Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2006, 02:50   #1

Is it Possible to export a TATA car to USA?

Is it possible to import a Tata Indica or something similar to USA?.

Call me crazy but, I would love to see an Indian made car in USA.
I know that Bajaj Chetaks are sold here..But not an Indian Car..

Do you think TATA will ever want to sell cars in USA?.
Old 1st September 2006, 08:31   #2
BHPian

Where did you see Bajaj Chetaks in the US? A few years ago, I saw a scooter in the shelves of Target(!) for like $400 that looked better than the Bajaj Sunny. I forget who made those though.

With Petrol Hyundai Accents available for around $10000, I am not sure at what price point for an Indica would be. I think there is also a huge certification process involved. With a 0-100kmph of 17 seconds, it would be nightmare to drive these on the expressways for sure.
Old 1st September 2006, 09:26   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

OT: http://www.bajajusa.com/
Old 1st September 2006, 09:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

I don't know just how serious you are, but here are a couple of links.

Mind you, it looks like a tedious process and even the undercarriage has to be cleaned so they do not have any foreign soil to help guard against the possible importation of dangerous pests. You should have your car thoroughly cleaned and/or steam-sprayed before it ships.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/...t01092006.html

http://www.importexporthelp.com/importing-cars.htm
Old 1st September 2006, 11:34   #5
BHPian

Some time ago read a story in the Times of India Bangalore edition of an American couple who imported a Autorickshaw to the states. Will any of the Bangalore boys remember the story?

The answer, I guess, is possible. Is it worth the trouble? I don't know.
Old 1st September 2006, 12:27   #6
elf
BANNED

Sure you can...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99w210
Sure you can. It should be allowed under the cultural import quota that they use for circuses, funny-shows, & vertically challenged people (dwarves)! Please check with the local consulate for further information.

Quote:
Call me crazy
You're crazy.

Quote:
Tata would give their left nut (& I mean vehicular) to sell their cars in the States - however, selling isn't the problem - people wanting to buy one is.

And before you Tata fans go all crazy on me about how Hindustan Motors & Royal Enfield sold Ambassadors & Bullets in the UK, remember that they sell very few a month, & that too, it's bought because they're quaint & relics from the past.

Yes, the Tata cars are also relics, but they have the disadvantage of being cloaked in semi-modern bodywork. Plus their build quality might not survive something as strenuous as a palletized journey from Bombay to the States in a ship!

I'm probably gonna get flamed for giving my opinion, but for those of you who swear that Tatas are manna from the gods, PPPHHHHHLLLLLBBBBBHHHTTTT!

Last edited by elf : 1st September 2006 at 12:28.
Old 1st September 2006, 15:43   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I'm probably gonna get flamed for giving my opinion,....
You probably will....after we all stop laughing our guts out!! lol
Old 1st September 2006, 18:30   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

how about a idi non turbo charged 4 geared indica to be exported to US?
Old 1st September 2006, 19:43   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Call me crazy but, I would love to see an Indian made car in USA.
I know that Bajaj Chetaks are sold here..But not an Indian Car..

like we can expect it to snow here in madras/bombay/delhi/calcutta. yes, then i think it is possible. as much as we all indians would love to see anything indian, abroad, i think you are going overboard here. indica, as such, is not even fully 'evolved' for indian conditions. The indica in the developed world would look like the sub 1-lakh car here or maybe the sub 10k car here, if there was one.

the chetak, was an export model of bajaj. i think they exported mainly to europe, not to the usa.

well, i had my laugh, thanks, pal.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 1st September 2006 at 19:46.
Old 1st September 2006, 19:53   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf
Sure you can. It should be allowed under the cultural import quota that they use for circuses, funny-shows, & vertically challenged people (dwarves)! Please check with the local consulate for further information.

Tata would give their left nut (& I mean vehicular) to sell their cars in the States - however, selling isn't the problem - people wanting to buy one is.

I'm probably gonna get flamed for giving my opinion, but for those of you who swear that Tatas are manna from the gods, PPPHHHHHLLLLLBBBBBHHHTTTT!
HAHAHAH Elf you are hilarious man Completely agree with you here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman
how about a idi non turbo charged 4 geared indica to be exported to US?

But on a serious note 99w210 why would you want to export an Indica to the US?? You probably won't get any tires for it there, leave alone any spares!! And nobody's gonna want to service her for sure!
Old 1st September 2006, 19:55   #11
Senior - BHPian

In Cincinnati, Ohio there was this shop called Jungle Jims. They sell grocery stuff from around the world. On each stand, they had a vehicle representing the country that the goods in the shelf belong to. For Indian stand they had an autorikshaw....that too a battered one.
Old 1st September 2006, 20:19   #12

Seems like its too expensive...

Again, the only reason for me to think about a TATA is just the thought of seeing an Indian Automobile in USA. Like bajaj, TATA also exports some of their models right?. - export models must be definitely superior to the indian versions..

Dont you think indian companies like TATA should use the NRI community here, to test the market with their cars?...

I like the south korean community here..they almost always buy a korean car..either Hyundai or Kia...even though they are considered junk in the usa market..

Also, small cars are becoming popular ( Toyota Yaris, Honda Fit etc )because of the high gas prices..maybe its time that some indian company should try it out.

spares --> Yeah, Its tough...Should not be using it as a daily commute car..just as a show off.
Old 1st September 2006, 20:36   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani
In Cincinnati, Ohio there was this shop called Jungle Jims. They sell grocery stuff from around the world. On each stand, they had a vehicle representing the country that the goods in the shelf belong to. For Indian stand they had an autorikshaw....that too a battered one.
in one way, that makes sense, since autorickshaws & india are quite appropriate, but a battered one ??? makes me hang my head in shame...(dont you guys have an emoticon for that ???) i know, even i am part of that ... i have not contributed in any way to make this a better country, except for tha taxes that i cannot escape from, with a less than medicore salary. i wonder !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 1st September 2006, 21:21   #14
Senior - BHPian

There are ambys and Indicas in Lond so guess Indica would pass as an import to US of A.

Last edited by jkdas : 1st September 2006 at 21:23.
Old 1st September 2006, 21:44   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Havent seen this on my few trips to downtown SFO .. but the recent report of a rickshaw being taken to the US was from the east coast.

http://www.bajajusa.com/3%20wheeler%20applications.htm

Last edited by condor : 1st September 2006 at 21:46.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks