Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2008, 08:09   #31
BHPian

Renting a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-hawk View Post
Renting in goa cannot be compared to renting a car/bike in any of the cities !! In goa it is nt legal to do it for the matter it aint legal anywhere in the country to do it the goa way !! But scince it s a touristy place and even the police know s the local s do not have any better options to make a quick buck in season time hence it is quite chilled out . 600 buck s was a neat bargain which time of the year was it anyway ? and from where ?
This was South Goa, Near Colva Beach.
Time of the Year - May
Msg me individually if you want his contact number. I don't want to put the number on the public portal due to the legalities of it.
Old 29th October 2008, 13:11   #32
Senior - BHPian

Self drive 7 seater

folks - my parents are looking at a road trip down south (chennai - mysore - wayanad - cochin - cbe- chennai) in december. For this, they were looking at hiring a van that can accomodate an extended family. Ideally we were looking for a self drive option - so that ensuring that a driver hanging around is not a problem- but looks like there arnt too many companies that offer the self drive option for large vehicles.

so - does anyone know of anybody who can rent / lend a vehicle in the first week of december for about 10 days?

Thanks.
Old 29th October 2008, 14:19   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

What about Hertz car rentals ?
Old 29th October 2008, 14:46   #34
Senior - BHPian

There are ads in the Hindu classifieds for these things, hope you checked them out.

Did you consider the one ton ? Let me help you persuade Arka.
Old 30th October 2008, 13:29   #35
Senior - BHPian

@ TheMag - spoke to hertz, however, they offer only the Santro and some other small car as a self drive for chennai and bangalore, the innova is only available up north.

EL - would love to take the 1tonne- im sure dad will love the "relive the defence days" and the "wind in hair feeling" will be unique - butttt - at 5kmpl petrol - i might hvae to sell both kidneys to afford this trip.
Old 30th October 2008, 13:34   #36
Senior - BHPian

Recommend you to check out the following post and rest of that thread as well. Apparently Avis used to rent Innovas. Have you checked with them ?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...tml#post787685
Old 22nd January 2009, 09:00   #37
BHPian

Innova 7-seater self-drive rental in Chennai

Budget car rental (The US based company) in Chennai is offering the Ford Fiesta and Toyota Innova for self-drive rentals. They charge Rs1600/day and Rs 1800/day respectively. The franchise is run by the Mahindra dealer at Velachery. If the car is taken for more than 3 days they are offering unlimited kms, otherwise it is Rs 6/km for every km over 150kms/day.

Sounds like a decent deal, especially if you don't want to take your small car out of town and risk damaging it on bad roads. I'm thinking of trying it for a trip to Kumbakonam this weekend.
Old 22nd January 2009, 12:39   #38
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraveenM View Post
the Ford Fiesta and Toyota Innova for self-drive rentals. They charge Rs1600/day and Rs 1800/day respectively. The franchise is run by the Mahindra dealer at Velachery. If the car is taken for more than 3 days they are offering unlimited kms, otherwise it is Rs 6/km for every km over 150kms/day.
Effectively Rs. 12 per km for the Innova WITHOUT fuel (presumably). I can see why self-drive rentals aren't popular in India. Labour is just so cheap! I know someone who rents an Innova for her Mumbai - Pune runs @ 10 rupees per km WITH fuel.

However, the 3+ day package is decent due to the lack of mileage restriction. For those who really want to rent, drive themselves and drive a considerable distance.
Old 22nd January 2009, 13:43   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Effectively Rs. 12 per km for the Innova WITHOUT fuel (presumably). I can see why self-drive rentals aren't popular in India. Labour is just so cheap! I know someone who rents an Innova for her Mumbai - Pune runs @ 10 rupees per km WITH fuel
GTO,the 1800/day for Innova includes 150 kms and only if you exceed that you are charged @ Rs 6 / km. So when you compare with the Mumbai Pune ride @ Rs 10 / km, this turns out to be expensive by Rs 2/km because its effectively Rs12/km including fuel. And for the extra kms , @Rs 6/km its very reasonable.
All that for not having the annoying presence of driver and an extra seat. deserves a
Old 22nd January 2009, 16:10   #40
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodie09 View Post
GTO,the 1800/day for Innova includes 150 kms and only if you exceed that you are charged @ Rs 6 / km. So when you compare with the Mumbai Pune ride @ Rs 10 / km, this turns out to be expensive by Rs 2/km because its effectively Rs12/km including fuel. And for the extra kms , @Rs 6/km its very reasonable.
All that for not having the annoying presence of driver and an extra seat. deserves a
Simple calculation for a 400 km Mumbai - Pune trip:

Chauffeured Innova :

Rs. 4,000 = 400 kms x Rs 10/km

Self-driven Innova :

Rs. 1,800 = 150 kms base charge
Rs. 1,500 = 250 kms x Rs. 6 / km
Rs. 1,200 = Appox. cost of diesel.

Thus, the self-drive Innova would actually work out more expensive by 500 bucks for a Mumbai pune! Of course, for a longer trip, especially one over 3 days / 1000 kms, it will work out cheaper. Is there a market for self-drive rentals? Not too much (again, cheap labour).

Do I care? Nope. I am the kind of guy who will pay extra to drive myself.
Old 22nd January 2009, 17:05   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I know someone who rents an Innova for her Mumbai - Pune runs @ 10 rupees per km WITH fuel. .
10/km is really cheap for an Innova, she must be giving them a lot of business to get such a rate?

Quote:
However, the 3+ day package is decent due to the lack of mileage restriction. For those who really want to rent, drive themselves and drive a considerable distance.
, self-rentals are cheaper for very long distance driving.. Last time we hired an Innova of awith the driver, the guy was falling asleep on the wheel at 100kmph on a wet highway!! I feel far more safer driving myself. Sensible cab drivers are the exception than the norm (atleast in this part of the country). Given their hunger to earn more money they work long and crazy hours. Not to mention the absolute lack any driver eduction.

Last edited by PraveenM : 22nd January 2009 at 17:09.
Old 22nd January 2009, 18:20   #42
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraveenM View Post
Last time we hired an Innova of awith the driver, the guy was falling asleep on the wheel at 100kmph on a wet highway!! I feel far more safer driving myself.
Hey, brilliant point! An Innova would be much safer (to its own occupants and others on the road) in the hands of an educated experienced driver than a weary untrained cab driver. Safety could be the primary reason behind a self-rental.
Old 22nd January 2009, 18:25   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey, brilliant point! An Innova would be much safer (to its own occupants and others on the road) in the hands of an educated experienced driver than a weary untrained cab driver. Safety could be the primary reason behind a self-rental.
This is exactly the reason I do not trust random cab drivers and always insist on self driving. I don't wish to leave my life and that of my dear ones into the hands of some random dude whom I have no clue about.
Old 27th January 2009, 12:15   #44
BHPian

Any idea about what happens in case of a breakdown or an accident in case of a self driven rented car from reputed car rentals like Avis/ Hertz etc. I mean what are their policies regarding accidents/breakdowns. Will it be a good idea to rent a self driven car for a 10 day leh trip?
Old 27th January 2009, 14:13   #45
Senior - BHPian

In fact i am also planning to do the same. From what i know of, the deposit will be freezed and you will have to make the payment to release it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntrz View Post
Any idea about what happens in case of a breakdown or an accident in case of a self driven rented car from reputed car rentals like Avis/ Hertz etc. I mean what are their policies regarding accidents/breakdowns. Will it be a good idea to rent a self driven car for a 10 day leh trip?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks