Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2020, 09:07   #1606
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Shouldn't you call 'spade a spade' in the Hexa thread? Can we afford to harm a new launch? We are not advertisers, but we are not destroyers either. What will an 'informed buyer' do? He will stay away from Altroz, right? So if V1 wont sell, there wont be a V2. So yes, let the discussion on Altroz continue. Look forward to the official review. I was one of those buyers who bought the Indica V1 at launch, and had to hastily sell it. Held a grudge for over a decade, warning potential buyers. But the Nexon provided a strong VFM, I just could not ignore. The product has redeemed itself
Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post
Also, this forum isn't to advertise carmakers products. We are the ones who call a spade a spade. If Tata cannot build a decade old product satisfactorily, then it's their problem. And members and visitors alike need to be informed about how pathetic their QC still is after all the raving about 'gold standard'. An informed buyer will be more comfortable to deal with issues later on.
Sebring is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 09:11   #1607
BHPian

Re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Shouldn't you call 'spade a spade' in the Hexa thread?
Well then you could have done the same and posted your review on the Nexon thread.

If you expect people to buy the Altroz based on your single niggle free experience, I believe I have the right to inform them to be cautious and wait till the niggles/issues, if any, are ironed out and then buy the Altroz.
TROOPER is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 09:19   #1608
Senior - BHPian

Your case and my case are different. You picked up a 3 year old established product, but its unfortunate that you landed a lemon. I risked it at launch. That's what I'm trying to say here. This will be my last post in this regard. Let's peace out
Quote:
Well then you could have done the same and posted your review on the Nexon thread. If you expect people to buy the Altroz based on your single niggle free experience, I believe I have the right to inform them to be cautious and wait till the niggles/issues, if any, are ironed out and then buy the Altroz.
Sebring is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 09:20   #1609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I was one of those buyers who bought the Indica V1 at launch, and had to hastily sell it. Held a grudge for over a decade, warning potential buyers. But the Nexon provided a strong VFM, I just could not ignore. The product has redeemed itself
We bought the Indica V2 back in '03 or '04 and had issues with engine oil leaking, wheels getting distorted over rough bumps etc. Eventually sold it off and decided not to buy a TATA vehicle till it proves itself over a period of time.

Although I am still waiting for a really convincing product from their stable, products like the Zest, Tiago etc have proven to be decent and reliable. Though my complaint still is dealer manpower. I've had terrible experiences in that department, last one being with the test drive of a Tigor (which didn't even happen!). Wonder if people faced similar issues with the Harrier.

Last edited by ds.raikkonen : 24th January 2020 at 09:21.
ds.raikkonen is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 09:44   #1610
BHPian

Quote:
Well then you could have done the same and posted your review on the Nexon thread.
Oh man. This is an excellent comeback.

On a sidenote, I have seen this trend on Team bhp and especially YouTube where in members are attacked for posting negative experiences about Tata products. You will have a bunch of guys claiming to be owners (on YouTube) and actual owners (on Team bhp) telling the OP with the problem about how the car has been niggle free for them.

Looking at those comments that extoll the virtues of their amazing steeds instead of actually trying to help the owner makes me frustrated (can't imagine how the owners would feel).

I remember a post from a Tiago XZA owner who had AMT issues and posted about it on YouTube only for people to suggest that he should learn to drive (he was a team bhp member and someone on team bhp implied that AMT was for people with experience driving manual cars or something along those lines). Eventually TATA itself acknowledged that there was an issue and fixed it. That helped shut up the trolls.

Now I am sure that TATA is spending significant amounts of money on PR to attack and suppress negative reviews (there are members who accuse MG about the same on another active thread on team bhp so let's not pretend that TATA are saints here). Also, you would have our nationalists who want to completely ignore any and all issues with TATA/Mahindra because after all it's an INDIAN product. Not sure how a manufacturer is supposed to improve its product without genuine negative feedback.

Obviously some of those reviews would be malicious but unnecessarily attacking the genuine complaints will not bring TATA any good will.

TATA image of poor reliability and horrible QC is something that they have earned over the years. This will take years to get rid off but they only have themselves to blame for it.

I am not trying to start a debate here but just wanted to let the TATA backers know that this attitude is not going to suddenly convince potential buyers as some seem to believe. Also, it's only going to piss off the existing owner with the issue.

Note: Now I know some of our esteemed members will respond and ask why I don't go into Maruti and Hyundai threads and berate them for poor build quality (an amazing example of whatsaboutism). My response is that I don't even have any Maruti or Hyundai product in consideration for the same reason. I am interested only in structurally strong products. There, I saved you boys some time.

Last edited by JithinR : 24th January 2020 at 09:56.
JithinR is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 10:03   #1611
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCar View Post
The Gold color certainly stands out, and in a good way. And is very classy.
So, Gold color makes a comeback. I had a Golden Zen in 2000 and that was one of the hottest color in those days.

Picture clicked by me of my own car.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-zen.jpg  

mukeshgoel is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 10:27   #1612
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata Altroz deliveries start – Petrol more in demand than diesel.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 10:49   #1613
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds.raikkonen View Post
Although I am still waiting for a really convincing product from their stable, products like the Zest, Tiago etc have proven to be decent and reliable. Though my complaint still is dealer manpower. I've had terrible experiences in that department, last one being with the test drive of a Tigor (which didn't even happen!). Wonder if people faced similar issues with the Harrier.
Tata's manpower is not and perhaps will never be convincing. However their machines are indeed too convincing now. I too have similar experience with dealership. But all clouds went away as soon as I TDed the Tiago and Nexon. I respect their engineering and not human behavior
rajivtelang is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 11:19   #1614
BHPian

Great pricing, BS VI at the cost of BS IV is the key, (at least in my opinion), and this would change the mind from "kitna deta hein" to "how safe it is"
I wish this product get the numbers clicking.
Old 24th January 2020, 11:26   #1615
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
I love the red Color with black combination. A powerful engine would have made this as a super hatch and a good competition to Polo TSI
anumod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 11:38   #1616
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anumod View Post
I love the red Color with black combination. A powerful engine would have made this as a super hatch and a good competition to Polo TSI
Nothing from the segment compares to Polo, even with a better engine Altroz can't be compared to Polo, for me Polo is the best hatch in India around 10 lakh rupees. VW's designs are ageless, Altroz's design is good but not as ageless as Polo. Tata at the moment could not afford to have conservative and classy designs like VW, it needs to stand out and that's what they are doing. Anyhow eagerly waiting for a JTP version of Altroz.
wheelguy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 12:26   #1617
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
Nothing from the segment compares to Polo, even with a better engine Altroz can't be compared to Polo, for me Polo is the best hatch in India around 10 lakh rupees. VW's designs are ageless, Altroz's design is good but not as ageless as Polo. Tata at the moment could not afford to have conservative and classy designs like VW, it needs to stand out and that's what they are doing. Anyhow eagerly waiting for a JTP version of Altroz.
The same timeless design is being called "Bland" by quite a lot of folks. 10 years since the launch, my eyes are tired looking at the same design. All new cars from VW stable(including Audi) looks old/boring to me now. Millennial's in particular like something trendy and are done with straight lines!
PrideRed is online now   (28) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 20:35   #1618
Senior - BHPian

I had not checked out the Altroz so made a beeway to meet this beauty. The car looks fantastic, with space carved out pretty well. The cabin, the front fascia, boot space was excellent. This is the deepest grey, bordering on black. The gold has not been captured well and I tried to see it in a different light. It's really stunning to see in person. Very posh!
Attached Thumbnails
Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-img_4708.jpg  

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-img_4709.jpg  

Sebring is online now   (47) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 21:41   #1619
BANNED

Today I got a chance to see and feel Altroz briefly. Having owned only Maruti and Honda, it was great feeling to experience a heavy door and the reassuring ‘thud’ while closing. I noticed the absence of rubber strips at both edges of the roof. Has TATA also mastered the art of ‘neat welding’ like VW, may be utilising laser welding. The rear door handle operation requires a learning curve, as it is not conventionally placed. The rear handle is not as flimsy as I expected (yes, my cousin has the new Swift), in fact felt it was made to last long.

The one gripe that I felt was, the rear suspension mounts inside the boot was not properly concealed even on the top variant. A flexible rubber material is used to hide the suspension mounts and it does not look good.

All in all, a very good effort by TATA, and hope the car taste success in our market.

Note : sorry no pictures, as photography is not allowed inside TCS campuses.

Last edited by pavi : 24th January 2020 at 21:47.
pavi is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 25th January 2020, 00:54   #1620
Senior - BHPian

I checked put the Altroz at my local TATA dealer where i purchased my Nano car and was i impressed with the car?. The Altroz is simply stunning at first sight especially the front view and then as i kept staring at the rear i wondered if there was just too much of black plastic cover and the instrument dial looked straight out of a 1987 Olds Cutlass. Other than these two downers i like the fit and finish, the sound of the doors shutting which is reassuring and the front and side view is rad. The interior and console too is just right.

The Altroz is a super hatch and i hope the indian car buyers will buy it in enough numbers to keep the cash registers ringing. I'm ready to buy one myself and the only reason i would is if there is an automatic transmission option available. Sadly there isn't. Why, TATA Motors?.
nickatnite is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed