Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2015, 19:35   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio AT coming. EDIT, now launched

I had been planning to book Creta diesel AT, but the prices disappointed me. I am not yet convinced to pay more than Scorpio AT for Creta diesel AT. Considering that Scorpio is cheaper in Mumbai than Delhi by cool 53k.

Scorpio being true SUV with 7/8 seater options and the rugged body and behavior, sitting tall on the road. Also, the new version of Scorpio is much better than the last version.

Only concern is reliability and long term behaviour, which I think Scorpio will not disappoint as we have the Brahmastra (as called in Ramayana). Anand Mahindra on Twitter, if no help comes through and all roads are closed, one option as a last resort is open and it will be heard for sure for issues related to Scorpio.

However, while going through latest Autocar print edition, I read that it mentions that Scorpio with DSI AT boxes is a temporary feature and Mahindra is going to launch Aisin AT box in XUV in 2016 and then same box in Scorpio in 2017.

So this current AT box is not a long term plan for M&M.

Now I am confused if I should wait Or buy the current model.

Anyone else in a similar dilemma ?
tanwaramit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2015, 14:31   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Mahindra Scorpio to get Aisin six-speed auto in 2016.

The Scorpio gets the same automatic gearbox seen in the earlier car, which is a six-speed unit from DSI of Australia, but is now tweaked to improve shift quality.
The current AT gearbox is only a stopgap arrangement, as Mahindra is working on bringing the new Aisin six-speed automatic gearbox for the new Scorpio in 2016. It will be mated to the same, 2179cc mHawk engine producing 118bhp and 28.55kgm of torque.

Quote:
This new gearbox by Aisin will be a latest-generation transmission (known as ‘Version 4’), which is yet to be launched, and an improvement on the current six-speed TF-80SC unit that drives cars like the Volvo S80, Peugeot 508 and Cadillac SRX. The unit will be first launched in the XUV500 automatic in 2016.
http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...16-396665.aspx

Last edited by volkman10 : 3rd August 2015 at 14:32.
Old 4th August 2015, 09:36   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Makes me wonder why any rational knowledgeable person will buy the current DSI gearbox-equipped Scorpio in light of this news.

Maybe I'm a pessimist in these matters but I would expect severe sales and support issues few years down the line.
Old 4th August 2015, 10:10   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Makes me wonder why any rational knowledgeable person will buy the current DSI gearbox-equipped Scorpio in light of this news.

Maybe I'm a pessimist in these matters but I would expect severe sales and support issues few years down the line.
there can only be one reason or two ..

1. Now if there is a long waiting period for 'made-to-order' Scorpio AT then an excuse is ready at hand. "Saar we are making very few on order only saar, u see tha gearbox is discontinued onlee" And very few will bother M&M with Scorpio AT orders.

2. Aisin 6-Speed AT was such a big corporate bargain that M&M could not keep it's excitement curtailed about it and went to town with it.
Old 5th August 2015, 09:46   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post

Well,
I have booked an S10 2WD auto last week and still going to stick to my booking. As this is my second AT Scorpio, I know that this gearbox is a trusty and proven one, at least for me.
A new gearbox scares me as I don't know how it would behave and its quality. I make sure that I don't end up purchasing 1st generation of any new product as it would need some time to mature.
About the support issues, I know examples where Mahindra swapped older DSI gearboxes with the current generation Bosch ones; thus I don't see a reason why Bosch ones cannot be replaced with Asin ones, if required.
Old 5th August 2015, 12:54   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by purohitanuj View Post
Well,
I have booked an S10 2WD auto last week and still going to stick to my booking. As this is my second AT Scorpio, I know that this gearbox is a trusty and proven one, at least for me.
A new gearbox scares me as I don't know how it would behave and its quality. I make sure that I don't end up purchasing 1st generation of any new product as it would need some time to mature.
About the support issues, I know examples where Mahindra swapped older DSI gearboxes with the current generation Bosch ones; thus I don't see a reason why Bosch ones cannot be replaced with Asin ones, if required.
Scorpio always came with DSI GB. AFAIK, it never came with Bosch box. New box is same as the one sold until 2014. Aisin box is next up. That will be even better than DSI. But yes, DSI box in itself not bad. Actually, it is very good on Scorpio.
Old 5th August 2015, 13:59   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Scorpio always came with DSI GB. AFAIK, it never came with Bosch box. New box is same as the one sold until 2014. Aisin box is next up. That will be even better than DSI. But yes, DSI box in itself not bad. Actually, it is very good on Scorpio.
I think its Bosch now. Even my service representative confirms the same. The article is posted here as well.
Old 5th August 2015, 14:42   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think its Bosch now. Even my service representative confirms the same. The article is posted here as well.
Thats not an article, but some people commenting on certain stories doing the rounds of internet.

Using AT boxes requires lot of work on integration and Mahindra had been using DSI only till now and its claimed by autocarindia that it will be replaced by Aisin next year.

The Bosch AT boxes are CVT boxes only. See here

Quote:
Bosch Transmission Technoloy has many years of combined knowledge and experience within the business, both in the entire CVT design, as the manufacturing of pushbelts.
Source - http://www.bosch.nl/transmission_tec.../html/5854.htm
Old 9th August 2015, 19:49   #69
Senior - BHPian

I took a TD of Scorpio AT today. Coming from a Santro, Scorpio felt miles ahead for me. However, the gears changing/not changing when I want to was a bit irritant to me. Being used to manual transmission cars, I didn't like it. It seems one has to adjust (compromise) driving style for the AT car.

There is a delay in changing the gears and, No, one cannot compete with other cars when signals turn green.

Want to know is this specific to AT cars Or the Scorpio was causing this issue in AT.

Test drive was good, the guys came to my home and explained all the features and didn't mind a long test drive.

Quote:
As this is my second AT Scorpio, I know that this gearbox is a trusty and proven one, at least for me.
If its not personal, can you share what happened to your first AT Scorpio ?
Old 9th August 2015, 21:54   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
I took a TD of Scorpio AT today. Coming from a Santro, Scorpio felt miles ahead for me. However, the gears changing/not changing when I want to was a bit irritant to me. Being used to manual transmission cars, I didn't like it. It seems one has to adjust (compromise) driving style for the AT car.

There is a delay in changing the gears and, No, one cannot compete with other cars when signals turn green.

Want to know is this specific to AT cars Or the Scorpio was causing this issue in AT.

Test drive was good, the guys came to my home and explained all the features and didn't mind a long test drive.

I have driven 3/4 Scorpio ATs and trust me the car just flies. Except one recent used one which i wanted to buy but it had some issues with AT box. All the other AT Scorpios that I drove were just fantastic. Heck, I found it to be better accelerating than even Fortuner AT.
pgsagar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 10:00   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post

Well my first one is still in use and is a workhorse! Need a second one due further requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
I have driven 3/4 Scorpio ATs and trust me the car just flies. Except one recent used one which i wanted to buy but it had some issues with AT box. All the other AT Scorpios that I drove were just fantastic. Heck, I found it to be better accelerating than even Fortuner AT.
I agree. Once you get the workings of it, you will be the first one to take off from signal and other cars will only get smaller in that rear view mirror.
The additional 6th gear means that 100 Kmph comes at ~2K rpm.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 10th August 2015 at 10:09. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts. Please use the Multi-Quote button to reply to more than one post at a time. Thanks.
purohitanuj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 15:08   #72
Senior - BHPian

This is getting really confusing with all the different accounts coming through. Compounded by the fact that the local Mahindra dealer does not have an Auto for TD. Looks like it's again time for reaching out to the top levels for a thing as simple as a TD!!
Old 10th August 2015, 16:02   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Mahindra has really not understood the Market and having been for so many interviews with their product planning team for a job there, I kind of understand why.

1) Scorpio is an SUV which mostly sells in non metro cities/rural areas/smaller towns/commercial segment/farmers than in big metros.

2) People in these area's have a particular mindset, Automatic = less mileage, expensive to repair, can't get used to driving without a clutch, apne ko nahi jamega, etc etc.

3) So a Scorpio Automatic and that too in the highest version will not create any ripples because it's customer base is mainly people who will not buy an automatic.

4) AN XUV 5oo on the other hand is something people in cities buy, it has the image quotient to it too, not to mention the style statement and panache which Scorpio just does not have. Hence an Automatic in the XUV would have gained a lot of buyers and accolades from people. They already have launched it in Algeria long time back, I don't know why not just bring it here. It was such a brilliant opportunity to have launched the XUV 5oo Automatic some months back when there was no car in the segment which had an Automatic, would have picked up like wildfire and created a base for itself already which the Creta would have to fight.

Now Creta is a clean sweep winner, Scorpio and its roots are NO MATCH for the Creta in the Automatic segment.

Absolutely spot on humyun can't agree with you more. M& M should indeed have the A/T version on the XUV before the Scorpio. The creta primarily an urban 'SUV' competes directly with the xuv not the Scorpio. On the other hand as you rightly said the xuv A/T will have many more takers than the Scorpio
Old 6th September 2015, 13:45   #74
Senior - BHPian

Just went through the workshop manual, and the The Scorpio has a Bosch AT, and it is a pushbelt type CVT, so it dosent have the rubberband effect of conventional CVT's.
Also came to know the XUV500 with the Bosch trannies are being exported, but India will only have the Aisin ones whenever they are launched.
Old 14th September 2015, 12:33   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
This is getting really confusing with all the different accounts coming through. Compounded by the fact that the local Mahindra dealer does not have an Auto for TD. Looks like it's again time for reaching out to the top levels for a thing as simple as a TD!!
Any luck with this? I am in the same boat as you. Have you closed the deal by now?

I took my wife to see the Creta last weekend and that was rejected due to the fact that it will be difficult to seat even 5 people in the vehicle. Also the Creta did not give a true SUV feel to it; it was more like a slightly larger hatch back.

This weekend is a trip to the Mahindra showroom. I am for the Scorpio simply because it is a real SUV and has an automatic version. In fact it has an automatic 4wd. That is truly tempting.

Most Viewed