Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2019, 10:06   #841
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Impossible of course but I wish TML surprised us all with an all new BSVI 1.2 RevoTron engine. An engine with 4 cylinders...

No matter the amazing fuel efficiency & quite reliable performance since more than 3 years now, the 3 cyl 1.2 Revotron sounds disastrous. I'm okay with that diesel like clatter in a Tiago. But in a car that will threaten the 1 million mark in its XZA+ avatar quite possibly - that sound will permanently kill the Altroz brand for decades to come.

Tata tried something new by bringing a powerful 3 cylinder turbo petrol in 1.2 displacement. Surely saved money there. But contrary to what they must have anticipated - other car makers did NOT follow this idea & that leaves Tata's otherwise excellent cars sound like Piaggio diesel tuk-tuks! Fix it soon please...Or stop making small cars...
Reinhard is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2019, 10:24   #842
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
But contrary to what they must have anticipated - other car makers did NOT follow this idea & that leaves Tata's otherwise excellent cars sound like Piaggio diesel tuk-tuks! Fix it soon please...Or stop making small cars...
True. Not only small cars, even the harrier is very loud post 100kmph. Hexa and Storme with the 2.2 Varicor 400 are more refined than the Tata tuned Fiat's 2.0.

I somehow have this belief that Tata boardrooms still have the heavy commercial vehicle manufacturers mentality in them. That is why they build sturdy cars without any concern for finer details, fit & finish and NVH.

As a bhpian had posted in this thread previously, there are a few rare Tata cars that are completely niggle free. I used to be one of those rare Tata owners- with 2 such cars 93k run sumo grande and 140k run safari dicor, 0 niggles whatsoever. I also have had my share of problematic tatas - A disastrous Tata estate, a rather OK Tata Sumo DX and a reliable but very noisy Tata Sumo Gold 3.0 CR4.

As I already said, we were lucky to have reliable tatas and such Tata cars are rare!

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 22nd November 2019 at 10:27.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2019, 13:41   #843
Distinguished - BHPian

By the way - are there more details available about the AT box in petrol variant? I had last heard "it will be launched at a later stage". (Which is the stupidest thing a car maker can do in any premium segment.)

Is it going to be a CVT or a DCT? Tuning a CVT with a turbo-petrol engine would be quite tricky. To make it a jerk free & lag-less drive will be one of the biggest problems to ever face Tata's engineers!
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2019, 14:07   #844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
By the way - are there more details available about the AT box in petrol variant? I had last heard "it will be launched at a later stage". (Which is the stupidest thing a car maker can do in any premium segment.)

Is it going to be a CVT or a DCT? Tuning a CVT with a turbo-petrol engine would be quite tricky. To make it a jerk free & lag-less drive will be one of the biggest problems to ever face Tata's engineers!
Might be a TC also. Tata's engineers will have some experience with TCs given that the Hexa has one. I'm certainly hoping that they put that gearbox as that would be amazing when paired with the diesel.

They cannot afford to put in an AMT cause then I fear it'll fail before it even gets off the ground. Prospective customers would see the obvious difference and buy the competition instead.
nikhilthegunner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2019, 14:15   #845
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilthegunner View Post
Might be a TC also. Tata's engineers will have some experience with TCs given that the Hexa has one. I'm certainly hoping that they put that gearbox as that would be amazing when paired with the diesel.
Problem with TC petrol is lower FE. That's where modern CVT and DCT are preferred over TC in commuter petrol engines. With low torque outputs, CVT/DCT are sufficient. Robustness of a TC isn't exactly warranted. And for the diesel one - a different smaller TC will be required of course. Using the TC from a Hexa's 2.2 Varicor setup would be an overkill. I won't be surprised to see an AMT in the diesel Altroz. Nexon runs on the same combination & having a better combination than Altroz would throw the prices up. People will buy the Nexon then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilthegunner View Post
They cannot afford to put in an AMT cause then I fear it'll fail before it even gets off the ground. Prospective customers would see the obvious difference and buy the competition instead.
For now its safe to assume that even if they put a 1.8 TSI DSG in the car, customers are going to buy the competition. I respect TML for actually showing the guts to challenge these incumbents. Their chances are slim for now. Because of the poor feeling one gets in majority of their showrooms. Its not worse than Maruti showrooms. But then they aren't brand Maruti either.

Last edited by Reinhard : 22nd November 2019 at 14:31.
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2019, 15:25   #846
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Agreed that Tata needs to improve its marketing effort.

But then, Ads did not make Safari a cult car, it was the safari that made those ads worthwhile to watch, even after 15 years
If they had made such ads for indica and estate, they would have still bombed miserably.
Agreed. But these ads did play an important role; they sort of embedded the Safari's love in us.

On the other hand, Sumo did not have such ads but was still a bigger success compared to the Safari.
Neither did the Estate, but that car failed. Given that not many people remember that car.

Tata Sierra has a different place in a car lover's heart.

Comparing these cars as they all belong to TATA and come from a similar time frame.
On the other hand, I 'personally' don't think the Indica bombed. As we can see so many Indica's in the taxi market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
These ads are by Ogilvy and they are expensive/charge well. Marketeers (these days) are comfy working with newbies/freelancers who are easy on the budget unfortunately, and most importantly - those who obey their every command and diktat, regarding creative. That's why we don't see such memorable ads anymore, just activation ideas. Brand managers live 'quarter to quarter' anyway.
If TATA needs to change people's perspective, than this needs to change.

TaMo is still not crunching good numbers despite having good products. Somethings need to change from the inside.
iamahunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2019, 16:09   #847
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamahunter View Post
On the other hand, Sumo did not have such ads but was still a bigger success compared to the Safari.

On the other hand, I 'personally' don't think the Indica bombed.

:
Well, I guess our definition of success in the context to the above discussion is different. You are referring to sales figures as success while I was referring to "cult" status as success. Going by sales figures, safari is a dud. But every other bhpian once had a dream of owning the safari.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2019, 17:19   #848
BHPian

Yet another teaser of Tata Altroz.

Dear Tata motors, we are already fed up with the teasers of your Altroz. Please stop producing teasers and launch the car immediately.

Last edited by Tom Sooraj : 22nd November 2019 at 17:22.
Tom Sooraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2019, 17:37   #849
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Sooraj View Post
Yet another teaser of Tata Altroz.

Dear Tata motors, we are already fed up with the teasers of your Altroz. Please stop producing teasers and launch the car immediately.
These teasers are not for you, me or automotive field updated people. These are for regular customer who is seriously unaware of this car. I have asked many friends about Altroz and they have no clue about such car is coming from Tata motors. Read comments on these youtube videos, you will see many people are excited about this car and waiting for the reveal.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 22nd November 2019 at 17:40. Reason: video link removed from the quote box
tushky is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2019, 19:36   #850
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Going by sales figures, safari is a dud. But every other bhpian once had a dream of owning the safari.
Sadly, that is the truth with almost every Tata car. For many, the initial enthusiasm doesn't convert into a sale for all the reasons discussed before. But, still they could grab a pie by pricing their cars lower than the competition however at the expense of some component(Quality?).
Old 22nd November 2019, 20:51   #851
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
But, still they could grab a pie by pricing their cars lower than the competition however at the expense of some component(Quality?).
Times have changed. The most VFM pricing doesn't necessarily win sales anymore.

Even Maruti and Hyundai cars are seeing more demand for their mid or top-end versions these days. People get drawn in by features and feel-good factors more than anything else. The same reason why stingy Maruti is equipping even it's base SPresso with Smartplay touchscreen, Android auto and Apple carplay.

Hope Altroz doesn't lose any features and cabin quality compared to Nexon, which is a well accepted product for this price range.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2019, 16:27   #852
BHPian

Another teaser of the Altroz:

Tom Sooraj is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 20:53   #853
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Sooraj View Post
Another teaser of the Altroz:
And another.

CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 21:46   #854
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
And another.
Yesterday's teaser.
Tom Sooraj is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 21:53   #855
BHPian

Scale model of the Tata Altroz.

Looks like the media drives are scheduled on the 3rd and 4th of December at Jaisalmer.

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-altroz_6.jpg

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-altroz_1.jpg

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-altroz_2.jpg

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-altroz_3.jpg

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-altroz_4.jpg

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-altroz_5.jpg

Source 1

Source 2

Last edited by The_Outsider! : 25th November 2019 at 22:02. Reason: Added information regarding the media drives, and updated the source of information
The_Outsider! is offline   (33) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks