Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2020, 09:59   #1756
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamath_d View Post
Hello friends and fellow forum members! This is my first post on Team-bhp forum and I would like to share with you all my user review of the Tata Altroz (delivery date, 03/02/2020).
Thank you for a very well articulated brief initial ownership summary. Could you also give your opinion on how big / usable (for example, in terms of approx. how many duffel or small trolley bags could fit in it) the boot is? Will keep an eye out for more updates from you as the days go by.

Wish you a million miles of safe and happy ownership!
comfortablynumb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 20:47   #1757
BHPian

Re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Quote:
Hello friends and fellow forum members! This is my first post on Team-bhp forum and I would like to share with you all my user review of the Tata Altroz (delivery date, 03/02/2020). ....
Many congratulations on your new ride!

I know hundreds of pics are present on this thread, but still, always attach some pictures! That too of a dashing car like the Altroz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
I've mentioned this maybe quite a few times already but I sincerely do hope they get the diesel altroz to the dealerships fast, instead of waiting for full BS6 fuel conversion.
Had been to TASS today and had a chat with the GM of service. He said that Tata won't hand over a single diesel Altroz till April 1. He agreed when I asked if Tata doesn't want to take a chance with complaints rising due to fuel related issues for no fault of their own.

IMO, Tata should have given a disclaimer during lauch to expect diesel variants only from April. Although that disclaimer could have ended up being a double edged sword for them.
TROOPER is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 16:18   #1758
BHPian

Re: Can Team-BHP please borrow your Tata Altroz?

Hello BHPians,

I happened to see Altroz when I was driving near my house and I stopped to ask the owner some vital details which I think might be useful. If you feel like it’s repetitive information, please ignore.

He was in a hurry and just stopped a few seconds.

Price is 9.11L on road
1.2L engine
Manual transmission

I think it’s a little overpriced for its features. Pictures below.

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-8a57d45cba294b519750522598091d4d.jpeg

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-ba9a4b9fe3574cf4ba1246a291156613.jpeg

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-9603d478fdcc48a5a532c305bef47f9a.jpeg

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-17d525d04c1241b5a095aa8f3126b682.jpeg

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-e10fd2c9b63842ee82071b15dc470973.jpeg

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-66aab3cd33a54a5fbd3a6812d8a1e4e6.jpeg

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-f7c4a792b661471da78eafe6eb9bd51f.jpeg

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-4326efc8ca674af5b5adb7dd7e48a798.jpeg

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 20th February 2020 at 16:36. Reason: Inserted images inline
Sasanka_Sanga is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 16:29   #1759
Distinguished - BHPian

^^Panel gaps look huge and inconsistent. My initial impression based on this pic.
saket77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 19:54   #1760

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Thank you for a very well articulated brief initial ownership summary. Could you also give your opinion on how big / usable (for example, in terms of approx. how many duffel or small trolley bags could fit in it) the boot is? Will keep an eye out for more updates from you as the days go by.

Wish you a million miles of safe and happy ownership!
Hi friends, thanks for your good wishes and I hope the post gave you a fairly clear preliminary idea. Promise to post updates, especially if I face problems or issues. Few more points for your consideration -

1) Boot space - 2 medium size suitcases stacked one above the other, 2 small suitcases vertically stacked will fit comfortably, along with at least 3 full mid-size shopping bags or 3 duffel bags. Will try put up pics in coming days. Also, the most important application of the 90 degree opening passenger doors for me has been to easily load shopping bags in the rear.

2) Used Eco mode for sometime in the last 2 days during work commute - Initial estimates suggest an improvement of 12 - 15% in fuel economy in the same traffic situation and with the same driving style. Though many reviews say the mode is useless especially in the city, for now I disagree. In slow city traffic conditions for sedate drivers like me, this will save some liters of fuel. On an annual basis, this could result in a small, but significant saving. Contrary opinions are welcome.

3) I did mention a satisfactory experience at the KHT Tata dealership. However, the salespersons could have used some technology to display the various possible combinations using the Imaginator. Also, they initially told me that the diesel models would be available within a week of making the payment (clearly they were clueless).

4) Concerns about inconsistent panel gaps - I reiterate that the external and internal fit and finish are impressive, with the glovebox area being an exception.

5) Have not yet explored the digital infotainment system in detail and cruise control properly - will do so after reading the manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeleri_Achu View Post
Congratulations on new your new purchase. Wish you many safe and fun miles on it.
Thanks very much mate, much appreciated. I quickly flipped through the Altroz manual, but break-in precautions were not mentioned. However, I checked several sites, including TeaM BHP prior to the trip and followed the recommendations. Took it up to 120 kmph just once to test its handling and steering response, otherwise was cruising between 70 and 100.

MOD NOTE - Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-img_20200205_072549.jpg  

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-img20200211wa0006.jpg  

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-img20200220wa0019.jpg  

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-img20200220wa0020.jpg  

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-img20200220wa0021.jpg  

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-img20200220wa0022.jpg  

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-img20200220wa0023.jpg  

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-img20200220wa0024.jpg  

Last edited by Sheel : 20th February 2020 at 20:55. Reason: Back to back posts.
kamath_d is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 20:22   #1761
BANNED

Quote:
Hi friends, thanks for your good wishes and I hope the post gave you a fairly clear preliminary idea.
Beautiful car and beautiful pictures.

Off topic: Does that picture of gopuram ceiling belongs to Chennakesava temple of Belur? Have been there, it's a wonderful place.
Old 20th February 2020, 20:36   #1762

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
Beautiful car and beautiful pictures.

Off topic: Does that picture of gopuram ceiling belongs to Chennakesava temple of Belur? Have been there, it's a wonderful place.
Oops, sorry, accidental upload. But yes, that's the incredibly ornate ceiling at Belur temple. Two of the car pics I've uploaded are on the way to the temple. I think the pics make it evident that the golden colour changes its hues beautifully through the day and blends well with the colour of the Indian terrain and sunsets. However, my favourite car colour is grey with chrome accents. I consciously chose the gold colour for its safety aspect. While choosing the car colour, I read a study online which demonstrated that black, grey and silver were associated with significantly more accidents compared to white and yellow/ gold.
kamath_d is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 21:08   #1763
BHPian

People have again started talking about the missing features in the Altroz, can anyone please tell me what features baleno or i20 or the polo are having which the Altroz don't, like i seriously want to know.

Tata is giving a car with a very safe body structure, solid build, one of the best riding dynamics and acceptable set of features yet people have found some missing features
yesyeswe is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 22:57   #1764
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
^^Panel gaps look huge and inconsistent. My initial impression based on this pic.
Inconsistency is TML’a forte. They haven’t learned this from their Harrier. Sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
People have again started talking about the missing features in the Altroz, can anyone please tell me what features baleno or i20 or the polo are having which the Altroz don't, like i seriously want to know.
The biggest issue & by far the most important one has got to be the boring Petrol engine. That itself is a huge deal breaker for many. This car just doesn’t give the premium feeling with that engine. It definitely needs a better motor.
Also, people who are saying to go for a diesel for better engine; it simply doesn’t make sense to shell out additional 2 lacs for a better motor when TATA could have got the Petrol engine first time right. They have the Nexon’s Petrol engine; why not plonk that in the Altroz from day 1? Haven’t they learnt anything from the messy Harrier launch a year ago? With regards to the Harrier, the damage is already done; and I wonder how much of this mild upgrade will help.
Nevertheless, whatever be the market demand; TATA has their own sweet way of working around things!
Well about the features, the new i20 is just around the corner. It’s better to reserve the comments until the launch of the i20. It will definitely be the segment benchmark; no two ways about that.

Last edited by ashvek3141 : 20th February 2020 at 22:59. Reason: Minor typo
ashvek3141 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 23:24   #1765
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
It looks more like pics from a car that is parked - and with the doors not fully closed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
Inconsistency is TML’a forte. They haven’t learned this from their Harrier. Sad.
Kamath himself has not commented on these gaps on his car which you seem to have picked up.

Having said that. I would like to hear your comments on the inconsistent gaps after personally checking the car.

Last edited by condor : 20th February 2020 at 23:27.
condor is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 23:32   #1766
BHPian

Quote:
Well about the features, the new i20 is just around the corner. It’s better to reserve the comments until the launch of the i20. It will definitely be the segment benchmark; no two ways about that.
We can't talk about a car which has not been launched yet, i'm just comparing the cars which are in the market.
Engine not for enthusiasts I understand, car having taxi image(according to some folks) that i understand, not good after sales service that I understand, servicing network not good that too I understand.

But these things are not considered as features! These are the various aspects of the vehicle, or specifications, or image, but not features. I just want to know what are the missing features in the Altroz! People have mentioned this many times in the thread.

Like i'm genuinely curios now, only ones which i was able to find was steering is not telescopic and the anti glare mirror is not electronic. I am not even gonna mention the features which altroz is having which the competition doesn't, not comparing here.

Whatever TATA does i think people will somehow find some faults with it
yesyeswe is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 23:34   #1767
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
It looks more like pics from a car that is parked - and with the doors not fully closed.
Fuel flap also looks pretty inconsistent. I've not seen one in person but would certainly like to hear about it from those who have.
Old 20th February 2020, 23:55   #1768
BANNED

Thanks to the deeply ingrained negative impressions, and implicit biases, doesn't matter whatever they do, they are doomed for life.

Addition: Great that Tata is soldiering-on despite the untiring & ceaseless criticism. Trust me, if it's any other OEM other than Tata, they would have simply wound up their operations by now, they wont care to continue, be it Indian or foreign OEM.

Last edited by wheelguy : 21st February 2020 at 00:09. Reason: Addition
wheelguy is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 00:31   #1769
BHPian

Quote:
Haven’t they learnt anything from the messy Harrier launch a year ago? With regards to the Harrier, the damage is already done; and I wonder how much of this mild upgrade will help.
Nevertheless, whatever be the market demand; TATA has their own sweet way of working around things!
We need to appreciate that they accepted their mistake and made the requisite changes. Also, I haven't seen any Harrier being pulled by a donkey yet, unlike a 'feature' loaded competitor. So Tata has not left the initial adopters to gaze at the sky for some hope. Unlike Hyundai with most of their cars running on our roads with 'God knows when will it conk off' ABS sensors.

Quote:
With the current i20 top end petrol already overpriced by 56k ex showroom than the top end Altroz petrol, yes, the 2020 i20 too will have 'more features'.

As far as being the segment benchmark is concerned, Hyundai already seem to have taken some inspiration from the Altroz's black applique on the tailgate and the styling of the dash. So I guess we know who's really sweating.

Last edited by TROOPER : 21st February 2020 at 00:32.
TROOPER is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 00:44   #1770
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post
Also, I haven't seen any Harrier being pulled by a donkey yet, unlike a 'feature' loaded competitor.
This guy sure came close to it. There are atleast 3 others on consumer forums but I guess we can pretend they don't exist and keep praising them?

Last edited by Nithesh_M : 21st February 2020 at 00:47.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks