Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2020, 13:41   #1681
BHPian

Re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarthiksr View Post
Tata Altroz AMT To Launch Soon
  • Select Tata dealers across the country have started accepting bookings for the Altroz AMT
Am I the only one who's getting a bad feeling about this? Launching an AMT is sure not going to sound right with the tagline 'Gold Standard'. I sure hope this is the best AMT tune in the business.
Old 31st January 2020, 13:44   #1682
BHPian

Re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

First No auto gearbox then no JTP, now they want to add AMT, what’s wrong with TML?
Did their research wing not anticipate the need for auto gearbox, now they want to have a stop gap approach, these kind of decisions will kill this worthy product sooner than expected.

Last edited by arvindmanju : 31st January 2020 at 13:45.
Old 31st January 2020, 13:57   #1683
KMT
BHPian

I saw the car yesterday and it does look hot.

When the competition in this budget is generally offering AMT, its not reasonable for Tata to go for something more expensive and price themselves out of the market.

In addition to cost, each other tech as its own 'issues' DCT will give tech grief, torque converter will give lower mileage, CVT will give lazy acceleration.

We have an AMT Ignis Petrol, run 40k Kms that is used for the kids school run, no real issues once you figure how to use manual option and gentle with the accelerator pedal.

'Gold Standard' refers to this budget segment, at this price you are not buying a Rolls.

Last edited by KMT : 31st January 2020 at 14:01.
KMT is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 14:02   #1684
SR7
BHPian

Quote:
  • Select Tata dealers across the country have started accepting bookings for the Altroz AMT
  • The AMT gearbox will be offered with both petrol and diesel engines
  • Tata is also working on a dual-clutch automatic for the Altroz.
  • A turbocharged petrol engine is also in the works.
Source: https://www.cardekho.com/india-car-n...soon-24994.htm
This sounds like it could be a stop-gap arrangement until they get the DCT to market - most prospective city buyers would have been put off by the lack of an AT and the dealers would've passed on the feedback to TML - since the Altroz's engine is based on the Tiago engine, TML can easily put in an AMT faster to not lose out on prospective sales for the time being. If this news article is true, TML are being pro-active to feedback received / demand and providing the best solution immediately now to help sale numbers of Altroz. They would then launch the 1.2L turbo engine from the Nexon at a later stage - Q4 2020 - paired with an MT or more likely the DCT as a premium positioned XZ+ variant. I'm unsure about the future of the JTP variant as of now, given the latest rumors about JTSV being dissolved.
SR7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 14:17   #1685
Senior - BHPian

OMG! A DCT? Why Tata, why? Haven't you heard of DCT issues? DSG or DCT have afflicted every car they sat in. We have seen VAG cars and now Kia/Hyundai. As it is there is no dearth of Tata-bashers. Imagine a Tata car having DCT issue. Rather than the DCT, the car will get the blame.

Why not a torque converter or CVT? These two types are extremely reliable. They must also ditch AMT.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 31st January 2020 at 14:31. Reason: Typo.
pgsagar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 14:35   #1686
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
When the competition in this budget is generally offering AMT, its not reasonable for Tata to go for something more expensive and price themselves out of the market.
Not really, baleno, i20 and jazz all offer cvt. Ford offers dct and the Polo dsg. AMT is offered in the lower segment with the i10, swift etc
bf1983 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 14:42   #1687
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf1983 View Post
Not really, baleno, i20 and jazz all offer cvt. Ford offers dct and the Polo dsg. AMT is offered in the lower segment with the i10, swift etc
One small correction, Ford offers a TQ in the current generation of figo/aspire. This variant though is no longer available in India.
JithinR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 17:02   #1688

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeleri_Achu View Post
Am I the only one who's getting a bad feeling about this? Launching an AMT is sure not going to sound right with the tagline 'Gold Standard'. I sure hope this is the best AMT tune in the business.
The new gen santro seems to be having the best AMT in business with the electronic actuators as described in its official review.
I believe we can only realistically expect the same Tiago and Nexon AMT here.

A better 'Gold Standard' would have been a CVT in the NA variant for the mileage conscious masses and a DCT in the turbo one for the enthusiasts. But that's too much to hope for as Tata may need to develop both from scratch for the segment.
Old 31st January 2020, 17:54   #1689
BHPian

Quote:
  • The AMT gearbox will be offered with both petrol and diesel engines
  • A turbocharged petrol engine is also in the works.
Source: https://www.cardekho.com/india-car-n...soon-24994.htm
The article has been updated now. The newer update has changed the timeline to end-2020 or early 2021.

Quote:
  • The AMT gearbox option is expected by end-2020 or early 2021
If AMT is going to come only this year end, when will DCT come? Probably this news is hearsay and we should probably wait for better clarity.
skarthiksr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 20:38   #1690
SR7
BHPian

The link is not working now - it just redirects to the news page section of CarDekho. Looks like they have pulled it down as they themselves appear confused as to why is happening. I had a slight foreboding about it’s authenticity the way it was presented.

Last edited by SR7 : 31st January 2020 at 20:42.
SR7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 21:18   #1691
BHPian

The news was fake. Over optimistic dealers taking bookings that has nothing to do with actual production plans.
Dieselritzer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 21:54   #1692
BHPian

Took a short test drive of the petrol top end varaint today. Contrary to my expectations, the NVH levels were quite acceptable. We were three inside. Because of traffic, I could not take the car beyond 90 kmph. Till that speed, the power of the car is not bad at all. Regular family person will not notice lack of grunt till that speed. Space in side was good. The dash board is set at a higher position. I like low set dashboards as in my Verna, which helps in visibility greatly. Diesel TD vehicle has not come & as understood, it will be available in couple of days. No glaring ergonomics issues found, though would have liked the steering to go further down. Felt at little higher position even at lowest point, when seat height was at lowest point too. Sound output was excellent & there is no need to upgrade. Looks smashing all round, but too much of black treatment at rear. It looks a bit weird for me. Ingress & egress was easy. I compared this aspect with a Nexon parked side by, but Altroz was better. The height of the front & rear seats is just right for easy ingress/egress.

Gear shifting was short and smooth. Accelarator pedal is set at a very conveniently low position. Cluth was light.

This is a solid product for Tata & can be a real game changer for them. Very difficult to find something which is a real deal breaker. It can find buyers from a wide range of customers. Tata must focus on quality service & strong marketing of Altroz. It has all the ingredients to become a huge sucess, as a product. But it is still a Tata......
Chitta Pradhan is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 22:13   #1693
BHPian

Took a pretty good test drive of the Tata Altroz Petrol XZ(O).
The drive was with 4 people and through some mixed road conditions. Car seems pretty stable and has a nice ride. Also did drive on some broken patches of road and a pretty good gradient with some dips and humps also. Tried stopping and climbing halfway on the slope. With a slight clutch slipping and accelerator input, the car climbed. Though it had some vibration felt. AC was on the whole time.
Good thing is the car didn’t scrape the underside (road wasn’t entirely bad either). Acceleration on level roads is decent. Don’t expect pinned to the seat effect. Not even close. You will need to drop gears for overtaking. Overall front and side visibility is good. Rearward visibility is on the lower side. Slow speed ride on broken roads felt a little jiggly, but nothing to complain about. Sound insulation is good. Engine and road noise are also minimal.
Reverse camera was average. Instrument cluster displays if wheels are not straight while starting off. Steering is light with some fluidity. Gear shift felt a little notchy. Clutch is light. Those 90 degree opening doors are super useful but on the flip side need to be careful while opening to the road side with traffic, other drivers might not expect such a wide opening door.
I felt the rear indicators are kept a little sunken inside. I wonder whether a bus or truck driver tailgating (common in India) will be able to see it.

Good paint finish
Wide opening doors are helpful
Awesome Infotainment System
Pretty informative Instrument cluster.
Nice to have a 4 factory customization scheme. Good work Tata!
Bonnet heavier than expected.
Little less piano black on the outside would have been preferred.
Thank god for keeping Chrome the minimum.
Foot well are spacious with a nice dead pedal
Utility hook on passenger side
Almost flat rear floor
ORVMs has auto fold and unfold feature.

Dislikes:
Auto variant is missing. Should be there from the launch itself.
That digital tacho is not a pleasing sight. Needle feels like something is incomplete. A longer and a contrasting one please….
Dashboard could have been a couple of notches lower
Missing auto dimming IRVM
Missing split rear seats
Telescopic steering
Shark fin antenna could have been nicer. Even the present antenna moved rearwards would have been better
A couple of more inches slide from that armrest would have been nice.
Sunglass holder (if it is one) isn’t soft lined and looked narrow with rough feeling. Scratches can be expected.
Spare is a steel wheel.
Wish that wearable key band had a time on it.

Overall a wonderfull effort from Tata.
RideRanger is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 1st February 2020, 12:03   #1694
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCents View Post
I've a question for those who will be going for a test drive soon - either this weekend or next week. Can you guys exactly measure the recline angle for rear seat of both Altroz and Nexon? From the photos and videos, it seems that the rear seats in Altroz are more upright as compared to Nexon which will make long distance journey uncomfortable for rear passengers.
I am not sure one can judge the comfort level by the recline angle. From my experience, too upright or too reclined can both be uncomfortable. Besides, it can vary from person to person too. I have a nexon and nobody has complained so far about this, although the verticle movement due to the long suspension is a big factor (not related to your point).
prakash_ajp is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2020, 12:14   #1695
BHPian

In my opinion, Tata has to bring in the turbo petrol fast. They've put their money on the diesel but 100% of the people I know are only interested with the petrol, for some reason. Also, a lot of the test drives I see here from members are also of the petrol. Is it because diesels are not yet in dealerships for test drives or is it because there is an actual lack of interest?

Last edited by SaiSW : 1st February 2020 at 12:23.
SaiSW is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks