Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2015, 16:30   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Battle of the Cities! City-wise car sales data

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
Pune tops two wheeler sales with 38% of the population owning one, followed by Ahmedabad with 28% Chennai and Lucknow tie for a distant third with 21%.
http://www.wricities.org/sites/defau...BARQ-India.pdf In absolute numbers too it is Pune Ahmedabad Chennai Hyderabad.

Rahul
Not sure if its correct. Percentage population owning is not the same as total numbers. Couple of years ago I had read that Bengaluru has the maximum number of two wheelers and in fact the numbers were equal to next few cities combined.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...cle5172137.ece

http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga...w/45015765.cms

Last edited by srishiva : 9th July 2015 at 16:42.
Old 9th July 2015, 17:09   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Curious to know what is the source of this data/statistics. Is it primary source with actual sales figures or interpolation of various other statistics? I couldn't find this information. Just academic interest.
The raw data is from an official source. The Analysis and grouping is done by me.
Old 9th July 2015, 21:46   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
Does the de-growth apply to "Chennai metropolitan area" as a whole? I would be a bit surprised if it did, not to mention being a bit more relieved!

How are the four zones defined?

Some clarification on this would help. Thanks!
Hi, the degrowth of Chennai doesnt include places like Kanchipuram, as this forms a separate district, similarly even for Bangalore places like Malur, Kanakapura which doesnt constitute for Bangalore Urban district doesnt qualify for sales under Bangalore as shown in this report. Data constitutes of sales registered in RTOs which are associated with the particular city.

As per Zones the classification are as follows
South: Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Tamil Nadu, Kerala & Pondicherry
North: Delhi, UP, Haryana, Punjab, Rajasthan, J&K, Himachal, Chandigarh & Uttarakhand
West: Maharashtra, Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Chattishgarh, Goa, Dadra & Nagar Haveli, Diu & Daman
East: North East, West Bengal, Bihar, Jharkand, Orissa, Andaman & Nicobar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajr747 View Post
Wonder what is the car sales for Mangalore City which has one of the highest car ownership per capita in India
Hi, Mangalore has sold total of 12,435 cars during Apr'14-Mar-15, out of which premium sedans and premium SUVs are 178 units (excluding German 3 and Jags)

Last edited by Eddy : 15th July 2015 at 13:56. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!
slamnos is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2015, 10:39   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdm View Post
What an amazing thread & it's equally amazing to know the number of car's sold in each segment in the top ten cities. It's a very interesting data you have put on. I wasn't expecting Coimbatore to figure in top 20 auto markets. Some really amazing facts & figures.
Coimbatore is actually a very good market for cars . The second most preferred destintion in TN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamnos View Post
I shall share Mangalore specific sales data separately.

In terms of cars/1000 Mangalore might be above average but in terms of absolute numbers especially in premium cars it's no where close to Top 10 cities.
I think it is 40 per thousand for Mangalore.It would be nice if someone could find the latest information.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 11th July 2015 at 08:21. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please edit your post within the 30 minute edit window to add/edit your posts.
Old 11th July 2015, 03:15   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Here is a quick sheet put up with the calculation of cars sold per thousand people in each of these cities. As expected, the smaller cities in Kerala seems to be leading the pack.

The population is taken from wikipedia which may not be up-to-date or include the larger "metropolitan area" in most cases.
Kochi and Calicut have UA population of nearly 2 million . I wonder why this population was not taken into account.
Old 11th July 2015, 11:31   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSM_TorqueZoner View Post
Interesting thread indeed. Cochin in the top 10 is least surprising considering super tight jams we encounter everywhere everyday . Cities like Delhi & Mumbai have more than 10 Million in population, while Kochi has just around half a million! However, the road infrastructure here is as pathetic as it can get . It seriously makes me wonder what all road tax collections in the state translates into. Even if the government were to spend a fraction of what they earned via road taxes on land transport infrastructure, situation would have been been drastically different.

I'm sure this analysis has some interesting insights in store.
Kochi UA population is more than 2 million . The same for Calicut ,Thrissur ,TVM etc. This is what the Kerala govt in the last census. So when you calculate the cars per thousand this population has to be considered and not just the city population because in Kerala lot of people reside outside city limits . Although I agree that there is an increased car sales in Kerala the density per thousand is a but skewed as the population figures are not right. Someone hopefully will set this right. The bet solution around it is to take the district population and count the number of cars . I think this is the most scientific way of finding car ownership.The density of population is very high in Kerala . Coupled with high car sales there will always be traffic jams as density of cars per sq km is high. This should not be confused with high car ownership. The roads is most Kerala cities are still narrow and infrastructure development has not kept pace with other Indian cities. That is another reason for traffic jams . Would welcome comments .
ajr747 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2015, 16:29   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamnos View Post
The raw data is from an official source. The Analysis and grouping is done by me.
Very interesting stats!
Curious to know the sales trend of premium/luxury vehicles (above 30 lacs). Any data on the same?
Old 11th July 2015, 17:02   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
Very interesting stats!
Curious to know the sales trend of premium/luxury vehicles (above 30 lacs). Any data on the same?
Unfortunately few European OEMs do not share their details. The information remains a secret to all.

But I believe it follows similar trend as Upper Sedans and SUVs
slamnos is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2015, 18:56   #54
BHPian

The fact that three cities from the tiny, non- industrialist State of Kerala has made it to the list reinforces the consumerist culture of the State. The State also scores high on conspicuous consumption and what better product than a car to 'keep up with the Jonses'.

But given the poor roads and the lack of land to built new ones, travelling on the roads, which is now a nightmare will become next to impossible soon.
Old 11th July 2015, 22:33   #55

Wow Bengaluru seems to have have the highest growth in terms of auto sales despite Karnataka having one of the highest taxes. Many luxury cars have opened up shops in Bengaluru and in my lane itself i see each house having minimum 2 cars.
Bengaluru's infrastructure cannot handle such a growth. Any amount of flyovers will not solve if it continues. We need more smart cities and IT spreading to those as well.
A well organised planned public transport system seems to be a solution but if it takes so many years to get a metro i do not see a quick solution nearby.

In Singapore it is very expensive to own and drive a car. Wary of the fact that uncontrolled growth in the number of vehicles will result in traffic jams in road scarce Singapore, the government has implemented a range of measures to manage car ownership and usage. These include the Certificate of Entitlement (COE), Vehicle Quota System (VQS), road taxes and Electronic Road Pricing (ERP). All motor vehicles must be registered with the Land Transport Authority (LTA).
AjMusto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2015, 02:32   #56
BHPian

Those are interesting statistics! 50% new cars owned are in the top 10 cities was a surprising fact to know. More importantly, no level of good public transport (be it metro, BRTS, monorail,etc.) or professional self-drives (Zoom, etc.) can stop people from buying new cars.
Month on month these numbers keep growing and the roads are same, their width is same, time at which people travel is same. This indicates how more logged future jams would be.

Another interesting fact to know was Delhi/NCR along has more sales than combined either of (BLR+HYD+MAA) or (AHM+BOM+PNQ)!! Metro service is probably not appealing to the residents but roads like Noida - Greater Noida Eway or DND/Barapulla are more appealing for a racy drive!
ameyawaghmare is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2015, 15:59   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkumarsarat View Post
The fact that three cities from the tiny, non- industrialist State of Kerala has made it to the list reinforces the consumerist culture of the State. The State also scores high on conspicuous consumption and what better product than a car to 'keep up with the Jonses'.

But given the poor roads and the lack of land to built new ones, travelling on the roads, which is now a nightmare will become next to impossible soon.
I think the reason for that is Kerala industries are all located in the Persian Gulf ;-)
Old 13th July 2015, 16:29   #58
Senior - BHPian

What happened to the monthly sales report on the website?. I don't remember seeing it for July .Will it not come for July?
geeash is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2015, 13:54   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeash View Post
What happened to the monthly sales report on the website?. I don't remember seeing it for July .Will it not come for July?
I'll second that, I have been using the search on a daily basis and nothing is coming out.
Mods - we are waiting !!!
Old 26th July 2015, 13:22   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindrider2626 View Post
The cars per thousand people is highest in kerala.Calicut ,Kochi and Trivandrum tops the whole list in the country.A total mystery how this is happening, considering no productive industries in kerala except remittance from gulf.I think the whole country follows the kerala method to prosperity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
As per this website: http://www.mapsofindia.com/top-ten-c...ownership.html

Chandigarh has the highest per-capita cars India. Here the list.

1 Chandigarh
2 Delhi
3 Panaji
4 Chennai
5 Alappuzha
6 Shimla
7 Vadodara
8 Cherthala
9 Coimbatore
10 Thiruvananthapuram

I do not think that he cars per thousand is the highest in Kerala .I think Delhi and Chandigarh still take that position. One cannot calculate the cars per thousand populations from the sales in a year. There are some smaller Kerala towns which have a high car ownership but you you take the total number of cars and calculate with the whole population then it would give the right figure. The UA or district population have not been taken into consideration while calculating the car ownership.

The best was to do it is to calculate the district population and total cars in the district.I would welcome if anyone could get hold of the statistics.It is true that Kerala has a high car ownership though not historically. All this has happened over the past ten years.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks