Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2015, 13:21   #16
BHPian

Re: June 2015 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

• Dzire overtaking the Alto is a surprising maneuver in the Maruti stable. Others are holding their forts solidly. Looking at Celerio diesel, even if Maruti brings a Coupe with a Suzuki Gixxer engine, that well sell in thousands too.
  • Tata Bolt at 458 units in June 2015. I can safely say that in a town like Jalgaon, even when they do not have their dealerships, brands like Audi, Mercedes and BMW can be seen often than a Bolt. Zest at 1800~ is another failure, and the Aspire will further have its share of pie from the Zest numbers.
  • Toyota Etios and Liva holding their territories is a good sign. I think Tata should focus on those private customers, who are least interested in design, cosmetic features and electronic wizardry; but focus more on mechanical reliability, low cost of maintenance and fuss free ownership. I opine that the number of these kind of customers will grow over the years.
  • Ford Fiesta at 20 units is a disappointment. This offering should be actually competing for the number 1 or 2 spot in the C2 segment, but the atrocious pricing and discontinuance of petrol engine has killed the product. I don't see a change in the fortunes of Fiesta as Ford is all for the Aspire, etc.
In all, a satisfactory month for the auto companies. Rating the thread 5 stars.
Swapnil4585 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th July 2015, 13:23   #17
BHPian

Mod Note : There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use a spell-checker.

Last edited by GTO : 17th July 2015 at 16:26.
quattroa4 is online now   Received Infraction
Old 17th July 2015, 13:25   #18
Senior - BHPian

Nissan Sunny? Better products were launched?

Sunny's USP was the leg room at the back and it is now close between City, Ciaz and Sunny in that scenario.

Considering Honda City's reputation and Maruti's service back up along with a quality product, it is not surpise the Sunny lost out. It wasn't exactly a looker as well to begin with.

Even the feature loaded Verna is finding it difficult to trump the lead duo.

Last edited by GTO : 17th July 2015 at 16:26. Reason: Quoted post deleted
SchumiFan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2015, 13:25   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The Nissan Sunny has literally rolled down the buyers' slope! What is Nissan thinking about revamping the Sunny's sales, I wonder. For a VFM proposition in the C2-segment, it has really fallen down. No doubt, Nissan's pathetic and smaller After Sales' Service is the major contributor here.
Sadly, this seems to be the case. I own a Sunny from 2012 and touchwood, have had absolutely no issues with the car... Workhorse, so easy to drive in the city, proven diesel engine, good highway cruiser, decently loaded features, very fuel efficient, acres of room. GTO will vouch for the reliability of this car.. Pretty much the same feature list as the Ciaz, ticks all the right boxes, wows none but offends none either and comparable pricing too, but see the delta in the sale units... Probably shows the power of the Maruti brand and the lack of faith in Nissan in India.
aroonanand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th July 2015, 13:25   #20
Senior - BHPian

Tata Safari + Storme sell over 900 units for the second month in a row. Still way lower than what Scorpio and XUV 500 manage. One of these was my Storme. Hopefully, more people will find it good value for money when they compare it to smaller CUV's which cost a shade less than what this beast sells for. It may not be as gizmo rich as its competitors but is decent SUV. Tata Motors should however offer Airbags in the lower variants as well. Any vehicle priced in that range iirespective of the variants must have airbags and abs .
rajneeesh is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2015, 13:29   #21
Senior - BHPian

Great Thread and highly awaited Aditya.

Few observations and questions!!

1) Fiesta+ Classic= 20??

Am i dreaming? Fiesta, an all new offering from Ford and such a massive dud.
Capable, good looking, handler, efficient= Dead on arrival!!

Understandable if these nos. were attributed to Classic alone as it is being replaced by the newer and more competent(maybe not in the handling department though) Aspire.

2) Sharp drop in Ciaz
Could be attributed to the market wait for the Creta/S Cross. Yet, fail to understand how and why City continues to hold on to its position?

Ciaz, other than the 1.3MJD is no lesser than the H car. Also, the iDtec is not a refined unit as well.

3) Bolero in the 6K Range
Bolero had always been the M&M rockstar with sales on an average of 8.8K all year through(last FY).
It is a shade at 6K. Again, sort of understandable as the rural market is going through a down turn

4) The Leader
Maruti Dzire "sales will tank"- Zest Launch
Maruti Dzire" Death Knell"- Amaze launch
Maruti Dzire"Down and Dusted"-Xcent Launch

Yet, Maruti Dzire is the top selling car of the country.
With an average Ex showroom price of Rs.7 lacs(diesel+ Petrol combined considering VDi is its top seller), Maruti makes about Rs. 1470 crores just selling Dzires alone .

i.e Rs. 7,00000 X 21000= Rs. 14,700,000,000

Dzire will go from strength to strength and it is the fringe players that gets affected.

5) Why is GM and Fiat alive?

Again, with a cumulative sales of ~3K(Tavera accounts for 33% of these) how does GM survive?

FIAT fares worser with a sub 1K figure. The silver lining though is their national engine which gives them margins to sustain, marginally.

Why s GM here? No products, no support and now the recall fiasco.

Which again bring me bck to the question of recalling 1,60,000 cars.
They sell say an average of 3500 cars/ month=42,000 cars/annum.

therefore, 1,60,000/42000=3.81
All cars sold by GM is close to 4 years is being recalled!!
Fantastic for the reputation.

6) Jazz and i20
Two premium products and will do well.
i20 is a proven top bill. Jazz(pricing fiasco included), should sell.

7) DATSUN and wrong strategies
The Nissan/Renault strategy is falling apart.

Datsun strategy was a wrong move. It is showing. The have shot themselves in the foot by introducing Datsun and further increasing their overhead costs. Not good for a company that is already having wafer thin dealer network and margins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
  • Ford Fiesta at 20 units is a disappointment. This offering should be actually competing for the number 1 or 2 spot in the C2 segment, but the atrocious pricing and discontinuance of petrol engine has killed the product. I don't see a change in the fortunes of Fiesta as Ford is all for the Aspire, etc.
Swapnil,
Beg to differ on your views of atrocious pricing of the Fiesta.
Yes, the pricing was atrocious during the first launch.

However, with the facelift, Fiesta is one of the most VFM sedans in the segment and pricing wise, sits the lowest among its competitors.

The lack of petrol is a factor though.
However, the biggest factor is the way Ford themselves have handled the car

Right from the initial drab newspaper ads to handling the showroom crowd, it was a total disappointment.
What more, there have been innumerable instances when prospective Fiesta clients have been asked to defer their choice for the Eco Sport or even the Classic!!!

It is Ford who killed the Fiesta, market just followed up on what Ford initiated.

Last edited by GTO : 17th July 2015 at 16:28. Reason: Merging back to back posts
arnabchak is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 17th July 2015, 14:04   #22
BHPian

• The Grand and Elite duo are going from strength to strength, which goes on to show that Indians want their cars to be VFM, not cheap (take notes Toyota). Hyundai surely knows a thing or two about making small cars.
  • The Jazz's 2k dispatches look decent, and should settle down at the 4k level IMO
  • The Amaze cements its #2 position in the segment. Cars like the Zest and Xcent deserve to do better. The upcoming Figo Aspire is one to watch out for.
  • The City shows no signs of decline, even after almost 2 years of being on sale. Goes on to show the all rounded nature of the car and the customer's trust in the brand. Nice to see Maruti finally getting it right with the Ciaz. It's a great value for money proposition.
    The Vento/Rapid can't hold a candle to the City/Ciaz. The Sunny is way too overpriced, and can do better only after it sees a price cut and better promotions.
  • The Creta is surely gonna be a blocjbuster, and the Duster/Terrano are already feeling the heat. The S-Cross also has the potential to be a hit if priced and marketed well. BTW, what's with the Ecosport? If the same car was sold by Maruti/Hyundai/Honda, it would've been selling 7-8k every month.
  • The Corolla continues to rule The D1 segment. The Elantra deserves to do much better IMO. The Cruze is dying a slow death.
  • The CR-V is doing pretty well for a petrol only 25 lakh rupee SUV. The Sante Fe is doing pretty well too.
    Surprising to see the Camry overtake the Superb, despite the lack of a diesel engine. Indians are surely warming up to the concept of hybrids.
  • GM should be ashamed of themselves; none of their cars are selling well and there's no new and exciting products on the horizon.
  • The Kite is extremely important for Tata, with the Zest unable to create an impact and the Bolt being declared a flop.
  • Fiat - the less said, the better. Their last all new product was the Punto which was launched in 2009. That's 6 years ago. And internationally the Linea/Punto are about 8 years old. No wonder their sales figures are that low. Mitsubishi is surviving only on the Pajero's brand name.

Last edited by Aaron:) : 17th July 2015 at 14:08.
Aaron:) is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th July 2015, 14:24   #23
BHPian

Finally the numbers are here. Thanks Aditya.

And the biggest surprise, Alto has been beaten by its elder sibling to the top spot. I still cannot believe it.

Chevrolet
They need a revamp big time. Tavera is outselling the Sail siblings and the Enjoy sales seem to have got stuck around the 500 units mark. Cruze sales probably down due the news of Cruze 2016 and much better products offered by the competition and also better cars available in the lower C2 segment.

Datsun
Only 2 products and neither could make a major impact to launch the company to higher grounds of recognition has caused a steady downfall for both Go and Go+.

Fiat
I think the company is suffocating itself. Maybe they are happy with the amount they make from selling engines to other manufacturers and don't even try to push up their own vehicle sales.

Ford
Surprise surprise! See what a bad brand image can do to a good product, Fiesta is your example. Ecosport alone seems to hold the fort for Ford India.

Honda
Amaze numbers are up almost 85%. Combined with the sales figures of Dzire, it seems compact sedan segment is on its way to overtake hatchbacks. Good to see a decent start for Jazz. Hope the numbers to dwindle down like the Brio. City still rules the roost. Honda brand is an excellent crowd puller.

Hyundai
Creta seems to have eaten into the pie of Verna. All other products continue showing good numbers, will please Hyundai. The i10 seems to be nearing it end. 2015 may be its last year, we never know.

Mahindra
Heavily skewed sales. Remove XUV, Bolero and Scorpio and maybe the Datsun will outsell Mahindra.
Interesting to see that Verito Vibe is classed as a Sedan in C1 segment.

Maruti
The king knows what the empire wants. Apart from the Ritz, all the other products selling like hot cakes. Wonder if Maruti launched something like a Go+, would it also be a runaway success?

Nissan
Single digit sales continue for Evalia. Terrano is the only bread earner in this family, with Micra doing odd jobs while Sunny seems to have become a full time liability.

Renault
Initial hype of Lodgy seems to have subsided, and people are returning to choose the Duster over the Lodgy. Pulse seems to have zero pulse and Scala out sold the Nissan Sunny this month, moral victory?

Skoda
Still waiting for the new gen Rapid. What is keeping from Skoda from launching it? And they still haven't brought a car into the hatch segment after withdrawing the Fabia. The other products are way to expensive to have big numbers on sales charts.

TATA
Surprisingly, even after having great cars like Bolt and Zest in their portfolio,
its the Indica and Vista which sell the highest. Sumo seems to have fallen into a deep pit and is no match for the Bolero. Good to see 14 people still bought the Aria last month. Nano sales may pick up in the coming months owing to the AMT.

Toyota
Good numbers of Innova aren't surprising but the Fortuner seems to be on a steady decline. Wonder what is causing this. Etios and Liva continue pulling people to the showrooms, but how many of these are sold for commercial use?

VW
Vento certainly seems to be back with a spring in its shoes. It almost took the 3rd spot from the lethargic Verna this month. Maybe the sales will continue being strong and the Bronze medal will finally be Vento's. Polo doing good numbers. Definitely time for VW to bring more products to India.

Mitsubishi sold no car in June! Is there anyone in HM even remotely interested in the sale charts?
drive2eternity is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2015, 14:59   #24
BHPian

Going by the figures Mahindra Verito should have figured in the TOP ten gainers list. Or am I reading the figures wrong?

Unless other wise companies set up sales and service facilities in the second and third tier cities, the sales will not pick up. With most people in India looking to change only in 5 to 10 year period, sales have saturated in the city for companies like Nissan, Renault (etc).

Last edited by GTO : 17th July 2015 at 16:29. Reason: Typos
dsr_rpm is offline   Received Infraction
Old 17th July 2015, 15:13   #25
BANNED

* The market is not growing. Some models eat into others' pie.

* 9 out of 11 models from Maruti except Gypsy and Ritz continue in top 20. That says a lot.

* Now, with the launches like Jazz, Creta and SCross, the 5.5 - 12L segment will get a boost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Does the Dzire number include this as well?
Yes. There is no information about the Tour version separately.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 17th July 2015 at 15:42.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2015, 15:36   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Dezire at top....lot of people felt it was destined for death when initially introduced because it looked like boot has been welded on to a swift
Yup, so much so, that unbelievably even i'm thinking of replacing my i10 AT with a D'Zire AT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KartJ View Post
Ford has killed the wonder machine Fiesta. Being a owner of 2009 Fiesta i can say that nothing can match Fiesta in terms of driving pleasure. I simply do not understand the psychology of Manufacturers in India, why they keep aside the aspiration of general public to a low preference. Indian buyers are no longer the primitive ones, now they have their preferences and choices. There is a word in hindi "Chirkutiyai", which means keeping away/out the small small facilities and features out of the reach of customers. Luxury Manufacturers viz BMW, Audi and Mercs have Doctorate in that. They think whatever they provide to indian Customers they will accept it, No its not, Now we are not the same one these days, Pl change your mind set and start giving authentic products to indian Customers. Initially Maruti and Tata has masters degree in that but now they are trying to change but their evolution period is so high that it irritates. Its a high time for Maruti to think of future competition, the way other manufactures are comming up its serious warning signal for Maruti but Maruti Top Management is still in its kumbhkarni Sleep.
With due respect to Ford, the only reason you see Maruti & the other Japs & Korean manufacturers do well is service network. Today with my Vento, the earlier dealer Tornado gave up his dealership & for months the service station was not operating. Maruti, Hyundai, Honda & Toyota ASC's are usually just around the corner. And even if not, they are so particular about service reminders, availability of parts, etc.

So my friend, Maruti very well knows the pulse. That's why they sell more than a hundred thousand cars a month. I have been off Maruti since 2001, but am thinking of going back simply because i don't have the time to worry about nitty gritties.

As my uncle said & still stands by it, jootey mein Bata, gaadi mein Maruti. You won't go wrong.

Last edited by anilkalvani : 17th July 2015 at 15:37.
anilkalvani is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2015, 15:43   #27
SDP
Team-BHP Support

• Amused to see the ugly duckling at #1
  • Happy to see XUV5OO making a re-entry into the top-20 after more than 1-1.5 years (IIRC)
  • Would Sunny survive?
  • What's wrong with Bolero numbers? New one just around the corner?
  • Looking forward to Creta becoming a huge success in a few months from now.

Last edited by SDP : 17th July 2015 at 15:49.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2015, 16:24   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
  • Amused to see the ugly duckling at #1
  • Happy to see XUV5OO making a re-entry into the top-20 after more than 1-1.5 years (IIRC)
  • Would Sunny survive?
  • What's wrong with Bolero numbers? New one just around the corner?
  • Looking forward to Creta becoming a huge success in a few months from now.
So true. The ugly one is indeed at # 1. There are so many reasons to dislike Suzuki in particular, I would like to see their sales take a nose dive. I could not figure out some facts like, Why Suzuki always disagrees that India is their largest market, Why they go up to an extent of even publishing ads in the national newspapers stating Maruti -Suzuki is just a small part of Suzuki, whereas the fact is exact reverse. Why major R & D work takes place in Japan, and not here. Why there are so few global launches in India by Suzuki? Don't know yet.

Last edited by GTO : 17th July 2015 at 16:55.
quattroa4 is online now   (3) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 17th July 2015, 16:30   #29
BHPian

I would like to add to the statistics with figures for segment-wise market share over a period of last month, 3 months and 6 months. These numbers give a fair picture of each vehicles market share within its own segment and whether they are gaining or losing. Plus the percentage market share and overall segment-wise sales are colour-coded to reflect relative position.

Segmentation might not be perfect but I have done it to the best of my knowledge. Have also highlighted (in yellow) top 10 sellers for each month over the past six months. Hope this is helpful.

Click on an image to enlarge / zoom:
Attached Thumbnails
June 2015 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-1.jpg  

June 2015 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-2.jpg  

June 2015 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-3.jpg  

June 2015 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-4.jpg  

jessie007 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th July 2015, 18:19   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
Swapnil,
Beg to differ on your views of atrocious pricing of the Fiesta.
Yes, the pricing was atrocious during the first launch.

However, with the facelift, Fiesta is one of the most VFM sedans in the segment and pricing wise, sits the lowest among its competitors.

The lack of petrol is a factor though.
However, the biggest factor is the way Ford themselves have handled the car

Right from the initial drab newspaper ads to handling the showroom crowd, it was a total disappointment.
What more, there have been innumerable instances when prospective Fiesta clients have been asked to defer their choice for the Eco Sport or even the Classic!!!

It is Ford who killed the Fiesta, market just followed up on what Ford initiated.
The facelift came after 3 years, a time, till when the car had already become a dud. And the facelift took away the petrol option. So I agree with you that Ford itself is not interested in pressing the Fiesta. And I know that they have no plans to launch the petrol Fiesta in the near future, which is sad and bad. But the major spoil sport was the expensive price tag back in 2011. We've the Aria, previous generation Jazz, Bolt, etc, as examples. Once dud, forever dud.
The good thing is, they're available at cheap prices in the used car market and you don't have to worry about spare parts .
Swapnil4585 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks