Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2015, 13:12   #31
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Scoop! Third-gen Skoda Superb spotted testing in India EDIT: Launched at Rs. 22.68 lakhs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
For starters, travel on the rear seat of a Superb - you will begin to hate the E-class rear seat.
The game has moved on. It's the new Camry that now has the best backseat...better than the Superb too. It's more supportive, has a better recline angle (adjustable too), is wider and the Camry has superior low speed ride quality. Lastly, the Camry's air-conditioner chills the cabin faster than the Superb's. If you really want to forget an E-Class, test the Camry .

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
I hope Skoda has not started using thinner metal in the name of weight reduction
It's based on the MQB platform, just like the new Octavia. I expect it'll be & feel lighter (just like the Octavia does vis a vis the Jetta).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldo View Post
But remember the Octavia (current) launch: Skoda testing the car in a bright red shade all over the country, we drooling over it, many many months passing by without an actual launch, and finally a year long waiting period after the launch.
Not to mention their woefully low allocation of cars which led to 6+ month waiting periods !
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th July 2015, 13:41   #32
Senior - BHPian

re: Scoop! Third-gen Skoda Superb spotted testing in India EDIT: Launched at Rs. 22.68 lakhs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The game has moved on. It's the new Camry that now has the best backseat...better than the Superb too. It's more supportive, has a better recline angle (adjustable too), is wider and the Camry has superior low speed ride quality. Lastly, the Camry's air-conditioner chills the cabin faster than the Superb's. If you really want to forget an E-Class, test the Camry .
Don't really need to test a Camry separately, have enough experience on our local taxis here. Its good, yes. I still think the old Superb has the best legroom in that segment, lets wait for you guys to test the new one out.

The Camry is nice and will probably outlive the owner, but it still feels pretty tinny and road noise does filter in quite obtrusively. Not sure of the equipment levels back in IND, but out here the base model is VERY basic.
Old 14th July 2015, 10:28   #33
Senior - BHPian

I feel pricing is going to be very crucial for the success or failure of this good car. If they are going to price it close to 40 Lakhs , potential buyers have a lot of option now from the Big 3 ( Audi , BMW and Merc ), if they are willing to cross shop at this price range.

At 40 Lakh price range , you get a gigantic badge value , better resale and better customer support from the big 3. Not sure if Superb's space and comfort advantage will be able to sway potential customers from that.
stanjohn123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2015, 15:51   #34
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
have enough experience on our local taxis here. Its good, yes. I still think the old Superb has the best legroom in that segment

But see, that's the thing. Legroom is one of those qualities that you need 'enough' of. Let me put it in pizza terms = I can swipe a 10" pizza clean. Now, I don't care whether Dominos offers a 12" or 16", to me 10" is all I can eat. It's a similar thing with legroom; as long as there is enough for me to stay comfortable & stretch, I'm happy. After a certain level, it's not necessary that the more legroom a car has, the more comfortable it is. That's where things like seat comfort (Camry is better) and ride quality (Camry is better over rough roads) are the clinchers.

Quote:
road noise does filter in quite obtrusively.
The Indian one is very well insulated. Suspension is silent too. Wind noise at high speed is the only downer.

The Camry Hybrid is super silent, more so than the Superb too. At low speeds, there's no content = it's electric vs petrol.

Quote:
Not sure of the equipment levels back in IND, but out here the base model is VERY basic.
Try out the one with the adjustable recline angle. It'll blow your mind for comfort. The seat is the best in the segment.

Last edited by Rehaan : 14th July 2015 at 17:57. Reason: As per RP.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th July 2015, 04:07   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The game has moved on. It's the new Camry that now has the best backseat...better than the Superb too. It's more supportive, has a better recline angle (adjustable too), is wider and the Camry has superior low speed ride quality. Lastly, the Camry's air-conditioner chills the cabin faster than the Superb's. If you really want to forget an E-Class, test the Camry
I was testing cars here in the states and can say Camry has so much going for the price you pay and of all reason the reliability makes it a wiser choice over the german cars. Ride quality in that german car was definitely better but overall for India when you want to pay 30L for rear space, i would say Camry is a definite competition to Skoda.

No one can compare reliability or service woes between these two companies.

Only area i would be cautious is the overall ride quality. Its definitely great and the new generation ones are loaded with equipment.

High on features but to me it does not ooze the premium feel a skoda does when you step your foot inside that car.

Practicality should say Camry, but i vote for Skoda simply because of the feel of luxury that Camry cannot match anyday. Personal choice though.
Old 15th July 2015, 12:39   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distant Second View Post
So their higher prices are not only greed, but one aspect is to keep getting newer innovations in the industry.
Agreed. Now that I think of it, it does make sense. I assumed Apple and Xiaomi for comparison where Apple represents Merc and Xiaomi (or OnePlus or Micromax) represents Skoda. Apple has been a pioneer in technology and hardware innovations, and yet it is difficult to justify its premium pricing. While heart might pine away for Apple, head always recommends OnePlus. Coming to E Class Vs. Superb argument, the difference between them narrows down even further, with a slight possibility of convincing the heart too, to embrace a Superb.

PS: I have been using an iPhone for the past 2 years.
Old 15th July 2015, 14:54   #37
VKM
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakhar1998 View Post
Hate is too strong a term. We have a Superb in the family and I've travelled extensively in it. Yes, it trumps the E in space, but thats about it. The noise insulation is nowhere close to the E, the seats are nowhere near as supportive and plush as the E and well the ride of the E is leagues ahead. I commend Skoda for the bang for the buck it provides, but it can't (for its price point) provide the experience offered by brands like Mercedes.
very well put. My thoughts exactly. i love my skodas, they are VFM cars but can't beat the plush ride and the luxurious feel which are offered by a Merc or a volvo (as i recently found out, volvo s80 was right there with the E350cdi in terms of rear seat comfort and more fun to drive than the 'E' ). the premium one pays for these luxury cars is justified. if one has the money, why not?
Old 15th July 2015, 16:56   #38
BHPian

It's great to see the new Superb being tested in India. Indicates it is close to launch. Hope they price it well for the basic models. I doubt the starting price will be anywhere below 30 Lakhs on road. Like with the last gen superb (which came with the explosive 3.6 4x4 petrol) they should bring in high performance engine in both petrol and diesel. The market in this segment and a segment above has only the newly launched Volvo S60 T6 (FWD) in the name of performance. 328i has been discontinued :( .

If I were to choose between a low powered A4 and a high performance Superb, I would get the superb without a second thought.
Old 20th July 2015, 08:25   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

2016 Skoda Superb continues its test run in India. Now being spied in Pune . Could be launched at the Auto Expo 2016.

Scoop! Third-gen Skoda Superb spotted testing in India EDIT: Launched at Rs. 22.68 lakhs!-nextgen2016skodasuperbspiedpune1front.jpg
Scoop! Third-gen Skoda Superb spotted testing in India EDIT: Launched at Rs. 22.68 lakhs!-nextgen2016skodasuperbspiedpune2alloywheels.jpg
Scoop! Third-gen Skoda Superb spotted testing in India EDIT: Launched at Rs. 22.68 lakhs!-nextgen2016skodasuperbspiedpune3side.jpg
Scoop! Third-gen Skoda Superb spotted testing in India EDIT: Launched at Rs. 22.68 lakhs!-nextgen2016skodasuperbspiedpune5rearthreequarter.jpg
Scoop! Third-gen Skoda Superb spotted testing in India EDIT: Launched at Rs. 22.68 lakhs!-nextgen2016skodasuperbspiedpune6taillamp.jpg

http://www.indiancarsbikes.in/cars/2...atures-113637/
volkman10 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th July 2015, 16:02   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Just got info from a sales person that this Superb will be launched this year only i.e. around September end & deliveries around festive season
karan561 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 25th July 2015, 13:15   #41
BHPian

Wow, the new gen superb looks great and looks solid. I was browsing for the crash test video the superb and i got one from Youtube - the Euro NCAP crash test of the 2015 superb , its got 5 star rating which is expected from a car at this segment, nevertheless looking at the video we can see how well built the car is.

Now how many of it sells remain to be seen.

OT :

Hope they bring in the new Rapid here - Skoda please, the current rapid sold in India is such an old design, Vento gets face lifts and the Rapid remains the same?
The Observer is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th July 2015, 14:41   #42
Senior - BHPian

Maybe it will be launched here after the huge inventory been over at Aurangabad. But still the out going model would be far more cheaper than the new one. The host of features in the new car makes it a totally different car altogether. They have an opportunity to retain the existing model and launch the new one as Superb Laura.
Old 9th August 2015, 15:32   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Scoop! Third-gen Skoda Superb spotted testing in India

Just spotted the all new Superb in Pune before joining the Expressway;

Scoop! Third-gen Skoda Superb spotted testing in India EDIT: Launched at Rs. 22.68 lakhs!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1439114438.115260.jpg

Had the opportunity to speak to the driver from my window and ask him a simple Question.

"October mein launch hai ya November mein ?" & he Replied OCTOBER
karan561 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2015, 16:23   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
While I don't agree with it, everyone has moved up. On the road Mumbai, the Camry costs 35 lakhs (Hybrid = 41.50 lakhs ), Fortuner 4x4 MT 31 lakhs, Hyundai Santa Fe AWD 37 lakhs and the A-Class Petrol / Diesel is 35 lakhs.

Better you get used to the 30 lakh figure, buddy .
Whaatt!!! 41 Lakh for a Camry? Though it's a Toyota after all, so the overconfidence is quite understandable. When a 168 BHP Prado can be put up for a Crore, a Camry for 40 Lakh doesn't sound all that insane. And when the Prado itself touches the crore mark, it's better not to even talk about the big ol' LC!!
PS: That awkward moment when GTO himself ends up breaking the "2 smileys per post" rule..
Though I do feel two smileys are a bit too less for a large post. In this instant messaging age, where smileys are pretty much the norm in chatting, and no longer feel irritating as all are quite used to them, maybe five per post should be more like it.
mukul32 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2015, 14:23   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

New Skoda Superb Laurin & Klement India bound.

Quote:
The Superb Laurin & Klement has been spotted testing in India. But we are unsure about what to expect in the trim level when Skoda launches the new Superb next year. In terms of power, the Superb will uses the familiar 1.8-litre TSI petrol and 2.0-litre TDI diesel engines mated to six-speed or seven-speed double-clutch automatic gearboxes
Skoda could bring the Laurin & Klement top-end trim to India; test car spotted on Indian roads.
Scoop! Third-gen Skoda Superb spotted testing in India EDIT: Launched at Rs. 22.68 lakhs!-0_0_0_http___172_17_115_180_82_news_20150817014619_sub_side_main.jpg
Scoop! Third-gen Skoda Superb spotted testing in India EDIT: Launched at Rs. 22.68 lakhs!-0_0_0_http___172_17_115_180_82_news_supb_int_.jpg
Quote:
In international markets, the Laurin & Klement trim sits atop the new Superb’s range. Standard features on the trim include heated seats, adaptive dampers with three drive modes, 18-inch alloys, umbrellas stowed in the front doors, electric adjust front seats with lumbar support and memory function, three zone climate control, parking sensors, an 8.0-inch touchscreen infotainment system, bi-xenon headlamps, keyless entry and an electric tailgate. However, lower trim levels get smaller infotainment systems and alloy wheels.
http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...nd-396933.aspx

Last edited by volkman10 : 17th August 2015 at 14:26.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks