Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2015, 16:51   #1
Team-BHP Support

CVT version accounts for 40% of Honda Jazz bookings

Last week, Honda launched the Jazz hatchback in India. Bookings for the car had been open since June 15.

CVT version accounts for 40% of Honda Jazz bookings-download.jpg

The Jazz comes in 1.2-litre petrol and 1.5-litre diesel versions. While the petrol version is available with a 5-speed manual transmission or a continuous variable transmission (CVT), the diesel gets a 6-speed manual gearbox.

According to internal sources, the petrol version accounts for 65% of the total bookings received against 35% for the diesel. What is surprising is that bookings for the CVT variant stand at 40%, while those of the manual variant stand at just 25%. Honda's internal estimates had pegged the demand for the CVT variant at a maximum of 30%. Now the company is planning to increase the production of the Jazz CVT to cope with the higher demand.

The CVT is available on the S and V trim levels of the car, priced at Rs. 6.99 and 7.85 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi) respectively. With the CVT, the car has an ARAI certified fuel economy of 19 kpl. The manual version can manage a relatively lower 18.7 kpl.

The Volkswagen Polo GT TSI is the only other car in the B2 segment that offers an automatic option. It uses a 7-speed dual clutch transmission. The car is priced at Rs 8.48 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi).

Source: Autocar India
Aditya is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 16:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: CVT version accounts for 40% of Honda Jazz bookings

Read on the Creta thread that it has good number of bookings for Auto variant !! Seems market is finally waking up to the requirement of Auto tranny cars !!
Old 16th July 2015, 17:15   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Read on the Creta thread that it has good number of bookings for Auto variant !! Seems market is finally waking up to the requirement of Auto tranny cars !!
I still remember the problems I had getting my Brio AT. Our market seems to have finally changed, or is it the excellent kpl figure keeping the punters interested.
Old 16th July 2015, 17:19   #4
Team-BHP Support

What's the real-world average expected to be like for the 1.2 Petrol - CVT gearbox combo?

Brio AT has the same engine but not the same gearbox I believe. 19 kmpl sounds more like an ARAI daydream.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 16th July 2015 at 17:23.
Old 16th July 2015, 17:35   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
What's the real-world average expected to be like for the 1.2 Petrol - CVT gearbox combo?

Brio AT has the same engine but not the same gearbox I believe. 19 kmpl sounds more like an ARAI daydream.
All ARAI figures are daydreams, but then you put a correction of say 30% to get the true value. Remember a CVT can be more efficient that a manual - always in the best ratio, and a lighter box.

Last edited by ampere : 17th July 2015 at 10:19. Reason: Fixed typos as requested
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 17:49   #6
BHPian

i20 does not have an Automatic, correct? Seems, the CVT would be the crucial factor for Jazz's success vs the i20.
Old 16th July 2015, 18:43   #7
Senior - BHPian

The fact of the matter is that driving around Indian cities are getting tougher each day. The new fuel efficient automatics provide much needed relief to people driving in heavy traffic and badly planned roads. Secondly, lot of people have travelled abroad and they have exposure to automatics . Once you taste the convenience of an AT, I believe most of the people will not go back to manuals as automatic will fulfill the driving needs of a majority of folks.
Most of the Indian manufacturers have failed/ misjudged this shifting dynamics towards AT’s.

Honda did a grave mistake of not providing the CVT variant in VX trim. Hopefully they will correct there mistake sooner than later.
tj123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 18:49   #8
BHPian

Thanks Aditya.
Apart from the percentage splits you shared (by fuel and transmission), do we have actual number of bookings Jazz has received? Please share if you have those.
Old 16th July 2015, 19:42   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Seems in line with the trends seen in the Jazz review thread. For a diesel it makes more sense to go with the i20. The manual petrol is evenly matched and those looking for lots of space would definitely go with the Jazz.

The AT is what sets the Jazz apart, the Jazz is the only real option for most. The GT TSI will not appeal to the mass market and is still more of a niche product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76 View Post
i20 does not have an Automatic, correct? Seems, the CVT would be the crucial factor for Jazz's success vs the i20.
Right, i20 does not have an AT variant and that is quite shocking. I think they will come out with one pretty soon. I don't think they have a choice now. There were some rumors floating around related to i20 getting a diesel AT. But looks like that remains a rumor for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I would not expect the Jazz CVT to return very good mileage figures. Based on the reviews, the low end performance is on the lower side, which means the transmission will need to work harder and I would expect owners to do a lot of heavy foot driving. CVT's don't like to be driven with a heavy foot and can drop the mileage drastically. The City CVT in a city like Bangalore returns 10-11 and that is with a much more capable engine. I would assume the Jazz CVT could return something similar in City driving. The Brio AT with its Torque Converter is also not known for great mileage.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 20:08   #10
Senior - BHPian

Good that the consumer is focusing on Automatics for a change. Both Jazz and Creta threads seem to be validating that fact.

Good for Honda that they decided to plonk an AT in the Jazz. Will help them sell some decent stock compared to the Elite i20.

CVT wouldn't be the best to extract performance from the engine but driven correctly, it can be a lot more fuel efficient than the MT in the long run.
Old 16th July 2015, 20:20   #11
JD1
BHPian

This is indeed good news with the acceptance of Automatics increasing. Honda missed a big one by not releasing Jazz in 2014 and lost a lot of customers to i20. Similarly i20 missed a big one by not releasing automatic variant (myself included - but then i still stayed within Hyundai family by purchasing Xcent AT). Hyundai should have atleast offered AT variant this year to counter Jazz CVT sales.
Old 16th July 2015, 20:57   #12
BHPian

It really seems that our market is really taking to Automatics now. Very heartening to see the bookings that the Creta and Jazz ATs have got.
Given the state of traffic on our roads these days, an AT is definitely a preferred option for a less stressful drive. My next car will definitely be an AT.
Old 16th July 2015, 22:05   #13

Honda somehow has been the flag bearer of CVT globally followed by Nissan. Probably because of weight considerations.

I have driven Honda Civic Hybrid with CVT; the initial acceleration n shift points is sluggish!
However the same at cruising speeds it offers decent performance.
Old 16th July 2015, 23:27   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
All ARAI figures are daydreams, but them you put a correction of say 30% to get the rue value. Remember a CVT can be more efficient that a manual - always in the best ratio, and a lighter box.
I have the new City CVT and its never done better than 10km/l. I was told its more efficient than the manual !!
The new age CVTs are lovely to drive but they don't BEAT the efficiency of a manual and i know for a fact that the City Manual does 12KM/l comfortably.
With the Jazz, people should expect 12-13 Km/L mAX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76 View Post
Hyundai seem to be missing a trick here and this is a real shocker
They have a blockbuster of a car and they still haven't launched at AT ?
I think the I20 Auto is just a month or 2 away given the Jazz's CVT Success.
Hyundai has the weapons and they wont let Honda enjoy an easy charge in this category.

Last edited by ampere : 17th July 2015 at 08:40. Reason: Back to back post merged
nik_kapur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2015, 00:06   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
I have the new City CVT and its never done better than 10km/l.
The new age CVTs are lovely to drive but they don't BEAT the efficiency of a manual and i know for a fact that the City Manual does 12KM/l comfortably.

See there, you have brought out the major reason for this shift in preference towards auto boxes. A reduction in fuel efficiency just by around 2 km/l hardly matters to a buyer in the premium segment. The accompanying comfort and convenience is priceless, thanks in no small measure to the chaotic traffic condition in our cities.

Finally the Indian car industry seems to be maturing. Hope all car manufacturers take note of this shift and bring out diesel autos also. As volumes pick up the price difference between the auto and manual can also be narrowed down.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks