Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2020, 21:28   #1726
BHPian

Re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
The only chink in the armour I feel is the lacklustre petrol engine.
There will soon be an Altroz Turbo for sure!

Took the TD today and found that the 3-cylinder is quite ok for city usage but doesn't feel refined enough to take on highway level rpms confidently. Engine noise is also a bit intrusive.

Overall full marks to Tata for bringing a solid entry into the segment. I feel the development bench marking has been done on all the 3 cars of the segment; Baleno (space), i20 (features) and Polo (build quality), with catchy design being the added icing on the cake.

This has a good potential, but why no Auto?

Some other quirks observed:

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-img20200209wa0007_1581261288643.jpg
The Piano black finish is excessive and is a dust and scratch magnet on the exteriors. The color is smashing though, turns heads, as if it is an alien ship!

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-img20200209wa0006.jpg
The vanity mirrors are not covered nor illuminated nor available for the Driver. A bit short on the premium touch. The sunglass holder is all but useless. The roof fabric though, Business class!

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-img20200209wa0009.jpg
Polo type, push to lock and pull to open door levers, never imagined Tata will adopt this European touch. Our kids don't always sit around in child seats and may open the same. And that too 90°!

Also the grab handle is quite thick and has a cavity which could have been closed to put phone etc. Now, You may unknowingly drop stuff it in it and it will drop to the cup holders in the bottom. Also, No cup holder cavity in the middle armrest.

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-img20200209wa0010.jpg
The front is the 'WoW' Factor. Nicely chiseled and very aggressive. But is it just me who feels that the High beam will not be 'High' enough owing to the piano Black (sic) edges and inset projector lamps. Can't see the lamps at my eye level. Will be good for pedestrians though.
And do check the VW type wiper blades! Learn Maruti !

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-img20200209wa0008_1581261289392.jpg
And finally the interiors! Very pleasing and unique cabin with lots of space.
Sat in the front passenger seats and the ambient lighting, silver finished dashboard and the longish bonnet view felt very posh.
Only odd thing was that i felt i was responsible of pulling the handbrake rather than the driver, it's that close!
On the driver seat, the console display is crisp and detailed, only felt that the cluster is a bit small and could be set at 120%.
Driver seat is nice and supportive, closing the 90 degree doors is a task though. Chrome highlight on the ORVM is delicious!

Overall the experience was good, and this was just 1 of the 5 other new TATA cars on the showroom floor. They really are on a Roll !

Came back mighty impressed! But i am waiting to buy a diesel, no TD available yet.
Moto$apien is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 00:16   #1727
BHPian

Re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Couldn't resist having another look at this beauty and had a quick stop at a Tata showroom on the way. It was pretty crowded and was in a rush, so didn't drive it. It sure attracts attention in that lovely Gold shade. Clicked some pictures to keep drooling over
Attached Thumbnails
Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-img_0026.jpg  

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-img_0030.jpg  

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-img_0031.jpg  

Djay is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 09:00   #1728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveOnceMore View Post
Smart rear wash and wipe means, when your front wipers are running and you then engage reverse gear, the rear wiper automatically gets activated.
Once you again forward or neutral, rear wiper stops.
Not really. The smart rear wiper means when the wiper is on auto mode and you reverse from a dry parking into rain, the rear wiper comes on automatically and when you drive forward the rear wiper stops and the front wipers switch on. This is a feature copied from the Hexa. The auto switching of rear wiper when the front was engaged was available on the 2010 Safari dicor onwards.
AirbusCapt is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 11:37   #1729
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto$apien View Post
Polo type, push to lock and pull to open door levers, never imagined Tata will adopt this European touch. Our kids don't always sit around in child seats and may open the same. And that too 90°!
Correction: Polo doesn't get push to lock type door latch. In fact, the front doors can be opened any time; they are virtually 'always unlocked' from inside. While for the rear ones, one has to pull twice if the car is locked. First pull results in nothing and second one opens the door as well as unlocks the entire car. I give a -5 points (let them lose it) to VW for this BTW.

Quote:
Came back mighty impressed! But i am waiting to buy a diesel, no TD available yet.
I too have seen the Altroz on the road twice, during the day time it looks smashing. But in the slight dark (6-7 pm) or say dusk; it looks out of the world - one would keep on ogling at it at that time at least
VKumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 16:26   #1730
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The sunglass holder is all but useless.
The whole roof console is actually a straight lift and shift from Nexon. During the multiple facelifts of the Nexon, Tata renamed that sun glass holder as "Wallet holder" and removed the felt lining inside it. In my car the goggles are the only rattling thing. I'm going to do a DIY felt liner installation in it soon.
Quote:
Even I feel the pull to open inner door latches are not for India. But in reality its more of a psychological thing really. A kid who can pull the latch can also pull the unlock latch. The locks are only to ensure the doors can't be opened from outside who we want to keep out.
As a design it is correct because by default it is imperative that kids are safely buckled up & secured in child / booster seats & the rear seat child-locks are activated when there are kids in the car.

Having a 5 star safety certified car means absolutely nothing if the kids are unsecured & can bounce around in case of an accident.

Last edited by Reinhard : 10th February 2020 at 16:27.
Reinhard is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 17:50   #1731
BHPian

Adding some pics that I managed to capture when the car was showcased in Lulu Mall, Kochi.
Car looks stunning in person:

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-img_20200202_135432.jpg

I liked the slanting lip. Adds some premium looks:

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-img_20200202_135452.jpg

Liked this particular theme of ICE. This particular part looks copy paste from Nexon:

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-img_20200202_135840_1.jpg

Cabin insulation was also good(in parked state). Overall cabin looks premium. No turn offs as such. My wife was bit hurry. Obviously didn't got time to take check out more in detail.

Last edited by K_Drive : 10th February 2020 at 17:51.
K_Drive is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 18:53   #1732
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Having a 5 star safety certified car means absolutely nothing if the kids are unsecured & can bounce around in case of an accident.
This is a relevant point. We don't bat an eyelid before questioning the manufacturer for compromising on safety features but look the other way every day when we see friends and family driving around with kids in the front seats with no seat belts. It's imperative that car companies follow TATA and atleast show an interest in improving the safety standard of our cars. We too must do our part. What I like about the gold standard promotion is that as buyers we are being provided a new perspective that is beyond the kitna deti Hain approach. People now are talking about safety and GNCAP. This will make a difference.
chittybang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 12:22   #1733
BHPian

Recieved this as WhatsApp forward. This must be the first time any one is offering unlimited km warranty for 5 years in this segment!
Attached Thumbnails
Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-img20200213wa00122.jpg  

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 13th February 2020 at 15:39. Reason: Typo.
damodar is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 14:48   #1734
BHPian

Why is the diesel not available yet? Are they waiting for BS6 fuel to be made available everywhere or something? Diesel Altroz still not available at dealerships. Atleast not in dealerships in my district.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 13th February 2020 at 15:39. Reason: Please capitalize first letter of names.
Old 13th February 2020, 15:47   #1735
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
Why is the diesel not available yet? Are they waiting for BS6 fuel to be made available everywhere or something? Diesel Altroz still not available at dealerships. Atleast not in dealerships in my district.
The reason what TML is giving is un-availability of BS6 Diesel fuel in the market is holding them from delivering their BS 6 compliant diesel cars like Nexon facelift and Altroz.
DriveOnceMore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2020, 13:10   #1736
Team-BHP Support

I saw the top end Altroz in black shade and boy o boy, I think, it is one of the, if not, *the* best looking hatchback available in India right now. Other hatches are too mundane or try to impress, but not this, looks like a Peugeot and certainly a car with some Italian pedigree.

If a car can wow you with its looks, this is one strong contender. If any of you are considering this, I am unsure of how engine is, but suspension etc [as well as build quality] should be sorted, please do have a look and get it in black if you can.
Sheel is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 16th February 2020, 13:30   #1737
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I saw the top end Altroz in black shade and boy o boy, I think, it is one of the, if not, *the* best looking hatchback available in India right now. Other hatches are too mundane or try to impress, but not this, looks like a Peugeot and certainly a car with some Italian pedigree.
The car is a looker for sure, in all available colors.

Altroz is not available in Black, may be you saw it in Grey or may be it was a Black wrap.
wheelguy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th February 2020, 14:14   #1738
Senior - BHPian

My state of mind at different times of the Altroz's development -

When the Concept car was unveiled two years ago - Oh wow! looks smashing. I really think Tata is on the right direction with this one.

When we spotted camouflaged spy pictures - Look at that steeply raked windscreen! whoa that car looks like no other Tata car on the road today and it looks very long too. Something interesting is brewing at the Tata factory!

When the first un-camouflaged spy pictures were online - The rear looks overdone, sort of like the Volvo V40, but a car from this segment ant carry it off. What? Piano black belt-line? What were they thinking? The Hyundai i20 looks rather nice on its own, so nothing too special with this one.

When the technical specs were revealed - Man, I really thought they would get the engines from Nexon into this one. Now there is nothing special about this car anymore, how will it stand out in that fiercely competed segment now? Tata really missed a huge opportunity here.

When the media test drive reviews were out - Its an ok car, only stand out feature are the doors that open 90 degrees, but how is that 'selling point'? Salesmen are going to look stupid if they want to sell it based on that alone. But the red colour looks quite sporty.

When I saw the Altroz in real life - WOW ! What a looker!! Tata has really nailed the styling on this one. Stunning design, kudos Prathap Bose

A test drive Altroz in gold shade was making a u-turn as I was crossing the junction, and it was so damn attractive and I couldn't take my eyes off it! I slowed down and waited for it to arrive again ad followed it for about 200 meters, and the i20 that drove beside it completely paled in comparison. It really was love at first sight
If I were in the market to replace my love, I surely would be at a Tata showroom first.

Last edited by aravind.anand : 16th February 2020 at 14:16.
aravind.anand is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 16th February 2020, 17:51   #1739
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
, and the i20 that drove beside it completely paled in comparison. It really was love at first sight lol.
Now this is something which clearly explains how fantastic the Altroz scores with the looks.

An i20(which is among the best designs and lookers in the segment) looking ordinary in front of altroz.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 16th February 2020 at 17:56.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2020, 20:06   #1740
BHPian

I went to check out the Altroz and couldn't stop ogling at it. It is fantastic in every way. I'm gonna wait a few months and if there is no turbo petrol by then I'll bite the bullet and get a diesel. My low usage doesn't warrant a diesel but I want the Altroz and the NA 3 cyl just does not cut it.

Last edited by Roy.S : 16th February 2020 at 20:10. Reason: Typo
Roy.S is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed