Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2015, 01:09   #1
BHPian

Scoop: Force Gurkha BS-IV spotted testing at Khardung La

Scoop: Force Gurkha BS-IV spotted testing at Khardung La-img_20150627_151333.jpg

Scoop: Force Gurkha BS-IV spotted testing at Khardung La-img_20150627_151346.jpg

Saw a couple of Gurkhas with the 'On Test' stickers on them earlier this week in Leh. They were all very heavily wired up and one of them (in the pic) was standing with the hood open at Khardung La. Got to speak to the guys who were driving it and they told me these were the test mules for the BS4 engine and requested me to delete the photo I had clicked of the engine bay.

It did not look that as awful in real life as it looks in the photos.
codelust is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2015, 09:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Force Gurkha on sale again. Launched @ 6.25 Lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by codelust View Post
Got to speak to the guys who were driving it and they told me these were the test mules for the BS4 engine and requested me to delete the photo I had clicked of the engine bay.

Before the naysayers start off, let me say this is a good discovery. Given Force Motors timelines, lets say another year before the BS4 hits the market. While the mules use the same interiors as the existing car, here's hoping that the production BS4s will come with some ergonomic improvements.
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2015, 14:06   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1388391

Saw a couple of Gurkhas with the 'On Test' stickers on them earlier this week in Leh. They were all very heavily wired up and one of them (in the pic) was standing with the hood open at Khardung La. Got to speak to the guys who were driving it and they told me these were the test mules for the BS4 engine and requested me to delete the photo I had clicked of the engine bay.

A part of me patiently wishes that this BS4 engine is the OM611 rather than another derivative of the old warhorse.
Old 2nd July 2015, 15:49   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Before the naysayers start off, let me say this is a good discovery.
I salute your patience and optimism sir... But unfortunatly the record of this company is not that great. There are many others like our avid Force Optimist Mr. 007 who has put his neck out for Force Motors only to see the Samurai sword thrown by Force Motors on his neck .

If you read the reviews, the engine is the biggest flaw, but there are other serious issues with ergonomics that are not acceptable of a 10+ lakh vehicle. Every time I bring this up, the standard reply from parrots that work at Force or the fans is that "It is meant to be an off-road vehicle so pay 10 Lakhs shut up and put up and drive it off road only"
4x4addict is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2015, 17:04   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
A part of me patiently wishes that this BS4 engine is the OM611 rather than another derivative of the old warhorse.
Unfortunately, the photo I had of the bay had to be deleted. The gentlemen kept referring to the engine as CRDI, which, by itself, does not help much.
codelust is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2015, 17:12   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately, the photo I had of the bay had to be deleted. The gentlemen kept referring to the engine as CRDI, which, by itself, does not help much.
It does!!

If you note, their traveller has two engines, one the TD 2650 Direct Injection (Gurkha presently has this engine) and second is the "Common Rail" TD 2200 (which they call as CR16 but is essentially the OM611!! - The 220 CDI engine).

So we do have something to look forward to.
1100D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2015, 23:57   #7
BHPian

Quote:
It does!!

If you note, their traveller has two engines, one the TD 2650 Direct Injection (Gurkha presently has this engine) and second is the "Common Rail" TD 2200 (which they call as CR16 but is essentially the OM611!! - The 220 CDI engine).

So we do have something to look forward to.
Ah, I have nearly zero knowledge/information about these things, so take what I am going to divulge with a pinch of salt.

Below is a photo I found online of the OM611 engine in the Trax.

Scoop: Force Gurkha BS-IV spotted testing at Khardung La-om-5.jpg

The gentlemen at K-Top that I mentioned fiddling with the engine bay were trying to do something to stop a stream of clear liquid flowing out of the contraption with a blue band that is stuck to the firewall. I have no idea what that thing is or what it does. But it does not seem to be there in the older engine.

In any case, the lack of force with which Force acts on the Gurkha, it will be many moons before this sees the light of the day.
Old 3rd July 2015, 00:25   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Below is a photo I found online of the OM611 engine in the Trax.
That looks like the Engine Bay of the Force Traveller (this picture cannot determine if the engine is indeed OM611)
Old 3rd July 2015, 01:02   #9
BHPian

Quote:
That looks like the Engine Bay of the Force Traveller (this picture cannot determine if the engine is indeed OM611)
Ugh. My apologies. The pic is indeed from the review of a Force Traveller fitted with the OM611.
Old 3rd July 2015, 10:57   #10
BHPian

4 x 4 addict seems to be more optimistic than me... your close follow up says it all.

But whatever is it, the RFC season is close & sometime nearby the launch of of BS4 engines.

Two engines.. 1) CRDI 2650 & 2) CRDI 2200.

The chassis are being modified extensively for better NVH, & accommodate these engines.

Above engines are developed.. pilot batches for both are planned in this month.

Also a new engine is under development CRDI 2000.. but it will take time. That's possibly for a new Trax.

Have a jubilant day ahead.
007 Bond is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2015, 14:58   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 Bond View Post
4 x 4 addict seems to be more optimistic than me... your close follow up says it all.
It is more curiosity and bewilderment everytime some newbie gets exited about the Gurkha. For someone like me who actually bought one in 2008 and sold it immediately, there is not much optimism left after 7 years..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 Bond View Post
The chassis are being modified extensively for better NVH, & accommodate these engines.
Above engines are developed.. pilot batches for both are planned in this month.
Looks like this company is involved in perpetual R&D. They may as well change to an R&D company cause none of their *development* makes it to production, except stretched sheet metal...
4x4addict is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 14:55   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Before the naysayers start off, let me say this is a good discovery. Given Force Motors timelines, lets say another year before the BS4 hits the market.
Yes, and with a sticker that says 4x4x4x4 for the new BS4 achievement. Soon they will find it cheaper to have a (4)n badge.

There was a time when we thought they would be the ones to bring out a true-blue offroader, but the way they have bungled and messed up a good platform leaves no scope for optimism. The only force they seem to have is in the name.

Last edited by Steeroid : 16th July 2015 at 15:03.
Steeroid is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 15:00   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Yes, and with a sticker that says 4x4x4x4 for the new BS4 achievement. Soon they will find it cheaper to have a (4)n badge.
As long as they bring it out in time and price it decently, I don't care if the sticker reads 4X4X4X4X4X4X4X4X4X4X4X4X4X4
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 15:20   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Scoop: Force Gurkha BS-IV spotted testing at Khardung La

Quote:
As long as they bring it out in time and price it decently,
As the saying goes "if only wishes were horses ..."
Old 17th July 2015, 08:31   #15
Senior - BHPian

Re: Scoop: Force Gurkha BS-IV spotted testing at Khardung La

Yesterday evening at the Mulund tollnaka, around 630pm or so, I spotted a silver grey Force Gurkha 4x4x4 in traffic. What's surprising is that it has a Mh04 number, which meant it as registered as a Bharat IV vehicle!!
It had a family (husband/wife and two small kids) inside, and looked very comfortable and chic. The overall look was of a land rover defender if I may compare. There was none of that cheap jugaad feel one gets when we see a Thar. It looked purposeful and built to tackle the rough and tough with élan.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks