Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2015, 09:49   #61
BHPian

Re: Team-BHP Scoop Pics! Maruti YRA / Fronx Hatchback, uncamouflaged!

First and foremost , half of the public will pronounce it as "Fox"!

the first impressions suggest being it more of an elongated swift , as others members pointed on but i guess it will outclass elite i20 easily, its a Maruti which is being regarded as a safe bet by consumers. secondly, it might be priced 20K less than the competitors.

i believe these 2 parameters make it an ideal choice...looks are subjective but i like the rear angle the best(looks like a cayenne)
Old 3rd July 2015, 10:01   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Fronx is basically a better swift. Bigger in size, better features, more premium and hopefully better interiors. Why would this car not sell if priced properly?
I like the way you think sir. It should do well in our Maruti loving market, especially with the 1.0T engine that should be highly fuel efficient.

Quote:
However there is a big challenge for this car.
How will it distinguish itself from S Cross? S cross to me is more of a super spacious premium hatch than a crossover. There will be a lot of cross shopping. I guess thats why Maruti has not brought in the petrol version of S Cross which we might probably see only on the Fronx.
I don't think it's a challenge for Fronx to distinguish itself from S-Cross or even the YBA small crossover SUV. If Fronx is sub 4 meter, buyer won't get confused as S-Cross is a bigger car. Even if it's not, it would still be smaller in dimensions. Then engine capacity, the projected crossover looks of the S-Cross, pricing, bigger and broader tyres would definitely be sufficient to make this difference quite clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aficionados View Post
The basic question is, will it impose any threat to the dazzling Elite i20 which is selling like a hot cake?
IMO, fronx looks like Ciaz at front (thanks to the similar looking headlamp cluster) and more of a celerio (taillamp) at rear, thus making it a typical 'offend none please all' type of MSIL design. Elite i20 has set a high benchmark now for premium hatch and it is difficult to match at least for maruti guys
Will it look as good as the Elite i20, answer is nobody knows. I for one, like the side profile. There is excessive chrome in front and boot lip that looks garish, but we Indians love chrome. I have a feeling that this car will look much better than what we are seeing in these photos. And looks alone don't make sales. It is a Maruti after all, with aggressive pricing, an efficient 1.0T new petrol engine, it sounds good enough to me. Elite i20 lacks in it's petrol option. The 1.2 kappa definitely feels underpowered for that car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
Don't want to debate on Swift's characteristics But I believe Fronx is supposed to be a sub-4M hatch.

It will only get the 1/1.2 P and 1.3L D engines (I think I read it somewhere). Thus enabling it to qualify for the excise cuts. I see a price reduction for Swift/Dzire and slotting in Fronx somewhere in the middle of the price range. Its top end being closer to the base of Ciaz.

I like the car. It is long and wide and the side profile looks European. If it rides well, it should sell. Don't forget none of the premium hatchbacks come with Projector lights yet (i20 Active being a Cross rather than a hatch itself).

Alternatively, Elite i20 cost 8.05L and i20 Active SX costs 8.9L Ex-Delhi while the Swift and Dzire cost 7.2L and 7.8L respectively. Lots of space to fit the Fronx in between them
Quite right. There is a market for B+ hatches and Hyundai has shown the way. Now it's Maruti's time to jump in with a bang, Honda's too. For the sake of pulling customers to their showrooms, my guess is that Maruti will price Fronx aggressively, undercutting the Elite i20 and the Jazz and offering the 1.2 k series petrol in lower trims while keeping the new Boosterjet reserved for the top end. I also see multiple variants ala the S-Cross providing options for the same car across a wider range. This has worked for Hyundai for quite some time now and Maruti has learnt their lesson now.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd July 2015 at 15:09. Reason: Typos
itsashishsharma is offline   Received Infraction
Old 3rd July 2015, 10:08   #63
BANNED

Interesting times are ahead.

IMO:

Fronx will eat into Swift, DZire and i20 sales because of the under-4m size, space and luxury,
Creta will eat into the Ecosport and Duster sales because of its butch looks and luxury,
SCross 1.3 will eat into the i20, Ertiga and Ciaz sales because of its 'neutral' looks and luxury,
Jazz will eat into i20 because of the Honda badge and space on offer,
Maruti YBA compact SUV will eat into Swift, DZire, i20 and Ecosport because of its SUV looks, and under-4m size...

What else are coming?

Earlier, Maruti was crowding the sub-5 lakh segment with many models overlapping each other, like Alto800, K10, WagonR, Celerio, Ritz and Swift. Now, they are crowding the 5-10L segment with models like Fronx, YBA, DZire, Ciaz, Ertiga and SCross.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 3rd July 2015 at 10:16.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2015, 11:01   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post

What else are coming?
Aspire, Kwid, New Go, Kite?
War is coming!
Old 3rd July 2015, 14:06   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Maruti Suzuki YRA to come with DRL Inserted Projectors headlamps,, spied on test.

Attachment 1388511

Source:Gaadiwaadi
That's some mean looking headlamp & DRL. Will Maruti offer this for Indian market?

Hope to drive a 1.6 diesel black YRA in the near future. Since I am not a big fan of chrome, I would delete it as soon as the car rolls out

Just PSéd to see how it will look without chrome:
Team-BHP Scoop Pics! Maruti YRA / Fronx Hatchback, uncamouflaged!-marutisuzukiyra2.jpg

Last edited by clevermax : 3rd July 2015 at 14:07.
clevermax is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2015, 22:58   #66
BHPian

A friend at their R&D shared info, the YRA will probably be called the GV and come in the 5-8 Lakh segment with a 1.3
Also, the alto will see a new revamp like the stingray.
Old 4th July 2015, 00:46   #67
BHPian

I sincerely feel that manufacturers need some skill or may be a seperate department who don't kill the aesthetic feel of the car. First, they slap chrome in an absurd manner- look at rear of Creta, front of S-cross. Then they name their cars as Fronx. I spelled it 2-3 times in continuation and felt like Himesh Reshammiya. And I am in splits when I think of how the name of the car will be pronounced by people in sub-urban or interior of the states.

Coming back to the car, in the current avatar, I am thinking what is USP of this car that can challenge the likes of i20 and Jazz. Exterior looks are pale of this Maruti when compared to snazzy looking i20 and Jazz. On space, you can't beat Jazz. On equipment, i20 and Jazz are pretty much loaded vis a vis Maruti. You will not plonk 1.6L diesel mill in this car. Coming to handling, I will first compare it with Swift. What reason are you giving to someone who is upgrading from a Wagon-R/Alto/Santro to buy Fronx and not Swift or Dzire? And why should someone buy Fronx and not i20/Jazz. I am confused.
So all in all, the only thing which is left is brand name. The customer in this bracket is certainly not the one which looks at Maruti in the same way like an entry level customer does. And as much as there is a section of the customers who are loyal to Maruti owing to good experience with their earlier cars, there is a sizeable percentage which also thinks the other way- I have/had a Maruti, I need a change. So the brand on its own cannot pull the numbers for a considerable period for a customer who is now getting more educated with every passing day.
The reasoning that Maruti will cut the price on Swift to accomodate Frog, sorry Fronx also is a risky proposition. Why fix something if it ain't broke!!!
headbanger is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2015, 21:56   #68
Senior - BHPian

Rear end head on reminds me of a 1 series hatch, seems to have a decent rear overhang compared to others like Bolt or the Swift; which can translate into better boot space?
Nice to see 'grown up' hatch market slugging it out
Old 6th July 2015, 00:20   #69
Team-BHP Support

Had posted this in the original YRA thread long back - the design really needed horizontal headlamps rather than vertical IMO. Sad to see the same design retained close to production as well.

Team-BHP Scoop Pics! Maruti YRA / Fronx Hatchback, uncamouflaged!-marutiyrarendering.jpg

Team-BHP Scoop Pics! Maruti YRA / Fronx Hatchback, uncamouflaged!-marutiyrarendering_ciaz.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th July 2015, 06:38   #70
BHPian

This car, in my opinion, looks ugly. Purely subjective I realise. It has nothing going for it in terms of looks, kit or USP. Not sure why the designers wanted it to look so much like a swift unless they were to discontinue it.
Old 6th July 2015, 08:53   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Had posted this in the original YRA thread long back - the design really needed horizontal headlamps rather than vertical IMO. Sad to see the same design retained close to production as well.
You couldn't be more right sir. That is such a drastic change in overall front looks that it makes the car look much better than the first picture. Have you put S-cross' or Ciaz's head-lamps in the second picture? Maruti didn't even need to design a new head-lamp assembly, they could just use it from Fronx's bigger siblings.
Old 6th July 2015, 09:38   #72
Senior - BHPian

If you put even more sleeker horizontal lamp design like in VW, it would change the front character all together. Not sure what these guys think extending the lamp almost to the windshield area :(
Old 8th July 2015, 12:25   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Y
Maruti has imported 60 Engine Sets- K10C MT(PETROL-1000CC ENGINE FOR AUTOMOBILE) in 2015.IMO, it is still low in number, if the expectation is for an OCT launch.
Most probably it looks to be a Global launch in Auto Expo -2016.
Suzuki is gearing up to launch the YRA (iK-2) in the European market in the next two to three months, but India launch seem in 2016.

Seems Fronx isn’t the name for the YRA. Maruti Suzuki won’t be introducing the YRA this year and it will be introducing it sometime by mid-2016.

Quote:
Suzuki will want to name it with an S itself as per our sources close to Suzuki Europe. The names could be S-Sense, Swanky or Sowel. Though it is a bit too early but it will have its names from S most likely.

Now, the new two products will be the S-Cross and Vitara Brezza for India.

http://motoroctane.com/news/15351-ma...unch-closes-in

Last edited by volkman10 : 8th July 2015 at 12:27.
Old 10th July 2015, 09:20   #74
BHPian

To be honest, I really don't mind the side profile of the car. What plays spoilsport is the front, as others have mentioned. In any case, with Maruti, a facelift is never too far away.
Old 10th July 2015, 10:06   #75
BANNED

Done an editing on the earlier scoop by Gaadiwadi. Lowered the height of the passenger cabin at the front. That gives it a more sporty appeal, IMO.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHP Scoop Pics! Maruti YRA / Fronx Hatchback, uncamouflaged!-marutisuzukiyraside_2_1.jpg  

Team-BHP Scoop Pics! Maruti YRA / Fronx Hatchback, uncamouflaged!-marutisuzukiyraside_1_1.jpg  

Last edited by romeomidhun : 10th July 2015 at 10:09.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks