Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2015, 17:38   #46
Team-BHP Support

re: Mahindra Scorpio AT coming. EDIT, now launched

They are chalk & cheese, really. At least for someone who knows his cars, won't mistake for either. AT in 4WD guise might have buyers.

XUV vs Creta? Big is beautiful & better. 2 people I know of, are going for the W10 and not the Creta. One is a giant [6'4"] so XUV will suit him, but the other, not so, still is going for XUV because of the size and that 2.2 M-Hawk.
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 18:02   #47
Senior - BHPian

So if I am right, ex-showroom Delhi prices are as follows -

Mahindra Scorpio S10 2WD (A/T) - 13,13,701/-
Hyundai Creta SX+ 2WD (A/T) - 13,57,772/-

Mahindra Scorpio S10 4WD (A/T) - 14,32,976/-

The Creta does seem overpriced now as a full blown SUV with 7 seats and a much bigger engine is cheaper!
raj_5004 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 21:39   #48
BHPian

It is interesting to see the price premium being charged for the automatic over the manual gearbox.

SCORPIO

S10 2WD Auto 13,13,701
S10 2WD Man 12,48,714
Premium for 6 speed AT over 5 speed MT = 64,987

S10 4WD Auto 14,32,976
S10 4WD Man 13,61,976
Premium for 6 speed AT over 5 speed MT = 71,000

CRETA

1.6 SX+ Auto 13.57 lakh
1.6 SX+ Man 12.68 lakh
Premium for 6 speed AT over 6 speed MT = 89,000

All these price premiums are less than the conventionally charged 1 lakh.

All prices are ex-showroom Delhi.

Sources : http://www.mahindrascorpio.com/mahin....aspx?id=price , http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ch-396283.aspx and http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...kh-396380.aspx

Cheers,

FourWheelDrift
FourWheelDrift is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 23:38   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Forget the automatic - I wouldnt go anywhere near the manual Scorpio as well, at these current prices.
Crazydriver, big, boxy full-size SUVs have their own charm. The 2nd floor driving position is so blissful. Towering over all cars and having a bird's eye-view of the traffic, seeing the ends of the bonnet are some of the good things about these truck-type SUVs. BTW, what good is an SUV if it is all soft and cozy and luxury-ridden like sedan? An SUV needs to be truck-like.
pgsagar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 23:50   #50
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra has really not understood the Market and having been for so many interviews with their product planning team for a job there, I kind of understand why.

1) Scorpio is an SUV which mostly sells in non metro cities/rural areas/smaller towns/commercial segment/farmers than in big metros.

2) People in these area's have a particular mindset, Automatic = less mileage, expensive to repair, can't get used to driving without a clutch, apne ko nahi jamega, etc etc.

3) So a Scorpio Automatic and that too in the highest version will not create any ripples because it's customer base is mainly people who will not buy an automatic.

4) AN XUV 5oo on the other hand is something people in cities buy, it has the image quotient to it too, not to mention the style statement and panache which Scorpio just does not have. Hence an Automatic in the XUV would have gained a lot of buyers and accolades from people. They already have launched it in Algeria long time back, I don't know why not just bring it here. It was such a brilliant opportunity to have launched the XUV 5oo Automatic some months back when there was no car in the segment which had an Automatic, would have picked up like wildfire and created a base for itself already which the Creta would have to fight.

Now Creta is a clean sweep winner, Scorpio and its roots are NO MATCH for the Creta in the Automatic segment.
humyum is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2015, 15:20   #51
Senior - BHPian

Why cant I see 2WD AT prices yet for the scorpio ?

Has Mahindra decided to take it off the market and launch only the 4WD.

Now that the AT scorpio finds its mention on the site, but only the 4WD and not 2WD.

(Posting scorpio price from other thread - Which else, creta preview thread )
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio AT coming. EDIT, now launched-1394404d1437555599hyundaicretaofficialpreviewscorpio.gif  

Old 24th July 2015, 21:58   #52
BHPian

I really wish senior auto journalists would ask the auto manufacturers why AT and 4WD offerings are variant specific. I mean S10 AT goes to 17 lakh!

AT is hardly a luxury any more, its a need! I would really think a lot of sales of AT will be unlocked if they were offered as an option across all trim levels.
Old 24th July 2015, 23:10   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Why cant I see 2WD AT prices yet for the scorpio
It's there now:

Mahindra Scorpio AT coming. EDIT, now launched-scorp.jpg

Maybe they saw your post and corrected the page

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 11:54   #54
BANNED

Note from Mod : Please use multi Quote feature to avoid back to back posts when quoting multiple people in your replies

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Mahindra has really not understood the Market and having been for so many interviews with their product planning team for a job there, I kind of understand why.
1) Scorpio is an SUV which mostly sells in non metro ............would have to fight.
Now Creta is a clean sweep winner, Scorpio and its roots are NO MATCH for the Creta in the Automatic segment.
Hello humyum,
I kind of fail to see the logic. The assumption is that the Indian customers are a bunch of hill-billies who dont understand a Torsen diff from a Mcpherson strut!
I suppose this impression is more one of perception - make no mistake, no one understands VFM better than the average Indian customer.

As for all the hot air about the Creta - I shall once again stick my neck out and say that the Creta (like the rest of the newly launched softies) is just another hatchback on steroids! Without either the abuse-friendly ruggedness of body-on-ladder-frame structure of the Scorpio, leave aside AWD/4WD, the Creta is a great poseur - a boulvardier without the sinews of a proper SUV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
It's there now:

Maybe they saw your post and corrected the page

Cheers,
Vikram
Hello Vikram,
This must seem deeply silly - but approximately how much would one need to add to the ex-showroom price of the AT versions (2WD & 4WD) to arrive at the respective current OTR prices.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 28th July 2015 at 20:40.
Old 27th July 2015, 12:18   #55
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio AT coming. EDIT, now launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
Hello Vikram,
This must seem deeply silly - but approximately how much would one need to add to the ex-showroom price of the AT versions (2WD & 4WD) to arrive at the respective current OTR prices.
Depends on which state you live in, as road tax % (which forms bulk of the component that needs to be added to ex-showroom price) is different in every state.

In Maharashtra, for vehicles having ex-showroom price > 10L, my wild guess is approx 17-20% of ex-showroom price (registration, road tax, insurance, octroi if applicable, handling charges, extended warranty) would be the addition to arrive at OTR price.

Better informed members are free to correct me

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 18:14   #56
Senior - BHPian

Re: Scoop! Mahindra Scorpio AT coming. Now launched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
Hello humyum,
I kind of fail to see the logic. The assumption is that the Indian customers are a bunch of hill-billies who dont understand a Torsen diff from a Mcpherson strut!
I suppose this impression is more one of perception - make no mistake, no one understands VFM better than the average Indian customer.

As for all the hot air about the Creta - I shall once again stick my neck out and say that the Creta (like the rest of the newly launched softies) is just another hatchback on steroids! Without either the abuse-friendly ruggedness of body-on-ladder-frame structure of the Scorpio, leave aside AWD/4WD, the Creta is a great poseur - a boulvardier without the sinews of a proper SUV.
But image/perception is what makes or breaks a car in this country. Scorpio has this Urban/Rural image, something above the Bolero kinds. To be honest, I have not seen many Scorpios on the streets of Mumbai and I am outside almost 50% of the day, but as soon as I leave the confines of Mumbai and go Bhiwandi side, behold, Scorpios in tons. Now these who are the people who will not buy an Automatic because of the mindset and hence an XUV Automatic should have been the ideal launch to get that arena of customers in, where the market is more and would have had more sales numbers than Scorpio Automatic. To add to the wounds, XUV Automatic has been on sale in Algeria since more than a year now, alongside Quanto Automatic, its just bad strategy on the part of Mahindra. Let's see the sales number of the automatic as it starts selling.

True that about the Creta, but Creta is something which has good ground clearance, brilliant interiors, a Diesel and an Automatic with the target market being city/image conscious people/softroader/diesel automatic crowd and Creta meets all of these aplomb. Yes it does not have the ruggedness of a Ladder on Frame SUV, but it has class and softness on its side.
Old 28th July 2015, 09:57   #57
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
They are chalk & cheese, really. At least for someone who knows his cars, won't mistake for either. AT in 4WD guise might have buyers.
XUV vs Creta? Big is beautiful & better. 2 people I know of, are going for the W10 and not the Creta. One is a giant [6'4"] so XUV will suit him, but the other, not so, still is going for XUV because of the size and that 2.2 M-Hawk.
Both wise and sensible decisions I'd say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Depends on which state you live in,.......approx 17-20% of ex-showroom price (registration, road tax, insurance, octroi if applicable, handling charges, extended warranty) would be the addition to arrive at OTR price.
Better informed members are free to correct me
Cheers,
Vikram
Okedoke..........that sounds just about right.
Thanks

Last edited by Eddy : 28th July 2015 at 10:19. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!
Old 28th July 2015, 16:22   #58
Team-BHP Support

Mahindra has announced the launch of the Automatic variant of the Scorpio. The new variant will be available on the top-end S10 trim level of the SUV in both - two-wheel drive and four-wheel drive configurations.

Mahindra Scorpio AT coming. EDIT, now launched-gear-lever-final.jpg

Prices (ex-showroom, Delhi):
Scorpio AT 2WD - Rs. 13.13 lakh
Scorpio AT 4WD - Rs. 14.33 lakh

Link to Team-BHP News Article

Mahindra Scorpio AT coming. EDIT, now launched-dead-front.jpg
Aditya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th July 2015, 19:13   #59
BHPian

Great news!

Any info on the kind of AT gear box used?

Gear lever is the same one used in the earlier Scorpio. I hope its not the same old TC gearbox sourced from an Australian company. It was lethargic and woefully slow and plagued with issues.

I have the 2012 2WD AT Scorpio and was hoping M & M would launch the new Scoprio with an advanced AT gearbox from Bosch maybe with Trip tonic and Dual clutch. Thought I would exchange....
Old 29th July 2015, 12:24   #60
BHPian

This is a lot better deal than Creta Diesel AT. Scorpio is larger in size, plus you get 4WD. Plus the well estd. Scorpio credo. I was personally never a fan of Scorpio, considering it a truck but this will make many Creta Diesel AT buyers rethink.!

Most Viewed