Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2020, 10:49   #1801
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Has TATA started working on a JTP version of the Altroz?

I am not sure how reliable these guys are https://indianauto.com/news/tata-altroz-jtp-nid4256 but the article does have a pic of an Altroz in camouflage with Coimbatore plates.
I spotted this same car yesterday. It was driven on the avinashi road, Coimbatore and it disappeared in no time despite the traffic on this road. This could be the JTP version of Altroz.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-img_20200229_134358497.jpg  

arun_josie is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 1st March 2020, 11:13   #1802
BHPian

Re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
I spotted this same car yesterday. It was driven on the avinashi road, Coimbatore and it disappeared in no time despite the traffic on this road. This could be the JTP version of Altroz.
Thanks sir. Hopefully, TATA will come out with this before long. With the coronavirus outbreak, I believe saw an article that said the global reveal of the new i20 might be delayed. This (despite the unfortunate circumstances) might give TATA some breathing room.
Old 4th March 2020, 12:45   #1803
Distinguished - BHPian

TATA Altroz loses its momentum, lost in the crowd! Closest competition is Toyota Glanza

Feb-20 sales:

Name:  11.PNG
Views: 2445
Size:  59.2 KB

Source: Auto Punditz
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 13:06   #1804
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
TATA Altroz loses its momentum, lost in the crowd! Closest competition is Toyota Glanza

Feb-20 sales:

Tata qoutes retail numbers whereas for Toyota they are wholesale dispatch numbers.
damodar is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 13:06   #1805
BHPian

Tata applies for homologation of BS4 Altroz
Just noticed this. I wonder why they would do this.
Why homologate BS4 versions when it cannot be registered after March 31?
https://www.rushlane.com/tata-altroz...-12355385.html

Last edited by SaiSW : 4th March 2020 at 13:08.
SaiSW is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 13:11   #1806
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
Yes saw the news yesterday. What's funny is - they homologated the BSIV one AFTER the BSVI units! So seems it was done as a later decision in all likelihood based on some input.
Is that some sort of a hint that the BSVI deadline may get pushed forward by the government & BSIV may continue to be sold for some time in tier 2/3 / rural areas? Like at the time of BSIII to BSIV shift in 2010? Intriguing.

I hope this is not the case and there is a clean cut from BSIV to BSVI on 1st April. Anyone caught napping should pay the price in form of loss of business. This is not an area to extend deadlines. Not anymore.
Old 4th March 2020, 14:48   #1807
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
Why homologate BS4 versions when it cannot be registered after March 31?
https://www.rushlane.com/tata-altroz...-12355385.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Yes saw the news yesterday. What's funny is - they homologated the BSIV one AFTER the BSVI units! So seems it was done as a later decision in all likelihood based on some input.
Tata had produced few number of BS4 engined powered Altroz when it was planning to launch the car last year. However due to several reasons, launch was deferred and Tata decided to launch it as BS6 compliant only.

These BS4 Altroz cars are being sold off(at good discounts to TaMo employees and friends) to clear the old stock. They had to homogolate this version so that it can be registered at the RTOs.

AFAIK, there's no change in the BS6 implementation deadline.
ashis89 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 5th March 2020, 12:10   #1808
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post

Feb-20 sales:

I am at a loss here. What happened? I was expecting atleast 5000 + units here as sales.

I am seriously looking at HBX and holding off my purchase of next vehicle for few months. But when I see numbers like 2000, 1500, 2500 etc, it breaks my heart and puts HBX on question mark.

On the other hand in Feb, Wagon r sales exceeded 18,000 units. Baleno is still 16K units, Swift 18K units.. Tin cans (wagon R) with 2 safety ratings end up selling 18K+ units, while 5 STAR RATED, COMPETITIVELY priced, VERY GOOD looking car ends up selling 2K+ units. I am at loss here.

Last edited by ampere : 6th March 2020 at 08:45. Reason: removed dead link from quoted post
pogo0120 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th March 2020, 12:25   #1809
Senior - BHPian

You may criticise the Baleno/Maruti as much as you want, but it is one gem of a daily driver. The best part is the engine, frugal, zero maintenance, sufficient power for our roads. That Maruti has got its balance of power, economy and safety right, for the Indian context, is the main reason for it's success.

Cheers...
dkaile is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th March 2020, 12:29   #1810
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogo0120 View Post
I am at a loss here. What happened? I was expecting atleast 5000 + units here as sales.
It seems there were supply issues (COVID 19) last month which impacted production like some other OEMs plus fire incident at one of the key suppliers (as per official statement of Tata Motors)

Ideally we should wait for March nos

Last edited by Prafful_Rathod : 5th March 2020 at 12:34.
Prafful_Rathod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2020, 12:30   #1811
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
That Maruti has got its balance of power, economy and safety right, for the Indian context, is the main reason for it's success.

Cheers...
I don't agree with the safety aspect though. Atleast until a crash test results of Indian made baleno comes out, I am inclined to believe it is a tin can, from numerous incidents of the car getting crushed like a cardboard box on rather small impacts. This also includes the car I own and drive - the ciaz.

Maruti do make frugal, very competent value for money products, but at a compromise, sadly that compromise comes in the form of structural stability and build quality.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 5th March 2020 at 12:32.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 5th March 2020, 12:36   #1812
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogo0120 View Post
Whoever is thinking that India is now in the leagues of developed countries (where people always think of nature, polution, safety etc) is living in a fools' paradise. You are listening more to the new political gua-guaism than looking at the facts of more than 100 crores common people. There is a small percentage of people here who can afford the McDonald's life all day, but others are still in the stage where they have to check frequently whether their income meets expenses. For them, the main recurring expenses of a motor vehicle ownership - fuel economy and spare / service costs - is a big thing. You try to sell them 5 star hotel experience or 5 star safety rating, and need to come back empty handed.

This is a special part of the world. Politicians roar about its development, and people cry about the lack of it.
romeomidhun is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 5th March 2020, 12:44   #1813
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
I don't agree
The crucial word there was 'BALANCE'! As someone pointed out, we need to live in the real world. In India we can't go overboard with just the safety aspect without considering the mix and most importantly the overall value the product delivers. We are still some years away when safety will be the choosing factor even for the elite, but for us masses, it's still a few decades away.

Cheers...
dkaile is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2020, 12:49   #1814
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
You may criticise the Baleno/Maruti as much as you want, but it is one gem of a daily driver. The best part is the engine, frugal, zero maintenance, sufficient power for our roads. That Maruti has got its balance of power, economy and safety right, for the Indian context, is the main reason for it's success.

Cheers...
I agree with you on reliability, spares, mileage of maruti products. But not on safety though!

I had a celerio, drove over 1,25,000 KMs and no clutch change, no issues with engine whatsoever. It was an AMT drive. Gave me consistently over 24 KMPL on highways, even after driving 1,25,000 Kms. Tank to tank refill test.

But after 1,25,000 kms, I had few near death accident type of situations. Though, I did not face any accident and luckily got escaped in last moment by changing direction, etc, I realized that this car, Celerio is nothing but chair with wheels tied to them. No safety! My car was VXi and had no airbags. You see, broken legs, amputated legs, broken ribs, stroked body parts, nervous failure,, any amount of money will not get you back your health or organ.

Around, 1,30,000Kms went to Maruti and gave back for exchange on Wagon R Zxi AMT with top trim and top safely and everything. (7.75 Lakhs on road). When I got the safety rating news, cancelled the booking, got refund on both booking amount and Celerio exchange.

Now, I drive Innova, and still looking for a second car both city drives and sometimes on highway. HBx is my choice. But when Tata products, good in safety end up selling like 2K 3K etc, well, I do not want to be associated with such low volume products due to issues every one knows. Until then, I will be driving Innova in Bangalore city, cursing every one on the road for irritating stop and go drive.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 6th March 2020 at 10:26. Reason: Typo.
pogo0120 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th March 2020, 12:51   #1815
Senior - BHPian

Along with the supply issue I guess low sales could be attributed to diesel not available till April 1. As the better engine is clearly diesel, many people might be waiting for Tata motors to make it available or moving on to another brand. I will be only worried if this trend continues for another couple of months.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed