Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2015, 15:43   #31
BHPian

re: Mahindra Scorpio AT coming. EDIT, now launched

This is a double whammy since like most Automakers, Mahindra has also decided to offer the Automatic in the top version. I was waiting for the XUV AT (in W8) which now clearly is going to touch 20 Lakhs which to me a bit too much from a brand perspective.
Old 15th July 2015, 16:11   #32
Senior - BHPian

Die hard Scorpio fans, please don't pounce on me. As the Scorpio is a capable off-roader and work horse, they should have offered an AMT version instead and kept prices low.

The 6 speeder should have been retained for the XUV which can definitely command a premium not because of high quality and tech, but there are no competition in sight.

I wouldn't use a Scorpio to commute daily even if it had an AT. And only for the highways, I would prefer a manual.
Old 15th July 2015, 16:47   #33
Senior - BHPian

AT Diesel SUV is the next pick in the market. Creta launching it as first in that price range, also if you notice (atleast in Delhi) more than 80% of the Fortuner on the road are automatics. Wonder where have the old manual 4x4 (launch ones) disappeared from Delhi !

Its the need of the hour and Mahindra is doing right by launching it first in a scorpio which gets sold in good numbers and is a fast moving product. Its earlier avatar in AT was also sold in okayish numbers, not a hit like Fortuner AT.

I am keen on buying it. Will be going for TD once its available in showrooms and also look at Creta AT. Given that this is a 7 seater SUV makes my case for Scorpio more stronger.

Anyone has any info on the gearbox and its source ? Are any media drives happening for this ?

Last edited by tanwaramit : 15th July 2015 at 17:13.
tanwaramit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2015, 20:24   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Anyone has any info on the gearbox and its source ?
6-speed Automatic by Drivetrain Systems International (DSI), Australia. Now owned by Geely Auto, China.

LINK

Quote:
Are any media drives happening for this ?
Don't think so.
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2015, 20:32   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
6-speed Automatic by Drivetrain Systems International (DSI), Australia. Now owned by Geely Auto, China.
LINK
So its the same gearbox as earlier. Hopefully the issues faced by owners have been addressed.

Not sure what makes them so sure of people booking this without even a TD. Its a new (although old company) outsourced tech for Mahindra. Why not give some confidence to buyers first !

Last edited by tanwaramit : 15th July 2015 at 20:34.
Old 16th July 2015, 10:12   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
6-speed Automatic by Drivetrain Systems International (DSI), Australia. Now owned by Geely Auto, China
Quote:
So its the same gearbox as earlier. Hopefully the issues faced by owners have been addressed.
The AT gearbox in the previous version was first sourced from DSI, and then from Bosch after DSI stopped production.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...n-stopped.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ble-again.html

If the news on the ACI page is true, wonder what made them go back to DSI.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 16th July 2015, 10:16   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
The AT gearbox in the previous version was first sourced from DSI, and then from Bosch after DSI stopped production.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...n-stopped.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ble-again.html

If the news on the ACI page is true, wonder what made them go back to DSI.

Cheers,
Vikram
Going to Bosch was a speculation and there wasnt any confirmation from the company. It was all on the net about Bosch AT boxes, thanks to one site stating it and then everyone else stating the same.

As far as my conversation with Mahindra people, they never went to Bosch, its all internet hoopla.
tanwaramit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 11:43   #38
BHPian

Dear Mahindra team, Hyundai CRETA has received 10000 bookings with 30% supposedly for the Automatic and you still launch the old school gear box only in the top version @ 17 Lakhs in face of such competition. This is not cool. Now my hopes for XUV AT is completely dashed.
Old 16th July 2015, 11:46   #39
Senior - BHPian

I am sort of surprised In the Creta thread, people are going bonkers about AT not being available in the top version while Mahindra is being chided for doing the opposite.

Seems like the customers only want what is not there in the car I suppose. Same case with YRA coming in black interiors. I have read manufacturers being blamed for offering beige interiors while some had reservation even though the YRA came in all black trim.

Tough task selling cars to this crowd.
SchumiFan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 12:24   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
I am sort of surprised In the Creta thread, people are going bonkers about AT not being available in the top version while Mahindra is being chided for doing the opposite.

Seems like the customers only want what is not there in the car I suppose. Same case with YRA coming in black interiors. I have read manufacturers being blamed for offering beige interiors while some had reservation even though the YRA came in all black trim.

Personally, i feel Scorpio is too old a car to command such a premium. I know there was a new version recently, but it looks and feels like the old one. I would have been happier if they had launched an AT W10 version of the XUV 5OO.

Forget the automatic - I wouldnt go anywhere near the manual Scorpio as well, at these current prices.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 12:25   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post

The only solution would be to have 'made on order' basis for AT variants after paying substantial amount of money in advance.
If they want to have it, they will have it.

I think people want max safety + AT in any car
  • In Creta it was only in the top-end variant with 6 airbags so they wanted it in top end.
  • In Scorpio 'max safety features' begins from S4 variant, so they want it in that.
  • Same in the case of Ford Aspire.

What if a manufacturer launches Base version + full safety kit + AT (including other variants)?
E.g. Ford Aspire 1.5 Ambiente with 6 Airbags and ABS and DCT.
I would buy it in a heartbeat! (provided I have the dough!)
I also think very few will complain about that.
Old 21st July 2015, 15:50   #42
Senior - BHPian

Now that Creta pricing is out, shouldn't we see some activity on this thread now. I'm sure 2WD AT Scorp would be priced less than Creta AT. I think Teambhp should do a comparo of these two AT SUVs. They may be different sized but price-wise, they are on the same plane.
Old 21st July 2015, 16:37   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Now that Creta pricing is out, shouldn't we see some activity on this thread now.
Shows exactly where Mahindra missed a trick, by launching the AT version in the more utilitarian Scorpio as compared to their urban product - XUV 5OO.

I'm sure XUV 5OO would have received a much better response, the effects of Creta pricing notwithstanding.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 16:59   #44
BANNED

Re: SCOOP! Mahindra Scorpio AT coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Just one word of advice if you are leaning towards the Scorpio AT and are in no great hurry. Wait for 6-8 months after its launch so that M&M can sort out the gremlins in the initial batches based on feedback from the early adopters, a.k.a bakras, and then buy it.
If you want a vehicle in the near future, then the Creta it is.
Cheers,
Vikram
I'll go with the first & hold judgement on the second.
It is a great idea to wait a while before taking the plunge on a new serious add-on.......and an auto transmission is certainly serious. Ironing out the initial glitches takes a while. Getting enough market feedback & then acting on them - something which M&M is good at. So yes, a few months down the line and the Scorpio auto should be a good bet.

About the Creta's future - well there's no talk yet of any AWD/4WD on the horizon. And without even that basic abuse-friendly ruggedness of the body-on-ladder frame structure of the Scorpio, or the 90 mm deficit in the WB and not to forget the neck & neck pricing.......I would say a good bit of head-scratching would be called for.
Shashanka
Old 21st July 2015, 17:24   #45
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Personally, i feel Scorpio is too old a car to command such a premium. I know there was a new version recently, but it looks and feels like the old one. I would have been happier if they had launched an AT W10 version of the XUV 5OO.
Forget the automatic - I wouldnt go anywhere near the manual Scorpio as well, at these current prices.
Personally I'd say you're stepping on hallowed ground - the Scorpio has been proving its cojones for over 12 years now. And if memory serves me right Mr. Carlos Ghosn was moved to say that he was personally keen to meet the team who came up with Scorpio (when the M&M and Renault romance was in the air).
The XUV 500 is an urban SUV now - till fairly recently it was still a pretender when, very wisely, M&M introduced the AWD version. It will always lack the body-on-ladder frame durability/ruggedness of the Scorpio.
Which in my humble view makes it more of a boulevardier than an SUV.
With the Creta not really anywhere near in the same frame.
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks