Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2020, 14:56   #1561
BHPian

Re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Excellent pricing by TATA . TATA is on a roll.

I don't understand why few feel that diesel pricing is wayward. Below is the comparison with competition.

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-altroz.jpg
*GT TDi & dual tone variants not included
*haven't considered feature to pricing equation

XE is priced marginally ahead of i20 and 31K more than Baleno - variant to variant it is on par with both i20 & Baleno. Polo and Jazz are not in contention.

Altroz pricing is for BS complaint diesel vs BS4 of competition.

Baleno's diesel in BS6 avatar is still uncertain.

Polo isn't getting a diesel option post BS6 implementation.

Jazz is a HONDA and will be priced out of contention if at all it gets a BS6 diesel.

Only competition with BS6 engine would be the i20 when its gets the BS6 complaint 1.5 CRDi and BS6 price of Altroz is at par with BS4 i20.

Over & above, Altroz is the safest in the batch which when considered voids the comparison.

Now TATA has enough room for the turbo petrol and AT options. I wish there for a diesel JTP with the Revotorq in Nexon tune . I hope TATA is able to move 10K+ units each month so that other feel the pinch and take corrective action.

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 22nd January 2020 at 15:19.
Karthik Chandra is online now   (24) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 14:58   #1562
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

For me, diesel is costly by 50K. Petrol pricing is fantastic! Kudos to Tata for launching it at a such attractive price. All the best, hope you will get loads of success for Altroz.
aniketi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 15:00   #1563
BHPian

Pricing it too low would've cannibalized the sales of Tiago since Tiago won't be offered with diesel after BS6 implementation. So lot of buyers would end up cross shopping between Altroz and Tiago.
Also based on various reviews 1.5 litre 90 ps tune on Altroz does pretty well on roads. I don't know why some enthusiasts are whining about it even before experiencing it themselves.
You can't expect everything at a given price. If Tata would've launched 110 ps tune with 6speed MT then it would've to compromise somewhere to keep prices in check.
That's what is done with Figo's case I feel. Though the mechanical specs are too good on paper, it has a ridiculously outdated interior and a poor structural stability.
Storm2.0 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 15:00   #1564
BHPian

This car has all the bells and whistles to be the segment leader. Considering the shift in mentality of Indian customers it'll give tough times to the likes of Baleno and i20.

I really wish the ASS and dealer experience remains as good as the product. That's the only thing where Tata struggles.
uditsharma01 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 15:08   #1565
BHPian

Fantastic pricing and offering by Tata. Having gone through the Brochure in detail, The XT variant seems the most bang for your buck. Other than Auto AC, Rear AC Vents and Adjustable Driver Seat, It has all other features including the touch screen entertainment system.

I doubt diesel is relevant in this segment anymore as most Hatchback owners prefer petrol and the KMs needed to break even for a diesel car is ~ 1+ Lakh KMs at the minimum. Those who want the diesel and intend to do a lot of miles can go for the Nexon, Not sure why Tata Motors even bothered..

The one big miss is lack of AT. Almost every one in my circle have gone for AT when they changed their cars, be in the Premium Hatch segments or entry level SUV. Why Tata.. Why ?
charanreddy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 15:08   #1566
Senior - BHPian

Top notch safety rating and styling are the only USP. Price is just okay, nothing earth shattering. Baleno, i20 have discounts and on road prices will match that of altroz. If I have to pickup Altroz, Diesel is the one to go for, despite premium.
PrideRed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 15:09   #1567
Distinguished - BHPian

I feel the diesel pricing is optimistic. The 5 star safety rating & a powerful diesel engine were the USP for this car (and the design which is extremely subjective). An aggressive diesel pricing at least at launch would have worked wonders. This diesel pricing appears especially garish considering the BSVI EcoSport got launched with minimal price bump.

While the petrol Altroz might not appeal people for the very low price (due to the perception around its capabilities) - people might spend extra to buy a better driving petrol car (Even a petrol Nexon) rather than paying a haevy premium just to get a diesel Altroz. The price gap between petrol & diesel is too much. If I was shopping, I'd surely frown at the asking price. And trust me - I'll be driving diesel engine cars till the world stops making them.

Makes more sense to spend a bit more here and there to buy a near placed trim of a compact SUV like the EcoSport then instead of a top trim diesel Altroz.

I'm disappointed that even with ready examples of Seltos, Hector with their smashing launch pricing, Tata didn't take that approach. Its a known sure success formula right now.

Last edited by Reinhard : 22nd January 2020 at 15:11.
Reinhard is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 15:40   #1568
Senior - BHPian

Pricing is realistic I would say and while it undercuts competition, it is not a killer price tag !!

As usual TATA continues to delay automatic
After all the delays, i expected them to offer auto box at launch.

Car looks nice in person(didn't like the gold color though, not to my liking !!)
Old 22nd January 2020, 15:55   #1569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Chandra View Post
Excellent pricing by TATA . TATA is on a roll.
I don't understand why few feel that diesel pricing is wayward. Below is the comparison with competition.
Everyone is comparing Diesel price with it's Petrol sibling, INR 1.7L is a big difference.
You are right, when comparing with BS4 competition it is a very good price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
I'm disappointed that even with ready examples of Seltos, Hector with their smashing launch pricing, Tata didn't take that approach. Its a known sure success formula right now.
Petrol pricing is quite aggressive while for Diesel, sales in this segment is mere 13-15% as against 50% in Seltos/Hector segment. IMO there is no point getting aggressive for such low volumes.

BTW, here is the brochure from Tata official site.
XT is fairly loaded and looks value for money. Top variants are loaded to gills.

Is dual tone the only difference between XZ and XZ(O)? Could not find any in the brochure.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-altroz-b1.jpg  

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-altroz-b2.jpg  

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-altroz-b3.jpg  

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-altroz-b4.jpg  

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-altroz-b5.jpg  

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-altroz-b6.jpg  

Last edited by S.MJet : 22nd January 2020 at 16:11.
S.MJet is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 16:40   #1570
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.MJet View Post
Petrol pricing is quite aggressive while for Diesel, sales in this segment is mere 13-15% as against 50% in Seltos/Hector segment. IMO there is no point getting aggressive for such low volumes.
Agreed about petrol pricing. But somehow I don't see masses buying the 3 pot Tata petrol engine over a refined Suzuki/Honda/Hyundai one for now. As good as it is - I think media reviews have put that doubt in people's minds already. (I have no problem with the engine. Its fine even in Tigor for that matter that I have driven quite a lot.)

Diesel was the key differentiator for the Altroz. The competition isn't going to be ready with it. A killer diesel pricing would have made a strong entry statement. More the cars selling at start - more the public interest & more the continued sales numbers. What is seen is what sells. Hence my earlier thoughts about optimistic launch pricing for the diesel. Wasted USP.

I feel some of the BSVI expense should have been absorbed for first 6 months as a "launch price". I'm sure thats what KIA, Ford are doing with their BSVI diesel engines. Prices will gradually go up. But by then people are already convinced about the product.

Last edited by Reinhard : 22nd January 2020 at 16:42.
Reinhard is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 16:58   #1571

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Agreed about petrol pricing. But somehow I don't see masses buying the 3 pot Tata petrol engine over a refined Suzuki/Honda/Hyundai one for now. As good as it is - I think media reviews have put that doubt in people's minds already. (I have no problem with the engine. Its fine even in Tigor for that matter that I have driven quite a lot.)
When I considered buying an entry level Hatchback a few months ago, Tiago was part of my initial shortlist along with Swift, Grand i10 and Figo. Most of the reviews of Tiago had the three cylinder engine as a negative point.

On top of that, one of my friends who owns a Tiago also was not very happy with the 3 cylinder engine. Mind you that I'm not very much aware of the technicalities

So, I'm quite unsure how this is going to work for a premium hatchback.
karthis91 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 19:20   #1572
BHPian

Sharing the screenshots from tata motors media release :
Attached Thumbnails
Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-ac246870bda840dd8f3302fca14346ae.jpeg  

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-f622e02e6093474da828eedb84e6be17.jpeg  

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-4cef72699ca340999004053e31fad45c.jpeg  

XRoader_001 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 19:22   #1573
Senior - BHPian

Others don't have a Diesel power-plant. Brezza Diesel will be phased out and the Nexon BS6 Diesel will be significantly more expensive. Yes one can always buy a BS 4 Diesel ( as I did last month), but that option will not be available after March.

Altroz may pull people who are interested in buying a Diesel as no other manufacturer will be offering a Diesel option ( Hyundai may do so, but it will be expensive).

I am pretty happy to with my decision to buy a BS 4 Ford Figo. Got mine at an ex showroom price of Rs 6.72 lakh. It has a stoker of en engine & has a 5 year warranty. It could have doe with a more upto date ICE system ( no Android Auto) but other than this, it is pretty well equipped.
rajneeesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 20:11   #1574
BHPian

Being a VW fan, I'm happy for a change that Tata has launched a Polo killer. The only thing left going for the Polo is the DSG.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 20:27   #1575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charanreddy View Post
Fantastic pricing and offering by Tata. Having gone through the Brochure in detail, The XT variant seems the most bang for your buck. Other than Auto AC, Rear AC Vents and Adjustable Driver Seat, It has all other features including the touch screen entertainment system.

I saw a top end gold color Altroz with black roof on my way back from work. It is jaw dropping awesome . The rear does not feel overdone at all and seamless integrates with the roof color.

I take my statement back, VFM be damned, just go for the top variant with black roof
charanreddy is offline   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks