Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2015, 23:37   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Mahindra Scorpio AT coming. EDIT, now launched

Motorbeam reports, via an exclusive scoop, that Mahindra & Mahindra has sent the mechanical details of the Scorpio Automatic (yes, you read that right!) to the RTO for registration purposes.

Mahindra Scorpio AT coming. EDIT, now launched-2015mahindrascorpioatrtovariantdetails.jpg

The Scorpio AT will be available in 3 trims in the Scorpio's existing lineup - S6+, S8 & S10, according to the scoop. However, M&M are yet to reveal a specific date for the launch of the same.

Mahindra Scorpio AT coming. EDIT, now launched-2015mahindrascorpioatrtospecifications.jpg

Quote:
The S10 variant will get automatic transmission in both rear-wheel drive and all-wheel drive configurations. The autobox version will be largely the same as the outgoing variants with power coming from a 2.2-litre mHawk diesel engine with 120 BHP and 280 Nm of torque. The AT unit will be a 6-speed self-shifting hydraulic gearbox. In terms of exterior differences, the earlier spy shots suggested of the ‘Automatic’ badging on the bottom left of the tailgate, while also expect similar badges on the front fenders.
Hyundai Creta effect?

MotorBeam

Last edited by RavenAvi : 30th June 2015 at 23:39.
RavenAvi is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 1st July 2015, 01:10   #2
BHPian

re: Mahindra Scorpio AT coming. EDIT, now launched

That's great news. Probably the Creta effect.

Why is it BSIII?? ATs would largely be sold in the metros and should be at least BSIV. Do we see some catch here?
vinayrathore is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st July 2015, 01:44   #3
Senior - BHPian

I am surprised why would it be a BS3 as the main market for these autos are BS4 areas. Let's hope its just a lapse of information
Old 1st July 2015, 12:37   #4
Senior - BHPian

This is great news! The Scorpio will fill the wide gap in the market for a diesel A/T competing with the Verna and Creta; and being the only SUV to provide 4wd with an automatic gearbox, it does have an edge over others. With its wide range of trim variants with optional A/T, this will surely eat into the sales of the Creta and S-Cross and many C-segment sedans.

I would have been more interested to see the XUV500 being offered with an A/T rather than this ladder-on-frame SUV. Nevertheless, a welcome move by Mahindra. It is one of the company which can read the pulse of the consumers and is quick to respond to the changing markets and demand/usage patterns.
S2!!! is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st July 2015, 15:21   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayrathore View Post
Why is it BSIII?
Good catch! Obviously a typo. I don't think the new Scorpio is even available in BSIII form. It's only BS4.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2015, 15:22   #6
Senior - BHPian

Re: SCOOP! Mahindra Scorpio AT coming!

Aha! Things are just getting better by the day. Just when I was thinking of finalising Creta AT, M&M comes up with Scorpio AT which they had discontinued in 2014. This only adds to my confusion. Somehow, boxy and big SUVs with their 2nd floor driving appeal to me. Oh that joy of towering over lesser minions! Like most Indians, me too am very much fascinated by Storme/Scorpio's more-mass/metal-for-less-moolah appeal. Totally paisa vasool! But this time around a formidable alternative in the form of Creta has surfaced to make the matters worse. Storme is out as there is no AT. So, it is a toss-up between Creta AT and Scorpio AT. Suggestions please.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2015, 17:31   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

great Scoop and about time, that said i am still extremely disappointed that XUV still does not have an AT. That is one mean ride which needs AT badly and it will just propel the sales numbers even more forward.
Old 1st July 2015, 20:55   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
So, it is a toss-up between Creta AT and Scorpio AT. Suggestions please.
Storme too should be out with its AT. This is what rumors suggest. Between Creta & Scorpio? You got to list your priority & go accordingly.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2015, 23:43   #9
BHPian

It looks like the XUV-AT is not ready yet. I think Mahindra is introducing this to counter attack the Creta, but I doubt the buyers are same. It may be possible for XUV to some extent.

Last edited by Aditya : 2nd July 2015 at 12:39. Reason: Typos
Old 2nd July 2015, 01:16   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...So, it is a toss-up between Creta AT and Scorpio AT. Suggestions please.
If you need a car which "looks" like a SUV, buy Creta. If you need a SUV, buy Scorpio. Guess this is the easiest I can suggest.
swiftnfurious is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2015, 08:50   #11
BNM
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd July 2015 at 12:57.
BNM is offline   Received Infraction
Old 2nd July 2015, 09:08   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So, it is a toss-up between Creta AT and Scorpio AT. Suggestions please.
Just one word of advice if you are leaning towards the Scorpio AT and are in no great hurry. Wait for 6-8 months after its launch so that M&M can sort out the gremlins in the initial batches based on feedback from the early adopters, a.k.a bakras, and then buy it.

If you want a vehicle in the near future, then the Creta it is.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2015, 12:39   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
This is great news! The Scorpio will fill the wide gap in the market for a diesel A/T competing with the Verna and Creta; and being the only SUV to provide 4wd with an automatic gearbox, it does have an edge over others. With its wide range of trim variants with optional A/T, this will surely eat into the sales of the Creta and S-Cross and many C-segment sedans.

I would have been more interested to see the XUV500 being offered with an A/T rather than this ladder-on-frame SUV. Nevertheless, a welcome move by Mahindra. It is one of the company which can read the pulse of the consumers and is quick to respond to the changing markets and demand/usage patterns.
As usual Mahindra has been reactive rather than proactive. The timing of the AT with the launch of the Creta is more than a co-incidence. High time the company gets its act together and aims to be an innovator rather than a follower
Old 2nd July 2015, 14:52   #14
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys for suggestion. Ah yes, the gremlins! I wonder what pre-launch extensive testing is about if it is not to iron out bugs. My mind still goes to Scorpio for the 2nd floor driving and butch looks but at the same time its contender Creta wins on novelty and feature-richness. Hmmm... tough fight. Got to check out Creta first in real to take a call. Sometimes pics can be deceptive.
Old 2nd July 2015, 17:42   #15
Senior - BHPian

Any idea whether it is a torque converter or a cvt or a DSG ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks