Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2015, 00:07   #46
BHPian

Re: Fiat Abarth 595 Competizione revealed on Fiat India's website

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodvayyat View Post
This is altogether in a different segment and only performance might matter there. It will not be right to compare this with Merc cars in similar price range or any other cars. Message is very clear from FIAT - it is only targetting FIAT/ABARTH enthusiasts in the country.
One of the reason for buying a hot hatch is getting most bang for your buck performance wise. But at 30L, isn't it coming to the Avanti territory which has a much better performance and vastly superior looks (To most people's eyes). Yes it may not have the snob value and ownership experience is something which only time will tell, but for a enthusiast with only performance in mind (forget climate control and the gadgetry) i believe it will be a real hard sell.

Fiat Abarth 595 Competizione revealed on Fiat India's website-4.jpg

Fiat Abarth 595 Competizione revealed on Fiat India's website-3.jpg

Fiat Abarth 595 Competizione revealed on Fiat India's website-2.jpg

Fiat Abarth 595 Competizione revealed on Fiat India's website-1.jpg
Old 6th August 2015, 03:53   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedub89 View Post

It is just that the car isn't that exciting to look at. Nor is it noisy. I doubt the small 4-valve turbocharged engine is gonna create chaos.

If (and when) the Polo GTI gets launched it will kill this car. It should have more power. Will be more of a car too. One you could actually use everyday.
Sorry, but I disagree. Having just driven one, I can confirm it is quite noisy! And the 1.4L engine is more than enough for this little car. It is so much fun to drive.

As far as the looks goes, I think it is the most striking looking little hatchback out there, there is no other car like it. But again, that is just my personal opinion. But during the times I have driven the car, everybody, regardless of gender or age looked at the car with a smile!

I have posted a review of the car here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...5-turismo.html

I have also driven a Polo GTi, and trust me it is quite ordinary with regards to the fun-factor (again, my personal opinion). Also, ff you park a Polo GTi next to an Abarth, people will definitely notice the Abarth.
Jeeper1941 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 09:32   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
But at 30L, isn't it coming to the Avanti territory which has a much better performance and vastly superior looks (To most people's eyes).
This is not a car that is launched to sell to the mass, nor is it a car that is made to appeal Indian crowd. It is specifically targeted at ABARTH fans in the country who doesn't care about what people think. So it makes complete sense and it will sell single digits per month or in every two month. But you see even one 500 Competizione on Indian roads, then that is it - FIAT has achieved what it wanted (this is the same story happening around VW beetle - isn't it?).
vinodvayyat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 10:05   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper1941 View Post
Also, ff you park a Polo GTi next to an Abarth, people will definitely notice the Abarth.
30L just so that people notice the car?

IMO, it's not worth it! 30L is a huge sum, I don't think this car has anything to justify that kind of a price tag!
Old 6th August 2015, 10:10   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodvayyat View Post
This is not a car that is launched to sell to the mass, nor is it a car that is made to appeal Indian crowd. It is specifically targeted at ABARTH fans in the country who doesn't care about what people think. So it makes complete sense and it will sell single digits per month or in every two month. But you see even one 500 Competizione on Indian roads, then that is it - FIAT has achieved what it wanted (this is the same story happening around VW beetle - isn't it?).
Completely agree. People who buy these kind of cars:

1. Don't care what other people think about the practicalities of driving
2. Want to experience the pure joy of driving

This is a small, Italian hatch (and they don't get smaller and Italian than the Fiat 500!) which is relatively cheap to buy (relative to Porsches, Mercs and Ferraris is what I mean!) and extremely fun to drive.

Like I said before, this is not a car for people who use a car as a means of transport - to get from A to B, or even people who use cars as status symbols. There are plenty of cars out there that fulfill those roles. The Abarth 595 is not a car that the average Joe will buy, and Fiat knows that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
30L just so that people notice the car?

IMO, it's not worth it! 30L is a huge sum, I don't think this car has anything to justify that kind of a price tag!
Again, like I said, it has all to do with who buys this car. Yes, 30L is a lot of money, and to be quite frank this car shouldn't cost that much, in fact it should cost about 1/2 that, and even that is a lot of money!

But a small number of people will buy this car. Why? This is because few cars have the ability to stir the soul for such little outlay. And the average Abarth buyer couldn’t care less what is better or more competent. Abarth ownership is, first and foremost, about making a statement, the same as it has always been. And did I mention the car is so soul-satisfying and just pure joy to drive? Intangible things such as that sometimes matter.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 6th August 2015 at 12:10. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote feature to quote multiple posts.
Jeeper1941 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2015, 10:42   #51
Team-BHP Support

Team-BHP's drive report of the Abarth 595 Competizione is live. Click here to join the conversation.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed