Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2015, 18:58   #16
BHPian

Re: Battle of the Cities! City-wise car sales data

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Here is a quick sheet put up with the calculation of cars sold per thousand people in each of these cities.1
Also following are penetration of cars in various countries per 1000 people in comparison to India

1. India : 18/1000
2. US: 809/1000
3. Japan : 588/1000
4. China : 113/1000
5. UK : 519/1000
6. Malaysia : 361/1000
7. Thailand : 206/1000

Last edited by slamnos : 8th July 2015 at 19:00. Reason: Incomplete sentence
slamnos is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th July 2015, 19:07   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Growth is good and all, but I seriously hope future growth is a little more balanced & spreads out to other developing cities like Pune, Indore, Mysore etc. Scary statistics the way it stands.
It is only on paper that Pune is considered as Tier II. Name a list for anything in India and Pune always appears soon after the Metros and is the only non state capital.

Pune's growth is now at par with a lot of fastest growing cities in India that one can refer it as Tier II city. Thanks to burgeoning IT Industry, this has changed the face of it over the last decade and added so much in terms of Vehicles, Populations and expansions.

It badly suffers from Traffic issues and no wonder why apart from Bangalore, Chennai, Mumbai we have Pune as one of the favorite destinations to discuss traffic woes here on Team-Bhp.

What I had posted earlier in a similar thread is what you are mentioning. Create options within your state for people to move around. Karnataka has least Urbanization (& Industries to cater to various fields) that an Engineering or even a Commerce Grad will flock to Bangalore for Job hunting.

At least in Maharashtra, the case is not the same. Mumbai, Pune, Nashik, Aurangabad have some big brands spread across multiple sectors which attract grads from different streams. No wonder MH also has one of the highest vehicular densities mainly coming from Pune and Mumbai alone!

In Gujarat, Ahmedabad-Surat-Rajkot alone can boast some big numbers when it comes to owning luxury cars. Same is the case with Chandigarh-Jallandhar-Ludhiana.

The statistics posted in this thread are Interesting: We now have a trend of what sells more (and where). Something that we always wanted to know.

Quote:
Here is a quick sheet put up with the calculation of cars sold per thousand people in each of these cities. As expected, the smaller cities in Kerala seems to be leading the pack.

The population is taken from wikipedia which may not be up-to-date or include the larger "metropolitan area" in most cases.
When we refer to Pune (In terms of City or Size), it is always Pune + the Suburb of Pimpri Chinchwad which itself appears again in the list of top cities in India (Population). So ideally, the math would change in terms of No of vehicles per 1000 Population.

Pune - 3,115,531
Pimpri - Chinchwad - 1,729,359

I am more than sure that the data in this post also factors Pimpri-Chinchwad along with Pune when it says Pune. There is no doubt about that.

Here's another interesting thread that should interest on similar lines:

Delhi has more cars than Bangalore, Mumbai & Chennai combined

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 8th July 2015 at 20:01. Reason: Consecutive posts merged.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th July 2015, 19:48   #18
Senior - BHPian

The reason why I mentioned that metro areas may not be included is the big difference in population between Chennai and other metro cities like Bangalore. Cochin is also supposed to be more populated than trivandrum. I also see in the wikipedia page that separate line items exist for many suburbs/satellite cities of Mumbai, pune, etc.
Old 8th July 2015, 20:08   #19
BHPian

It is a combination of several aspects - Infrastructure, Population, Spending power and culture to name a few.

If we look at similar data from previous years, my hunch is that Bangalore is slowly climbing up the ladder due to several factors:

- IT/ ITES boom contributing to a exponentially increasing middle to upper middle-class population with increased purchasing power

- STILL pathetic infrastructure. BBMP probably is made up of the most incompetent people in this country. They are clueless on how to handle the population growth. Even the new areas/localities being planned have narrow roads! Where is the learning here? There have been several traffic bottlenecks for a while now (Tin Factory, Silk Board etc) which will never be solved. I think the BBMP folks can write a book titled "How to suck at civic planning and design awesome traffic bottlenecks"

- Public Transport - I think the BMTC can only go so far. Metro? What Metro?

BTW. Car penetration in this country is still low compared to China. These numbers will only go up! Good news for the economy. Bad news for the environment.
loki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2015, 20:42   #20
Senior - BHPian

Good thread, the one an automobile maker compiles.

I would like to know the petrol/diesel distribution where both variants are available. It would be interesting to know what is the ratio in Goa.

There is big gap between Delhi and the rest. Is such gap due to the Central and State government vehicles?
Old 8th July 2015, 21:09   #21
BHPian

Slamnos, thanks for this. I feel this data is quite an eye opener.

Do you have further granularity in this data, such as class of vehicle sold per city in terms of price band? Example for the lac odd cars sold in Mumbai, how many were in the 0-5 lac, 5-10lac, 10-15 lac etc ranges?
Old 8th July 2015, 21:33   #22
BHPian

The actual urban population of kochi is a lil over 2.1 million.
The car sales are better compared to the UA population. The corporation limited are artificially small.
Old 9th July 2015, 00:17   #23
BHPian

Most MPVs in Mumbai is an eye opener. More weekend outings it seems.
Old 9th July 2015, 06:47   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
More to do with preference to practicality over show.
Look at the sheer SUV, crossover sales in Delhi. The only MPV sales there would be the cab walas.
Old 9th July 2015, 09:32   #25
BHPian

Nice report. I am just guessing, one reason for the huge numbers in Delhi might be due to lower OTR prices compared to other cities. There might be many customers staying elsewhere but getting the car registered in Delhi just to reduce the OTR amount.
Old 9th July 2015, 09:34   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamnos View Post
Also following are penetration of cars in various countries per 1000 people in comparison to India

1. India : 18/1000
2. US: 809/1000
3. Japan : 588/1000
4. China : 113/1000
5. UK : 519/1000
6. Malaysia : 361/1000
7. Thailand : 206/1000
And we claim that we are going to Overtake China. I think, this is indicator enough how poor we are.
Quote:
Here is a quick sheet put up with the calculation of cars sold per thousand people in each of these cities. As expected, the smaller cities in Kerala seems to be leading the pack.
In Kerala, although the width and quality of roads lag behind other states, roads exist almost everywhere, even in remote villages. And then, Kerala leads other states in rural per capita expenditure.
Old 9th July 2015, 10:03   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
You got it. Half my relatives are in mumbai, and almost all of them have big cars / SUV's that are used only for outings. In city they have no issues with public transport and cabs. Where as in Pune we practically have one vehicle per head, as no other practical option exists.

Rahul
Old 9th July 2015, 10:25   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
There is big gap between Delhi and the rest. Is such gap due to the Central and State government vehicles?
It's mainly because of NCR, and the geography and population associated with it. If New Delhi alone is considered the sales numbers can be compared to Mumbai and Bangalore metropolitan areas.
Old 9th July 2015, 10:36   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamnos View Post
It's mainly because of NCR, and the geography and population associated with it. If New Delhi alone is considered the sales numbers can be compared to Mumbai and Bangalore metropolitan areas.
Please add two more factors: weather and a culture of owning multiple cars in a family.

Great thread. I was wondering why Chandigarh is even in the contention since its a very small city. It eventually came up in the premium SUV list. Guess all those Fortuners plying on the road had to show up somewhere
avisidhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2015, 10:53   #30

It is very interesting . It would be good to understand how the data was taken . Was this the car sales in one year? Was it compiled from the RTO's or dealers ?
Kerala is a different ball game. Many people from Malappuram district come to Calicut to buy their cars . So I wonder if this is city wise or district wise. Nevertheless interesting . It would make sense if we know how the data was compiled.

Most Viewed