Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2015, 11:54   #1
BHPian

Hyundai cuts features on Elite i20

Official communication on features change in Elite i20. Clearly I was one among the most affected(Sports variant).

Also note their second point "no change in the prices". Although around 10th of April, the dealer informed me about the rise in price of all variants.

Hyundai cuts features on Elite i20-capture.jpg
Source Hyundai dealer -Erode
Hope it helps everyone.
ANewExperience is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 13:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai cuts features on Elite i20

Hyundai has made some features changes on all trims of the i20; prices remain unchanged.

As part of the changes, all trims of the i20 now get different seat upholstery and no longer get a ticket holder. The base i20 Era over and above the above change misses out on a passenger vanity mirror as well. The Magna trim gets no additional changes.
Sportz : No leather wrapped steering and gearknob, boot lamp and driver window auto up function and only one folding key instead of the earlier two. The Sportz (O) : No leather wrapped steering and gearknob as well.
Asta: One 12V power outlet in place of the two outlets it offered earlier.

Source : Autocar India

Last edited by Aditya : 16th July 2015 at 17:32. Reason: Adding source link
fz_rider is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 15:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz_rider View Post

Hyundai has made some features changes on all trims of the i20; prices remain unchanged.
Source : Autocarindia
I simply don't understand some of the strategies by leading auto players in India, especially Hyundai. Why give a feature an exclusivity when you will eventually skimp it out.

I mean, for starters:

- Getz Prime (GLS & GLX) came along with Driver Armrest, which only came about in 3rd iteration of its next gen avatar (I20).

- Getz Prime offered a light in the glove box, which is not been seen on any of the Hyundai cars since.

- I20 (up until I-Gen) was the only hatch below 25lks that offered Rear Disc breaks and now its a thing of past even on Verna!!
And now, Hyundai will still charge the same as before but will not offer anything close to what they did on earlier versions ??

I think the main culprit here is Hyundai trying to go Tata way (before Zest & Bolt), where you have so many variants to offer that you scare the customer right out of the showroom.

Hyundai must really follow Suzuki/VW/Skoda/Ford who offer either 3 or max 4 variants across models. Take one simple advise:

Keep it Simple and Stupid.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 16th July 2015 at 15:46.
Vik0728 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 17:42   #4
MSC
BHPian

Re: Hyundai cuts features on Elite i20

There is no logic in these deletions especially the Asta. What will Hyundai save by deleting one 12V socket. Not more than 100 odd bucks.
In other variants Hyundai might save couple of thousands.
But what might be the reason? Only God and Hyundai know the reason.
Old 16th July 2015, 17:50   #5
Team-BHP Support

Its the old adage of make hay while the sun shines. Hyundais are lapped up in India. So they now feel emboldened enough to make these changes at random without a related cost reduction anywhere (things like removal of rear disks). Customers on their part have the option of taking their business elsewhere. If they do that Hyundai will soon be back in line. But then will the Indian customers do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSC View Post
There is no logic in these deletions especially the Asta. What will Hyundai save by deleting one 12V socket. Not more than 100 odd bucks.
In other variants Hyundai might save couple of thousands.
But what might be the reason? Only God and Hyundai know the reason.
Its simple. If I sell 35000 cars in a year and if I can on an average reduce say Rs.1000 from the cost of manufacturing each vehicle then I actually show an annual cost saving of Rs. 35,000,000 a year. Not bad, eh! And you thought only you folks do 6-sigma projects and undertook cost reduction blackbelts in your organization?
Zappo is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 17:55   #6
RSR
Senior - BHPian

What happened to the rumoured touch-screen AVN unit on the top variant? Are they going to do another change for cars produced from 1st July onwards?

Along with the rumoured head unit change on the top variant, a passenger airbag needs to be added to the Sportz & Sportz(O) variants, or at least the Sportz(O). Also, a driver airbag needs to be added to the Era & Magna variants, or at least the Magna. A price hike for the additional airbag would be okay, but the inclusion needs to be done ASAP!

Other manufacturers need to learn a lot from Ford when it comes to offering an excellent safety feature spread across variants (on the Figo Aspire).

Last edited by RSR : 16th July 2015 at 17:56.
Old 16th July 2015, 17:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

This could be because Jazz is short of several gizmos which Hyundai thought it would have at the time of it being introduced in India.
Now that the cat is out of the hat, Hyundai decided to curtail on certain features which would not require efforts.

Cheers to Honda for helping Hyundai !
i74js is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 18:00   #8
BHPian

So first Hyundai took away the rear adjustable headrests in Verna.
Then they took away the rear disc brakes in the Verna.
Then they thought "Oh! why give it to i20? Indians don't need them" so they took that away too.
Later, the 6 airbags were reduced to two.
And now these deletions!

They should rename their "Elite" i20 to "Delete" i20
RavSam is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 18:34   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
Then they thought "Oh! why give it to i20? Indians don't need them" so they took that away too.
And now these deletions!

Laughed a lot reading about Deletei20

Once a thief, always a thief. Earlier it was designs, now it is a theft from customers' pockets.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 18:54   #10
BHPian

Is this the Jazz effect?

Manufacturers leap frogging each other with additional and better features was ok, but this one looks like a reverse jump .
nug1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 19:36   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
And now these deletions!

Ha ha gud'un. And people were ridiculing the plastic cover in the Jazz in place of the Button Start. How ridiculous is this? Go figure
Old 16th July 2015, 19:37   #12
BHPian

When big companies start operating purely on basis of bean counters, it leaves a very bad taste and lower perception in consumer's minds.

Why does Hyundai want to delete functional features like boot lamp and ticket holders from a car?! Skimp on a luxury feature and we can understand but cutting out essential features like what they have done makes you wonder the loss of humane connect from these brands!

Just look at Ford, I appreciate and respect that they are giving safety features standard on all variants of the Aspire. It conveys that the brand cares for its consumers and this builds long term loyalty.

Thumbs down to Hyundai for this short term thinking.

Last edited by trek : 16th July 2015 at 20:02.
trek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 19:54   #13
Team-BHP Support

How much does a ticket holder cost, REALLY?

With toll-booths mushrooming everywhere one dares to tread these days, it's become a must-have.

No point complaining though. 'Take your business elsewhere' isn't a valid argument either. Most of the competition is worse, and the ones that have a better product either can't be bothered to supply enough to meet demand, or have A.S.S. that will make corpses cringe.

The customer is screwed either way.

P.S. It's the same Hyundai that provided 60:40 rear split seats, boot-lamp and other knick-knacks by default even in a budget sedan (Accent), and now these are features one can't have even if they pay top dollar for their most expensive premium hatch variant. Most other manufacturers aren't any better, lest this be considered an anti-Hyundai rant. I'm an ex-Hyundai owner, and a happy one too. Would I buy another? I doubt it.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 16th July 2015 at 20:02.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 20:46   #14
Senior - BHPian

It's the opposite of what car manufacturers do abroad. There they add features YOY, here they delete them. Honda Jazz and i20 are excellent examples. Just look at the drool worthy US Fit, loaded to the hilt.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 20:53   #15
Senior - BHPian

It seems so ridiculous, you even suspect it's a grand well thought scheme from Hyundai. Could it be to differentiate the i20 Active as their premium flagship hatch? (contrived thoughts to find some logic behind this move) They could have as well not offered these originally with the i20 and hiked up prices under the pretext of a refreshed model offering some namesake 'extras'

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks