Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2015, 00:36   #1
BHPian

Ciaz vs City boots : The mystery of the matching luggage!

Was browsing the website of Honda and MSIL looking at specifications of the City and the Ciaz to solve my confusion which was posted here

Here are pictures of the Boot of the cars

CIAZ
Ciaz vs City boots : The mystery of the matching luggage!-utilityslider6.jpg
Website link : http://www.marutisuzuki.com/ciaz.aspx

CITY
Ciaz vs City boots : The mystery of the matching luggage!-interiorsimg2.jpg
Website link : https://www.hondacarindia.com/AllNewCity/interiors.html

Very Similar Luggage

Hope it wasn't the same advertising agency and wonder who copied whom.

Looks like the boot of the Ciaz is one laptop bag wider than the City

--------

Edit:

** SOLVED ** : See this post!

Last edited by Rehaan : 13th June 2015 at 14:03. Reason: Nice spotting! Adding a link to the reason :)
slicvic is offline   (78) Thanks
Old 12th June 2015, 00:59   #2
BHPian

re: Ciaz vs City boots : The mystery of the matching luggage!

You sure have an eagle's eye.Just goes on to show how advertisers take customers for a ride and that too in the boot.
arunkumarsarat is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th June 2015, 01:50   #3
BHPian

Plot twist: Could it be the Maruti guys who asked their ad designer to use exactly similar bags in their photo shoot and have an extra bag to prove Ciaz has a bigger trunk.

Closer inspection says City's boot still has some space on the left and if the bigger white bag is pushed more to the left (like in Ciaz), there probably is enough space for one more laptop bag But the fact remains that Ciaz is slightly wider than the City. One more thing clearly visible in these pics is that City has a much lower loading lip compared to the Ciaz.
Vigkey is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th June 2015, 06:35   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
Very Similar Luggage
Wow, you've got some really sharp eyes, don't you? It could be the result of hiring the same advertising agency by Honda and Maruti-Suzuki.

I just thought the taillights of City and Ciaz were similar but didn't quite expect what's under the boot to be the same as well.
arvi86 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2015, 08:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

Don't know whether to laugh or cry really! Internationally, manufacturers go at each other citing engine specifications, safety kit or lap times on popular circuits. And here we fight over the boot. Its a bit sad really.

And since Maruti got one extra bag compared to Honda, I think they might have done the photo shoot for Ciaz later. But, does one additional bag matter so much??

Last edited by deetjohn : 12th June 2015 at 08:09. Reason: adding text.
deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2015, 08:18   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkumarsarat View Post
You sure have an eagle's eye.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
Wow, you've got some really sharp eyes, don't you?
Ask him what he does for a living...

I doubt this was done intentionally to show one boot is bigger than the other. How many potential customers would have noticed this? I guess somebody got lazy and used the same props for competing models or worse, photoshopped the images.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2015, 08:24   #7
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 13th June 2015 at 12:17.
sajusherief is offline   Received Infraction
Old 12th June 2015, 09:04   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Good catch

Advertising agency did not think too much on this I suppose. If they wanted to show the boot capacity via photos, it makes more sense to use standard size strollers/suitcases stacked.

I hope Maruti/Honda does not think that people are basing buying decisions based on a few liters of boot space difference (And I hope nobody is doing the same).

IMO, the exact numbers are meaningless. As long as they are in the same ball park, it does not make a difference. For Eg: I was pleasantly surprised to see that I could fit more things in my 460L boot Vento as compared to my earlier 505L boot SX4. The way the boot is laid out is important.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2015, 12:00   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Ask him what he does for a living...

Quote:
I doubt this was done intentionally to show one boot is bigger than the other. How many potential customers would have noticed this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Advertising agency did not think too much on this I suppose.
On the contrary i think it was done on purpose by MSIL / their ad agency and that is why that one extra laptop bag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
Plot twist: Could it be the Maruti guys who asked their ad designer to use exactly similar bags in their photo shoot and have an extra bag to prove Ciaz has a bigger trunk.
Closer inspection says City's boot still has some space on the left and if the bigger white bag is pushed more to the left (like in Ciaz), there probably is enough space for one more laptop bag
My thoughts are the same. Its a mind game with the consumer. Even if one or two buyers decide after seeing this its 10 - 20 L more turnover

Reminds me of the old pepsi vs coke ads. The 'Nothing official about it' campaign

Quote:
I guess somebody got lazy and used the same props for competing models or worse, photoshopped the images.
I really hope its not Photoshop, but then its easier to photoshop than go shopping for the replica suitcases and handbags.

Last edited by GTO : 13th June 2015 at 12:18. Reason: Quoted post deletd
slicvic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2015, 12:06   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

So it has come to this. Hmmm...first the same boot design on the new City & the Ciaz. And if that was not all, the luggage they carry are identical as well. Coincidence, really?
Slicvic, you have a decision of life to be made. Forget everything else, just make sure you know if you want that extra laptop bag space while deciding your new car.

Last edited by saket77 : 12th June 2015 at 12:10.
Old 12th June 2015, 12:07   #11
BHPian

I don't think these are photoshopped. The camera angles are different in the two snaps.
ashua is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2015, 12:11   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
I really hope its not Photoshop, but then its easier to photoshop than go shopping for the replica suitcases and handbags.
On the contrary, I thought this was clearly Photoshop work. If you notice the leather bag on top of the white bag, the angle at which the leather belt / strap (or whatever you call them) is exactly the same in both the pics. Only the gloss on the leather is different. I strongly feel this is Photoshop work by the ad agencies. And, if it has got us thinking and discussing so much, I guess, the ad has achieved its purpose and it is a win for Maruti!!!
Vigkey is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2015, 12:12   #13
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 13th June 2015 at 12:14.
Bhodrolok is offline   Received Infraction
Old 12th June 2015, 12:40   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Slicvic, you have a decision of life to be made. Forget everything else, just make sure you know if you want that extra laptop bag space while deciding your new car.
Visited the respective websites to see what each trim level had.
No way am I deciding based on their pictures and that one extra bag. Boot space is not at all my priority. I drive an A Star now with a practically no boot space.
Old 12th June 2015, 12:54   #15
BHPian

In a slight deviation from the humour in the posts above, the effective boot space depends on the extent the hinges intrude into the boot cavity when closed. I didn't realise this when I had gone to the airport to pick someone up and ended up shoving one huge bag on the passenger seat, much to the discomfort of the travelers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks