Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2015, 10:54   #31
BHPian

Re: Battle of the Cities! City-wise car sales data

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
You got it. Half my relatives are in mumbai, and almost all of them have big cars / SUV's that are used only for outings.
Along with the general preference of families buying 3 row vehicles. Taxis have a major role in purchase of MPVs. It's not only for tourist but major chunk goes in ferrying corporates, expats etc.

Hence MPV purchase also shows up in cities which are corporate heavy.
slamnos is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2015, 11:05   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Mumbai data may be a bit skewed, since we can spot a large no of high end cars and SUVs bearing Marathwada and some other hinterland registration numbers. So technically the cars are not registered in Mumbai, but are driven and parked within the city. People in Delhi/NCR cannot do this, since Delhi is surrounded by other states, so the data may be a bit more real.
Regarding infrastructure, people in Mumbai understand that a car is a poor way to commute, considering the north south orientation, heavy traffic and slums and other bottlenecks. People here are forced to use public transport, not because it is world class, but because traveling by road increases ones travel time (both sides) by over 2 hours compared to a train...

I completely agree with you. Lot of vehicles purchased in Mumbai are getting registered in Raigad district to avoid octroi charges. Also since I have lived in both the cities for quite a long time, I can say that in Mumbai mostly you will find one car per family but in Delhi many of the families have two or more cars. Excellent transport system and lack of parking spaces in Mumbai also contributes in restricting number of cars per family.
Anurag.Bansal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2015, 11:24   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajr747 View Post
It is very interesting . It would be good to understand how the data was taken . Was this the car sales in one year?
So I wonder if this is city wise or district wise. Nevertheless interesting . It would make sense if we know how the data was compiled.
As mentioned in the thread the sales period is between Apr 2014 - Mar 2015.

The data is taken from an official centralised source and not from dealers or RTOs.
slamnos is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2015, 11:27   #34
BHPian

Great compilation Slamnos.

When ever I go to Delhi, I see very less two wheelers and lots basic Maruti cars. The trend clearly shows.

Back in Chennai its mostly two wheelers. Probably chennai will top the 2 wheeler sales. This has made the roads very unpredictable and not a safe place anymore. Very few people buy cars and most of them are parked and they use public transport or company busses (Every IT, Manufacturing or any other companies, operate fleets of busses to pick and drop employees unlike else where in India). Car population will most likely be lower than other metros.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamnos View Post
Also following are penetration of cars in various countries per 1000 people in comparison to India

1. India : 18/1000
2. US: 809/1000
3. Japan : 588/1000
4. China : 113/1000
5. UK : 519/1000
6. Malaysia : 361/1000
7. Thailand : 206/1000
We will not be able to go closer to any of the countries listed above unless the infrastructure is planned and developed ahead and revisions in duty. Duties should be reduced in cars, 2 and 3 wheelers should have higher duty and the govt should discourage people from buying 2 wheelers enpecially for a family with children.
Old 9th July 2015, 12:13   #35
BHPian

Oh My God, Bangalore has the highest growth rate .

No wonder it is taking me 2 hours to reach office.
Anyone knows public grievances email of BBMP? we should forward this to them.

I will start using Public Transport ASAP.
Old 9th July 2015, 12:31   #36
Senior - BHPian

Bengaluru has way too many two wheelers compared to any other city. Also, most car owners have two wheelers and most commute on them to avoid the hassles while driving a car. The weather also allows one to do that.

So too many cars might not actually mean too much traffic due to just more cars. Most of them are parked at home.
Old 9th July 2015, 12:37   #37
Senior - BHPian

Its ironical that Bangalore scores in top 3 for almost every segment. Yet the Bangalore Roads may not rank even in top 10 indian roads !!

I would love to see some rating on top indian cities to drive/Road quality.
Old 9th July 2015, 13:07   #38

Quote:
As mentioned in the thread the sales period is between Apr 2014 - Mar 2015.

The data is taken from an official centralised source and not from dealers or RTOs.
Wonder what is the car sales for Mangalore City which has one of the highest car ownership per capita in India . All Luxury brands like BMW,Audi have theie showrooms in that city and now JLR is opening India's largest showroom /Service Centre there.(News has not been confirmed officially). The showroom /Service will be ready in August.(Whopping 61000 sq feet plus 40,000 sqfeet parking and ameneties)
Old 9th July 2015, 13:30   #39
BHPian

The cars per thousand people is highest in kerala.Calicut ,Kochi and Trivandrum tops the whole list in the country.A total mystery how this is happening, considering no productive industries in kerala except remittance from gulf.I think the whole country follows the kerala method to prosperity.
Old 9th July 2015, 13:51   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajr747 View Post
Wonder what is the car sales for Mangalore City which has one of the highest car ownership per capita in India
I shall share Mangalore specific sales data separately.

In terms of cars/1000 Mangalore might be above average but in terms of absolute numbers especially in premium cars it's no where close to Top 10 cities.
slamnos is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2015, 13:51   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindrider2626 View Post
The cars per thousand people is highest in kerala.Calicut ,Kochi and Trivandrum tops the whole list in the country.A total mystery how this is happening, considering no productive industries in kerala except remittance from gulf.I think the whole country follows the kerala method to prosperity.
As per this website: http://www.mapsofindia.com/top-ten-c...ownership.html

Chandigarh has the highest per-capita cars India. Here the list.

1 Chandigarh
2 Delhi
3 Panaji
4 Chennai
5 Alappuzha
6 Shimla
7 Vadodara
8 Cherthala
9 Coimbatore
10 Thiruvananthapuram
Old 9th July 2015, 13:55   #42
vdm
BHPian

What an amazing thread & it's equally amazing to know the number of car's sold in each segment in the top ten cities. It's a very interesting data you have put on. I wasn't expecting Coimbatore to figure in top 20 auto markets. Some really amazing facts & figures.
Old 9th July 2015, 14:27   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunanb View Post

Back in Chennai its mostly two wheelers. Probably chennai will top the 2 wheeler sales.
Pune tops two wheeler sales with 38% of the population owning one, followed by Ahmedabad with 28% Chennai and Lucknow tie for a distant third with 21%.
http://www.wricities.org/sites/defau...BARQ-India.pdf In absolute numbers too it is Pune Ahmedabad Chennai Hyderabad.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2015, 15:09   #44
RSR
Senior - BHPian

This is an excellent thread with very informative data, slamnos!

Call me a bit twisted, but I'm somewhat relieved to see the small de-growth as far as Chennai is concerned!

This city is already bursting at its seams with people and vehicles. It's only made worse by the sheer lack of traffic sense among drivers & riders. The terribly hot & humid weather does not help in making it any better a place to live, as congestion and vehicular pollution only makes the place more unlivable.

What this place needs badly is an improvement in the quality of life of its residents, and not more quantity in the form of people and vehicles!

So while I'm a bit relieved to see the de-growth, I still have my concerns about vehicular population explosion in Chennai. This is because of the following statement:

Quote:
This grouping of the above mentioned cities is consistent in all the data shown in this thread and other major cities like Bangalore, Chennai, Pune etc are defined by the sales happened in the defined district boundaries.
The growth / explosion (of human population and vehicular population) is happening primarily in areas which happen to be part of the neighbouring districts of Kanchipuram and Thiruvallur (and such sub-urban & peri-urban areas are considered a part of "Chennai metropolitan area").

Does the de-growth apply to "Chennai metropolitan area" as a whole? I would be a bit surprised if it did, not to mention being a bit more relieved!

I think it's high time for Tamil Nadu as a whole to focus on enhancing the quality of life for the state's existing residents.

Chennai and other cities of Tamil Nadu do not need more people and vehicles. Vehicular growth can happen in the rural areas of the state. The cities are already bursting at their seams.

Improvement in the quality of life and not growth in the quantity of people and vehicles should be the aim going forward.

Quote:
Let me start with zone-wise sales, the below map shows the split between our 4 zones.
How are the four zones defined?

Of the four, I think only South is easily defined as the states of Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Kerala and Tamil Nadu, plus Puducherry (& maybe Lakshwadeep).

I guess there may be some ambiguity regarding the zones under which the following states come under - Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Rajasthan, Bihar and Jharkhand. What about Andaman & Nicobar Islands? Are they classified under East or South? Or are they clubbed together with Lakshwadeep under a separate fifth zone called Islands?

Some clarification on this would help. Thanks!

Last edited by RSR : 9th July 2015 at 15:13.
RSR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2015, 16:03   #45
Senior - BHPian

Curious to know what is the source of this data/statistics. Is it primary source with actual sales figures or interpolation of various other statistics? I couldn't find this information. Just academic interest.

Last edited by Sudipto-S-Team : 9th July 2015 at 16:15.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks