Lakh premium for diesel seems to be way off. With this price it's almost competing with CSUVs. I would rather pay 50K more and buy a Brezza (4*) or Nexon (5*).

I think Tata can learn a bit from Maruti. They could have launched it on "introductory" prices which is supposed to be revised in 3 months time. This way they could have offered diesel at 1.2 Lakh premium and judged the response. If there are tackers increase the price, if not its better to sell at lower price than not at all.

I think our market is very unforgiving, and you are branded a success in first 3 months. No amount of price correction, niggle correction after that matter. Case in point Yaris, Fiesta, old-Jazz failed because they were launched at wrong price and failed even though they were competent products.
satishchugh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 14:34   #1558
BHPian

Here are the prices of Tata Altroz announced in an event today.Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-altrozprices.jpg
shaheenazk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 14:39   #1559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
No automatic option at launch is a dampener, especially given the Tiago/Tigor facelift comes with an AMT gear box. Considering TML drags it's feet whilst giving automatic gear boxes. The BS 6 diesels are expensive!! ₹ 1.6L difference in cost of petrol and diesel models is way of and irrecoverable in the cars life time. So the companies and Govt are saying switch to petrol or cough up the money.
Exactly, I think its a deliberate move to push petrol sales.And moreover like mentioned before,petrol cars sell more than this segment and with ULS Diesel hinted to be more expensive than the current diesel prices,its a no brainer to go for petrols.
Old 22nd January 2020, 14:52   #1560
BHPian

My guess- the huge price difference between petrol and Diesel is to accommodate the turbocharged petrol that'll come later. Of course, the bs6 tech made it quite expensive.
Overall it's a fair price(both petrol and Diesel) for what's on offer, nothing wrong with it, but isn't jaw-droppingly vfm either. Good luck to Tata motors.
Skorp_Knight is online now   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed