Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2015, 14:36   #1
BHPian

Battle of the Cities! City-wise car sales data

Hello Lads, here is some compelling data about how the Top Cities of India contribute to sales of 4 wheelers.

As it happens about 50% car sales in India is contributed by top 10 cities, extremely skewed as compared to developed countries, nonetheless this post does show some surprising variations based on various segments and also key growing car markets in India.

Let me start with zone-wise sales, the below map shows the split between our 4 zones.

North is the biggest car market courtesy Delhi+NCR, followed by South with Bangalore, Hyderabad & Chennai contributing, then comes West with major contribution from Mumbai, Pune& Ahmedabad and East follows at the last, with Kolkata contributing a fare share.

Battle of the Cities! City-wise car sales data-india-map.png

NOTE:
1. The sales period considered is between April 2014 to March 2015.
2. The cars considered under each segment might vary from the report presented in “Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis” presented in Team BHP monthly, and the cars in each segment have been listed in respective segment wise graphs in the following post

NOTE:
For simplicity in representation, the following regions have been grouped
1. Delhi : includes New Delhi, Gurgaon, Noida, Faridabad & Ghaziabad
2. Mumbai: includes Mumbai, Navi Mumbai & Thane
3. Hyderabad: includes Hyderabad & Secunderabad
4. Chandigarh: includes Chandigarh, Mohali & Panchkula

This grouping of the above mentioned cities is consistent in all the data shown in this thread and other major cities like Bangalore, Chennai, Pune etc are defined by the sales happened in the defined district boundaries.

So here goes the Top 10 cities for the Total Industry Volumes (excluding Premium & Imports)

Battle of the Cities! City-wise car sales data-tiv.png

Top 10 Cities for Lower Hatch:
Note: Tata Nano is not included as confirmed data was unavailable

Battle of the Cities! City-wise car sales data-lower-hatch.png

Upper Hatch:

Battle of the Cities! City-wise car sales data-upper-hatch.png

Sub-4 Metre Sedans

Battle of the Cities! City-wise car sales data-sub4-sedan.png

Lower Sedans:

Battle of the Cities! City-wise car sales data-lower-sedan.png

Upper Sedans:

Battle of the Cities! City-wise car sales data-upper-sedan.png

Passenger MPV:

Battle of the Cities! City-wise car sales data-mpv.png

Lower SUV:

Battle of the Cities! City-wise car sales data-lower-suv.png

Upper SUV:

Battle of the Cities! City-wise car sales data-upper-suv.png

Cross Overs:

Battle of the Cities! City-wise car sales data-cross-overs.png

The below graph shows the segmentwise contribution in the Top 10 cities.

Battle of the Cities! City-wise car sales data-citywise.png

The following is the list of Top 20 Auto Markets (FY 2014)

Battle of the Cities! City-wise car sales data-top-20.jpg

The below graph shows the growth/degrowth of Top 10 Auto Markets in comparison with FY’13

Battle of the Cities! City-wise car sales data-growth.png

Thank you for reading & I hope this post was informative.

Mods: I did search thoroughly about a thread with similar data, I couldnt find one, if it exists alrady kindly excuse me and append this post accordingly.
slamnos is offline   (108) Thanks
Old 8th July 2015, 14:58   #2
BHPian

re: Battle of the Cities! City-wise car sales data

Very very informative thread. An eye opener that Delhi and NCR volumes are very high when compared to other cities. In almost every segment, it's numbers are double of its next contender. Don't mind but where did you get the data from?
petrolveins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2015, 15:45   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

This list can also be classified as the top 10 cities to avoid settling down / living in, within the next decade. Ok that was a joke, maybe. The trend looks about the same as 6-8 months back when I read it on TOI. Delhi seems to top the list and that's no surprise.. a short visit there should make it very obvious with many families possessing 2-3 vehicles and one among them would always be a large MUV/SUV. I still wonder if New Delhi is the chief contributor to the sales growth or is it NCR (which is not even remotely Delhi IMO). NCR adds much more area to the region (3-4 small satellite cities) so the growth may not affect roads as yet.

Bangalore is way up there in the list still, unfortunately. It simply doesn't possess the roads, either quality or width to accommodate this motley of bikes, autos, cars, cabs, buses you name it. Its seriously going to burst at its seams at this rate, different from the hundreds of times water pipes burst due to unstoppable digging by BBMP.

The only reason Mumbai is lower down is because people are already aware of the traffic scene there and avoid owning a car unless absolutely necessary. The presence of locals and a fairly organized public transport service makes having a car all the more redundant for people who have to travel long distances.

Growth is good and all, but I seriously hope future growth is a little more balanced & spreads out to other developing cities like Pune, Indore, Mysore etc. Scary statistics the way it stands.
dark.knight is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 8th July 2015, 15:52   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
I still wonder if New Delhi is the chief contributor to the sales growth or is it NCR (which is not even remotely Delhi IMO). NCR adds much more area to the region (3-4 small satellite cities) so the growth may not affect roads as yet.
NCR is contributing almost as equal to New Delhi, but in terms of absolute numbers New Delhi is slightly higher, however NCR is growing at a higher rate than New Delhi.
slamnos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2015, 16:29   #5
BHPian

The vast differnece between the numbers for Delhi and Bombay could be attributed to a very vast and organised public transport network. A huge combination of suburban trains running on 4 lines (Western, Central, Harbour, Trans - harbour) + BEST buses + 1 metro line (VAG corridor)+ 1 Mono rail line (Wadala - Chembur) , all contributing to keeping the car volumes low as compared to Delhi. I have not included the Auto and Taxi fellows here,thoough they are large in number simply because they have started behaving like any auto wallah from a tier 2 city. The reliabilty that they enjoyed is now gone.

It is also interesting that though Delhi now has a vastly spread Metro rail network, people still prefer owning a car. Could there be any specific reason behind this ?

It would be interesting data to collate if one could point out the number of cars owned before the metro came in and the number of cars owned after the metro came in especially for Delhi.

Speaking of Southern cities, vis Bangalore/Hyderabad, i think it can be fairly attributed to the IT boom these cities have enjoyed.

Regards
Dieseltuned
Dieseltuned is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th July 2015, 16:37   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
It is also interesting that though Delhi now has a vastly spread Metro rail network, people still prefer owning a car. Could there be any specific reason behind this ?
Yes public transport could be one reason, but infrastructure and land area is also another important factor which plays an important role here.

Unlike Mumbai/Chennai which are costal cities, Cities like Delhi+NCR, Bangalore & Hyderabad have the liberty to expand the land area, as it isnt constrained by water bodies, this might impact hugely on growth of laying new roads as well
Old 8th July 2015, 16:39   #7
Senior - BHPian

Great compilation. You should do a similar thing for two wheelers ! I dont think you can attribute one or other reason for the numbers. It just shows the number of people having the means and mind to purchase cars that match.

you can try to give an apt name to the thread
Old 8th July 2015, 17:20   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Battle of the Cities! City-wise car sales data

Great thread. No real surprises at the top. Interesting to see 3 Kerala cities in the top 20. No wonder driving in Kerala is becoming a nightmare.

Is the data available at a manufacturer level? Like Hyundai sells x units in Bangalore. Would be interesting to see if there is any preference for specific brands/cars in specific cities.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2015, 18:14   #9
Senior - BHPian

This is good information. It will be a good idea to find cars sold per people for each of these cities by factoring in population of these cities as well. This may give some indication of the dependency on cars and also on the affordability by respective city dwellers.

On a first look, it looks like Chennai'ites are the least dependent on cars, may be partly due to the excellent public transport systems in the city while some of the tier 2 cities like Jaipur and Cochin seems to appear on most of the lists indicating a lack of good public transport and/or better affordability.

Btw, it will be interesting to check if this ratio in anyway represents the membership on this forum !

Last edited by vasoo : 8th July 2015 at 18:21.
Old 8th July 2015, 18:18   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Is the data available at a manufacturer level? Like Hyundai sells x units in Bangalore. Would be interesting to see if there is any preference for specific brands/cars in specific cities.
Yes, it needs to be worked upon, I shall share the OEM wise if its easy enough to filter it out.
Old 8th July 2015, 18:28   #11
BHPian

Interesting thread indeed. Cochin in the top 10 is least surprising considering super tight jams we encounter everywhere everyday . Cities like Delhi & Mumbai have more than 10 Million in population, while Kochi has just around half a million! However, the road infrastructure here is as pathetic as it can get . It seriously makes me wonder what all road tax collections in the state translates into. Even if the government were to spend a fraction of what they earned via road taxes on land transport infrastructure, situation would have been been drastically different.

I'm sure this analysis has some interesting insights in store.
RSM_TorqueZoner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2015, 18:40   #12
Senior - BHPian

Here is a quick sheet put up with the calculation of cars sold per thousand people in each of these cities. As expected, the smaller cities in Kerala seems to be leading the pack.

The population is taken from wikipedia which may not be up-to-date or include the larger "metropolitan area" in most cases.
Attached Images

vasoo is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 8th July 2015, 18:44   #13
Senior - BHPian

Mumbai data may be a bit skewed, since we can spot a large no of high end cars and SUVs bearing Marathwada and some other hinterland registration numbers. So technically the cars are not registered in Mumbai, but are driven and parked within the city. People in Delhi/NCR cannot do this, since Delhi is surrounded by other states, so the data may be a bit more real.
Regarding infrastructure, people in Mumbai understand that a car is a poor way to commute, considering the north south orientation, heavy traffic and slums and other bottlenecks. People here are forced to use public transport, not because it is world class, but because traveling by road increases ones travel time (both sides) by over 2 hours compared to a train...
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2015, 18:48   #14
BHPian

Very interesting thread indeed. WOuld love to see what brands are preferred and by whom (Tier wise)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
The vast differnece between the numbers for Delhi and Bombay could be attributed to a very vast and organised public transport network. A huge combination of suburban trains running on 4 lines (Western, Central, Harbour, Trans - harbour) + BEST buses + 1 metro line (VAG corridor)+ 1 Mono rail line (Wadala - Chembur) , all contributing to keeping the car volumes low as compared to Delhi. I have not included the Auto and Taxi fellows here,thoough they are large in number simply because they have started behaving like any auto wallah from a tier 2 city. The reliabilty that they enjoyed is now gone.

I think one reason could be that land is little more premium in Mumbai than Delhi, and by that i mean availability not price. Also I know so many people who have cars but use them only on weekends and prefer public transport for their work. Buying a car is so emotional and aspiration thing that we tend to buy it even when we can comfortably do without it. A thread on those lines by fellow-Bhpian Link
naikameya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2015, 18:53   #15
BHPian

Looks like Chennai'ites prefer sedans and upper hatch than SUVs. I am happy that the maximum position chennai has in any list is four. Atleast the city is not getting as crowded as the other cities.

Also, bangalore has always had a high spending culture comparing to Chennai so its no surprise they are in top 3 in most of the list. But i just pray that this wonderful city and its climate is not deteriorated by this over crowding vehicles.
klassics45 is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed