Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2020, 20:31   #1741
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Saw a new gold Altroz today in person. Looks great. Nice squat sporty stance. The rear looks better in person as does the digital MID screen. The engine was silent at idle atleast. Very solid looking car and fit and finish was good inside as well as out
Old 16th February 2020, 20:49   #1742
BHPian

Re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
An i20(which is among the best designs and lookers in the segment) looking ordinary in front of altroz.
No doubts about the design of the Altroz, but probably we should wait for the new i20 to show up to give it a fair chance against the Altroz. Everything said & done, the current i20 is a good 5-6 year old model and had its fair share of run & surely has gotten old in terms of design.
Going by the renders & camouflaged images the new i20 won’t be a radical departure from the current model, will surely have a few elemental tweaks to keep it fresh!
ashvek3141 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 00:01   #1743
Vmv
BHPian

A Typical delivery at Kerala !

Source : FB respective Owner

It's a surprise that none of our members bought one !

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1618...3408554741248/
Attached Thumbnails
Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-fb_img_1581877488359.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 18th February 2020 at 07:53. Reason: Typo corrected, thanks
Vmv is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 08:04   #1744
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmv View Post
A Typical delivery at Kerala !

Source : FB respective Owner

It's a surprise that none of our members brought one !
I would have bought one but in May 2019 I brought home a Tiago NRG due to urgent reasons.
Old 17th February 2020, 08:47   #1745
BHPian

Altroz gold color, with punch line the "gold standard" is a crowd stopper. Saw one near RPC lay out, absolutely stunning. Baleno looks Plain and Jane in front of Altroz. This car has every opportunity, Karma, luck and chance to run at 10K a month, given the market is there as shown already by i20, i20 Active and Baleno. Eagerly looking at Feb 2020 numbers!
pogo0120 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 10:00   #1746
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys, please check this thread. Would be extremely grateful if we can borrow your Altroz .

Please reply on that thread as I'm not monitoring this thread. Thanks for the support & understanding
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 20:00   #1747
BHPian

ata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post
But the plus side was there was zero arrogance or rudeness from company officials or TASS. Cannot stress enough how a kind attitude can help a customer keep calm even when there's no conclusion coming to an issue.

Is there a transformation going on? Maybe yes. But even in this transitional fiasco they need to ensure that certain issues and requirements cannot be overlooked. Proactiveness is required. What's the point of all the effort, even if sincere, if such threads keep popping up every month?
I absolutely agree with what you are saying. Whatever is going on inside the organisation should not affect the end-user. All i wanted was to provide an insight of what the situation is. I missed to mention one point in my previous post, they have battling with really high attrition over the past couple of years.

In line with the thread, i drove the Altroz petrol last week and here are my impressions on the short five kilometers drive:

1. Looks stylish and funky at the same time. I kind of liked it, but a colleague who was accompanying me, even though younger to me, did not seem to like it much. I feel, without the black bits in the belt line, the car would have looked very mature. They could have sold the same as an accessory may be?

2. The dealer had sent the vehicle to my office. The sales representatives were very polished and well versed in English, and i felt i was dealing with a Volkswagen dealer staff. They were very courteous and well informed. Sat inside and shut the door. "What was that?", I though. To reconfirm, i opened the door and closed it again and was super surprised! It does not sound that good even in cars two segments above. Well done!

3. I looked around, and did not find much to complain about the interiors from the driver's seat. However, when i sat in the passenger's seat and was tinkering with the glove box, i found it extremely unintuitive to open. The button had no feel and was clumsy to operate. The glove box door itself had sharp unfinished edges on the inside. Seriously affects the overall experience.

4. Started the engine, and there was not much shake inside the cabin with negligible vibrations at idle. But the moment i pulled out of the parking, a lot of vibrations (a lot) filtered in through the steering wheel. I stopped, and tried starting from standstill again, and it was all the same. I do not recall the same happening in a friend's Tiago. Too bad. For slow speeds, it feels alright. But the moment you try pushing it even a little, it starts complaining. The vehicle simply needs a powerful engine. The car itself is heavy, and with four people aboard, it struggled quite a bit. Revving the motor does not help either. We could hear the three cylinder thrum as early as 2500 rpms. It is no sweet 1.2 Dragon Figo sound. It was somewhat like a stressed diesel (somewhat). I am not sure if that was the case with the TD vehicle only, or it is present in general, but the Nexon and Tiago sure feels more refined in terms of engine noise from the petrol motor.

5. The steering was nice, light and direct. Could not take it to very high speeds to check how it weighs up, but during the entire drive, the car felt extremely sure-footed. Yes, the suspension is stiff at low speeds, but i am okay to deal with that kind of stiffness over a floaty and nervous ride (my KTM has made me immune to stiff ride quality over the years )

6. Popped the hood to have a look, and although every bit inside the engine bay was painted and felt solidly put together (unlike a Honda engine bay), we found a lot of sharp edges around the apron area. Again, ruins the experience a little.

7. The doors open 90 degrees as we all know. Crazy. Call me stupid, but they reminded me of how the doors of the Tempo/Force Matador used to open.

8. Did not have much time to check the other bits, and also did not want to explore much since i was already disappointed with the engine.

Tata Motors is not very strict with their vendors, and that is a big reason for the lack of uniformity amongst cars produced between not so distant batches.

Regards!

Last edited by Sheel : 17th February 2020 at 20:59.
shankha007 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 21:07   #1748
BHPian

Mods, i had posted about the above drive experience in another thread. By the time i posted it here, the post from the other thread was already was moved here. Please remove the quoted part and the subsequent reply as this has no connection to the post. Please start from "In line".. Thanks.
Old 18th February 2020, 03:39   #1749
BHPian

Saw the car in flesh and some of the pics here, it's just drool worthy. Like some one said, it's like nothing else out there. I was in the market for an SUV upgrade for my 5yo Punto after seeing the Altroz, am tempted to see if it can fit my requirements.

The fly in the ointment obviously, seems to be the mediocre engine, and few missing features; auto ivrm for example, given it carries the Gold standard label. Can this be an upgrade over the Punto ?
anand.shankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 05:09   #1750
BHPian

Hello Team-BHP members!
I test drove the petrol Altroz 3 days back, and here are a few positives and negatives.

Positives:
1. Build - superb thud upon closing the doors.
2. Space - surprisingly spacious.
3. Ride and handling - drove on bad patches and highway, car didn't disappoint.

Negatives

1. Engine NVH - Didn't feel refined during start up, not sure what good the balancer shaft is doing? Once on the move though, the vibes did reduce but engine note felt harsh. This point alone could be a deal breaker for many petrol buyers. I would pick the i20 over the altroz for NVH alone!

2. Engine Performance - I'm not sure, but the same engine felt peppier in the Tiago, could it be the lower weight advantage of the smaller car?

3. Under thigh Support - Rear seats have a short base, so under thigh support felt lesser than competitors.

Really wanted this car to be a huge success, but a poor engine will spoil it for TATA. TATA must bring the 1.2 turbo from the Nexon asap. Perspective buyers in this segment should wait for the upcoming i20 and then take a decision.
John316_WRC is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 17:57   #1751

Hello friends and fellow forum members! This is my first post on Team-bhp forum and I would like to share with you all my user review of the Tata Altroz (delivery date, 03/02/2020). The reason I’m sharing this review is because I have been reading up stuff on Team BHP during my research into the purchase of a new car and have been following this thread. Hence, I felt I could give back to this community by posting my review.

My background:

I’m a Bangalore based physician and medical college prof by profession; in terms of my knowledge of cars, I’m not an enthusiast, rather an ‘aam aadmi customer’ who owned a 2009 model Wagon-r vxi until 2 weeks back (purchased from my dad), which served me quite well for day to day purposes, but never drove it inter-city because of its fragility. Hence, I may make errors or commit gaffes in this review. Please pardon me for this, I’m a competent physician, but not competent at this. However, I promise a honest, candid review. I started thinking of buying a new car roughly a year ago and started reading and understanding some technical details to be paid attention to. I decided on a new buy as soon as I noticed that Tata Nexon had scored 5 stars in the global NCAP.

Therefore, my motivation and key considerations while buying a new car can be summed up as follows –

1) Safety - my parents and grandma live in another city and are now old, so sudden inter-city travel frequent of late.
2) Safety - have been tail-gated once and narrowly escaped.
3) Safety - motor accidents are an important preventable public health problem and I believe the market must change it’s mindset with a sense of urgency.
4) Better ride comfort and driving experience – endured too much body roll and getting shaken up on Bengaluru’s dynamic roads in the tallboy.
5) Engine reliability, but not performance in terms of acceleration/speed.
6) Budgetary consideration - < Rs.9 lakh, top-model preferred.

Prologue:

I decided to wait for the Altroz in May last year, when word got out that it would be based on a new, stronger chassis and that it would be a premium hatch (my preferred car design type – frankly, I love the design of the Baleno and the VW Polo). As I waited it out however, I was swayed by the following cars – (i) Tata Nexon – Not a fan of the design and of SUVs, top model beyond budget (ii) Mahindra TUV300 – I rather liked it’s tough tank like looks. However, it wasn’t safety rated and wouldn’t make for a good city ride. (iii) Mahindra XUV300 – wasn’t safety rated at the time, over the budget, (iii) Vitara Brezza – 4 stars, decided to wait for the Altroz. I drove a friend’s VW Polo but was concerned about the poor rear space and poor after sales. Baleno was called a tin can on most forums and so did not fulfil my primary objective. As glimpses of the Altroz were released, I realized that by strength of design and the promised safety quotient, the Altroz should be given a serious chance; it was also my patriotic side speaking.

After checking out all the expert reviews of Altroz on Youtube post December Jaisalmer launch, I was still undecided, since the NCAP ratings were not out. In fact, I posted on the Zigwheels Youtube page that I would go in for the car, provided the crash tests were done and the Altroz scored at least a 4. And then came the 5 star result, I went to the showroom the next day and booked a diesel top end, expecting it to be < 10L. However, when on-road prices for Bengaluru were released, I thought the better (post ‘reasoning’ with wife) and booked the petrol. Since the petrol engine is carried over from the reliable Tiago and petrol BS6 engine tech is less complex, I thought it would also be a better bet in terms of reliability.

Review:

Purchased the car from KHT Motors Domlur. The sales staff were quite enthusiastic and had been adequately trained. They told me the footfalls had increased since the launch, indeed the showroom was full. Got the car delivered within 5 working days of paying the full amount. The car is gold and black dual tone XZ (O).

Now cutting to the chase:

The car has been with me for a week now. Drove for first 4 days and 200 kms in the city, back and forth to work under terrible traffic and road conditions (Koramangala area, imagine the worst since there’s road and plumbing work on-going everywhere, average speed around 9 kmph). Over the weekend, drove 450 kms back and forth to Belur/ Halebeedu in Hassan district on a great highway. Frugal driving, speed mostly between 70 – 100 kmph, topping at 120 kmph. So, kitna deti hai? – 15.6 kmpl over the past week; averaging around 21.5 over the long distance trip and 9.5 in the city. I’m fine with this.

Ride quality, handling, engine:

Positives –
Whatever they said in the video reviews is all true – the car soaks up the bumps. Apart from bad city roads, we travelled on mud roads near Halebeedu, winding roads and modest inclines. The car felt solidly planted and the steering, responsive at all times. Out on the highway, my confidence soared and I took the car few times to 120 kmph, for the first time in my life. The braking was adequately powerful, the car stopping dead in line and steadily. The car is sufficiently agile in the city and on the highway for my liking. In the city, it lets you effectively exploit gaps in traffic conditions. There’s near pin drop silence in the car in city traffic and the engine is pretty silent too (more on this later). On the highway, it could compete effectively with the Duster, Baleno, lower end VW Polo, Toyota etios etc in terms of speed. Overtaking heavy vehicles, never a problem.

Also, much has been discussed about the lack of an AMT. I don’t miss it, neither do I have a preference for it. I have gone all around Koramangala comfortably on the 2nd gear with my feet resting most of the time on the rest pedal (which is a bit too broad though). The clutch, when depressed is also soft. Have not experienced any knee fatigue until now. I have not yet used the cruise control buttons.

Negatives –
Feels underpowered on moderate inclines when starting from 0 in traffic. No visible vibrations, but palpable mild vibrations in the gear lever and foot pedals when giving early throttle inputs on gears 1,2,3. Engine has a very low pitched growl when providing throttle inputs at RPMs upto 3000. This noise, I liked very much and so did my family members. But, between 3k – 4k rpms, the sound keeps getting harsh and > 4k, downright noisy. The noise I felt is a limiting factor while accelerating and attaining high speeds. The sweet spot, IMO, is between 2000 to 3500 rpm.

Interiors:

I’m in love with the interiors, in fact much more so than the exterior. I love the spartan, utilitarian interior dash design; people who checked out the car had the same opinion. All the buttons and levers are where they should be and the buttons have great tactile feedback. The storage spaces are helpful and the 15-L cooled glovebox is a boon. The armrest on the left side of the driver is very useful while cruising on the highway. The rear space is generous and made the long journey comfortable. The rear seat incline we felt was not an issue. Overall, the thoughtfulness of the designers is very evident on the inside. The only negative is that the material used on the glovebox and inner surfaces of the doors gathers dust imprints quick. The fit and finish in the glovebox area could be better. Contrary to reviews, I really like the tachometer display; its just that the fat RPM display button should have been on the outer aspect than merge with the meter. AC is powerful and not noisy at low fan speeds. The space and comfort levels in the back seat are more then adequate.

Exteriors:

Much has already been said. It is indeed a striking and original design. The advantage with gold is that the hues change as the day gets along and the color can be surreal in the evenings. The piano black could have been subtle and it is an unbelievable dust magnet. Love the ALTROZ badging on the rear though. The reactions of passersby are illustrative –
1. At Belur we parked the car opposite the police station – 3 cops came out, admired the car and asked for all details. At the famous Chennakesava Temple, a family again enquired about it. They could not believe the price and thought it cost upwards of 15L just going by it’s design.
2. At Hassan, we stopped by at the largest restaurant at lunch time. Post meal, the manager walked out, requested if he can sit inside, then said it looks superb, but was a little disappointed that it did not have AMT.
3. In the city too, it’s a head turner.
4. My extended family who have driven the car, have given it a big thumbs-up.

Trouble is, though I’m a sucker for good design, I can do without the attention, it embarrasses me.

Verdict:

To me the Altroz represents a fine confluence of the maturation of original Indian auto design and sensible (if not spectacular) engineering. It is a triumph, in the sense, that the Altroz promises a safe ride, at great comfort levels and good mileage while being packaged in a beautiful, aerodynamic, nature inspired design. In the words of Faisal (Motorbeam), it’s a practical car with the introductory versions tailor made for the mass market and I endorse this view. I’m sure the TaMo engineers will think of a way to address enthusiasts ad if well done, we could have an auto icon in the making.

Conflict of Interest – I’m in love with my new ride.

Last edited by Aditya : 19th February 2020 at 17:02. Reason: Spacing, mention of overspeeding
kamath_d is offline   (84) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 18:29   #1752
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamath_d View Post
Hello friends and fellow forum members! This is my first post on Team-bhp forum and I would like to share with you all my user review of the Tata Altroz (delivery date, 03/02/2020). The reason I’m sharing this review is because I have been reading up stuff on Team BHP during my research into the purchase of a new car and have been following this thread. Hence, I felt I could give back to this community by posting my review.
Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your new purchase.

Altroz got smashing exteriors & practical interiors, it is safe, it is frugal, it got adequate space, adequate power, and strikes a perfect balance between ride & handling.

Enjoy your steed, happy mile munching.

PS: Probably yours is the first Altroz initial ownership review on the forum.
wheelguy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 22:35   #1753
BHPian

I've mentioned this maybe quite a few times already but I sincerely do hope they get the diesel altroz to the dealerships fast, instead of waiting for full BS6 fuel conversion.

Diesel is the pick of the two engines, in my opinion. It's more powerful, way more easy to drive considering the low turbo lag and very fuel efficient as well.

Last edited by SaiSW : 18th February 2020 at 22:37.
Old 18th February 2020, 23:56   #1754
Vmv
BHPian

Quote:
Welcome to Team BHP! We were waiting for an initial ownership review of the Altroz. Thanks for the same and happy miles ahead!

It would be great if you can share some photographs of your new purchase.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 19th February 2020 at 08:04. Reason: Corrected typos.
Vmv is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 03:29   #1755
BHPian

Quote:
Hello friends and fellow forum members!
Congratulations on new your new purchase. Wish you many safe and fun miles on it.

Quote:
Out on the highway, my confidence soared and I took the car few times to 120 kmph, for the first time in my life.
Just a suggestion. I wouldn't push a new car, especially one with a small displacement to such speeds before the break in period. I've heard quite a lot of people say that modern engines are not as sensitive to running in compared to older ones. But my stand is always to be safe than sorry and follow what is recommended by the manufacturer. After all, the ones that made them would tend to know more about it than the rest. I'm attaching a page from Tiago's manual here. Please refer the one you have in hand for more accurate info.

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-user-manual.jpg

What's done is done. There is no need to worry about it now. Just keep this information in mind when you go for your next purchase.

Last edited by Aditya : 19th February 2020 at 17:02. Reason: Quoted text edited
Keeleri_Achu is offline   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed